Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - help the apple figure out the thing

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > help the apple figure out the thing
Pages: [1]

"help the apple figure out the thing", 13th Aug 2017, 2:04 AM #1
Blockround

Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
hello friends

if you read cake fish you probably have noticed that it doesnt have the same quality (or lack of quality) that it used to
but for the life of me i just cant put my finger on exactly what is wrong

so if you have the time and feel like it, please give me some feedback on some recent strips (past month or so) and let me know what you like, or what you dislike about the direction it's been taking. while the purpose of the comic is and has always been for me to enjoy making it, it's just as much about making you lot smile and have a little giggle, so your input is greatly valued

this isn't a traditional critique thread, because there's very little to critique. either you get the style, or you don't and wonder why someone would make something so blatantly awful. if you have been following cake fish, you will know what i mean by that

if you dont read cake fish, you're welcome to throw in your two cents as well... although you may find it not to your liking, which is more than understandable. dont feel pressured to check it out in the first place, this is not a thread to attract readers

thanks very much

13th Aug 2017, 3:03 AM #2
RemoveraPersona
as seen on ComicFury
Registration date: 2nd Jul 2014
hmm tbh i've always liked cakefish because sometimes the jokes are weirdly.. familiar or expected? not like you expect everything that happens but more as in, like.. it seems the punchlines and conclusions make sense in their own weird way, and the use of language to portray a meaning in a more nonsensical way than saying something directly as it would be expected to be said (i.e. "it's crash" instead of "the plane is about to crash") always seemed to give more of an element of absurdity and humor to the pieces

The newer strips seem pretty similar to the old cakefish strips, with a similar style and delivery, but strips like meta and drive through do significantly contrast from most of the other strips. Meta differs because it quite literally explains the joke. Drive Through, on the other hand, differs in that there's a lotta words using a more sophisticated style of grammar than is used in most strips. Usually when the comic has more to say, it will be typed in lowercase and have a personal opinion on something (i.e. love) that is fairly insightful

there is humor to contrasting the more eloquent style of speech against the more rudimentary drawings to highlight the absurdity of the situation, but it's not really a general trend that i see rising in the comic, nor is explaining the joke (which seems to be more a one-off gag)

idk i don't wanna say I know what's going through your mind but I feel like, if you're going to say things like why go on or wonder what the huge difference in the comics feels like, I'm going to assume that's because you feel different now than you did when you were first making your comics? I know there's been a lotta being on and off and, I'd say, if you don't really feel content from doing cakefish or want to take it in a certain direction, there's nothing wrong with starting something new or trying to experiment more with the format than you have previously. If you feel like you're mimicking what used to be or not quite hitting the mark for how things should be, it isn't because the style of the comics is so vastly different overall (because it doesn't seem that way?) so much as there's probably something internal that's changing

like i said though, idk whats going through your head man
I just hope whatever it is it ends up working out for you, cause you're a pretty cool dude

~143~
13th Aug 2017, 3:16 AM #3
Blockround

Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
that's some genuinely potent insight you got there, rem. you may be exactly correct about a lot of things that i didnt even know.
thanks for taking the time friend, appreciate ya

13th Aug 2017, 3:49 AM #4
RemoveraPersona
as seen on ComicFury
Registration date: 2nd Jul 2014
no problem, pal
i just thought that if the change isnt really showing outwards its probably coming from inside because a lotta the times we'll go about our daily lives and, like, even though the routine is always more or less the same and our ability to do things (like draw, talk to people, etc.) pretty much remains there, sometimes it feels like everything's been thrown on its head when your perception or feelings towards things have shifted

if you ever need to vent or talk something out don't be afraid to PM me or somet

have a nice night!

~143~
Forum > Critique > help the apple figure out the thing
Pages: [1]