Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How Ambitious is your Comic?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How Ambitious is your Comic?
Pages: [1] [2]

"How Ambitious is your Comic?", 10th Feb 2018, 8:18 PM #1
thattagen

Registration date: 19th Oct 2016
We've all got plans for our projects, some bigger than others. Some of us have hopes that our projects might one day become a Big Deal. After all, the biggest summer superhero blockbuster movies were only comic books decades ago. Bestselling novels sometimes use ideas from the author's school years. Even a massive webseries like Homestuck had its own humble origins.

Today I'm curious: how ambitious is your project, and how does this affect your thought process?

Are your plot points mapped out from beginning to end? Are you just winging it? Are you planning a trilogy? Do you want to eventually self-publish and sell it at conventions? Do you want to make a video game based on it?

Personally, I just like bringing my ideas to life and sharing them with others. I don't plan to make any money off my comic. It's not even planned out very far. I just want others to get inspired by this little modern fantasy world.
10th Feb 2018, 8:37 PM #2
Mothtrap
mouth blood
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
Not all that ambitious, I'm just seeing where it takes me. Can't be bothered to advertise and have no plans of really making any money off it (though I have accrued a mighty $9 from ad revenue on Tapas haha). I do plan to be finished by next summer, so everything's pretty meticulously planned! Then it'll all be wrapped up and that'll be it for my comic! There's a chance I'll come back to it when I'm older and try to do something more with it, rewrite it or put it in another form, but I don't currently plan on anything more than quietly finishing it and moving on to some other project.
10th Feb 2018, 8:39 PM #3
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
It's my passion really. I'm hoping it's the comic that gets me out there and I love it.
10th Feb 2018, 8:40 PM #4
loyaldog
Weasel's new best friend
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
I used to make it up as I went along more in the beginning, but at this point I have a lot of my comics planned out in advance. I even have something of a “stopping point” written out now.

That said, I don’t have any ambitious goals with this. I just like the idea that I’m making maybe 10 people laugh on Wednesdays. That’s something, right?
10th Feb 2018, 9:04 PM #5
Megatronski

Registration date: 17th Jan 2016
I've got mild ambitions for Familiar, I suppose. A good 2-3 year framework of a story, which could easily be extended or cut down depending on if I get any new scenarios and situations to put my characters in. I've divided the story up into "seasons" with overarching stories that start with the "Season premiere" and get resolved with the "Season finale" with a lot of the meat in between being empty so I can fill them up with new stories I think up as I go along.

I suppose my biggest ambition for Familiar is just to expand my reader-base. I don't really care at all about making money on it, I just want more readers, more people visiting the site, more people commenting on my updates, etc. More people reading and enjoying the comic will likely give me more motivation and drive to expand the framework of the comic further and further.
10th Feb 2018, 9:07 PM #6
BeeMKay

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2017
I hope to see a TV series and at least one movie made based on the comic! :-D

I think a lot of us hope for some sort of success/recognition from doing this. If it were otherwise, we'd just keep the story in our drawers, never to see the light of day.

But right now, my main ambition is to get two pages out every week.

Demon Division: Dwellers is fully planned as it's actually the prequel to Demon Division, and without things that happened 60 years ago, you'd have no mages that have to be forced into service...
As for Demon Division itself, that's a bit more open. We (the team) do have a general, overall plot of what will happen in the story's universe, and also, what will happen in the first few chapters. What happens beyond that... the sky's the limit, so to speak.
10th Feb 2018, 9:21 PM #7
Xenocartographer
has a sweet tooth
Registration date: 13th Oct 2010
For Unichat, that's an interesting question. Is my chosen medium more or less ambitious than a graphical one? /shrug

On the other hand, interactive pages and reader contributions definitely push it more in the "ambitious" direction.
10th Feb 2018, 9:26 PM #8
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I'm kinda ambitious, but I'm gonna take it step by step. I do have the whole story planned, and I do hope to sell copies and maybe go to conventions one day. Maybe I'll even write it up into book form. I already know if I were to do that there'd be some changes. It'd be from a different perspective.

I guess there's a bunch of stuff I wanna do really, different comics and books I want to make, and I'd like to see how far I can go with this world. But I don't mind if it takes a long time, because I'm not going to give up. Money's not important to me right now, though if I could, I'd make drawing/writing my day job. it just makes me really happy when people read my stuff!

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
10th Feb 2018, 9:33 PM #9
Zanreo
Literal Lazer Lady
Registration date: 5th May 2014
One of my biggest ambitions is really just to get a bunch of fanwork, I admit x3 Wanna see what people make

As for conventions... the issue there is I love conventions and would hate not to be able to experience it for myself, you know?
10th Feb 2018, 9:49 PM #10
Simzi
Quiet Storm of Words
Registration date: 28th Aug 2015
I'd say my current project is pretty ambitious, but mainly because it's a long story and I'm a huge procrastinator... I guess I take it fairly seriously, and while I try to be realistic with my expectations, I do hope it entertains people.

I have the whole story planned out, though only the first "book" has a set chapter-by-chapter plan. I want to leave room for changes if my writing takes a different direction.

I hope to print out the issues as I go and sell them at conventions, and I'll fantasize about actually printing the comic into a fancy 4-book omnibus set once it's finished XD I even have an idea for a sequel, but I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it.

Though this comic is my baby, I hope that in the long run it won't be my magnum opus. Though I really want to follow through with the story, this is an exercise for me in how to make a comic. I want to eventually make other comics and books, and I figure my first work probably won't be my best.
10th Feb 2018, 10:14 PM #11
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
I have the main plot for each book planned out, with books 1 & 2 fully scripted. I have a chapter outline for book 3, with most of the character arcs planned out, but nothing more concrete than that. My plan is to have the whole thing finished in 6-7 years.

I hope that I can have a TV show made in the future, but I'm not holding my breath lol.

As for video games, there already is one lol.

Nah but seriously I do have some pretty big things planned for the comic in the upcoming weeks and months. Keep an eye out!
10th Feb 2018, 10:40 PM #12
atomicgull
formerly
Registration date: 2nd Jun 2016
Mine is pretty ambitious. It's my NaNoWriMo novel. Not only are plot points mapped out, but the first draft of the entire thing is written. It's maybe on the short side for a novel, but... long side for a webcomic?

I guess it's probably going to take around 10 years to make the whole thing, and I also guess that it's the biggest and only comic I'll ever do. I'm in my mid-thirties now, and if it takes as long as I think it will I could be mid-forties to around fifty years old when it's done! And while I'll always draw... I'll probably not have time for something like another webcomic by then. I'd like to travel. A lot. In an RV. I might have grandkids.

So, pretty ambitious. I should have started years ago. Now it's my one big hurrah!

I have no interest in making money off of it or going to conventions. I just want to tell the story. I've been plotting it (for the novel) since 2013. If I make it to the end I'll probably throw it on Amazon and buy myself a print copy, though.
11th Feb 2018, 4:54 AM #13
Bropocalypse

Registration date: 7th Feb 2018
I guess it's pretty ambitious, but to be able to continue to practice this art is almost the only thing I want to achieve. Therefore all things that maximize the time I can devote to it are a boon.
11th Feb 2018, 8:57 AM #14
Maxis-Geryon

Registration date: 26th Jul 2011
Hoo boy. when I started my comic, I wanted it to be a long and epic saga. I even detailed how the world in Monster Bait works! But then reality set in and realized that I should have prepared the comic itself beforehand.

As Monster Bait was my first series, I honestly thought my script writing would be enough. But once I put the pen on the paper, I found myself revising the story so much it became something different.

Needless to say, it was quite the experience and if anything, it helped my skills in art and writing a tad bit. Also, time management.
11th Feb 2018, 11:56 AM #15
mr.Trouble
is a scourge on the kids
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
Yeah I get that Maxis, I used to be like that too, Eternal Night was gonna be the next lotr or harry potter and i would become famous and everyone would love it yadda yadda... obviously it isn't.

I wanted to take it all the way and make it my legacy and everything but now my only goal is trying to make a good ending for an incredibly flawed and long series. I think I might use the characters I've worked so hard on again for my next project, and do it right that time, but who knows, it's not now and planning so far ahead isn't a good idea.
11th Feb 2018, 1:02 PM #16
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
Too ambitious.

I came up with a story-line that will take me 20+ years at 1 page a week to do. I highly doubt that is going to happen. I'll have retired from my real job before then.
11th Feb 2018, 4:23 PM #17
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
I would be making mine regardless of how well it took off. Fortunately, I'm entertaining a bunch of people, and that's worth it. I would be lying, however, if I didn't want it to become my main source of income and have heights of popularity. That said, I'm also not really the spotlight type.

I do have plans to put it in print in volumes. And a cartoon would be nice, but honestly, that's not a burning desire. I enjoy it as is.

But I suppose it's ambitious enough that it's not a finite story. Finite story arcs, yes, but set up to be ongoing adventures within the town.

In short, ambitious in its scope, and as far as it can take itself. But as is (bringing fun to myself and others for certain) works just fine, too.
11th Feb 2018, 4:37 PM #18
Sir_Fonzie

Registration date: 4th Jun 2013
I have very ambitious plans based on designs I haphazardly winged together
Alittle insanity breads sanity XD
11th Feb 2018, 8:07 PM #19
econdon

Registration date: 2nd Jun 2017
I want my story to be remade into an official graphic novel with minimal changes to the layout and script, but much better quality art done by a team of professional artists and publisher.

I want to gain a lot of traction over the next few years while its in the webcomic phase, and generate fans who will buy the graphic novel.

not looking to do a crowdfunding project, because I don't want responsibility over all those ppl's money.
11th Feb 2018, 10:44 PM #20
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
This comic is going to be way too friggin' long, and sometimes length alone marks a big ambition; after all, those are hundreds and hundreds of hours you're committing to put into digital pieces of artwork that may not even earn you anything. Especially with how much family and career might compete for your precious little time.

Even when I had nobody reading my comics, I've often fantasized about readers' reactions to them and how it might tug at emotions, make someone laugh, surprise people, or even the fun of imagining people shipping the characters or connecting with them, so I guess I had the ambition that one day, someone would actually find them and be impacted from them (maybe once I'm dead my grandkids can find my hand-drawn comics falling apart in my drawer and laugh at how much of a weeb/dork their grandma was. Bwahaha!). Yet I lack the ambition or just too lazy to properly maintain a mirror site and am having doubtful thoughts about actually having them printed. It won't be anything more than some hole-in-the-wall webcomic anytime soon.