Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Should I use coloured lineart in digital work from now on?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Should I use coloured lineart in digital work from now on?
Pages: [1]

"Should I use coloured lineart in digital work from now on?", 12th Mar 2018, 2:21 AM #1
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
I made this digital drawing of Josh and Angus outside in Braydonsworth (the fictional town where they live) yesterday and right now I'm really quite chuffed with it. It's possibly one of the cutest pieces I've drawn and what makes it stand out from other stuff I've done before is that the lines are coloured according to the fill shade as opposed to left black like on previous digital stuff I've done in the past. I've also blurred the distant background to give the focus on my two characters.

I was simply wondering if you think these changes I've made work with my style and if you have any further suggestions? Personally some of the lines could have been made slightly darker, but I didn't quite know how it was going to turn out when I began work so I'm still pretty happy with the way things went.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
12th Mar 2018, 3:28 AM #2
Milk
formerly Van Husk I
Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
Colored lines are good every once in a while and your style has been maturing well with time. It’s good to expirement with different outline colors and weights but ultimately I’d say stay away from making it your go-to style. For one thing, it takes significantly longer when working on a piece to make each solid color have its own colored outline. A second thing, as you mentioned as well, is that it can quickly muddy the work. You can do a softer color other than black for outlines but I think consistency is a good idea.
12th Mar 2018, 4:03 AM #3
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
I use gradients on my "line" layers to vary the hardness of those contours when I feel it's appropriate.

However, I don't think that colored lineart will ever make a draftsman into a painter.
12th Mar 2018, 5:26 AM #4
Fluffythespider
Governor
Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
I agree with you that the lines on the characters should probably be a bit darker (the background can have lighter lines) and if you want a purely graphical standpoint, probably the outer perimeter lines should be the darkest in comparison to the interior lines if you want it to stand out more.

I also agree with the second poster that coloring lineart is very time consuming. Since your style is fairly cartoon-y, you can probably get away with black or a color that's a cousin of black instead of giving each color shape it's own color. I'd also avoid low-saturation colors for the lineart, Angus's (left one, purple hair?) jean lines look a bit off color-wise, but it could be me, 'cause I'm fairly picky about stuff like that and I admit I'm not an expert.
12th Mar 2018, 10:40 AM #5
RJDG14

Yeah, his jeans are a little more of a royal blue than what would be ideal - if anything, Josh should have his jean colour and vice versa.

12th Mar 2018, 11:40 AM #6
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
You do you. Create something that YOU have designed that is unique and wonderful. Crowd-sourcing every detail of your comic will lead it down that center line of mediocrity. Make some decisions and decide if YOU like it, and go with that.
12th Mar 2018, 2:45 PM #7
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I like it for art piece and when it comes to patterns on clothing or emphasising materials like glass, jewels, fire or liquid, it's good. And it helps me with my speech bubbles, but to be honest, for a comic, I like black lines best unless the whole thing is one unique colour.
14th Mar 2018, 1:34 AM #8
RJDG14

Milk:Colored lines are good every once in a while and your style has been maturing well with time. It’s good to expirement with different outline colors and weights but ultimately I’d say stay away from making it your go-to style. For one thing, it takes significantly longer when working on a piece to make each solid color have its own colored outline. A second thing, as you mentioned as well, is that it can quickly muddy the work. You can do a softer color other than black for outlines but I think consistency is a good idea.

I used FireAlpaca for the lineart which I'm pretty sure you suggested to me about a year ago.

14th Mar 2018, 1:40 AM #9
Bropocalypse

Registration date: 7th Feb 2018
I've considered it in my own work, but I always decide it's to time-consuming compared to the benefits.
14th Mar 2018, 2:14 AM #10
Milk
formerly Van Husk I
Registration date: 31st Jul 2014
Yep! I still use Firealpaca for all of my art currently.
14th Mar 2018, 1:40 PM #11
taikina
a dark, yet alluring presence
Registration date: 6th Mar 2016
i think your style would benefit from colored outlines. remember that the outline can also be lighter than the coloring! i think josh's hair for example could use a lighter colored outline, maybe the jeans too.

Forum > Critique > Should I use coloured lineart in digital work from now on?
Pages: [1]