Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Intermissions

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Pages: [1]

"Intermissions", 14th Feb 2018, 5:17 PM #1
nibattack

Registration date: 11th Apr 2016
How many people have intermissions in their comic? Like breaks between chapters or big sections? Is there another story there? Does it pertain to the actual webcomic like stuff that wouldn't be relevant to the plot but needs to be told to thicken the world? I am doing intermissions planned between chapters right now but I'm starting to think I'm going to stuff a few things just outright into a big section in the middle.
14th Feb 2018, 6:42 PM #2
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
Are you a Homestuck fan

I'm not sure I actually have such intermissions. It all depends on how I'll publish stuff in the future. There are pages that look like newspapers, short prose stories, and such stuff that isn't always relevant to the main plot, but I'm thinking of putting them at the end of each chapter.

I also like cover stories, telling minor adventures across several chapters, one page at a time. (think of One Piece) Not exactly the same thing, but this thread somehow reminded me of that.
14th Feb 2018, 6:48 PM #3
Mel Cormac
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
I think intermissions is a good way to describe what I've been calling "breathers" or "one-offs" in my comic! Because my comic is a comedy without much of an overarching story, I think I have more flexibility here than, say, a drama or a mystery comic.

So I will do a chapter (which may or may not advance the "story"), then when each chapter finishes I have a few one-off gag pages. My thought process is that it varies the pacing and gives me a chance to just show my characters in their downtime. Well, more so than we already see them in their downtime within the chapters, as I said, I'm not exactly writing an action comic! Plus, some jokes only need/deserve one page.

So yeah, I do intermissions, but not to serve much of a world building purpose, more just to have some short, fun goofs with my characters. :)
14th Feb 2018, 7:38 PM #4
nearmintmill
real doctor
Registration date: 18th Feb 2016
yeah, between volumes of the Sovereigncy we have short stories involving characters we dont normally get to focus on. they pertain to the comic but are nice little snapshots into some of the unseen

with the c-files we have what we call 'tweeners. just little one-offs to pass the time
14th Feb 2018, 7:51 PM #5
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
Mel Cormac:I think intermissions is a good way to describe what I've been calling "breathers" or "one-offs" in my comic! Because my comic is a comedy without much of an overarching story, I think I have more flexibility here than, say, a drama or a mystery comic.

So I will do a chapter (which may or may not advance the "story"), then when each chapter finishes I have a few one-off gag pages. My thought process is that it varies the pacing and gives me a chance to just show my characters in their downtime. Well, more so than we already see them in their downtime within the chapters, as I said, I'm not exactly writing an action comic! Plus, some jokes only need/deserve one page.

So yeah, I do intermissions, but not to serve much of a world building purpose, more just to have some short, fun goofs with my characters. :)

I try to do this with Bruno Harm. I'll have a gag strip between the end of one story and the beginning of the next. It's just A nice spot to squeeze in the jokes that you can't pull off mid story. And like Mel says, show the characters just being themselves in their own world.
14th Feb 2018, 8:00 PM #6
Lee M

Registration date: 19th Aug 2013
Over the Christmas break Storm Over Whoomera took a pause to allow Ed Kline to build up the (minuscule) buffer, during which time we posted some concept pages for another of Ed's upcoming projects. I guess that would count as an intermission.

(Edit) Hey, this is my eleven hundred and eleventh post! Cool. Happy Valentine's Day, everyone.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Tumblr | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M
14th Feb 2018, 8:31 PM #7
nibattack

Registration date: 11th Apr 2016
Matt Comics:Are you a Homestuck fan

ahahahahahaha....yes

[quote =nearmintmill]yeah, between volumes of the Sovereigncy we have short stories involving characters we dont normally get to focus on. they pertain to the comic but are nice little snapshots into some of the unseen

with the c-files we have what we call 'tweeners. just little one-offs to pass the time[/quote]

this is what I like to do. I am using my intermissions to tell different stories that pertain to the comic and add to character development and world building I'm also hoping to use it to explore different styles. I have different moods I want set for my comic so I'm using the break up as more of an exploration of that
Pages: [1]