Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How Music Influences Your Comic Book?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How Music Influences Your Comic Book?
Pages: [1] [2]

"How Music Influences Your Comic Book?", 31st Mar 2018, 5:35 PM #1
MegaRdaniels

Registration date: 16th May 2016
When I write my stories, I always listen to
Spiritual Machines, Mark Moorison, Hellbilly Deluxe, Rage Against the Machine, Cage the Elephant, Foo Fighters and 3 Days Grace in my stories. But mainly Spiritual Machines. When writing a fighting scene I mainly turn to Spiritual Machines and sometimes Rage Against the Machine for inspiration for my comic book, Stringy and Mopy: The Adventure Begins.

Fighting Scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUoXHPYEuHk

31st Mar 2018, 6:48 PM #2
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I listen to music while I draw, but I just can't listen to anything when I write, it's too distracting. I like to listen to a wide variety of stuff, and it's definitely influenced my stuff. My comic wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for hearing a song by chance at a place I used to go. XD I like to listen to songs of different moods to get into the right frame of mind to work.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
31st Mar 2018, 7:16 PM #3
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Music pretty much created my worlds along with random stuff I study haha. I can think up an entire story arc structure by listening to a good prog metal song
31st Mar 2018, 10:18 PM #4
128mega

Registration date: 20th Feb 2018
The entirety of Slumberara's tone and style is based on songs by the band Muse (like Showbiz and maybe Stockholm Syndrome). I would also consider "Space Monkey" by Placebo to be the theme song. Either that or Panic Switch by the Silversun Pickups.
31st Mar 2018, 10:37 PM #5
Maxis-Geryon

Registration date: 26th Jul 2011
The music that influences my stories are tracks from Guilty Gear and Blazblue. Classic Rock interlaced with J-pop is what works for me.
31st Mar 2018, 10:44 PM #6
Zor15

Registration date: 18th Jul 2012
Music helps me with setting the tone of my comics. I mostly listen to anime theme songs/fan-dubs for happy, silly or sad moments and rock and roll for energetic and action moments.

[b]U0.0U Woof! Woof!
31st Mar 2018, 10:46 PM #7
Stilldown

Registration date: 19th Nov 2016
There's always some vinyl turning when I draw my comic.
31st Mar 2018, 10:49 PM #8
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Given my comic is about nostalgia, I generally use 80s, 90s, and 00s music a lot for pages for whatever the situation in the comic has going on, or commonly as a joke.

Like when my lead character is singing Tears for Fears "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" as her employees question her possibly turning evil.

31st Mar 2018, 10:50 PM #9
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Riot scenes require heavy metal!
31st Mar 2018, 10:58 PM #10
panky

Registration date: 5th Oct 2017
I listen to a lot of Gorillaz, King Krule, Death Grips and A Tribe Called Quest while drawing. My music taste is pretty much all over the place.
31st Mar 2018, 11:15 PM #11
NiaNook
not the one who meowed (?)
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
I used to burn CD's with different mood music, so a sad-music CD for when I'm drawing a sad scene, and energetic music for action scenes; that sorta thing.

This was too effective for some parts, because I guess I got swayed too much from the music and would accidentally make the characters too sad.
31st Mar 2018, 11:17 PM #12
Nyomi
Drum bum
Registration date: 15th Jun 2016
Music is like, 70% of my inspiration. For all stories. Most of my ideas have come from listening to music. Don't really have playlists, though- its more like getting ideas from the moods and stories of the songs I listen to as they come. :^)
31st Mar 2018, 11:42 PM #13
128mega

Registration date: 20th Feb 2018

wooaahh lmao
1st Apr 2018, 6:34 AM #14
Mel Cormac
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
My brain is so fussy, I have to tailor what music I listen to at different stages of the comicing process.

During writing I can't listen to anything at all. Total silence, or I can't concentrate.

While sketching I have to listen to classical music, no matter the mood (classical as in the overall genre, not the time period, don't @ me), I can't explain why, I found this out by accident. I would have thought it would distract me (very complex music requires me to listen very intently), but there you go. I have a YouTube playlist of some my favourites.

While inking and colouring I can listen to absolutely anything at all: my comic playlist I made, random music I like, podcasts, video essays, let's plays, films, hell white noise might just do it for me, just something to listen to.

I'm not sure how much music inspires my comic, I'm admittedly not particularly musically minded. I like music, I just don't get as much out of it as others do (I'm jealous of people who feel music very deeply, that rarely happens to me). I mentioned before I have a playlist of songs that remind me of my comic, but they don't really inspire my comic, more like my comic inspired me to make the playlist...
1st Apr 2018, 7:27 AM #15
SpiraPhantom

Registration date: 26th Mar 2018
I'm a gamer and my art is mostly videogame-related or videogame-inspired. So I often listen to soundtracks of various videogames while working, usually listening to themes associating with the characters I draw.
1st Apr 2018, 7:18 PM #16
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
Occasionally a scene in my comic is connected in my mind to a specific piece of music, in which case I am listening to it in a loop while drawing that scene, but that is by no means my usual modus operandi...
1st Apr 2018, 7:43 PM #17
monoushi

Registration date: 27th Dec 2015
The music I listen to helps me visualise scenes when I'm drafting them out, so my itunes playlists have specific names to each story B')

1st Apr 2018, 7:50 PM #18
bmac85

Registration date: 19th Nov 2017
Music influences everything I do, since I write about it for a living and also play guitar and stuff. So music has been a huge part of my comic. I have a soundtrack loosely worked out for the entire story and am including suggested tracks with each new issue, and have written a few songs for the comic that I currently don't have a good way to record, so it's integral to the storytelling. As far as what music ... everything from Slayer to Lady Gaga to Public Enemy. Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain album is super inspiring to draw and write to. 128mega mentioned Muse and I add a major HELL YEAH to that. Something about their music is perfect for creating crazy sci-fi stuff to/with/around, and a number of their songs have been influential for my comic too.
1st Apr 2018, 8:39 PM #19
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
I generally don't listen to anything when working on LL. I probably should, but... If I do, I tend to listen to either some kind of patriotic music, or something like the Superman soundtrack by John Williams.

Now, right now I am also working on a fantasy novel set in a world based on ancient China. Sometimes for that I listen to classical Chinese music on YouTube.
2nd Apr 2018, 9:04 PM #20
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
I really need to get round to starting my comic properly - I have my story but haven't found time to get into the habit of drawing a page ona regular basis. As for how it influences my stuff, I feel music helps give my style and story its vibe. I like quite a lot of 80s/90s/early 00s stuff, in particular alternative/indie rock,and certain songs have helped influence the mood of my work.

Spoiler: Angus is very intelligent, and he creates a simulated world (using technology that his father has) which he calls New Cuyahoga. This is a reference to a 32 year old song by R.E.M. which I really like.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How Music Influences Your Comic Book?
Pages: [1] [2]