Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Base emotions

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Pages: [1]

"Base emotions", 12th Mar 2018, 8:26 PM #1
Sir_Fonzie

Registration date: 4th Jun 2013
So a topic in a class I'm taking we are on human emotions and we were given this awesome colour wheel with a three tier system that gives more refined emotions along the way (ie. Happy, proud, confident) which is a super cool tool But I want to expand on it for an artist tool and that's where I need help. Wording and finding The best term and description. Most likely these will dissolve into other threads to get the refinement I desire.

So for this first part what I need is what do you consider to be base emotions. Like the base root most general word for the emotion you can think of ie happy. You can be peaceful proud playful trusting or a whole bunch of other words but it's derived from a happy feeling.

Now I have some through this chart I was given but I find it to be slightly off. And since I got the extra time, from the bus taking off to til I get home, I wanna what my fellow artists on comic fury feel the base emotions to be, before I reveal and compare what I was given. There are a few words I am looking to replace because I feel it just doesn't work and well the people I trust the most to help me figure out better wordage is actors and artists a d writers because we work heavily with emotions trying to understand the base roots so we can better translate that feeling through our characters or works

So again, since I get wordy, what do you feel are the base emotions of people.
Alittle insanity breads sanity XD
12th Mar 2018, 9:34 PM #2
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I can't talk for people because I don't think my experience is super relatable, but here's the way I see it
(mental illness talk because it's relevant)
12th Mar 2018, 9:40 PM #3
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
The emotions shown in the movie Inside Out were not chosen for no reason. I believe it's been put forward in psychology by... someone that there are six universal emotions that any human can recognise in another, regardless of factors like differing cultures etc. Those are happiness, sadness, anger, disgust, fear and surprise. (surprise got left out the movie for being too similar to joy and fear.) Other emotions stem from those or a combination. I think I can see that, even if I'm not totally invested in looking into or believing it wholeheartedly. Feelings are complicated and I'm ill right now so I'm gonna trail off here XD But that's what I can remember from psychology lessons.
13th Mar 2018, 1:04 AM #4
Sir_Fonzie

I think of emotions less "sad to happy" and more "none to lots". It's less a color wheel and more saturation for me. Sorry if this gets a bit poetic, but talking about emotions and color leads to that.

never apologize for that i really do love the way you described that way. So first off like i was totally expecting this thread to veer in a different route but this is so much better this is why i felt way more comfortable asking this here than anywhere else.

the saturation idea is lovely but i feel you can also take that into account for every emotion (content, happy, manic) (grumpy, annoyed, enraged) kinda scaling. i do love your poetic words for the situation and mindset you described, i actually do feel similar in some regards but have never been able to express it in words so thank you for giving me a new perspective to work from but for the purpose of this thread i want to generalize this just little bit xD. So emma put a pin on your saturation concept and pull that up again later

i agree with you on emotions being less sad to happy but as an animator i do gotta think with that mindset but the color wheel aspect came into play from my unemployment class and the teacher just likes to color code and organize it. i thought the three tiered wheel system was interesting cause then i could challenge myself with really hard ones like fearful-venerable-courageous and either make a character trying to convey all three at once or animating between the three. I have studied many years of acting and well emotion is a tool and despite what I'm feeling i can act whatever i need to be like. a learned trait that has helped me well in life but not because i studied each individual emotion but because i was taught about energy levels "none to lots" is a good idea of it but i was taught energy in a matter of levels 1st, 2nd,3rd circles. 1st being very timid energy almost none, trying to be as tiny as possible. 2nd circle which is neutral the state you generally are in after exhaling a deep breath usually the natural extent of "YOUR bubble" . and 3rd which in acting is the taking up as much space on the stage or area as possible. but the mindset equates very well to your 110% description, and after watching a dancer who twisted their foot and finishing the routine and getting off stage before anyone really knew the extent of what happened was her at 110%. but like yeah the wheel i feel is in adequate as well but a fun tool if we as artists can refine it cause i picture it being one of those spin boards when each tier can line up different to present challenges.

The emotions shown in the movie Inside Out were not chosen for no reason. I believe it's been put forward in psychology by... someone that there are six universal emotions that any human can recognise in another, regardless of factors like differing cultures etc. Those are happiness, sadness, anger, disgust, fear and surprise. (surprise got left out the movie for being too similar to joy and fear.) Other emotions stem from those or a combination.

i actually forgot about inside out thanks for reminding me. ok so the teacher's emotions are as follow

sad
happy
surprised
fearful
angry
disgusted
bad.....

Bad. the emotion of bad thats what really made me want to bring this up to try and fix personally like i mean it has some very interesting emotions derived down the list but just uhhhhh the wording irks me oh it irks me so. i tried looking up what philosophy says but that was a load of crap no one can agree on what they kinda are.

i can see sad bing a base root, same with happy and angry. surprised fearful and disgusted makes sense but fear fear words better as a base root of i feel cause then we can apply the saturation and get a whole different kinds of fears and in that mindset i feel those base 6 jammy put forth does work better but where does jealousy envy, tired pressured,apathetic indifferent. those are valid feelings that are nessaclily bad feelings but thinking on it those feelings are kinda in their own sub category like whats a better word for the human nature we posses or do those words fall into descriptor words on a saturation scale? cause i feel like i could feel the saturation for each of those emotions in its own scale to some degree.

Feelings are complicated

they most definitely are but if we are to mimic them to tell a story we must study the complicated beastie xD i think id argue and end up getting kicked out of a philosophy course so I've resigned to make what little sense of it i can but if by asking a question around my peers can potentially reach similar results why be kicked out of a class xD
13th Mar 2018, 3:25 AM #5
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
I always think of the 3 bases as "Happy, Sad, Angry" but, it's true, some emotions don't even fit into either of those categories. You'd need positive, negative, and neutral. Or neutral can be like a little gray dot in the very center for when you're just not feeling anything.

Maybe (center)neutral dot, (Bases) Happy, Sad, Angry, Fear, Surprise, Disgust

and I don't know, something never sat right with me with surprise and disgust as base emotions. It technically doesn't fit into the other categories, so I guess they belong there. Maybe because they tend to be sudden and fleeting. And because they often bleed into the other emotions, like HAPPY surprise or SAD surprise!
13th Mar 2018, 10:40 AM #6
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
I like to think of things like computer programs. I imagine that If we knew everything in the universe, we could boil it down into two states, ON and OFF. So emotions for instance. It's sort of a self assessment right? So I'd say, at it's core, you are either OK or NOT OKAY. And there are a million other switches to factor in after that. HUNGRY-NOT HUNGRY. IN PAIN- NO PAIN. And so on and so on until you get to complicated algorithms about job satisfaction and relationship issues involving laundry.
14th Mar 2018, 6:35 AM #7
Sir_Fonzie

On off

Well that is kinda a good description of the base emotion feeling but that doesn't give a lot to work with artistically

edit: i believe I misspoke saying that it doesn't give a lot to work with artistically. For giving a range of emotion words to draw about well not do much but this idea lends more help to an animator can you take a character from neutral (off) to the desired emotion and level of energy (on) and back again?

The rule of three
So the three base emotions of sad happy anger works well together but in some redundant research one philosophy cuts them down to happiness and fear so therefore surprise fear and disgust work well in it's own triad. But then your neutral comment makes a good point as well as the concept of divine. But then what of the missing link of that triad. Primal possibly? It would be cool to see people's interpretation of those three triad concepts layered. Together

Base 6
Sad
Fear
Happy
Anger
Disgust
Suprised

Saturation
The idea that emotion quantifies on a scaling factor 50% is balance much like the 0 position on a scale and tolerance values are -50_+50. This I believe is a great concept to get a vast amount of emotions to draw but what are the base roots that would be used on the scale? Not to discredit swamps poetic words but My summary makes me think of Sims. But swamps definition scale is something I can't touch the beauty of that wordship magnificent

Colours
Equating certain emotions to colour. While I feel this is abstract in a sense cause how I relate to colour may not be how you do but I think it's very valid to talk about how you personally associate colour.
Fauvism is one of my personal favourite art styles because it emphasises not using colour in its natural state but rather as what you as the artist feel and interpret it as.

Understanding what colours we associate feelings and such with we can artistically set up a pallete that can help relay those emotions and feeling

Base 2
Love and fear
This philosophy talked about emotions as negative and positive I understand the mindset but personally I don't believe any thought or emotion is inherently good or evil so this idea just doesn't give me much to work with

Base 4
So I read another article where they did a study on the facial muscles and found fear and surprise; anger and disgust. Have the same base muscles. And well ok that gives a good base to work on but what kinda of scaling do we add to get The varies range of derived emotions??

Base 8
So this is the one I feel suits my op. And it gives a good range and blend for expanding outwards but hearing how you all equate emotion I'd love to hear your ideas on if this is a good format or if it could be improved

Circle energy: quantifying scale for directed energy
1st circle taking up as little space and energy As possible
2nd circle neutral state
nerd circle taking up as much energy and space as possible
Good for creating dynamic emotions but what emotions?

In no way do I feel anyone is wrong on how "you" define your emotions. It is similar to your morals only you can truely say what's wrong or what's right. What I aim to do is creation of emotion tools artist can use as references so one can mimic or rather translate it.
15th Mar 2018, 3:02 AM #8
Sir_Fonzie

so heard some others today i thought were kinda cool

temperature: well description wise much like saturation but like i thought it was cool how this one girl equated the feeling of heat building up inside her in a situation where she stood her ground against a register person (geranilzing) who was trying to not run coupons for her (situation does not matter as it was not mine to have but her expression resonated with me)have you ever equated emotions with temperature before?

behavioral stances

Passive assertive aggressive, an explanation on how to interpret emotion to action triad structure and can be altered by addition of extra trait, passively aggressive, assertively passive, etc

rational irrational

i forgot what the teach said that made me write this down sadly but thinking on it know i think it was referring to emotions singing up to behavior, like crying over a lost pen or punching a wall overtime you hear bad news, in a class that trying to help people get a job i get the mindset but for artistic purposes rational is just as valid as irrational cause that is life it happens people feel those extreme ways and well thinking how one may rationally react vs irrationally react is the difference of the message we are trying to make, it also makes me think of over acting in silent film movies but this is another interpretation of emotion to action not what is emotion i feel.
16th Mar 2018, 4:45 PM #9
Sir_Fonzie

So I'm not sure anyone is interested in this imma just put one more that I thought of and then if the thread dies the thread dies twas nice at least putting my thoughts into words so I can read them layer XD

Alignment
5 states good evil lawful chaotic neutral
3 by 3 grid that can explain a characters actions by morals

Morals as emotions are the individuals creations. Only the individual truely knows what it feels is right or wrong what makes them happy what makes them sad but as creators of mindsets that may differ from our own it's helpful to have a model to track. I'm gonna be exploring a character falling into insanity and becoming evil so personally DnD alignment mapping is gonna come in handy making sure his decent is believable and not just going from average smuck to evil (killing joke shows the events that stacked up causing the joker to go insane)

Originally all I was wanting to do was refine an uncomplete tool I received from a non art related class but thanks to y'all I found much better insights and thoughts to add to the way I build characters so thank you :)
17th Mar 2018, 1:18 AM #10
Jessie Blue

Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
This is a great thread and I'd also like to know what colors people associate with what moods? I've got something I'm working on something where I have a creature that changes color with mood and I'd love to hear some other people's thoughts.
I had planned on red for anger, and green for fear (but more as camouflage than a mood sign) and yellow for joy, but what color should love be? I like the idea of using intensity of hue to match intensity of feeling, so love couldn't be pink.
Possibly love is purple? It's a complicated emotion, the red of passion and the blue of nervousness mixing together to make a giddy purple?
20th Mar 2018, 6:13 AM #11
Sir_Fonzie

Have fun with the variety that people feel color and look into synesthesia that might help ya a lot. A special ed teacher friend of mine was telling me how one of her kids explained sound like a bat and each person had their own color

For me pink is my love colour like peachy pink cause I get nervous and I'm too focused on not trying to say anything dumb so I would turn a colour I'd feel awkward in. Blue is a very calming color but depending on the intensity you'd get extremely happy or rage like an ocean. Yellow is my anger color

Another one that looks similar to the circle theory is "the bubble" how far you project energy. Naturally my bubble extends only a few inches cause I'm used to slipping through crowds it gives off a friendly attitude because my energy isn't projected out bad side anyone feel comfortable striking a conversation with me like no matter what it leads to very uncomfortable situations but if I use my vocal training from theater I can extend my bubble in an instant and flip that unconfortness around. Its something I don't enjoy doing often but it does provide protection lol

I got some others ideas I want to put down but ugh anxiety stress doesn't let me think or draw cause I'm super stuck in my head typing things out but I want my thought to be more organized than word vomit
20th Mar 2018, 12:14 PM #12
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Well, I don't just think of colours when I think of base emotions. I also think of patterns. Shock would have an explosive pattern, pain would have jolting patterns, love would be glowing for me, and sorrow, depression or dread would be dark hues. I guess it depends on the moment too.
Pages: [1]