Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Am I wrong for wanting something I paid for?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Am I wrong for wanting something I paid for?
Pages: [1]

"Am I wrong for wanting something I paid for?", 13th Jan 2018, 12:36 AM #1
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
So, I bought this character thingy on DA, there was also a lot of other people who also bought them, because there was more than one, and a few weeks go by and I hear nothing from the seller, so I asked them and they told me that they were gonna draw all of them and then upload, so I was like okay, but I'm now suspicious, and this back in August last year, so I've waited a lot of time.
I went back to find out they had left, so I randomly picked one of the other buyers just to find out that they were friends, she told me the seller was 'couldn't balance art with social life' and she also said 'frankly, she doesn't need any more trouble' So I'm thinking 'well fine, but the least she could do is give everyone a refund'.
This 'friend' is acting like I'm in the wrong for trying to find out where the character I paid for is, I know I didn't spend much, but the least she could've done is tell everyone they aren't getting what they paid for and to give them back what they spent.
It's just frustrating.
I know that if I had to leave, and I had incomplete comms or something else that involved payment, I would give them a refund, it's just the right thing to do.
Also sorry for the rant, I really needed to vent this.

13th Jan 2018, 12:44 AM #2
joeyballast
decked out
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
Man that SUCKS.

And there's really no reason not to refund you since, well, there've been no resources or time spent.

Hope they come around and either deliver or refund. Good luck.
13th Jan 2018, 1:31 AM #3
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
May I ask what you paid for? Maybe someone here would be willing to do it for free.
13th Jan 2018, 1:35 AM #4
Timelapse11

Robotwin.com:
May I ask what you paid for? Maybe someone here would be willing to do it for free.

It was a Smokey Quartz gemsona thingy, but in the time since I paid, I got a few other gems so I don't really need another one.
It's probably best if I just left it alone.

13th Jan 2018, 1:46 AM #5
Laz Neptune
in favour of good times
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
Oooh my gosh, that's terrible. They pretty much defrauded you. Why would anybody scam people like that? I mean, it's perfectly reasonable to expect to receive an item you spend hard-earned money on.

Then there's the "friend" who guilt-tripped you out of complaining when the person in question took your money, then dropped off the planet. I mean, come on.

Anyways, I'm really sorry that happened. You're absolutely NOT wrong for wanting something you paid for. That person sounds sleazy, if you ask me.
13th Jan 2018, 1:49 AM #6
Timelapse11

Laz Neptune:
Then there's the "friend" who guilt-tripped you out of complaining when the person in question took your money, then dropped off the planet. I mean, come on.

I did leave a rather passive aggressive comment on the sellers page, they haven't deactivated their account, just quit art.

13th Jan 2018, 1:54 AM #7
Laz Neptune
in favour of good times
Registration date: 2nd Oct 2017
That still sucks, though. Hopefully, they decide to face the music and give refunds to everyone.
13th Jan 2018, 2:11 AM #8
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
I stumbled down a rabbit hole of watching YouTube vids on this very subject once before. Seems to be a big problem in certain communities with this paid character design thing of artists flaking out of commitments.

I think you were well within your rights to ask first what was going on and second for a refund. How are you to know what happened in this person's life? I can empathise with them if they're going through a shitty time but you'd be surprised how cool people can be when you just let them know the general state of affairs and that it may be a while before the commissions are finished. I this case, the correct thing would have been to refund everyone if they're through with art.

Got away with it.
13th Jan 2018, 2:14 AM #9
Timelapse11

Cooke:
I stumbled down a rabbit hole of watching YouTube vids on this very subject once before. Seems to be a big problem in certain communities with this paid character design thing of artists flaking out of commitments.

I think you were well within your rights to ask first what was going on and second for a refund. How are you to know what happened in this person's life? I can empathise with them if they're going through a shitty time but you'd be surprised how cool people can be when you just let them know the general state of affairs and that it may be a while before the commissions are finished.

I was happy waiting, even if it took a while, but not doing it, not giving a refund or even informing me that it wouldn't be done is just insulting.

13th Jan 2018, 2:26 AM #10
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Yeah, that's the perfect trifecta of getting people annoyed. Doing any one of those things would have at least shored up some confidence in the artist. You see it all the time in failed Kickstarter projects. First the product is pushed back past its due date. Next the communication stops and then there's no refund. The explanations/excuses afterwards are usually, stuff was too complicated, life got in the way, ran out of money etc etc. Unfortunately, it's hard to gauge. I've seen artists with great track records, where you think your money will be well spent, suddenly go flakey without any explaination.

Got away with it.
13th Jan 2018, 3:44 AM #11
Pip
코카콜라
Registration date: 27th Dec 2015
Timelapse11:I went back to find out they had left, so I randomly picked one of the other buyers just to find out that they were friends, she told me the seller was 'couldn't balance art with social life'

That's not even a good reason. I hope you get your money back.