Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Starting a webcomic Phase 1

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Starting a webcomic Phase 1
Pages: [1]

"Starting a webcomic Phase 1", 17th Apr 2018, 5:01 AM #1
RisagiAto

Registration date: 17th Apr 2018
I am in phase one of a webcomic I want to do, I have drawn the characters and have them set away and I do have a pg partially drawn out but I keep getting ideas for the comic. I have so many questions I need to answer or to be answered,like page style and such and if I should start off black and white till I can color for another thing like printing.
Does anyone have the same feelings and want to talk about it maybe we can help each other or if anyone has advice/opinion I greatly appreciate it and welcome all.
thanks hope to read some comments and hopefully make friends
17th Apr 2018, 5:33 AM #2
Nama
🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍏
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
Hello, welcome to the site!

In my very limited and many failed experiences with making comics I can tell you two things to avoid

1. Don't keep throwing ideas into your story unless they actually have a purpose. It'll turn into a huge mess before you know it.

2. Page style should depend on the comic. Don't alter the comic to fit the panels and style, alter the panels and style to fit the comic.
Wiki - Notice Board - FAQ - Forum Rules
17th Apr 2018, 6:25 AM #3
Maxis-Geryon

Registration date: 26th Jul 2011
We can be friends!

But to answer on making a webcomic, you need to have a set story. What type of story does your webcomic have, what characters you want to include in it, and finally, is this the story you want to tell?

Because the one freedom webcomics have is that you can make it about anything. And there is no ceiling to stop you. Maybe the people who'd get offended but those are dime a dozen nowadays.

The other thing to consider is the technical stuff. Your art and your update schedule. Art is a very broad thing, so worry about something that appeals to you and making sure you meet that quality. (or not) And the update schedule is tricky as keeping a story on time can be a very difficult thing to do if you have plenty of irl obligations such as work, education and personal stuff.

So the important thing here is to make sure the day(s) you promise to update is something you can actually update. As I fell victim to promising stuff I cannot keep up.

Sort those two out and you're on your way to starting your own webcomic. Much luck to you.
18th Apr 2018, 5:59 PM #4
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
Like so many things in life, everyone does it different. As the great Antonio Stradivari once said, "There's more than one way to skin a cat".

The great thing about webcomics is that there is nothing wrong with jumping in and learning as you go. Watching artist grow and develop their craft and voice is part of the fun.
18th Apr 2018, 10:38 PM #5
taikina
a dark, yet alluring presence
Registration date: 6th Mar 2016
if you're starting a comic that's longer than 100 pages or even 50 pages, do some shorter ones first (or on the side). don't be afraid to take ideas out, narrow it down to some essential groove, message or feeling. but don't be afraid to try different ideas as you get them! you can always recycle old ideas and characters to new projects, so nothing is ever lost. also the ideas are not that great, everyone has ideas. learn to execute well.

stay away from time travel.
19th Apr 2018, 12:11 AM #6
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
id say to start look for feedback from any source as quick as you can! So try putting out like 10 or so pages and then get feedback on the impressions of your art, characters, and story hook, that can be really valuable
19th Apr 2018, 12:33 AM #7
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Post up pages and keep posting up pages and in a year or two let's talk about those other details.

Without demonstrated ability to grind out the work any discussion is pure hypotheticals.
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Starting a webcomic Phase 1
Pages: [1]