Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Going back and reading through your own comic...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Going back and reading through your own comic...
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Going back and reading through your own comic...", 13th Apr 2018, 4:16 PM #1
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Lately, I've been going through the older pages of my comic, which has been a good read/trip down memory lane in a way to see how far things have come.

I'm curious to know if other people do this with their own webcomics.

13th Apr 2018, 4:19 PM #2
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
It makes me wince, so only really when I need to check I'm not repeating myself, or leaving out vital information. Continuity stuff XD
13th Apr 2018, 4:22 PM #3
MST3KFan

JammyTheBirb:It makes me wince, so only really when I need to check I'm not repeating myself, or leaving out vital information. Continuity stuff XD

Oh, I check for continuity a lot myself. Don't want to repeat things I've already done comics on unless it's a different gag.

Also, sometimes I forget some aspects of my characters' histories readers will point out to me. Funny when the readers will know about your comic than YOU, the creator sometimes. LOL

13th Apr 2018, 4:25 PM #4
Mothtrap
mouth blood
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
I don't, too much bad art makes me have the urge to redraw everything. Again. So I avoid it! And I have everything planned enough that I rarely have to go back and check things.
13th Apr 2018, 4:25 PM #5
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
I just did this recently!

It's an interesting combination of nostalgia and criticism. I feel Like I'm progressing in the art department. I'm making a little progress in story telling and pacing, but I've lost a tiny bit of the humor and fun that I felt in earlier adventures. Like I've changed direction a bit. There's a lot of reevaluation going on I guess. Overall, I do enjoy going back and reading what I've created. And the comments that people have left along the way. There's a bit of a time capsule of people that have come and gone from the hallowed halls here at CF and wider webcomic community. There's a lot of "I wonder whatever happened to that person"
13th Apr 2018, 4:29 PM #6
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
@MST3KFan Funny you should say that. Sometimes people have made observations about the comic, or characters and thir motivations that make me think, "Dang, that actually makes me sound smart!" XD

That's so true.
13th Apr 2018, 4:31 PM #7
Rulerbrain
of measured intelligence
Registration date: 9th Jun 2015
Ughh, honestly I need to stop going back and looking at the older pages. My cursor's hovered over the delete button more times than I'd like to admit just cause of them
13th Apr 2018, 4:38 PM #8
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I have to because I don't want to have plot holes, but it does make me realise how I've come a long way as well as how many pages I was able to put out there.
13th Apr 2018, 4:40 PM #9
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Only if it's a comic that I'm still working on. Otherwise, I could never go back and read through. The cringe factor for old writing is a thing, and there's also... something else. Something like, "why am I going back to high school? I have enough on my plate as it is!"
13th Apr 2018, 4:49 PM #10
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
Certainly. Frequently. For a few reasons.

In no particular order, the continuity factor already mentioned. I enjoy seeing it - it's all been in my head for so long I still get a kick out of some of the scenes on actual pages. I want to make sure I'm not dropping anything (which could be the same as continuity, but I mean more so larger plot or storylines rather than details). To remember how I portrayed a particular effect or object or such. For the sense of accomplishment.

I don't have the hang up that many folks seem to about worse art. Maybe I haven't been doing it long enough [about 2 and 2/3 years now, counting the time creating pages before I uploaded] or maybe I'm just set in how I draw now -- I've been working in this style for decades now so there's little room for variance. I don't mean I can't improve, just that it's a kind of groove now.

I don't see how one can NOT read back through everything every so often. It's got to feel cohesive, no? I suppose if one had a very rigid & meticulous outline of how things will be to an end, sure, you could avoid it. But with an open-ended comic with inter-weaving storylines like mine, it's a necessity.
13th Apr 2018, 4:53 PM #11
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Once it gets old enough I can go "aww, look what baby me made." but looking at recent stuff makes me feel like shit. I look at it exactly as long as I need to for continuity, then get out.
13th Apr 2018, 5:37 PM #12
khkddn
death is imminent
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
I haven't looked at the 2015 pages of my comic in a long time. Some of them have minor fixes added but it still hurts to look at. One day I will take a good look back, and that'll be when I start redrawing pages.
13th Apr 2018, 6:15 PM #13
Mewbirb

Registration date: 8th Jan 2018
With the way I do colors, sometimes I have to look at old pages to make sure I'm keeping things reasonably consistent.

Also all the pages I'm currently working on uploading are old, so there's that too.
13th Apr 2018, 6:23 PM #14
joeyballast
decked out
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
I read through from time to time.

Sometimes I spy something I used to do artistically that I think looks pretty cool again (that I stopped doing for some weird reason)

But most of the time I just get this urge to redraw the whole goddamn thing (which would be a BAD idea at this point)
13th Apr 2018, 6:32 PM #15
nearmintmill
real doctor
Registration date: 18th Feb 2016
on occasion. either out of necessity because i'm working on prepping those pages for something or looking up reference. or boredom and just start reading.

its a good check point either way. see where you've come from, how far you've gone and progressed. to gauge if the story's gotten better etc.
13th Apr 2018, 6:37 PM #16
Mel Cormac
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
It took a while, but I think I've reached a point where I'm not ashamed to look at my old work anymore. I'm a bit embarrassed by some of the writing, but I'm far enough away from it to accept that I was a different person then, who hadn't been drawing for as long as I have, and who didn't know as much about writing, or life...

I actually really enjoy reading through my comic, not just to check continuity and stuff. Though, this is actually true of everything I write. Maybe I'm a narcissist, but I write stories I'd want to read in genres I love, so it makes sense I like reading my own stuff.

@keiiii I'd agree there. Once my current comic is over I'll probably reread it one last time and then shelve it and move on.

@joeyballast about looking back on old art stuff you stopped doing and reapplying them--I do that too! I also sometimes relearn things about my characters that I'd forgotten about, and that sometimes sparks new ideas going forward!
13th Apr 2018, 7:01 PM #17
MST3KFan

I see a lot of mentions of people saying if they looked back at their old stuff, they'd feel like they have to redo everything.

I can attest to having done that myself briefly as I attempted to at least color my older pages for a time as my first 170 or so pages were not colored, but that was a nightmare, and stopped at the first 10 pages.

I still enjoy reading my story arcs at least. Some of the jokes about then current stuff going on movie, video game, or toy wise isn't very prevalent today, but...eh.

13th Apr 2018, 7:04 PM #18
Xailenrath
✨✨✨
Registration date: 26th Sep 2014
I love looking back at my older pages. It cheers me up when I'm feeling down.
Remembering what was going through my mind when I made one of my dumb jokes and puns, or what or even whom I was thinking about when I designed a main character or background character.
Ideally, it's for continuity control, but I tend to get lost in the story, sometimes.
I may not be an especially good artist, but, I make comics that I enjoy. I hope others enjoy them, as well.

13th Apr 2018, 7:16 PM #19
Mel Cormac
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
^^ *thumbs up emoji*
13th Apr 2018, 8:02 PM #20
Microraptor
a small threat
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
I also do this occasionally. Sometimes for continuity, but sometimes also just or fun!