Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Do you think art styles vary at all here depending on the nationality of each member?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Do you think art styles vary at all here depending on the nationality of each member?
Pages: [1] [2]

"Do you think art styles vary at all here depending on the nationality of each member?", 16th May 2018, 7:19 PM #1
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
I know that until the internet came along it was often fairly easy to distinguish between European, American and Eastern/Japanese art styles, but I was wondering if location still plays a role in influencing people's art styles here? Personally I'd be inclined to say it doesn't much (perhaps it does in the case of Japan but I can't see much difference between the average art style of British/European members vs Americans here) but that's just my personal opinion.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
16th May 2018, 7:27 PM #2
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
I’m not aware of any currently active CF creators based in Japan.

To me, nationality is most prominent in how various creators slaughter the King’s English, not in their art “styles”.
16th May 2018, 7:36 PM #3
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I think background and what they read shows a lot more. Somebody learned to draw on Disney vs somebody who learned to draw on Naruto vs somebody who learned to draw on superman is often pretty evident.
16th May 2018, 7:43 PM #4
junoro
So much to do in one lifetime
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
Yeah, like swamp said, I learned how to draw on superheroes but then liked the pointy aesthetic of manga so much I adopted that as well. Now I've got a weird pointy anime-ish style where everyone has noses that are too big to be proper anime? Other Canadian artists I know pretty much follow the same route of liking a show or style and trying to copy it, rather than a specific cultural 'Canadian' art practice that contributes to our work.
16th May 2018, 8:04 PM #5
RJDG14

Yeah. I've been influenced a bit from my original style, a bit from some 90s Nickelodeon cartoons, a bit from people here, a bit from anime and so on, so I guess that's the same for most people.

Would you know where I was from just by looking at my style or not?

At the same time, look at an old issue of The Beano or something and the style looks (to me) quite evidently British:

Likewise, Tintin looked quite European, and old Disney cartoons looked quite American at the time...

16th May 2018, 8:15 PM #6
Adam-00

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2014
I grew up reading american, french and hungarian comics. Except the national stuff, it must've been the same for most european kids. The bigger difference was in cartoons: I saw a ton of czechslovak and soviet stuff (alongside the western cartoons). But I'm old, nowadays the globalization might mixed up things more, making it harder to distinguish authors.
16th May 2018, 8:15 PM #7
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Well, I think can affect their English, like one person said here, but as far as style goes, I think the way a person draws is a combination of influence and your own individuality. I was influenced by Disney, Looney Toons and Sailor Moon type anime, so I guess it's a combination of different things for me. Overall, I don't anything predetermines things.
16th May 2018, 8:31 PM #8
Microraptor
a small threat
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
I guess the "Europeaness" of my art shows itself insofar that I grew up mainly with (and thus was influenced by) Disney comics instead of superhero comics.
(Both of American origin, but the popularity amongst readers is sort of the other way round than it seems to be the case in the US - or at least it was so back in my childhood.)
16th May 2018, 8:31 PM #9
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Gonna be honest here, "artist profiling" makes me uncomfortable. It feels stereotypey and does disservice to what they bring to the table as an individual.

EDIT: But I can go with influence analysis/guessing, which some people in the thread have brought up!
16th May 2018, 8:51 PM #10
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Apparently the wavy, two connected eyes thing is originally french. I think it's still a very European thing to do that one, or tiny dots with no white.
16th May 2018, 9:03 PM #11
RJDG14

image ?

16th May 2018, 9:30 PM #12
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
My style? Pretty much a mix between Western and Eastern.

I kind of live somewhere in-between, Eastern Europe to be precise, so yuuup. :') Totally bombarded by styles from both sides of the world!!!
16th May 2018, 9:36 PM #13
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
RJDG14:Image ?

Yea. That effect. Sonic eyes, some tintin characters too.
16th May 2018, 10:06 PM #14
Leafa
was along for the ride
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
Like others have said, I think the only time artwork *might* be a giveaway of nationality is if they seem heavily influenced by something that is fairly regionally specific - like the Beano. But perhaps these days it's easier to tell which social networks someone has been hanging around in? I sometimes catch myself really wanting to do a "tumblr nose" ;D
16th May 2018, 10:53 PM #15
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Leafa:I sometimes catch myself really wanting to do a "tumblr nose" ;D

There is no shame in tumblr nose! Follow your heart!
17th May 2018, 12:57 AM #16
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
I didn't watch many cartoons when I was younger, tbh, I didn't watch many kids tv shows, the only cartoon I really watched was The Simpsons, so I guess my 'style' was inspired by that in part, I was too busy playing with lego to watch tv. When I was first drawing humans, I did base my style off the style used in the credits of Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, you can probably tell just by glancing at my comic that Cloudy was a massive influence.

17th May 2018, 2:03 AM #17
Kelsey -Nutty- P.

Registration date: 5th Oct 2017
I personally agree with the notion that art styles are influenced by the styles in whatever media an artist consumes, not where they're from. Honestly, an assumption like that leaves me a bit wary, as it can lead to some unfortunate assumptions.
17th May 2018, 5:44 AM #18
Lee Lines

Registration date: 14th Jun 2016
I think style is based more than anything, by what one grew up with. I'm 56, and I grew up with Silver and Bronze Age comics. (And I think it shows!)
17th May 2018, 6:59 AM #19
...(RockB)

Registration date: 7th Jul 2016
Once I noticed a certain similarity in the style of two polish artists, so I asked one of the artists whether there is a certain art school in Poland that could promote this certain thing. He said no. Maybe it was just chance, but it looked like a strange coincidence.

Edit:
RJDG14:Would you know where I was from just by looking at my style or not?

I would not.

But now that you pointed it out, I see what you mean. One probably needs to know it beforehand, to know what to look for. And it would be pretty easy to get misled, an artist could very consciously "copy" a style (or general "expression"), maybe to achieve a certain effect.

In general, pretty much what Lee Lines said.
17th May 2018, 10:04 AM #20
RJDG14

The Letter M:Yea. That effect. Sonic eyes, some tintin characters too.

Most Tintin characters have the small dotty eyes, I think. But these conjoined eyes have gone out of fashion in the last 20 years - as somebody (possibly you) noted here before, they tend to look terrible. Sonic is probably one of the few characters that actually makes good use of them, and even then Tails looks slightly better because he doesn't have them.

Merged Doublepost:

Lee Lines:I think style is based more than anything, by what one grew up with. I'm 56, and I grew up with Silver and Bronze Age comics. (And I think it shows!)

I'd most likely guess you were American, since, as you pointed out, your style looks as if it was influenced by Marvel/DC comics from the 1970s/80s (aka the Bronze age).

Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Do you think art styles vary at all here depending on the nationality of each member?
Pages: [1] [2]