Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Weight loss/gain in characters

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Weight loss/gain in characters
Pages: [1] [2]

"Weight loss/gain in characters", 13th Feb 2018, 2:15 PM #1
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I was watching some reality TV about weight loss and it got me thinking... how many characters do we have who go through bodily changes like losing or gaining weight? And I don't mean making it into a very special episode about health or the dangers of extreme eating kind of stuff. I just mean a character who just casually lost or gained weight? Do anybody here have a character like that?
13th Feb 2018, 3:12 PM #2
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
There's Faye from Questionable Content. Few pages actually mention her weight directly, but for part of the story she gets bigger to the point where it starts embarrassing her. When she manages her mental health better and gets a physical job, she gets her weight under control, remains big but in a more in-shape way.
The artist is generally good at making character appearances evolve. Their hair grows between pages, at intervals they get trims, the ones with dye will show roots, they change style of clothes gradually - there it's not fully realistic, they seem to own way more clothes than normal people, but one growing out of an emo phase won't have a whole not-emo wardrobe overnight.
14th Feb 2018, 1:24 AM #3
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I mean, I guess most of the characters in Rethe fit this, if only because all the characters start at age 12, and the story follows them into their twenties.
Magic does not go well with actually eating, so the magic users all go from fairly normal 12 year old to unhealthy skinny. It's been really tricky to get this across because... unhealthy skinny is comic art default. (And at least one character stops or takes a break from magic and fills back out a little). Meanwhile Vedya gains weight as she gets older because she is busy reading.
14th Feb 2018, 2:13 AM #4
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
i can't remember the name of the comic, but it's about this little girl who befriends the grim reaper/death and the comic just goes through her life as she grows older, and at some point nearing her late-adolescence she starts noticeably gaining weight.

thought that was interesting.
14th Feb 2018, 3:02 AM #5
J-son

Registration date: 8th Nov 2017
yeah, i have a character that's a varsity football player now so I delivered his McDonalds for about a week.
14th Feb 2018, 3:29 AM #6
The Doodler

Registration date: 9th Sep 2010
I can't remember the name of it either, but I know what you're talking about.

Yana and Iaroslav and Bekir are underweight during the first winter (thanks to winter coats, I have to show it in their faces more than their bodies) and Iaroslav loses muscle mass (it's the most visible on him, since he's kinda stocky).
Yana's weight fluctuates some in flashbacks -- she's a skinny thirteen-year-old, a kinda chunky fifteen-year-old, and is a little more pear-shaped at seventeen. Then she winds up underweight because civil war/failed state, and "currently" looks healthy in a slightly wiry way, thanks to enough food (finally!) and intense activity.
15th Feb 2018, 1:21 PM #7
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Since the first issue of The Restless Dead I've been trying to have Charlie gradually lose weight and get leaner. But since my art is also getting more refined as it goes it's kind of hard to notice.

15th Feb 2018, 1:25 PM #8
MK_Wizard

The Letter M:Since the first issue of The Restless Dead I've been trying to have Charlie gradually lose weight and get leaner. But since my art is also getting more refined as it goes it's kind of hard to notice.

It makes sense that he would lose weight there because in a zombie apocalypse, you need to ration what you eat.
15th Feb 2018, 1:27 PM #9
The Letter M
Yea, exactly. Less food, more running. He's also supposed to be working out regularly but I've only shown him doing some sit ups once.
15th Feb 2018, 1:29 PM #10
MK_Wizard

I intend to do weight gain with a character too though in their case, it's due to eating out of depression. That is all I will give away though ;)
15th Feb 2018, 1:30 PM #11
The Letter M
Cool. I worry that we're the only ones who would notice, as the artist. But then again, people who binge read will see months of pages in one sitting so they might see the change.
15th Feb 2018, 1:37 PM #12
MK_Wizard

You would be surprised. People are more perceptive than we give them credit for.
15th Feb 2018, 2:32 PM #13
BeeMKay

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2017
My character Seth has the tendency to stop eating properly when he's having Problems/stress, so he's undergoing some weight loss in the course of Dwellers. On the other Hand, both Seth and Duon gained weight at the beginning of Demon Division, compared to Dwellers. Not that they are seriously overweight, just the consequence of richer Food and less excercise.
15th Feb 2018, 2:41 PM #14
MK_Wizard

I think it's important to show bodily changes in characters because it makes them less one dimensional and it also makes the characters more relate-able. And not just weight loss. Aging, scars and just changing their clothes (does anyone even do THAT anymore?!).
15th Feb 2018, 4:00 PM #15
killersteak
Botanist
Registration date: 25th Apr 2011
characters in one piece grow in cup size, does that count?
15th Feb 2018, 5:35 PM #16
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I really like it when there are little changes in a character's design over time. Really helps things feel more real, and I absolutely notice when I see it in stuff. Helps give a sense of time passing, I think. I enjoy seeing that in shows and some comics on here 0w0

It's going to happen in my comic, Nate starts off a skinny runt, but he's going to gain a bit of muscle later in the comic. Seb also starts out a bit 'squishy' then becomes less so, but it probably won't be very obvious. I think everyone else will pretty much stay the same, because no one else's circumstances change very much.

S&S has some child characters and takes place over 13 years, so changes will be more obvious with them- especially nobility, because they start off normal kid size, then shoot up to 8+ ft tall during their teens.

Oh and if anything ever happens to lich characters... Let's just say there's the potential somewhere for them to gain weight.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
15th Feb 2018, 5:37 PM #17
MK_Wizard

Like I said, one character does put on (or winds up emaciated) due to depression. And also, scars and cut hair are something to consider.
15th Feb 2018, 8:39 PM #18
Spelledeg
🥔 Potato Parttaker 🥔
Registration date: 15th Aug 2014
In Now Hiring the most notable character to have bodily change is Maks, he's emaciated due to his circumstances. He can only afford to eat about once a week, on a good week. Over the course of the comic he gains to a healthier weight and stops being a stick.

I think nods to reality and changes that occur over the duration of a story are really cool.

Changes in hair length are another fun one :) I did that to show the passage of time in Black Gate.
15th Feb 2018, 8:57 PM #19
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
zoidolite:i can't remember the name of the comic, but it's about this little girl who befriends the grim reaper/death and the comic just goes through her life as she grows older, and at some point nearing her late-adolescence she starts noticeably gaining weight.

thought that was interesting.

Is Kay and P what you were thinking of? It was "just" a skeleton and not explicitly a grim reaper type, but it generally lines up with what you're saying. It's been forever since I read it though - it fell out of my reading list a while back.
15th Feb 2018, 9:05 PM #20
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
no, it was black and white and the character was actually the grim reaper. it was also on tapastic and made by a girl who went to scad. the title has something about flowers in the name.

edit:it's The Bright Side
Pages: [1] [2]