Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Let's complain about work

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Let's complain about work
Pages: [1]

"Let's complain about work", 9 days ago, 9:00 PM #1
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
Cause goodness knows I need a right good moan every now and again. Ya with me?

I hate my job. I work in a chocolate factory. Sounds good, right? Everyone I tell about it say how they'd love to work there, and would eat so much chocolate. Hahaha. No.

It's a small company with not many other people working there at all. Most of the job is tedius little mind numbing jobs. Folding boxes for hours on end. Putting tiny chocolates in tiny bags for hours on end. Invoices. And it's stuff you have to pay juuust enough attention to to mean you can't daydream. Lunch isn't even long enough to make and drink a cup of tea. It's driving me nuts. And all the time I'm just doing this pointless stuff and thinking of how much I could be getting done at home ;w;

I think the worst part of this job is being unable to even start looking for another one until at least March next year, most likely a lot longer. (personal reasons) So it essentially feels like I'm trapped in a monotonous existance. Every day is the exact flipping same. I dread the end of each weekend. It's like... no one bad event has happened. But it's wearing me down so, so much ;w;

I don't even like chocolate much. Blasphemy, I know.

Anyway, if you guys would like to talk about how much your jobs suck (if they do) then this is the thread to do it. Maybe it'll help. At least we'll know we're not the only ones!
9 days ago, 9:17 PM #2
Jay042
Old school
Registration date: 7th Nov 2009
I'm working at a big mall retailer, and I just got the schedule for Thanksgiving/Black Friday: 10:00pm to 10:00am. So I will be working two hours on Turkey day (which means time and a half) and the rest regular time. Plus the tight ass store manager made sure rest of the schedule was below 40 hours. Can't have any overtime even around the biggest shopping day of the year.

Just about everything else about this job sucks too, we haven't been able to get ahead of the massive pile up of pallets in the backroom due to being understaffed and most of the crew being pulled off to do other tasks all the time.

Though in the end, there's not much point to all of it seeing how this is JC Penney I'm working at, and the probabilities of the company folding within a few years are pretty high.
9 days ago, 9:36 PM #3
junoro
So much to do in one lifetime
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
Maaaan, I was just thinking about how a thread like this should exist. Because GOLLY, the holiday season drags as much as it blitzes past. Most retailers in Canada have this handy little thing with credit and debit cards called 'tap', where you can choose to just tap your card against the card reader and the payment goes through quickly, without you having to input your pin number. My store...does not have this. But like every customer tries to do it, or tries to use "Apple Pay"? And then once they're informed of the lack of tap functionality, the customer THEN has to navigate using the chip reader, and at my store, they are OLD and FINICKY, and there's one machine in particular that is sooo loose that the card just falls out and halts the transaction before it completes. So I'll be standing there with a pained grin on my face as I try to explain that it's not their card's fault, and tell them to just try again, and soooorrrryyyyyy. The card reader is also sort of telescopic and you've got to be careful you don't hit the touchscreen too hard or the reader will flip back and you'll probably jar your card, and have to restart the payment allll over again.

I think my biggest grief with work is faulty technology that makes what should be a simple job into a nightmare. We're supposed to get new machines and stuff "next year", but.... WHEN IS NEXT YEAR? December 31st, 2018??
9 days ago, 10:34 PM #4
BUMBLEBEE

Registration date: 18th Sep 2016
JammyTheBirb:Cause goodness knows I need a right good moan every now and again.

I hate my job. I work in a chocolate factory. Sounds good, right? Everyone I tell about it say how they'd love to work there, and would eat so much chocolate. Hahaha. No.

It's a small company with not many other people working there at all. Most of the job is tedius little mind numbing jobs. Folding boxes for hours on end. Putting tiny chocolates in tiny bags for hours on end. Invoices. And it's stuff you have to pay juuust enough attention to to mean you can't daydream. Lunch isn't even long enough to make and drink a cup of tea. It's driving me nuts. And all the time I'm just doing this pointless stuff and thinking of how much I could be getting done at home ;w;

I think the worst part of this job is being unable to even start looking for another one until at least March next year, most likely a lot longer. (personal reasons) So it essentially feels like I'm trapped in a monotonous existance. Every day is the exact flipping same. I dread the end of each weekend. It's like... no one bad event has happened. But it's wearing me down so, so much ;w;

I don't even like chocolate much. Blasphemy, I know.

Anyway, if you guys would like to talk about how much your jobs suck (if they do) then this is the thread to do it. Maybe it'll help. At least we'll know we're not the only ones!

Is there a position u could move up to, like making chocolate? Because that seems like it would be cool...
9 days ago, 10:40 PM #5
Workshop 57

Registration date: 16th Sep 2016
I work in a pancake factory. I feel your pain, Jammy. It's monotonous variations on the same motion, stack the pancakes, put the stacks in plastic boxes, put those in cardboard boxes. Oh dear the machines have broken again, stand around doing nothing for an hour. And it's zero-hours so I never know when I have work.

I also work in a clothes shop and my boss is a dick.
9 days ago, 10:44 PM #6
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
@BUMBLEBEE

Well, I've tried doing that before and it's not as exciting as it sounds. It's also really messy. I wasn't too good at it, so there are other people who do that. ^_^'
9 days ago, 11:30 PM #7
BUMBLEBEE

Registration date: 18th Sep 2016
I've never actually tried to make chocolate, just always thought of it a one of those artisanal zen kind of things. Probably reading too many candy wrappers! I can say this about bad jobs, I've had a few where I felt the way you describe - especially the dreading of Monday. In fact, high school was like that for me, and though its not a job as such, it has a lot of conditions in common with what you described. Particularly the tedium and pointlessness of it.

One day I found a job where on the very first day, I felt at ease, even though I was in that awkward phase of not knowing how to do a damn thing. It was like love at first sight, and I've been doing that job now for almost twenty years. Not sure if it was just the perfect gig, or if feeling good about the work made me better at it, but I rarely dreaded going back.

Those jobs are out there - just keep your powder dry, etc and you'll line up with the right job by and by. Everything till then is just grist for the creative mill.
8 days ago, 12:28 AM #8
JC Webcomics

Registration date: 7th Mar 2016
I recently got out of a pretty toxic work situation, so I'm really sorry to everyone who has a crappy situation right now - I feel your pain. I really hope things get better, or you're able to find something better. Sometimes it does help to have a good rant.

I was considering making a post about the crappy time I had with my old place, since I've been wanting to vent for a while, so I hope it's acceptable to complain about past workplaces in this thread. Spoilered for length, feel free to skip if you don't want to read an essay:

TL;DR - My last workplace was a toxic wasteland and I am so happy to be out of it.
8 days ago, 12:58 AM #9
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
I used to work at a place that wasn't toxic per say but after reading JC's post, it reminded me of the type of bad management that really makes me grind my teeth.

It was a retail store and one morning we got new rules handed down that there be no palettes on the shop floor (offloading stock) after 10am. So I'm offloading, it's getting close to 10 so I start dragging the palette away. Manager A sees me and says to just empty it first.

"Are you sure" says I.

"Yeah"

"Cool" I reply.

So I'm there continuing to empty the palette when Manager B comes along and starts to give me shit that the palette isn't off the floor. I tell him what manager A said and he says just take it away. So I'm doing that when Mamager A comes by again. You can see where this is going can't you?

"What are you doing?" He says.

I explain.

"Just empty it first" he says.

Well, needless to say, I gave both of them a piece of my mind, so much so that they basically avoided me for the all of 2 months I worked there (no surprise there that they'd let me go). But I got best customer service before I left so they can suck my dick. Morons.

As for working in a monotonous environment, I feel you Jammy. Used to do factory work that involved a lot of repetition and the slowest clock in the world. I at least hope the money is half way decent.

Got away with it.
8 days ago, 8:37 PM #10
Jean_Q_Citizen

Registration date: 21st Oct 2015
Ohhh, man. I work in a bakery at a retail store. It sucks. Not as much as the warehouse/unloading stuff I was doing before sucked, mind you, but still.

I spend a good portion of my day in a freezer. Okay in the summertime months, not so great this time of year. It's 90% frozen junk that comes in already packaged. You just stick sell-by labels on it, and away you go. The other 10% is crap that comes in frozen, like bread and donuts and such, that they just stick in the oven for ten minutes or so.

So, pretty repetitive stuff, and doesn't pay worth a damn. Still, with my back problems, it's about the best I can get. Sadly, if I could just do algebra, I'd probably have at least a Bachelor's by now, seeing as how I got A's in about everything else.
One week ago, 5:06 AM #11
Mild

Registration date: 3rd Aug 2016
I work in a small animation studio, I'm a 3D artist there. I do mostly shading and also sculpting and texturing occasionally. The salary is small, but I like my job and collegues. The problem is that my studio is having a bad time now. There are now more people there than there is work for them. Boss tries to find more clients but he haven't been lucky so far. Yesterday I spent a day doing nothing: there was no work to do. No work means no money. It's going to get worse, I'm afraid.
There are no more creative jobs in my city. I guess I'll end up in retail again :(
One week ago, 2:37 PM #12
kyrtuck

Registration date: 19th Sep 2016
I've worked at a clothing factory for 7 years now, first two I was a sewer and it was real stressful, but afterwards, I got a nicer easier job. I cut out templates in paper or fabric, type in records, and occasionally get some fabric or piece form the adjoining warehouse.

However, I don't get to interact with a lot of people, the people in the office area are pretty nice, but on the floor most of the workers are immigrants and disableds. The work is tedious and unsatisfying, though not as bad as when you're a sewer. And its minimum wage, so I can't live off of it or do anything. I'm not qualified to do anything higher paying and can't see any way to get the necessary experience.
One week ago, 7:05 PM #13
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Work, amirite? So lame, all that dumb work.

#WorkSucks
5 days ago, 12:33 PM #14
Workshop 57

Registration date: 16th Sep 2016
Had my shift (at the shop) cancelled last-minute today. On the bright side it means I can stay at home, do some drawing and get on with other stuff I need to do, and I don't have to work with my boss who I don't like much. But on the other hand, it means I'm not getting bloody paid.
Hopefully I find something better soon.
5 days ago, 5:26 PM #15
Mr. Awesome

Registration date: 27th Jan 2015
So, I work at Dunkin Donuts right?
While I'm glad I got the job, it aggravates me(and the other people in my shift) often that the previous shift leaves so much crap for us to clean up. In particular, the accumulating garbage is the worst. The other day our main can was overflowing with garbage, meaning I had to do the tedious task of getting all the trash out there without it falling out(with the can making minimal contact to my person because I'm a bit of a germaphobe), throw the trash into the open dumpster(easier said than done most days), and push the can back inside.

It's a tiring experience that results in my mood taking a hit, especially when it gets that bad.
4 days ago, 10:13 PM #16
Eve Z.

Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
I don't have very much to complain about my work. I do mostly what I like and I earn quite a lot from it.
Except that I got too much work lately and had no time to work on my comic anymore. :/ Almost ran out of buffer.
I'm kind of stressed because of it. I want to have enough me-time to go out more and take walks. Last winter I gained a lot of weight, thanks to the lack of exercise since I'm required to sit at my computer.

My work days take almost an entire day and I don't have a schedule after which I can run free to do whatever I please. I get to enjoy some free time in the evening, though, but mostly when I'm very tired.
4 days ago, 11:19 PM #17
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
I worked at a Dunkin Donuts/Baskin Robbins in 2015 and my manager was incredibly creepy. He kept asking me if I was 16 (I was 18) when I was applying, to the extent that it seemed almost like he wanted me to be. He also asked if my coworker's high schooler friends were single when they came in to visit her. He had a wife, a girlfriend (open relationship? idk), and like five kids too.