Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Worse cliffhangers, any media

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Worse cliffhangers, any media
Pages: [1] [2]

"Worse cliffhangers, any media", 12th Jan 2018, 2:49 PM #1
kyrtuck

Registration date: 19th Sep 2016
What the title says: what would you say are the most annoying cliffhangers of any show, game or comic?

Some examples to get us started:

Detentionaire: It had a pretty epic finale that concluded most of the plot points, there were still a few threads open, but then the door in the pyramid, which the heroes were trying to keep closed suddenly opens with the reptile people awake, and a surprise return of a fat black scientist guy who was thought to be dead....and boom, that's it.

Storm Hawks: Again, a pretty epic finale where all the bad guys get defeated except for Cyclonis who runs off into a portal to a mysterious unexplored part of their world. The heroes go into the portal, there's a brief glimpse of the new land looking strange alien and green....and boom, that's it.

Satam: This is a famous one. Sonic and the Freedom fighters finally defeat Robotnik for good, his evil city is destroyed. But then suddenly Snivelly crawls out of the wreckage with a new costume, he says he's about to cause some big trouble for the heroes, there's some figure with red eyes in the shadow...and boom, that's it.

Star Wars empire at War Forces of Corruption: Tyber Zann gets all that he wants, he could potentially become a new emperor, but instead decides to stay in the shadows and just buy some New Republic politicians. But then his underling Sirli is off on her own, she uncovers a big army of frozen Sith troops....and boom, that's it.

Medievil 2: Sir Daniel Fortesque beats the villain and saves the day. He and his mummy girlfriend get into the time machine, they time travel, and are suddenly attacked by a dinosaur who has the face of the villain that was just defeated....and boom, that's it.

Runaways: the heroes have their home get destroyed, its unclear what they'll do next. Chase apparently sees an alive Gert, he tries to pursue her, but then is randomly hit by a car, he's at a hospital....and boom, that's it.
12th Jan 2018, 2:59 PM #2
BluRaven C. Houvener

Registration date: 11th Jun 2014
Walking Dead, the last few moments of the season finalie where Negan first appeared. They totally played the audience with that end scene with the cheesy blood drip effect when there were 20 other ways they could have done it. We've read the comics. We knew who got Luciele'd and they played it out like that. That was the last straw for my household haha, we were already all losing interest with the series for a season or two prior to that. Haven't picked up the show since.
12th Jan 2018, 3:30 PM #3
DrewSpence

Registration date: 25th Apr 2017
My favorites, random, is when they end with a cliffhanger, but then show scenes from the next episode and the dangerous situation has been obviously resolved.
12th Jan 2018, 3:36 PM #4
KarToon12

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2012
kyrtuck:What the title says: what would you say are the most annoying cliffhangers of any show, game or comic?

Some examples to get us started:

Runaways: the heroes have their home get destroyed, its unclear what they'll do next. Chase apparently sees an alive Gert, he tries to pursue her, but then is randomly hit by a car, he's at a hospital....and boom, that's it.

OMG. I remember that ending. Runaways was one of my favorite comic series, but where it suddenly ended was so random and unfair. They could've at least tied up any loose ends and ended the story properly before cancelling the series, but instead, they just forever left us hanging like that. >:(
12th Jan 2018, 5:08 PM #5
kyrtuck

Yes indeed!

Luckily it finally came back late last year.
12th Jan 2018, 6:01 PM #6
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
The worst are when you get this one game changer moment of which changes everything about how the whole story is going to go (like in Spiderman Unlimited), but you just never see it happen because the show suddenly ends.
12th Jan 2018, 6:04 PM #7
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I have a junky urban fantasy series I love (it's.... not good, but that's okay) and the big finale was a two parter. I caught up to book ten, and it left with the big bad powering up and the lead in mortal peril and destroying his own timeline and then... book 11 kept not happening.
It turned out the author had flipped out, cussed out her fans for not buying her other works enough, told them they didn't deserve the series finale, never released, and disappeared off the internet.
12th Jan 2018, 6:04 PM #8
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
Wow, the one that really got me was..
12th Jan 2018, 6:10 PM #9
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
swamp:I have a junky urban fantasy series I love (it's.... not good, but that's okay) and the big finale was a two parter. I caught up to book ten, and it left with the big bad powering up and the lead in mortal peril and destroying his own timeline and then... book 11 kept not happening.
It turned out the author had flipped out, cussed out her fans for not buying her other works enough, told them they didn't deserve the series finale, never released, and disappeared off the internet.

Are you serious? Shame on her then because her reaction was ungrateful. You can't pick what people like and I am thankful that people like my art at all. Sure, it would be a bummer if I was a one hit wonder, but still, I'll take it.
12th Jan 2018, 6:24 PM #10
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
swamp:I have a junky urban fantasy series I love (it's.... not good, but that's okay) and the big finale was a two parter. I caught up to book ten, and it left with the big bad powering up and the lead in mortal peril and destroying his own timeline and then... book 11 kept not happening.

I wonder if she had an ending? maybe she was covering up her severe writer's block.
12th Jan 2018, 6:31 PM #11
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
MK_Wizard:Are you serious? Shame on her then because her reaction was ungrateful. You can't pick what people like and I am thankful that people like my art at all. Sure, it would be a bummer if I was a one hit wonder, but still, I'll take it.

Travis:I wonder if she had an ending? maybe she was covering up her severe writer's block.

Yeah, it was pretty unprofessional and petty. She had a brain injury a year before though, so some fans think that might have given her some mood problems and/or made writing to difficult. It's also likely she got dropped by the publisher and was blaming fans for it. She never really struck me as a super mature person, but she clearly put a lot of love into her stories, and that move kinda tanked her career.
Whatever happened, she was clearly not in a good place and I hope she's in a better one.
12th Jan 2018, 8:04 PM #12
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Has anyone done fanfic endings for those? Would it be bad to do a fanfic ending for a webcomic?

Mad Jack never got finished because the author passed away.

The Revolution was a TV show that got cancelled after the AI took over. I guess it could be viewed as a tragic ending for humanity, a happy ending for AI. But later they wrapped up the story in a comic that I never read (yet). That proves comics can solve everything.
12th Jan 2018, 8:23 PM #13
kyrtuck

Robotwin.com:Has anyone done fanfic endings for those? Would it be bad to do a fanfic ending for a webcomic?

I am in the middle of reading a fan-made Season 3 fanfic for Storm Hawks.
12th Jan 2018, 8:33 PM #14
Fabian W.
it feels so good
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
The last episode of ALF: He is so close to getting picked up by other surviving members of his species - and then the government alien hunters catch him!
(The movie that eventually resolved the cliffhanger was... rather sub-par...)
"My Name is Earl", 12th Jan 2018, 9:42 PM #15
Rasteely

Registration date: 7th Dec 2016
The last episode ended on a cliff hanger! It was an awesome show:)
12th Jan 2018, 9:47 PM #16
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Robotwin.com:Has anyone done fanfic endings for those? Would it be bad to do a fanfic ending for a webcomic?

As long as it's out of copyright or you aren't making money, same rules as any other fanfic.
12th Jan 2018, 11:37 PM #17
deerwithgoggles

Registration date: 25th Aug 2013
for a while, psychonauts' ending killed me more than any other, but that was because i was so fond of it and there wasn't a sequel for SO LONG. but there was an interquel last year that answered the ending's questions, and now there's a sequel coming! so yay!

the ending for those curious
13th Jan 2018, 6:34 AM #18
TanteiSakana
Registration date: 29th Dec 2009
I played Again, knowing only one thing going in: it was the last game that the company, Cing, had made before declaring bankruptcy, and it hadn't gotten the best reviews.

It ended with...

13th Jan 2018, 9:48 AM #19
DrewSpence

Registration date: 25th Apr 2017
Oh wait- What about when the Cliffhanger is 1000% better than the show????

Terminator The Sarah Connor Chronicles had THE WORST writing ever. They had good Terminators and John wasn't bad.
All that show needed was good writers and in the last three episodes- incredible writers came on, the effects got awesome- and then boom -->

One of the biggest cliffhangers of all- for a cancelled show.
Utter disappointment.

They must have blown the rest of the budget on the last few shows.
They gave us everything a fan could ask for.
14th Jan 2018, 2:24 AM #20
Jean_Q_Citizen

Registration date: 21st Oct 2015

Still can't decide if the Doctor's infamous "cliffhanger cliffhanger" from the first episode of "Dragonfire" is the best or worst cliffhanger ever.