Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Patience to wait before posting a new webcomic?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Patience to wait before posting a new webcomic?
Pages: [1] [2]

"Patience to wait before posting a new webcomic?", 9 days ago, 1:18 PM #1
Izzzyzzz

Registration date: 12th Feb 2016
I know a lot of people on here have comics that are still a work in progress or are still in development, myself included. How do you guys keep up the patience to wait? I really wanna post my pages now but I have to build up a buffer first! How do y'all do it??
9 days ago, 1:22 PM #2
Derryzumi

Registration date: 13th Jun 2017
My way of doing it was to set a deadline- on X date, the comic is going live, and I have until then to make a big a buffer as I can! Trust me, it'll keep you motivated!
9 days ago, 1:44 PM #3
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
My patience posting LL is aided by my method of doing it. I write LL as issues, each issue being (about) 26 pages. 1 page is to be released a week. But I build the pages in Manga Studio (now Clip Studio Paint) as complete issues with covers, etc. I don't export the pages until the whole entire issue is done, and then I do a batch export. Given that, I couldn't really produce the first page (cover) of LL #1 until the last page (back cover) was done and the whole thing exported. Consequently, I had nothing to post until I was 26 pages in.

I could have done it another way but since I like doing it that way best... that gave me patience.

Also I know that I can't work any faster than I do, and I need a buffer because I *will* get busy. I don't want to have to go on hiatus so... I control myself. ;)
9 days ago, 5:26 PM #4
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Buffers make me lazy and self-indulgent. I had a buffer when I started, but I burned through it by taking WAY too long on new pages. Yes, even longer than my recent pages. A lack of buffer motivates me. This applies to almost no one else.

As for your comic, OP: post it! Post it now!

...you could likely use some "beta readers", as it were. Get some feedback while there's still comfortable time to make edits and such. Avail yourself of the wonderful opportunity to learn that is having your comic read and discussed by Furians like me.
9 days ago, 6:20 PM #5
30_Bouncyballs

Registration date: 29th Aug 2017
If you prefer to experiment, just go for it and see where it takes you. If you're the type that's trying to follow a world, tone or very specific atmosphere, take the time to build that up first.

For example, I'm going in the direction of world building, so I'm taking my time with Forever Gone. It's not just this story that's going to be intense, either. I have to be especially precise since I'm working on another story following the same setting.

So it really depends on you. Do you just want to see where it goes or is there a certain world you're trying to display?
9 days ago, 6:39 PM #6
Steven-Vincent

Caley Tibbittz Collopy:Buffers make me lazy and self-indulgent.

Yes this has happened to me a couple of times and I have had to scramble to get the buffer back. It's kind-of happening now although I was so far ahead it hasn't hurt me yet. But yes it is a danger.

However, I think if I was doing it weekly LL would have gone on multiple hiati by now. And I would not be happy with that either.
9 days ago, 7:30 PM #7
Fluffythespider

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Having no buffer starting out kinda taught me how to be motivated to continually produce pages. I wanted to work on them every week and have a deadline. Now I have a buffer, but I create pages regardless to the point where I have to update more often to cut it down a bit. I think it depends on the person and where you are at with how you are motivating yourself.

If you need a deadline to get things done, having a big buffer won't help you. If you get pages done regularly, then having a buffer can be a good safety net.

Also, if you know you won't be able to do pages continually (life often gets in the way of your projects), then having a buffer would be a good idea as well.
9 days ago, 7:38 PM #8
Steven-Vincent

My main problem with not having a buffer is that I would *have* to produce 1 page per week. Sometimes I just can't. For instance, if the rest of the artwork needs $400 worth of DAZ resources, I ain't spending that much in a week on that stuff. So I will save up, buy a bit at a time, and the art will just have to wait a few weeks until I can buy it all.

If I were on a week-to-week basis people would have to wait a month or more for the next page.

Then there is the fact that some weeks, like the week of exams (I am a college professor) and 1st week of school and weeks out of town and stuff would pretty much force me to get behind. With a buffer I can let those weeks go and still not have a problem.
9 days ago, 7:47 PM #9
ilayas

Registration date: 27th Jun 2013
For me having more than one reason to build up the buffer really helped. Starting out I didn't know how long it would take me to make a comic. Working on the buffer gave me a good feel for what my update schedule would be. I also didn't know HOW to make comic pages. While working on the buffer I could take the time to experiment with different methods without the threat of constant deadlines looming over me.

I don't have a buffer any more because life has a nasty habit of getting in the way. If I ever get quick enough to build one up again I absolutely will.
9 days ago, 8:29 PM #10
Leafa

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
Right now I'm building up a buffer for a comic I am going to begin releasing in January. It's TORTURE. I want to show stuff off already!!!

The thing that makes it do-able is having a couple of friends who I send pages immediately after finishing them. They give me feedback, accountability and they can spot any mistakes.

I know it will all be worthwhile when I have a sizeable buffer and the freedom to tweak things as I go along to make sure the beginning of the comic is the best it can be.
9 days ago, 8:43 PM #11
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
I don't have the patience lol xD. I calculated how quickly a sizable buffer (200 pages) would last if I stopped working on it and released say 20 pages a week (normal webtoon size) and it's really not worth the work or wait, imo it's better to just output a good amount of pages consistently and on time, but to each his own.
9 days ago, 9:26 PM #12
30_Bouncyballs

I'm probably going to start putting them up on a schedule after I get the first 10 done. Then I'll work on the next 10 while those pan out. Unless something comes up or I want to go on a short hiatus to work on my other story.

This is just a thing for fun right now, really. I'm not planning to turn it into anything more than a way to wind down at the end of the day.
9 days ago, 10:10 PM #13
DrewSpence

Registration date: 25th Apr 2017
I've got the opposite problem.
First, I don't don't really do a 'webcomic' in terms of something that gets a page a day uploaded.
I do a comic, that's on the web and I release one book at a time.

Trouble is, I finish about ONE BOOK a week and ...
- share here, about once every two weeks and meanwhile...
- the official commercial release schedule is monthly...

I'm already DEEP into next year, as far as having books done...
Something had to blink first and I picked the big commercial schedule.
At the end of this year, they will temporary be Bi-Weekly to shed some of this huge buffer.

But I have NEVER had this kind of patience before to have full works done and be forced to sit on them.
Usually I can wait, but this is just a general decision to hold back material...
8 days ago, 7:22 PM #14
shaneoid

Registration date: 19th May 2016
I keep on working on the next project, and the buffer becomes less important.
6 days ago, 8:34 AM #15
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
I don't have buffer pages. I just post right after I'm done with the pages each month.

My Webcomic:
6 days ago, 3:36 PM #16
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
Will power? Yeah, that's it. Will power.

Because I know I could never work without a buffer.
6 days ago, 4:28 PM #17
Mr. Awesome

Registration date: 27th Jan 2015
I believe that I'll be able to give a unique perspective since the comic I'm working on, we're building a buffer for.

So, the first way in sticking to a buffer is realizing what the buffer is for: A way to get good-as-possible pages in a timely manner.

A good way to stick to a buffer, to me at least, is to refuse to upload a page until you're finished telling a particular story, whether that be an issue, a chapter, etc. Though, this only really works for story-driven comics.
6 days ago, 5:45 PM #18
30_Bouncyballs

Mr. Awesome:I believe that I'll be able to give a unique perspective since the comic I'm working on, we're building a buffer for.

So, the first way in sticking to a buffer is realizing what the buffer is for: A way to get good-as-possible pages in a timely manner.

A good way to stick to a buffer, to me at least, is to refuse to upload a page until you're finished telling a particular story, whether that be an issue, a chapter, etc. Though, this only really works for story-driven comics.

I'm following that too, to an extent.
4 days ago, 9:03 AM #19
rd_inks

Registration date: 9th Jun 2017
I have a writing buffer but not an art buffer since every page can take a while. But having nearly a year's worth of chapters planned out makes things a LOT easier so I can just focus on the art side.

And sometimes I realise I have to re-storyboard something/change up some dialogue so I don't get going until that's all done. I've already experienced what happens when you have to change something once it's published. But the likelihood of that happening is a lot lower if everything's pre-planned

Instagram, Tumblr blog, Twitter, and Facebook
4 days ago, 9:26 PM #20
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
rd_inks:I have a writing buffer.

Ha. Oh yes. I'm still illustrating year 1 episode 1, but I'm writing year 7 episode 7. Writing is so (relatively) EASY...
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Patience to wait before posting a new webcomic?
Pages: [1] [2]