Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Give me some feedback on the font I made!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Give me some feedback on the font I made!
Pages: [1]

"Give me some feedback on the font I made!", 8 days ago, 12:21 AM #1
Taily
Environment Knight
Registration date: 9th Mar 2010
Hello everyone!
I've been using the same homemade font in my comic for quite a few years now, but I've recently started to get a little insecure over whether it bolds as well as I'd like it to.

Here's a sample speech bubble I made. Is it immediately clear which words are bolded?

8 days ago, 12:55 AM #2
ProfEtheric
Dry Soil
Registration date: 17th Aug 2014
Taily:Hello everyone!
I've been using the same homemade font in my comic for quite a few years now, but I've recently started to get a little insecure over whether it bolds as well as I'd like it to.

Here's a sample speech bubble I made. Is it immediately clear which words are bolded?

If the words are dolor, eiusmod, and magna, then yes.

And it is a very good font for comicking. :)
8 days ago, 1:51 AM #3
Lee M

Registration date: 19th Aug 2013
Most comic fonts do use much thicker lettering in bold mode than regular, so I think it would be a good idea to work on that. An example of "them as can't criticises", because I have no idea how it's done in the first place. I do think it's impressive that you've made your own font at all, so well done.

Nightshade the Merry Widow (NSFW, nudity/sex) | Nightshade reruns on Tumblr
Created by Ed Kline and Kishma Danielle, co-writer Lee M, assistance Bob Partridge
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity): Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M
8 days ago, 2:23 AM #4
Taily
Environment Knight
ProfEtheric:If the words are dolor, eiusmod, and magna, then yes.

And it is a very good font for comicking. :)

Thank you!! Yep, those are the correct words.

Lee M:Most comic fonts do use much thicker lettering in bold mode than regular, so I think it would be a good idea to work on that. An example of "them as can't criticises", because I have no idea how it's done in the first place. I do think it's impressive that you've made your own font at all, so well done.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to make it look bolder than that. What I can do is both bold and italicize the words, which looks like this:

Certainly noticeable, but also a little... aggressive?

By the way, if anyone wants to try to make their own font, the program I used was called MyScriptFont - apparently it is now a paid service called Calligraphr and looks very different, so I can't vouch for how good it is these days!
8 days ago, 2:40 AM #5
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
I can tell which words are bolded, but at the same time I was looking for that. If I could give a slight critique, it could definitely stand to be a little less subtle.
Latest Update:  August 21st, 2017.
8 days ago, 3:23 AM #6
Taily
Environment Knight
Thanks for the feedback, Bry - what do you think about the bold+italics combo I posted above?
8 days ago, 3:47 AM #7
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Again, it just feels too subtle. I put both of them in two different tabs and just looked at them one after the other over and over and it's really hard to tell a different between the two.
8 days ago, 4:07 AM #8
Taily
Environment Knight
Aw man! That's as bold and italicized as the software allows me to get, so maybe I'll just underline stuff when I want to really emphasize it. That's what I've been doing lately anyways.
8 days ago, 4:15 PM #9
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
That's a shame, but would it be possible for you to edit each letter by hand (so to speak) in some editing software?

Definitely would be a bit more time consuming but hey, you already made your own (pretty great) font, can't be too much harder than that, right?
8 days ago, 4:16 PM #10
monkeyking
did not write shakespeare, but dope webcomics
Registration date: 18th Nov 2016
Taily:Hello everyone!

it looks good to me and i have processing issues so you should be fine
8 days ago, 4:52 PM #11
Damatris

Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
Bolded words are easy to spot. And I like the general feeling of the font. Fits well with a light hearted comic!

But I think kerning(?), the space between letters, could be a bit bigger. I think having the letters touch each other makes it unnecessarily harder to read than if they didn't.
8 days ago, 7:59 PM #12
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I like it. It is easy to read and the style is endearing. It would be perfect for a comic aimed for kids or one that is lighthearted in general.

One week ago, 12:43 AM #13
Taily
Environment Knight
Thanks for the feedback, everyone!

Damatris:Bolded words are easy to spot. And I like the general feeling of the font. Fits well with a light hearted comic!

But I think kerning(?), the space between letters, could be a bit bigger. I think having the letters touch each other makes it unnecessarily harder to read than if they didn't.

Totally agree about the kerning, and fortunately that's something I can easily fix!

Bryfang:That's a shame, but would it be possible for you to edit each letter by hand (so to speak) in some editing software?

Definitely would be a bit more time consuming but hey, you already made your own (pretty great) font, can't be too much harder than that, right?

I wish I had a bit more control over the inner workings of this font than I do, but basically, with the software and knowledge I have, I can't edit it like that. I can literally draw over bolded words by hand after I type them to make them look thicker, but considering how many words I bold per page, that's way too much effort for not very much payoff! Luckily it seems like most people are fine with the current level of bolding, so I'm just gonna stop worrying about it.