Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Feeling unmotivated despite wanting to be

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Feeling unmotivated despite wanting to be
Pages: [1]

"Feeling unmotivated despite wanting to be", 13th Mar 2018, 9:00 PM #1
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
I haven't updated Frames in a long while and it's.. upsetting. I still love my characters and the story I'm trying to tell with them but things have been really tough in several different ways recently and it's making me lose confidence. I've been like this for over a year now, wanting to work on it but barely having the belief that what I'm doing is good or worthwhile. I'm constantly afraid that what I'm doing is boring or dumb and I can barely draw pages any more though I haven't stopped. I still sit down and try to get things done but the pace is excruciatingly slow because of my absence of confident passion.

Should I keep going? I really want to, but I don't know how long it'll be before I feel better about my work and can get into the rhythm again. I've never gotten this far into something before and I'd rather not throw it out, but my insecurities are suffocating.
13th Mar 2018, 9:47 PM #2
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
I'd like to believe every artist at one point or another gets to a point in life where they question continuing to work on their stuff.

Whether it be because they're not getting the satisfaction any more from doing the work, don't think their art is any good, don't have the time to devote any more due to other pressing matters, lose motivation altogether, or various other things.

In fact, I believe an artist is their own greatest enemy/biggest critic.

I've had a number of times where I questioned keeping on going with my comic as it requires a lot of time and work, but I also recall before I started the comic, I spent so much time basically not doing ANYTHING productive. Just playing video games and vegetating.

I've been subscribed to your comic for some time, heckos. Your art has come quite a ways in the time you've been doing the comic, and I really like your art style.

If you need something to help get you back into the 'rhythm' of things again perhaps just do some stuff outside your comics for a while to see if you can get the passion for the comic back again. Whatever it takes. Do commission work, art lessons, random sketches of characters, whatever. Just keep yourself arting as it were.

In time, hopefully that desire to do your comic again will resurface with new confidence.

13th Mar 2018, 9:52 PM #3
Jean_Q_Citizen

Registration date: 21st Oct 2015
What he said. Hell, I'm not even the artist on my comic, just the writer...and I've still had multiple times where I just want to give up. Hang in there, you'll get back to feeling like it eventually. Your art's not bad at all.

Worst case scenario, if you REALLY just aren't feeling it, take a hiatus. Never do the "screw it, I'm taking the whole site down" thing. You'll almost certainly regret it later.
13th Mar 2018, 9:58 PM #4
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
Important:
heckos:I still love my characters and the story I'm trying to tell with them

Everything else, not so much. Don't overthink it, draw for you. Your art and story are unique and beautiful, so just draw for YOUR love of art, your story and your characters.

All that other fluff is your brain catastrophizing, which ain't healthy.

You can do it, we believe in you.
14th Mar 2018, 2:24 AM #5
loyaldog
Weasel's new best friend
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
I have the "not thinking anything I make is good or worthwhile" problem on a semi-regular basis, so this thread's kind of a relief. You're definitely not alone here.

I don't know how to fully deal with the insecurities, but I'd say keep going. Like argylefox said, if you care about the story you're trying to tell, then that's the main thing.
14th Mar 2018, 4:37 AM #6
joeyballast
decked out
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
I sometimes feel this way, too.

It.

Fucking.

Sucks.

So I give you metaphorical hugs and hope that you find your rhythm again soon.

I wish I had advice to give, but it'd be pretty standard 'don't give up' and such. Nothing new. Nothing unexpected.

Good luck. I'm pretty sure everyone on Comicfury is sending you good vibes right now.
14th Mar 2018, 7:58 AM #7
Sheik
smartest motherfucker around
Registration date: 5th Dec 2012
There's a book I read called "why motivating people doesn't work... and what does". It's meant for managers but it's got some really interesting info on the mechanism of motivation. Might be worth checking the library for it, or another evidence based book that talks about motivation.
14th Mar 2018, 9:14 AM #8
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
heckos:I've been like this for over a year now, wanting to work on it but barely having the belief that what I'm doing is good or worthwhile.

It is good and worthwhile, at least for you, and that's what matters. As long as you like what you're doing, you have the potential to keep doing it, no matter how unmotivated you may feel today or tomorrow.

Readers are definitely important, but nothing fills the void like your own satisfaction. A story is done for yourself first. If you aren't feeling satisfied right now, it's probably because of too much pressure, boredom, or maybe you're stretching yourself a bit thin.

It's easy to fix that. Take your time. There's no pressure. Maybe shake things up if you feel bored by the current state of your comic. (introduce a new character, a new setting, experiment with backgrounds, any kind of creative exercise) Maybe change your update schedule. One of the keys to feeling satisfied with your comic is doing it in the way that suits you best, even if it requires experimentation. So...

Should I keep going?

Definitely. Who cares how long it takes, as long as you don't give up, and find the best way to do it.

Also, I really like your banner. It catches my eye every time I see it on the forums.
14th Mar 2018, 10:05 AM #9
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Yeah, been there; done that. My 4th is the only one still going, because that was the one I really WANTED to do all along, but needed better art for.... but if it was "live" it would've been sadly 'sketchy', this past few months, if it wasn't for having a large buffer. I think I've put together about half a dozen pages this year ! ...and at 3 times a week, that'd be pathetic !
As it happens, it's close to the end of Book 2, so it'll be "on hiatus" ( a fancy phrase for slacking off ), from April.

I really only do it for me -although we all like readers ! - but my "couple of dozen" seem to have gone from a page or two, to an average of about 20 pages per read. SO now I feel like there's more interest, so I _want_ to be motivated ! B-)
14th Mar 2018, 10:46 AM #10
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
This is why we need lots of tenacity and bit of not caring. You are in the middle of swamp, you can't turn back. Screw those creepy critters and mud, you must go forward. What's all...
14th Mar 2018, 4:01 PM #11
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
Thanks so much ;_; I really appreciate all the nice things you had to say, and I think I'll definitely continue Frames even if it's going to be a bit dead for a while. (Even if I was churning out pages like the old days, I have a junior thesis to worry about so it would be on a break soon anyway I guess?) I don't know when I'll update next, but I have a bunch of pages done and I'll keep making more. It's not over yet.

Thanks again
14th Mar 2018, 5:00 PM #12
Bropocalypse

Registration date: 7th Feb 2018
Alright, here's the shitty part about being an artist:

It's literally impossible to gauge your own art. As the artist, you are a slave to your own expectations. What you create will never match what you envision. Because you have that comparison in your head, you will always feel like you're falling short.
14th Mar 2018, 5:00 PM #13
Bropocalypse

Registration date: 7th Feb 2018
Alright, here's the shitty part about being an artist:

It's literally impossible to gauge your own art. As the artist, you are a slave to your own expectations. What you create will never match what you envision. Because you have that comparison in your head, you will always feel like you're falling short.
18th Mar 2018, 9:02 AM #14
Rechkalov

Registration date: 11th Mar 2013
"The price an artist pays
for doing what he wants
is that he must do it."
- W.S. Burrouchs