Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Is it possible to make a webcomic with a mouse

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Is it possible to make a webcomic with a mouse
Pages: [1] [2]

"Is it possible to make a webcomic with a mouse", 11th Apr 2018, 3:14 AM #1
TheRagingMole

Registration date: 6th Apr 2018
I'm making a webcomic with a mouse. I'm using MS Paint for making comics since Photoshop is confusing. So is it really possible to make a great webcomic with a mouse and an amateur art program like paint?
11th Apr 2018, 3:17 AM #2
TheMario360

Registration date: 19th Dec 2013
Yes. I did that exact thing for years.
11th Apr 2018, 3:24 AM #3
Rulerbrain
swears it's 7 inches
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
Sure, though it might be easier if you sketch a page by hand on paper first and scan it in. Then you can do the lines and everything else with a mouse
11th Apr 2018, 3:29 AM #4
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
I promise you, the time it takes to learn to use a tablet and a pro-level program (i.e. Clip Studio or Photoshop or etc.) will be paid back to you in spades. I mean, you could run a marathon barefoot, but why?

If this is something you want to do, go get the equipment the successful people use.

edit: I can't draw for crap, but Manga Studio and a Wacom Bamboo hide that fact pretty effectively.
11th Apr 2018, 3:33 AM #5
mr.Trouble
started a new life without the kids
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
I've made a few comics with mspaint, now I draw with Paint.NET (it offers the most necessary options of photoshop but is free) I haven't yet made any comics with that program but I drew my avatar like that. Yes it's entirely possible to draw with mouse and with enough training it'll look just as good as any other method. But you should really try to learn to use a proper program if you want it to look professional
11th Apr 2018, 3:46 AM #6
LukaszZ
ComicFury Baby
Registration date: 16th Dec 2008
Dinosaur Comics has been doing it for like a decade and a half and it was big for a while.
11th Apr 2018, 3:51 AM #7
Jay042
Keeps with the times
Registration date: 7th Nov 2009
While it can be done, it is easier if you just develop your skills with the higher end programs. If the price point of a Wacom is out of reach, there are cheaper brands available
11th Apr 2018, 4:24 AM #8
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Agree with the rest of the thread. It's possible, but much harder.

I use Krita (which is free) and a Monoprice Tablet (60$) which works fine for me
11th Apr 2018, 4:38 AM #9
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
TheRagingMole:I'm making a webcomic with a mouse. I'm using MS Paint for making comics since Photoshop is confusing. So is it really possible to make a great webcomic with a mouse and an amateur art program like paint?

Yep ! I do all the time.... I got myself "Twisted Brush" - initially a freee download, but then I paid for an upgrade Paint isn't much use for actual panel creation ( although I use it a lot to edit panels onto pages and skewing stuff if I need that ), I found, which is why I went for T-B. There're plenty of others out though. I started doing pen/ink,scan in, colour,,,that didn't last long - and was back in 2010 !

It does tale a bit of getting used to, using a mouse - but once you do... I wouldn't go back !

Good Luck !
11th Apr 2018, 7:33 AM #10
Fluffythespider
Governor
Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
I'd say you could get away with using a mouse, but unless you are an exceptionally skilled artist, it'd be worth your while to invest in a better program than paint. If you need something free, there are many great options like Krita or paint.net as others have already said.

If you do decide to get a new program, find if the brush tool has a stability or correction or weight setting and put that at the highest setting if you are going to use a mouse with it. That way you can make lines that actually look half way decent.

Edit: Also, to the OP, I accidentally clicked dislike on your post and can't undo it! Just letting you know that was a mistake.
11th Apr 2018, 8:50 AM #11
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Oh, you mean a mouse for drawing. I was thinking you meant a mouse CHARACTER. LOL

You can use a mouse, but it'll be infinitely more difficult.

I use a mouse to draw in the whites of my characters eyes as well as the lips, but I have the pictures super zoomed in when I do.

11th Apr 2018, 9:33 AM #12
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
It definitely is possible to draw with a mouse, my first three chapters were drawn that way too. But it does feel so much faster and easier to use a tablet, once you have the hang of it. I refused to get one for years, but now I wouldn't want to do any art without it.

It is also possible to do good art with paint, but not easy. Really not easy. I'd recommend you get a different program. It's really worth struggling through getting used to one. There are just so many features paint doesn't have. There are some decent free ones out there, if you don't want to spend money.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
11th Apr 2018, 9:45 AM #13
NiaNook
not the one who meowed (?)
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
Any tool can be harnessed and used to create art.

MS Paint does have a nice simplicity that makes some tasks easier... and other tasks much harder. Something like layers takes getting used to, but think of how great it is to be able to draw over something or move something around without damaging the drawing below it!

Of the free programs mentioned above, I'd like to add Gimp and FireAlpaca to the list. Gimp is still pretty confusing, in my opinion. FireAlpaca is actually a lot like Photoshop or Sai but with some of the extra fluff cut out, so it takes less time to learn how to use it. However, everybody starts somewhere, so taking some time to just play around with the tools will teach you a lot :)

And using a mouse will take longer. It's probably easier to stick with pixel art... Especially if you have to use the mouse with your non-dominant hand, lol. It's tricky, but doable, until you get the funds to get yourself a shiny tablet
11th Apr 2018, 11:53 AM #14
Seabiscuit
mattress of pork aspiration
Registration date: 14th Jan 2014
Of course! Personally I've been at it for years- not with paint though.

Gonna echo most posts here though and agree it's generally not recommended- man, I couldn't imagine doing it without layers functionality at the least. If you really wanna use a mouse, I'd recommend at least a program with vector capability, like paint tool sai or clip studio, it can be helpful for those tricky parts.
11th Apr 2018, 12:30 PM #15
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Honestly, you would be very surprised what some artists can do with the simplest equipment. Most don't even have fancy stuff because they can't afford it. It's not having fancy equipment that makes your craft good. It's your skill and having the right equipment. Most of mine is from the dollar store or free.
"Yes, but mouse goes better with vector", 11th Apr 2018, 1:42 PM #16
xwindows
ascii man
Registration date: 23rd Dec 2014
Yes it is, but that will require a lot of patience. And when it is done right, it can also give your comic a very distinct look. Nevertheless, doing this is not recommended in general, unless you are in for some specific art style or skill challenge.

Slightly off topic now: I would like to note that I draw with mouse too, though I'm rather using vector drawing program because of this reason. (I use a free and reliable Inkscape 0.48) Vector is more friendly to mouse users because you don't have to "nail it" at the first sketch; you can doodle as rough as you like, then refine the shapes later, down to every single dot, color, line, and curve.

Other bonuses of vector are: vector files use a very small disk space (usually sub-megabyte); and they never pixelate, no matter how large you resize them to. The downside is when you would like to do painting-like, or eye-pleasing semi-realistic artworks; you would need to work extra to overcome the "flat" look which is more-or-less inherent to this format.
"Hey! MS Paint & a Mouse is how I make my comics too! XD", 11th Apr 2018, 5:36 PM #17
Kei Esteban
Catgirl Connoisseur
Registration date: 11th Feb 2018
I really do enjoy how simple MS Paint is.
(also I could never get use to a stylus)

Even after using more Advanced Software & Tools, those are still my favorite.
But that's me tho. I could see how many others wouldn't want too.

It's even possible to have a popular comic with even the simplest Art.
I think a lot of people care more about Story & Characters.
(Or just write some really good jokes, that works too!)

For as long as you enjoy making comics with them, & like the results, than it should be fine.

Hey Xwindows, that comic you linked too looks great! I'll have to give it more of a read later.
12th Apr 2018, 1:40 PM #18
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
You can make it with a mouse.
You can make it in a house.

You can make it with a fox.
you can make it in a box.

you can make it here or there.
You can make it anywhere.

(I can't believe this didn't happen earlier)
12th Apr 2018, 1:45 PM #19
Lightfoot

Registration date: 25th Mar 2010
There was a guy years ago at ComicDish who would draw with a mouse. I felt like he almost did it to be a rebel. He was really good at it, and you couldn't even tell he wasn't using a tablet. Detailed coloring sometimes and everything.

15th Apr 2018, 1:22 PM #20
Rechkalov

Registration date: 11th Mar 2013
You can do a webcomic entirely in toothpaste if you so desire.
There are literally no rules.

That being said, I've had this odd observation about MS Paint; it is incredibly relaxing.
People will probably suggest you go ahead and learn some proper program, and they are not wrong, but developing an MS Paint habit is certainly not a waste of time; whenever I get too tense about drawing, I just open good old 'Painting' and do myself a page or two of something silly.
I imagine it has something to do with you being aware that MS Paint is a shit software, and the product can't help but be crap, too, and so you're finally free of all expectations... or maybe it's something else entirely!
Whatever the case may be, it's a joy <3