Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Does alt text count as part of the comic?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Does alt text count as part of the comic?
Pages: [1]

"Does alt text count as part of the comic?", 16th May 2018, 4:47 PM #1
loyaldog
Weasel's new best friend
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
Admittedly, Inner Dialogue’s a little weird in this regard. I don’t have alt text, but I usually have a few sentences at the bottom of each page that serve the same purpose. I mostly use that space to add a second punchline to the comic, and sometimes the “bottom text” joke ends up being funnier than the actual comic (in my opinion).

One time I abused that bottom space to tell everyone it was my birthday, but that was extremely necessary and important.

I’ve been on the fence about whether I can say those messages are an “official” part of the page. So, for those of you who have alt text or something like it: Does that count as part of your comic?
16th May 2018, 4:49 PM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
It sort of does. It lets people know which chapter and which page they are one. I don't like the clutter of a title on the page.
16th May 2018, 4:55 PM #3
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
When I was asking my fiance what made her read or not read she told me "I need jokes in the alt text", so I try and do one on every page, but I don't really consider it part of my comic.

I do have annotations that give extra worldbuilding. I've tried to make it more 'bonus material', but I think a lot of things make more sense if you read it.
16th May 2018, 5:41 PM #4
DeadpanSal

Registration date: 9th Jun 2016
The thing here is author intent. Alt text is definitely part of the comic for XKCD. My comic originated elsewhere, so having alt text on some pages is a bonus feature. Mostly I just give background information that's separate from the comic's intent. If your alt text is part of the story or part of the joke, and you want it to be, it's part of the comic. If it isn't, then you're having fun anyway.
16th May 2018, 5:45 PM #5
Microraptor
a small threat
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
I consider the alt text to be part of the comic. Especially for the pages where I knew what to write in the alt text right from the start!
16th May 2018, 6:26 PM #6
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
I would consider it part of the comic, because it's, well, part of the comic.

That said, I've never used them. Seems silly or gimmicky to me. That's not saying they ARE, just that I didn't see a use for them for my own comic. Not to mention having to THINK of one for every page. Heck, I sometimes struggle for a page title. I also find them a little distracting/irritating. Again, just an opinion. And if the comic is every made into a book form? Would they appear in small print at the bottom of the page?
16th May 2018, 7:00 PM #7
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
Normally, one would want your comic/story to make sense as a stand-alone without having to insert extra material to fill in the gaps. Like... I've heard it said "If you have to go back and explain your story for people to follow it, that's your mistake as the author" (not that the extra trivia isn't fun or helpful, but ideally, the story should still be clear and enjoyable without it)

If you put necessary information in your ALT text, I guess that's making it part of the story, because without it, your story is incomplete.

In any other case, I'd consider ALT text/author notes/ etc...just fun little bonus sprinkles on the cake, instead of part of the cake itself? In the end, though, I guess it does come down to author intent.

I can't really consider my ALT text part of my comic, because sometimes I put dumb jokes/commentary during a serious moment and I'd hate for that to be branded as part of the story...yeesh.
16th May 2018, 7:27 PM #8
stinger9

Registration date: 16th Aug 2016
Authors notes I'd say I tend to overdo a bit (understatement), but then I normally tend to read others too.
I'd say alt text is fine for little hidden jokes, and possibly page numbering, or other superfluous stuff, but anything important? No. If it's some important point to make put it somewhere clearly visible, page, authors notes, whatever. Otherwise the only way people are going to see it is if they check for it, or just happen to hover over the image long enough.
I have seen more than a few make good use of it for extra jokes though, but ultimately it's not all that necessary when there are better alternatives (except if it's something you want to keep semi-hidden!)