Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - ComicFury - User Picks

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Community Projects & Art Trades > ComicFury - User Picks
Pages: [1] [2]

"ComicFury - User Picks", 11 days ago, 9:58 PM #1
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
Hey everyone!

I was inspired by another discussion, and decided to make a thread where the ComicFury users (that's you) can make recommendations as to their favorite comics each month.

All of the genres under the search functionality are listed here. Each month, one comic of each genre will be picked by you folks, and placed here in the opening post for curious readers to check out.

Comics picked will be first-come-first-serve, assuming the poster follows all the rules.

RULES:
1. You cannot nominate a comic that you are listed as an author on.
2. You must say which genre you are nominating a comic for.
3. You can only nominate one comic per month.
4. You cannot nominate a comic for a category that already has a comic.
5. You must include a blurb, at least one sentence long, telling people why they should read the comic in question.
6. The genre you nominate for must be the genre the comic is actually listed as (this means that off-site comics can't be nominated. sorry! you can still participate by supporting your friends!)
7. You must include a link to the comic.

If you accidentally forget a part of your submission, you can edit your post/make a new post, of course- but keep in mind that if someone else correctly nominates a comic in that same genre before you get around to fixing your post, your nomination will not count.

With that out of the way, here are the August 2017 ComicFury User Picks!

GAG-A-DAY:
Macey's Gaming Life
imageimage
Content Flags: V! L! N!
Recommended by MistakeNPotatoes: "It wears its Penny Arcade influence on its sleeve and is a funny take on modern gamers."

HORROR:
Blood Is Mine
imageimage
Content Flags: V! L!
Recommended by Bizfurd: "I haven't read a lot of horror comics, but Blood is Mine is a really good one. It's a sprite based comic, and it's interactive. It feels very tense and kind of creepy, which I guess is the point. It has an interesting plot and it's just a fun read. My only problem is that it updates too fast for me to keep up."

COMEDY:
The Settlers
imageimage
Recommended by Reaper Dragon: "When a demon possessed a preachers son things started to get interesting. A normal demon teen struggling through an abnormal life."

ACTION:
SwordCat Princess
imageimage
Content Flags: V! S! L! N!
Recommended by RaccoonEyes: "Great series, with awesome art and scenery, really worth checking out if nothing else than just to look at the artist's style."

FANTASY:
Imp
imageimage
Recommended by Nyomi: "It's a story filled with so many interesting concepts- particularly in the plot- that are executed well. It's always interesting to see what's going to happen next. If you've heard of "the brick theory" (which basically means you just keep throwing bricks at characters you love to see how they react) I feel as if this comic embodies that- but in a fascinating way. The art isn't anything spectacular, but I love the color palettes and the art is constantly greatly improving."

ROMANCE:
MAYBE LOVE?
Content Flags: none
Recommended by Keltyzoid: "at last, a chance to plug the greatest romance comic of our generation"

EROTICA:

SCIENCE-FICTION:
Pulse
imageimage
Content Flags: V! S!
Recommended by Tibbittz: "I can't say enough good things about the wonderful character work and the subtly clever reimagining of superhero tropes exemplified in Pulse. I want to call my own comic the best superhero comic on the internet, but Pulse's awesomeness prevents me from honestly attempting to do so. And, yes, the story's focus on the lead's bust size could seem off-putting on the surface to the uninitiated, but Annie Chang is three-dimensional in so many more ways than are obvious at first, and her brain easily outshines her other attributes. Of all the comics on the web, this one makes me say "Damn -- I wish I'd written that!" more than any other. I really can't recommend this one highly enough. You should binge it in one big go and then cackle maniacally that you got to read one of the best superhero comics anywhere FOR FREE BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

...seriously, it's shocking that you aren't paying Image $2.99 a month for the privilege of reading this comic."

SURREAL:

DRAMA:
Sean & Bailey
imageimage
Content Flags: V!
Recommended by JuicyGrey: "Why? Because it is interesting."

REAL LIFE:
Look Straight Ahead
Content Flags: L!
Recommended by Proxy170: "It's beautifully drawn and has a very good reflective story on mental health."

CUBE:

OTHER:
11 days ago, 10:07 PM #2
JasonD

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2016
Comedy: I'm FAB (Female at birth)

It's really funny.

edit: welcome back bluray! (he's my bro)
11 days ago, 10:11 PM #3
harajuku_Smittle_
Greasy grubby grimy thug
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
What's going to stop this from being another circle jerk™
11 days ago, 10:11 PM #4
BLURAY201

Registration date: 11th Sep 2016
Fantasy: Super Galaxy Deluxe Knights R

dangerously cheezay good
11 days ago, 10:31 PM #5
snuffysam

JasonD:Comedy: I'm FAB (Female at birth)

It's really funny.

edit: welcome back bluray! (he's my bro)

You need to provide a link to any nominated comic.

harajuku_Smittle_:What's going to stop this from being another circle jerk™

Restricting the number of recommendations to (at most) 13 people per month?

BLURAY201:Fantasy: Super Galaxy Deluxe Knights R

dangerously cheezay good

The listed genre of said comic is not Fantasy.
11 days ago, 10:55 PM #6
Nyomi
Drum bum
Registration date: 15th Jun 2016
http://imp.thecomicseries.com/comics/

nominating Imp for Fantasy! c: one of my favorite underrated comics on here.

i'm weak at hell at "reasons you should read this," beyond i find it enjoyable (i'm a very unfair and unbiased critiquer, as we all know /s) but, ah...

It's a story filled with so many interesting concepts- particularly in the plot- that are executed well. It's always interesting to see what's going to happen next. If you've heard of "the brick theory" (which basically means you just keep throwing bricks at characters you love to see how they react) I feel as if this comic embodies that- but in a fascinating way. The art isn't anything spectacular, but I love the color palettes and the art is constantly greatly improving.

ah man that's so weak and generic but i swear guys its a great read
11 days ago, 11:06 PM #7
snuffysam

Added to this month's list!
11 days ago, 11:58 PM #8
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Snuffy, I think one nom per category per month will not work. There are FAR too many fantasy-oriented comics, for just one example. And almost no one is going to nominate a Surreal comic or a Cube comic (whatever the flippin' heck that is).

That said, here's my nom:

Science-Fiction:
I can't say enough good things about the wonderful character work and the subtly clever reimagining of superhero tropes exemplified in Pulse. I want to call my own comic the best superhero comic on the internet, but Pulse's awesomeness prevents me from honestly attempting to do so. And, yes, the story's focus on the lead's bust size could seem off-putting on the surface to the uninitiated, but Annie Chang is three-dimensional in so many more ways than are obvious at first, and her brain easily outshines her other attributes. Of all the comics on the web, this one makes me say "Damn -- I wish I'd written that!" more than any other. I really can't recommend this one highly enough. You should binge it in one big go and then cackle maniacally that you got to read one of the best superhero comics anywhere FOR FREE BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

...seriously, it's shocking that you aren't paying Image $2.99 a month for the privilege of reading this comic.
10 days ago, 12:23 AM #9
snuffysam

Tibbittz:Snuffy, I think one nom per category per month will not work. There are FAR too many fantasy-oriented comics, for just one example. And almost no one is going to nominate a Surreal comic or a Cube comic (whatever the flippin' heck that is).

I don't expect there to be a Cube nomination every month (or ever, for that matter), it was just unfair to exclude them.

The point is just to limit the amount of comics recommended per month. The top few genres have roughly the same amount of comics, so it's not completely biased against Fantasy. If you want the thread to refresh more often (say every week instead of every month), then that's a different issue.

(Also, one aspect of the rules I haven't mentioned yet, because it isn't relevant yet, is that once a comic has been nominated, it can't be nominated again for a few months. Of course we won't get to every Fantasy comic out there, but we won't be stuck focusing on a few)
10 days ago, 12:52 AM #10
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
Tibbittz:Snuffy, I think one nom per category per month will not work. There are FAR too many fantasy-oriented comics, for just one example. And almost no one is going to nominate a Surreal comic or a Cube comic (whatever the flippin' heck that is).

If I'm remembering correctly according to someone who told me, Cube comics are like those Dilbert gag-a-day comics. Except being in a cubical makes it deserve its own genre.

I've literally only seen one of those since I've been here and its punchlines are usually waaay more hit than miss.

.. Mostly misses.

.. Barely any hits.

.. Never any hits.

.. The comic is never funny at all, okay?
Latest Update:  August 21st, 2017.
10 days ago, 3:10 AM #11
snuffysam

Huh, odd that it's a separate category. Were there so many of those kinds of strips at some point in the site's history that the categories needed to be separated?
10 days ago, 3:16 AM #12
MrTorchy

Registration date: 15th Feb 2016
-edit-

I nominate Satan Ninja 198X for Surreal

An extension of the long arm of the 80's, this fantastical comic blends together the charm of a PeterParker-esque lead, with the insanity of nearly everything that made the 80's great.
10 days ago, 3:20 AM #13
snuffysam

You do need to specify the category, as well as provide a link and a blurb about the comic.
10 days ago, 4:00 AM #14
RaccoonEyez

Registration date: 17th Apr 2017
I nominate SwordCat Princess for action.

Great series, with awesome art and scenery, really worth checking out if nothing else than just to look at the artist's style.
10 days ago, 4:28 AM #15
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
at last, a chance to plug the greatest romance comic of our generation
10 days ago, 4:37 AM #16
snuffysam

RaccoonEyez:I nominate SwordCat Princess for action.

Great series, with awesome art and scenery, really worth checking out if nothing else than just to look at the artist's style.

keltyzoid!:at last, a chance to plug the greatest romance comic of our generation

Okay, technically I never said you had to include the name of the comic in your post. But I'm watching you, kelty.

Both added.
10 days ago, 5:53 AM #17
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
There are only 2 pages of cube comics. This "genre" needs to be done away with*. The only decent one I could find is Oneiric, and it hasn't updated since last year. Almost all of the Cube stuff is dead.

(*Kyo.)

Merged Doublepost:

RaccoonEyez:I nominate SwordCat Princess for action.

...but whatever you do, don't READ it.*

*I'm kidding, of course. Thanks for the nom, Raccoon. I really appreciate it. And deities or lack thereof bless you for getting the stylized capitalization right -- I think you're literally the first one.:)

P.S. SCP will return with new pages after I finish relocating my ex, and then relocating myself.
10 days ago, 4:42 PM #18
Bizfurd
formerly ProRevo128
Registration date: 17th Mar 2016
I haven't read a lot of horror comics, but Blood is Mine is a really good one. It's a sprite based comic, and it's interactive. It feels very tense and kind of creepy, which I guess is the point. It has an interesting plot and it's just a fun read. My only problem is that it updates too fast for me to keep up.
10 days ago, 5:46 PM #19
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
Sean and Bailey, drama (at least it is listed as such). Why? Because it is interesting. You are asking from me, you are getting my answer...

Also month feels rather long time...
10 days ago, 6:18 PM #20
Reaper Dragon
🐉
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
The settlers
Comedy
When a demon possessed a preachers son things started to get interesting. A normal demon teen struggling through an abnormal life.

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
Forum > Community Projects & Art Trades > ComicFury - User Picks
Pages: [1] [2]