Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - How is viewership even possible

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > How is viewership even possible
Pages: [1] [2]

"How is viewership even possible", 15th May 2018, 2:22 AM #1
128mega

Registration date: 20th Feb 2018
Sometimes I look at my comic stats on slumberara and wonder why anyone would even bother looking at what I have to offer! I don't even mean this in a sad or pessimistic way; I'm legit curious about what my draw is. How do these people even have the time or stamina to look at other comics? How is that possible? I can't even stay on a comic for more than 10 pages without getting bored...unless it's good shit. Furthermore I often wonder how many of those views are just misclicks. These views can't be genuine!

Y all ever feel like that?
15th May 2018, 2:34 AM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
It takes an artist to support an artist. We MAKE time just as we want people to make time for us.
15th May 2018, 4:20 AM #3
sunseeker25

Registration date: 24th Apr 2018
128mega:Sometimes I look at my comic stats on slumberara and wonder why anyone would even bother looking at what I have to offer! I don't even mean this in a sad or pessimistic way; I'm legit curious about what my draw is. How do these people even have the time or stamina to look at other comics? How is that possible? I can't even stay on a comic for more than 10 pages without getting bored...unless it's good shit. Furthermore I often wonder how many of those views are just misclicks. These views can't be genuine!

Well, I just read your entire comic and I can say you have some pretty good writing, and your pacing is actually very good (story moves along). The alien speech thing is an interesting visual plot device, and you have a fair amount of suspense going on in relation to the main character and what that tentacle creature has in mind for them. I've also never seen a device wherein a character is using telekenesis and during that is having a mental vacation with its controller at the same time. Very interesting and curious.

So... from the perspective of someone who likes good writing, you have the goods. Also your facial expressions are pretty genuine, that's a huge bonus.

Do you think you could tell me what you think of my comic? I only have seven issues out, but your feedback would be appreciated. Link is in my sig, thanks.
15th May 2018, 4:23 AM #4
Maxis-Geryon

Registration date: 26th Jul 2011
Some people like what you got. After all, even Sonichu has its legitimate fans.
15th May 2018, 4:31 AM #5
kirstin

Registration date: 12th Mar 2018
Don't be so hard on yourself! Your comic is good, and I truly believe that every comic out there has an audience somewhere. You just gotta find it.

ComicFury is very skewed in terms of a creator/reader ratio, but obviously there are a lot of hungry comic fans outside of this platform. You just gotta draw them in. Try social media, Project Wonderful, etc! Readers are out there!!

Lastly, you can use google analytics to see how your users behave on your site. While many users click away, it's so freaking heartwarming to see when someone binges your entire archive, and it really helps reassure yourself that you're not just throwing pages out into the void.. o_o
15th May 2018, 5:10 AM #6
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Lots of silent readers come here. Sure you and I as creators don't have a lot of time for reading other people's work but all the time we spend creating is time other people are on here reading.
15th May 2018, 11:13 AM #7
128mega

sunseeker25:Well, I just read your entire comic and I can say you have some pretty good writing, and your pacing is actually very good (story moves along). The alien speech thing is an interesting visual plot device, and you have a fair amount of suspense going on in relation to the main character and what that tentacle creature has in mind for them. I've also never seen a device wherein a character is using telekenesis and during that is having a mental vacation with its controller at the same time. Very interesting and curious.

So... from the perspective of someone who likes good writing, you have the goods. Also your facial expressions are pretty genuine, that's a huge bonus.

Do you think you could tell me what you think of my comic? I only have seven issues out, but your feedback would be appreciated. Link is in my sig, thanks.

I took a good look at what you've got to offer, and it's pretty good so far, though I do have a few criticisms. If a criticism is what you want, I'll be more than happy to give you one. But I wanna make sure you're ok with it first. I don't wanna start pointing things out and having you get upset or anything, I know some people aren't too keen on criticism. So, is that what you're wanting?
15th May 2018, 11:37 AM #8
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
It looks like you started in February. Is that right? these things take time.
Matt Groening started his "Life is Hell" comics in like 1977. It was ten years before he did "the Simpsons" on the Tracey Ulman show.

You'll hear this a lot, but it's true. Making comics is a Marathon, not a sprint.
15th May 2018, 12:41 PM #9
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Travisss: Making comics is a Marathon,

Just to clarify, Big T is referring to the ancient battle.

And no, us creators are not the Greeks.

The ocean is at our backs...
15th May 2018, 1:10 PM #10
SharpyTheYellowKirby
got away with it
Registration date: 27th May 2014
I get about anywhere from 60-120 views a day and that's about 10 times the daily views I expected when I started.
15th May 2018, 1:29 PM #11
tim-in-a-box

Registration date: 28th Apr 2016
from what I can gather from my stats every 2weeks or so a person reads like all of my comics
it's possible that that's just the two people who actually have links to my comic and some are proably my own, but surely they aren't all the views and they are the only ones who even have the links so it's literally impossible that it could be someone else so who are these people?
WHO ARE THESE PEOLE?! D:
"How is viewership even possible", 15th May 2018, 3:48 PM #12
rickrudge

Registration date: 11th Jul 2017
Hi 128mega,

You’ve got a lot of subscribers (compared to my comics). You’ve got something going on. :-D To be a subscriber, you have to start up an account, so those are your fellow Comic Fury colleagues. Like you, I mostly do these comix for myself and am very thankful that there are people who actually want to view them. There are some things that you can do to attract more viewers. Simply posting hyperlinks on your favorite sites is a good idea and cheap advertising.

Best of luck.

—Rick Rudge
16th May 2018, 1:26 AM #13
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
You'll have to advertise your comic outside as well. Webtoons gives pretty good traffic.

Maybe scrap together some money to advertise your comic. At least drop $5-$20 on Project Wonderful, it could get you a decent traffic.

That's how some of the most popular comic gets well known. It's either they pay for advertising, continuous posting and advertising for many years or do both.

Give it at least 2-5 years of posting, if you are still unknown then you choose to either stop or continue.

My Webcomic:
16th May 2018, 2:42 AM #14
joeyballast
decked out
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
128mega:Furthermore I often wonder how many of those views are just misclicks. These views can't be genuine!

Yes.

I think for many creative people this feeling is normal.
16th May 2018, 10:19 AM #15
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
To be honest, unless you're sponsored by some larger network or pay for advertising, you're likely gonna get proportionally more views for a good piece of work here than you would for a good video on YouTube. I often wonder how it's even possible to get views on YouTube these days without some kind of sponsorship deal. At least smaller sites like here give all users an equal chance, as YouTube did when still newish.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
16th May 2018, 7:12 PM #16
Steven-Vincent

Registration date: 28th Apr 2015
Yes, there is a dreadful signal-to-noise ratio on the internet in general, and larger sites like YouTube are definitely the worst. Just search for any random thing and you will get 100s of hits (or more), and good luck trying to find anything of quality in all that mess.

The % of people doing quality work here is way higher than the % of people putting out quality videos on YouTube. So you are much more likely to find good stuff here, than there.
16th May 2018, 7:38 PM #17
sunseeker25

128mega:I took a good look at what you've got to offer, and it's pretty good so far, though I do have a few criticisms. If a criticism is what you want, I'll be more than happy to give you one. But I wanna make sure you're ok with it first. I don't wanna start pointing things out and having you get upset or anything, I know some people aren't too keen on criticism. So, is that what you're wanting?

Oh sure. Believe it or not, I've only been an artist for three years and I'm completely digital. There are a LOT of things that I want to work on and I'm going to get to those as soon as I can. Right now my priority is making sure I can get a new issue out every week, but I have a to do list all right. What do you want to add to it?
16th May 2018, 8:59 PM #18
128mega

All I really want to say is that the poses seem kind of stilted, and you could really use some shading. The lack of shadows makes things seem less detailed.
17th May 2018, 1:47 AM #19
sunseeker25

Yep and yep. I'm working on both. The poses will get more fluid over time; at the moment I am focusing on arms and faces as they drive expression - I'm still working on torso alterations and such. As to shading, I want to add basic shading, and once I get comfortable with what I am doing now I will be looking into that.
17th May 2018, 4:19 AM #20
fedoramoron
black market meme hookup
Registration date: 27th Mar 2015
just being truthful here, i think a significant number of the views that cf shows are from bots, idk how significant though