Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - I love video games, but consoles...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > I love video games, but consoles...
Pages: [1] [2]

"I love video games, but consoles...", 10 days ago, 1:42 PM #1
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Like I said on another forum somewhere else on the net...

I have a confession to make: I no longer love consoles. I adore video games and such, but consoles are something I can no longer get into. I mean, every few months, a new one is always being made? When my family has our NES and SNES, those consoles lasted for years and people concentrated on making great games. Now, consoles have become like iPhones; they're status symbols. And because they are coming out so fast, they're coming out too early and aren't that great. I mean, think the Wii-U. And now, I hear that the Nintendo Switch is not that great which makes me sad really because I love Nintendo. And makes me sadder is that new games lack in quality too because of it. There are times when I think consoles just had their time and we should just play our video games on our tablets, computers and phones. We can attach them to our TVs anyway or have video game apps not consoles.

Does anyone else feel this way?

PS: I am not knocking video games. I still love them and always will. I just think that maybe we ought to concentrate on games and not on consoles. I mean, what does it matter where you're playing the game in so long as you enjoy playing the game itself?
10 days ago, 3:56 PM #2
khkddn
you're a good khkddn
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
There are too many 3DSes. The only reason I got a New 3DS XL (someone please teach Nintendo how to name their products) is because the regular 3ds has a screen for ants.

Same problem with the DS. I got the shitty original one that fell apart, and then the DS lite came out.
10 days ago, 4:11 PM #3
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
khkddn:
There are too many 3DSes. The only reason I got a new 3ds xl is because the regular 3da has a screen for ants.

Same problem with the DS. I got the shitty original one that fell apart, and then the DS lite came out.

I think I have the 3D XL, the screen broke, so I bought a new screen and replaced it.
By the time I convinced my parents to get me an xbox 360, the xbox one came out, although they were happy to by my brother the limited edition of the xbox one, and it took me years just to get a normal 360 totally not salty about that
There are a lot of new games I wanna play but I can't because as soon as I get my hands on one console anew one comes out.

10 days ago, 4:50 PM #4
MK_Wizard

That's exactly what I am saying, Timelapse. You have to empty your bank account just to get one game. ONE GAME. It's ridiculous. I think it would be to the gaming industry's benefit to just cease and desist making consoles. The computer, tablets, phones and such are good enough.
10 days ago, 5:04 PM #5
Timelapse11

MK_Wizard:
That's exactly what I am saying, Timelapse. You have to empty your bank account just to get one game. ONE GAME. It's ridiculous. I think it would be to the gaming industry's benefit to just cease and desist making consoles. The computer, tablets, phones and such are good enough.

The prices of the consoles are getting higher and so are the actual games. I saw a 3ds game I wanted but ended up not getting it because it was over £40, for a game, I had the demo for it and it was pretty fun, but it's not worth £40, the older games the max price was £30, it's ridiculous, it's no wonder things like r4 cards sell really well when prices are so high! and don't even start on the whole lootbox thing.

10 days ago, 5:16 PM #6
kyrtuck

Registration date: 19th Sep 2016
I guess its the same with some computer games too, like Diablo 3's minimum software requirements quadrupling.

I've just been stuck playing old games ever since the Gameboy Advanced got replaced :P
10 days ago, 5:32 PM #7
junoro
So much to do in one lifetime
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
About 10 years ago I could get ds and gameboy games for like $20-$30. Now, 3ds games can cost $50, which is what console games used to go for! It's kind of wild how inflation hit games so hard, at least in Canada. Switch games are $80, after Wii U games already broke my bank at $70... So I WANT a Switch and I WANT all these cool console games, but I literally can't afford them anymore. Weird how being a kid and having a newspaper route let me afford more games and systems than becoming an adult. :')
10 days ago, 5:58 PM #8
MK_Wizard

I KNOW RIGHT?!
10 days ago, 6:10 PM #9
Zanreo
Literal Lazer Lady
Registration date: 5th May 2014
Personally, I feel the other way around - I love consoles and they're my main gaming platform (both home consoles and handhelds). Not a fan of PC gaming (I just don't really like playing on a computer compared to on a console), and while some mobile games are ok they just can't compare to handheld consoles (more on this later) "Every few months"... is a pretty big exaggeration, even with "half-upgrades" (PS4 Pro, Xbox One X) and new models. Personally I see the half-upgrades as unneccessary but they aren't needed to play the newest games for the console, you can still play them on the older model... so if you just want to play the games and don't absolutely need the increased specs the older and cheaper version of the console will last you for years. (Though I can see how it feels more practical, not to mention cheaper, not having to buy a new console instead of just playing games on what you already have.)

As for handhelds... I love handheld gaming, being able to bring my games with me or play them anywhere in the house instead of having to sit down in front of a TV... and mobile/tablet games just aren't the same as handheld consoles like 3DS/Vita. The main reason is the small, simple, but important difference of buttons - I don't see phones getting buttons back any time soon, and some types of gameplay and games just won't play well or even be possible with only a touchscreen. They need a varied, large amount of buttons - actual buttons on the console itself, onscreen "virtual buttons" can get annoying and clunky and even get in the way of what's happening on screen. So I'm really happy to see Switch making handheld console gaming more of a "thing" again :3

(Also not sure what you mean about Switch "not being that great", it's doing really welk and people seem to love it... unless this is a specs thing, in which case... I honestly think the spec rush is a bad thing for the industry, so in a way I'm HAPPY to see something focusing less on specs)

Though if there's one thing that annoy me about console prices it's how controllers tend to cost as much as or more than a new game (slightly cheaper for third-party controllers)... but I don't play many local multiplayer games anyway
10 days ago, 6:19 PM #10
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
I think we've passed the height of console release syndrome. The industry is shifting to in game sales, which rely on not making the games obsolete quite so fast. You'll notice the new xbox is still xbox one, just a better version. not that I think all the lootboxes are a good thing. I don't buy them.

the 90's were ridiculous. anyone that bought Sega CD or the 32x knows what I'm talking about.

Nintendo is still on the old business model. They scored with the Wii and they think they're onto something with making weird user interfaces.

I'm curious how far we'll go with cross platform gaming like the new Minecraft.
10 days ago, 8:25 PM #11
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Especially now with professional gaming competitions, there's like this arms race to get faster graphics and responsiveness, so don't count on any kind of stable plateau in the game industry landscape, unless you stay in the past.

One nice thing is that game engines and game distribution channels have become fairly stable and cheap. Like Unreal and Unity are practically free, so any indie game designer can create the kind of games they believe in and want to see.
10 days ago, 8:42 PM #12
The Letter M

Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
No idea how children get hold of games or consoles. They are way too expensive. Unless parents are into them and don't mind buying them and letting the kids play I don't picture parents just buyong their kids modern consoles and a stack of games.

I had to do some jive talking to get my patents onboard with the ps2, saying that we could watch DVDs on it and stuff. I still waited till it was on the way down in price too. What did the fourth one launch at? 400 bucks?

10 days ago, 9:34 PM #13
Text
Honey coated man's best acquaintance
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
I finally got the Switch recently, and to be honest, I rather like it. It's functional, and I find its portable nature to not be all that much of a gimmick, given all the use I seem to be getting out of it, and the motion controls finally work and aren't constantly, relentlessly shoved at you with games essentially forced to use them. The battery lasts plenty long, too, though I'd advise getting a travel-sized charging dock if you do a good deal of traveling.

I am a little biased, I admit, towards Nintendo, and that's for one primary reason: consoles are supposed to be consoles. They're not smartphones, or tablets, or PCs. A console should have something to offer that your computer doesn't, and I often feel Nintendo makes the biggest efforts to run under that rule, even for their failures (the Wii U) to effectively do so.

This isn't to say there's not problems. There are, as has been mentioned, way too many freaking 3DS versions, and Nintendo deciding to keep the 3DS going instead of really buckling down on the Switch and merging its home and portable libraries seems, to me, to be a bit of a poor move. (Then again, both Pokémon and Ace Attorney are now on their way to the Switch, so maybe it's just taking them a bit. Still seems sort of odd.)

What I have zero interest in is another new update of the XBOX with an increasingly ridiculous amount of "power" that only AAA games will probably ever use, but many of the kinds of games that capitalize on that most of all are generally not my type of game anyway, so take that as you will. It's been a good scene for indie games for awhile, but now you see a lot of those pop up on Steam too, and Nintendo's really been doing all they can to attract independent developers.

The PlayStation on the other hand is sort of odd to me. They do take some efforts to innovate, on occasion, but generally my main draw to them is a small handful of exclusives. (LittleBigPlanet, basically, but as much as I love the franchise it peaked at the second game and I'm not willing to buy an entire console for just one, even if I'm sure I'd love Dreams just as well.)

All around... why are games so expensive? I mean, obviously it's because we keep paying for them, but really, I remember when I was younger, if I saw a $50 game in a store, I thought that was absurd, and now they're, what, 60? Sure, games are bigger, and more goes into their development, but I'd certainly be more into gaming if it wasn't a regime of sadistic torture on my wallet to be into gaming.
10 days ago, 10:47 PM #14
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Once you go gaming PC, you will never be the same. I can't wait to try Witcher 3 with my 2011 clunker and updated parts.
10 days ago, 10:54 PM #15
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
Yeah, console games are sort of becoming a ripoff. On my new PS4 there are 3 games that seem greater than most older games I've played and the rest just feel kind of dull. You can find standalone NES and SNES cartridges for a few pounds each, and get just as much enjoyment out of many of them as I do on some of the newer games I like.

Why was New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the 3DS more expensive than the original on the DS (about £25 vs £40 new at the time of release) yet feels shorter and easier to complete? The Wii version was a difficulty level above the original, but this feels even easier. The same goes with Pilotwings 3D and most of the other games. Apart from improved graphics, why are these games shorter and worse than the DS versions?

I feel Minecraft is a fair price, at around £17, since the user can create practically anything they wish within an infinite space, but it's an exception. The Mojang-Microsoft business model works well.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
9 days ago, 2:01 AM #16
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
khkddn:Same problem with the DS. I got the shitty original one that fell apart, and then the DS lite came out.

I must have lucked out cause mine is still going strong. Battery and everything has a good charge.

I think the main issue is cheap parts, quick turnaround coupled with high disposability (like all modern tech amiright). So the lifetime quality of consoles has dropped significantly which is great for the companies because they want you to buy the Xbox scorpion or whatever the fuck it's called. I had 3 Xboxes red light. The SNES still works though.

I look at the gaming industry now and they've made everything so complicated. The games themselves are shipping unfinished requiring massive downloads and constant updates. Content been locked behind paywalls, fucking spreadsheets needed to determine what your getting and which store to buy it in if you want it. No I don't want to pay an extra 20 quid for a gold plated gun and some other bullshit ya dicks. Consoles where supposed to have the edge over PC in convenience. You didn't have to worry about patches and tech specs and graphic prowess. Just plug it in and play. Now they're not convenient at all. How do you fuck that up?

Got away with it.
9 days ago, 2:17 AM #17
MK_Wizard

Well...

You mess it up by forgetting why you did it and being blinded by how much money it will make. Obviously, it still rakes in a lot of money. We sit here complaining about the system, but we're still buying it and when I say "we", I mean society. If we want it to change, the world's got to change. In other words, we have to stop giving them all our money. We stop buying consoles and stick to downloading games on our phone/tablet apps and for the computer. If they're going to treat consoles like computers, then just get the computer versions. At least you don't have to get a new system every time to play a game. Maybe it won't fix the unfinished products, but at least your money is only going towards the game not these nonsensical new systems.
9 days ago, 2:35 AM #18
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Ah! But you're forgetting the power of HYPE! It plays a huge factor in getting people to mentally check out critically. It's one of the gaming companies most powerful tools. Couple that with advertising and social conformity and you got the recipie for success for their shitty business model. (This is branching into social norms and structures along with manipulation but that's an entirely different subject on its own)

You make valid points but I'm reminded of that saying. We get the world we deserve. In this case, we get the market/products we deserve.

Got away with it.
9 days ago, 3:02 AM #19
MK_Wizard

Yup. It's at times like this where I'm grateful to be a misfit and I never got sucked into 'hype'. It's like my first point said, consoles have become status symbols. The only reasons I got the DS was because it had a bigger screen, didn't need batteries and had colour. I didn't care about it being 'cool'. It looked like fun and I admit, it was, but after that, I didn't care for 3D especially not on a hand held game. Like... on a big screen TV it would be great, but not on a tiny little screen.
9 days ago, 3:05 AM #20
Timelapse11

MK_Wizard:
I didn't care for 3D especially not on a hand held game. Like... on a big screen TV it would be great, but not on a tiny little screen.

I got the 3ds for Pokemon, I can't actually use the 3d anyway, it's completely useless to me

Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > I love video games, but consoles...
Pages: [1] [2]