Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Bad pages, good pages and those "I can't draw" days...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Bad pages, good pages and those "I can't draw" days...
Pages: [1]

"Bad pages, good pages and those "I can't draw" days...", One week ago, 10:22 AM #1
Eve Z.

Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
Some days I can draw graciously well and fast and can plan the panels well enough to produce a nice-looking page. And some days I can't see to be able to draw anything right and the result is a poorly-done page with no consistency whatsoever, which is much worse than some of the pages I drew a couple of chapters ago. Yup.
I'm gettin one of those days every now and then - including today - when I just draw a panel, erase it, then draw it again, then erase again, because I just can't seem to get it right.( really? 2 hours and a half to sketch a panel???) And it sucks, because I really want to draw and I really feel like drawing, but my brain just says 'NO U".

Guess I'll just go play a game instead... Or take a walk.
One week ago, 12:21 PM #2
halibabica
got a booty
Registration date: 18th Jan 2014
I've had those moments, as I'm sure we all have. When I get stuck on loop with a panel I don't like, I usually need to step back and try to envision it in my mind. The clearer I can see the panel in my head, the easier it translates to the page.

I may be slightly lucky in regard to this type of issue. While I definitely have days where I try to draw and my body just screams "NOOOOOOO", the level of quality after I'm done editing is typically about the same. So, I don't like drawing under duress, but even my worst pages tend to come out as passable when I'm fully through with them.

This goes beside the fact that my art is not especially remarkable. ._.
One week ago, 12:49 PM #3
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Draw, redraw, not happy, redraw, redraw panels....usually get dumped, or left in my "partworked" file to remind me, months later, what a failure I can be ! B-) ...then I do something different.
I'm sure very few of us are consistent and methodical - I'm one of the worst, for being all over the place ! Sometimes- like this past 4-5 days, I can run up panels and complete pages. willy-nilly, _and_ like the look of them.
Other times, I'm stuck on a page,an individual panel, the storyline, or I'm just totally out of script/art ideas, or just lacking motivation. Last weekend I was sick too.
Good job I keep a good buffer, on my main one.
Sometimes odd little things will get me going again, after a 'dry' week or so - like a fortnight ago, watching "Portrait Artist of the Year" on the ARTS channel, which suddenly kicked me into gear !

B-)
One week ago, 1:53 PM #4
PlatinumPencilz

Registration date: 5th Nov 2013
I feel, as someone who's way too much of a perfectionist (thanks OCD) sometimes it takes me a lot longer to get something done than it should, and even then I end up not liking the page half the time. I just gotta remind myself to have fun with it or it ends up being torture.
One week ago, 2:20 PM #5
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
As someone who draws on Bristol board, I can tell you I've burned through some paper. I've drawn and inked a panel six times over. Sometimes what I want is so clear and it translate to the page so easily that I think I've transcended to some new level of skill. Other times, I have to give up on getting a strip done on time, and I question weather I'm cut out for this webcomic business at all.

Currently, I did a nice exposition shot, and everything was going smoothly, until I got to the second panel and realized I needed the characters on opposite sides!

Also, I find when I have a scene that is really good or important, or I'm really excited about, I get a lot more critical of what I'm drawing.
One week ago, 3:35 PM #6
oven

Registration date: 1st Feb 2016
The brain needs oxygen and fuel to do its best cognitive work, so a quick jog to get the blood up and a nice rich meal with plenty of fats and carbs should help on those frustrating days. Sometimes alcohol or caffeine is a good shortcut, but only for short-term gains. The important part is just the delivery of what the brain needs to function.
One week ago, 4:22 PM #7
Mr. Awesome

Registration date: 27th Jan 2015
"I can't draw" days are just about every day for me.
I do try to become at least passable though
One week ago, 7:21 PM #8
The Doodler

Registration date: 9th Sep 2010
Tell me about it.
One thing that helps yank me out of the cycle of draw/erase/redraw/etc. is taking reference photos. Or in one case, dragging my chair into the bathroom so that I could use the mirror to get a decent sketch of someone leaning on a chair. :P
One week ago, 10:15 PM #9
ServerPanda

Registration date: 18th Jul 2015
I'm going to get lynched for this...

I don't have days where I can't draw at my usual level. I think it happened when I was working in a professional setting as a graphic designer. There were deadlines and bad days weren't really something that was allowed when it came to quality. It just sort of... transferred over to my art too. I work on it the same way and approach it with the exact same mindset: it gets done.
One week ago, 11:23 PM #10
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
@ServerPanda

What's that I want to actually learn to do myself...