Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - quick question about statistics

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > ComicFury Problems, critique and suggestions > quick question about statistics
Pages: [1]

"quick question about statistics", 2nd Nov 2017, 10:28 AM #1
fedoramoron
black market meme hookup
Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
i'm wondering if there's ever been a case of, like... idk, bots giving people extra hits or something?? asfnjkafa idk but my comic seems to have a strangely high number of visitors each day (30-40) and it's just unfathomable to me since it's not very popular or anything. maybe webcomics in general are just more popular than I thought and this is a dumb question. AnywAY, can i trust the numbers on the webcomic statistics page?
thanks!
2nd Nov 2017, 11:06 AM #2
tim-in-a-box

Registration date: 28th Apr 2016
I dun nu my stast keep saying I have views on my comics and I don't get where I could possible get them from x_X the peoplpe I ask to read my comics don't read them so what's up with the views?
2nd Nov 2017, 1:26 PM #3
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
In my experience, bot traffic builds up over time, though it can go away pretty dramatically too.

Add google analytics code to your site if this is something that concerns you.
2nd Nov 2017, 4:32 PM #4
khkddn
you're a good khkddn
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
I don't think it's the same for every comic but I don't trust the stats for mine. It consistently reports more visitors than google analytics does. Most of the time it's just ghost spam for .xyz websites but sometimes it's really weird stuff.
2nd Nov 2017, 5:01 PM #5
Sikyanakotik
really tolerated
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Uuugh. I have few enough readers as it is without worrying about whether half of them are bots. So thanks for making my anxiety worse.
2nd Nov 2017, 5:16 PM #6
khkddn
you're a good khkddn
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
Dude just get google analytics then, or some other type of analytics if you don't trust google (I don't know any specific alternatives, but they gotta exist). It's pretty easy to set it up, you just paste some code in the head of your website and wait for data to be collected. In addition to filtering out spam you'd be able to know where your visitors are coming from.
2nd Nov 2017, 8:38 PM #7
Kyo
family life
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
yeah like if you want in-depth stats, you really want to install some sort of analytics thingo on your website. CF stats really only serve to give you a rough idea, since they do count all traffic including bots. It could be mostly genuine or mostly bots. But usually you wouldn't get 40 different bots on a webcomic, that seems pretty unlikely. Unless it's one bot that keeps changing IPs for some reason, but (not really having looked for this in-depth, admittedly) that doesn't seem to really happen from what I can tell.

So my guess would be that it's mostly real, but if you wanna know for sure, you want analytics.
4th Nov 2017, 5:07 PM #8
Miaubol
Cat Queen
Registration date: 7th Sep 2014
There, curiosity killed the cat and I installed Google Analytics. Yes, it's as many people have said already, visitor counts shown on Analytics are way smaller than those on the ComicFury stats. But-

While the ComicFury stats may overestimate the visitor numbers (by counting bots), it's quite possible that Analytics may underestimate them, as many readers may block Analytics with for instance NoScript ..?
4th Nov 2017, 9:15 PM #9
Kyo
family life
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
yes, that's true, though I don't know how many people actually do that. I know I personally block analytics, but I don't think too many people really do. It also won't track anyone without javascript enabled (not just via noscript, but maybe that was redundant to say), I believe.
5th Nov 2017, 5:25 PM #10
Pip
코카콜라
Registration date: 27th Dec 2015
I kind of want to try this, but I also kind of don't. I think there are some things I'd rather not know.
5th Nov 2017, 5:30 PM #11
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Pipp:I kind of want to try this, but I also kind of don't. I think there are some things I'd rather not know.

Priorities.

Between working on improving my landscapes/facial features or conducting analysis of my bounce rate, I know which one needs to come first.

Like, for me that's not even a real question.
5th Nov 2017, 9:52 PM #12
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
This was something I didn't really think about. I mean, I know that bots float out there but damn, I'd hate to think the majority of my views were that.

Got away with it.
6th Nov 2017, 12:58 AM #13
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Looks like if you trust Google Analytics, about 15 percent of my views are bots, damn xD
6th Nov 2017, 8:05 PM #14
Miaubol
Cat Queen
Registration date: 7th Sep 2014
Sovember:about 15 percent of my views are bots, damn xD

.. and about 15-25% of my views are *not* bots D:

Kyo:yes, that's true, though I don't know how many people actually do that. I know I personally block analytics, but I don't think too many people really do. It also won't track anyone without javascript enabled (not just via noscript, but maybe that was redundant to say), I believe.

Yes, it can be blocked in a whole lot of ways.. Found some interesting read about it --> here

It remains hard or impossible to estimate how many visitors they actually miss out (can be anything from just some to a whole lot), but still a good thing to be aware about this.
6th Nov 2017, 9:08 PM #15
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
I think you're right! Especially with people being more conscious of being anonymous as well as just newer browsers and OS automatically giving these off the radar options, I think Analytics could be off !