Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Guess the Influences

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Guess the Influences
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

"Guess the Influences", 16th May 2018, 7:48 PM #1
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Just what it says. Guess the art influences of the user directly above you (or multiple users above you). Can be fairly broad or specific comics/shows/artists.

To keep things flowing and let people chat
-Please have a comic and a link in your signature
-Feel free to discuss people's guesses and your style, but put -skip- at the top so you don't hog guesses
-Guess as many people as you want, but make sure to get the person above so everyone gets a go
-No using this as an excuse to mock people's styles or put down their work. No talk about how you don't like CG or anime or whatever, no making unflattering comparisons on purpose.
-Feel free to guess more than once! As long as you haven't spoiled your influences and aren't spamming, it's fine to get guessed again, but otherwise give a -skip- and let somebody else get multiple guesses..
16th May 2018, 10:29 PM #2
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
Yours is really tricky to pinpoint (which is pretty cool)

Does "real life" count as an influence? As in... trying to draw based off of observing real life, rather than imitating someone else's art styles? Because I"m going to guess that you've done a lot of that with the realistic look you gave your anatomy and hair and the fine facial details.

If I had to guess from another media... Avatar the Last Airbender comes to mind. The roundness of the faces and the expressions are somewhat reminiscent of that cartoon, and the vibe of your story overall, how it portrays a realistic world with its own down-to-Earth magic system.

As a light note; I'd like to give artists the benefit of a doubt regarding influences. Can two styles that look really similar have no connection to eachother, and the two artists just individually came to those styles by experimentation? I certainly believe so, which means any similarity I see to AtLA may be coincidental. :'D
16th May 2018, 10:49 PM #3
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
-skip me-

I watched AtLA, but I would get guess our overlap is more... converging lines.

I do a lot of drawing from life now, and I never went through a 'copy my favs' phase, but my early art was really bad imitations of 90's anime. (Like... the bad white kid kind where I didn't know what the shapes were there, just that I had some "How to Draw Manga Books", a can do attitude, and a desire to draw like Matsuri Akino). My art teacher was really harsh on anime art, so I tried really hard to do realism for years and did lots of portrait study, but have now had to struggle to get away from realism. I imagine the Avatar overlap is a similar combination of people raised on anime and manga who also did some classical western study.

To me your style feels like a... webcomic style? (I think of webcomic style as having some anime influences, some disney influences, and bright, bold colors. It is def not an insult, and doesn't mean I think it's samey. I think your art is very clean and appealing.) My best guess would be you drew lots of disney as a tiny, got super into some shonen anime, and, based on hairstyle, were/are a CLAMP fan? I'm also guessing you read a lot of other webcomics, maybe Paranatural and, on a riskier guess, maybe sleepless domain. Also that you've maybe studied animation a bit.
17th May 2018, 2:35 AM #4
NiaNook
-skippers-

I don't doubt any similarity with AtLA was only converging lines. When you have an entire generation being raised on a mix of western and eastern cartoons, you're going to end up with all kinds of variations between the two. It's so fascinating! And it's starting to become more apparent in newer cartoons. I wouldn't get the "classic 90's anime" from looking at your art, but there's definitely at least some optimistic exaggeration in the facial expressions that sets it apart from full-on-realism or...say..superhero comics.

Oh wow, there's a lot of truth in there. I didn't draw Disney as a kid, but it was a big part of my childhood. CLAMP is an interesting one, because I never necessarily liked 'em much, but I admired their long, flowing linework, so who knows if that was a direct influence or not...

Would you believe that despite this involvement with webcomics, I never read a lot of webcomics, before? I recently looked at some and was surprised at the similarity in artwork, but perhaps that can be chopped up to that "growing up on similar media" thing. (The ones you mentioned don't sound familiar)

From the start, I'd try to draw from real-life or western cartoons, but it wasn't easy to tell, because...well... tiny-kiddy-art. Once there was a particular shonen anime I got into, I fell in love with the manga-style and took a lot of elements from it, but tried to also mix it with real life, so I'd try to change the pointy noses to look more realistic and make the eyes less vertical and all that. There was a lot of time spent in front of the mirror trying to make poses to figure out how to draw realistic figures. Along with studying the human face and wondering how to portray it in a way that appealed to me, but it always came back to just looking like "anime", haha. I'd recently just started embracing the "cartoonishness" and having fun with the simpler noses, bigger eyes, wonky proportions, etc... =u=;

Also, I'm SUPER curious about how you got studying animation! It's been a hobby I was dabbling with and am impressed you were able to catch that! Share your wisdom! Sorry for being long-winded. this is so intriguing
17th May 2018, 2:59 AM #5
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Hmm, NiaNook, I'm going to guess that Rumiko Takahashi's style influenced your work especially eyes and hair. I say this because the way those features are look similar to hers especially when comparing them to Inu Yasha and Randma 1/2. And then there is the detail to sideburns or hair locks in front of the ears.
17th May 2018, 3:04 AM #6
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
@NiaNook your style kinda reminds me of the CN Teen Titans cartoon? also kinda get Canepa Barbucci vibes from the eyes/noses/mouths. that's probably super off the mark, but honestly, this is a difficult prompt :'D

@swamp your style is like semi-cartoonish meets impressionism and it's really neat. i wanna know how you developed your coloring style.

@MKWizard cartoons from the 30's/40's/50's???
17th May 2018, 3:10 AM #7
MK_Wizard

@MKWizard cartoons from the 30's/40's/50's???[/quote]

There is definitely a connection to the cartoons of those decades. However, there are some modern connections too.
17th May 2018, 3:21 AM #8
harajuku_Smittle_
ride 'til I die shitposter
Registration date: 3rd Mar 2016
You know im not being specific but it really has this 90's cartoon kinda feel to it. the thick lines ae more 2000's and the colouring has an artsy touch to it
17th May 2018, 3:25 AM #9
MK_Wizard

Ha ha! I guess you can say my art is a cocktail of many styles. You see, I learned my art by "ear" so it has elements from all the cartoons I used to watch or read.
17th May 2018, 3:52 AM #10
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
@harajuku_Smittle_

You comic feels like a mixture of abstract style with anime and some western cartoon influences.

My Webcomic:
17th May 2018, 3:57 AM #11
Taily
Environment Knight
Registration date: 9th Mar 2010
Kelty - I think we've discussed this before, but your style (especially your older stuff) and specifically James's character remind me of Unknown-person's work - Castle of Nations and Endzone and all that. But it's really morphed over the years into your own unique style, so I don't know how true that comparison rings anymore! This is hard!!

edit: also I guess I should link to a page of my own comic that was actually drawn by me, since I've had a guest artist for months
17th May 2018, 4:01 AM #12
NiaNook
-skip me plz-

@MK Wizard: Actually, I also got the "old cartoon" vibe from your comic. Like Hanna-Barbera, but less bulby and more... let's say Disney-esc?

Hmm, NiaNook, I'm going to guess that Rumiko Takahashi's style influenced your work especially eyes and hair.

Ohmygosh you guessed it!!! Inuyasha was mah boyyyy
@Keltyzoid!: This is a stretch and probably way off, but here's my theory; You were heavily influenced by a darker, mature type of anime, and afterwords connected with a more light-hearted western cartoon. I can't think of it, but something about the eyes and noses you draw just look...so familiar! I want to guess that 6Teen cartoon from years ago, but...I find that hard to believe, quite frankly. Guess it's the tall, lanky proportions and the colors that make me remember that old show even existed. (Edit: On reflection, the art isn't even that similar at all. Why did this even come to mind? I hope that's not taken as an insult. Your work has much more character, haha)

NiaNook your style kinda reminds me of the CN Teen Titans cartoon? also kinda get Canepa Barbucci vibes from the eyes/noses/mouths. that's probably super off the mark, but honestly, this is a difficult prompt :'D

Not quite, but I can definitely see where you got that impression!

@harajuku_Smittle_ I'm guessing this started off with a lot of cute sparkly shoujo and magical girl stuff and took a very dark turn. Mwahahaha

@SinisterRabbit I'd want to guess...something in the same ballpark as Death Note (not quite that, exactly, but a similar genre. I'm not too familiar with a lot of titles) Is there a hint of Superhero comics interwoven in there, too?

I'll shut up now
17th May 2018, 4:18 AM #13
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
SKIP MEEEE

Taily:Kelty - I think we've discussed this before, but your style (especially your older stuff) and specifically James's character remind me of Unknown-person's work - Castle of Nations and Endzone and all that. But it's really morphed over the years into your own unique style, so I don't know how true that comparison rings anymore! This is hard!!

i'll never be on his level but he is my idol forever and always

NiaNook:@Keltyzoid!: This is a stretch and probably way off, but here's my theory; You were heavily influenced by a darker, mature type of anime, and afterwords connected with a more light-hearted western cartoon.

this actually isn't that far off!
17th May 2018, 5:36 AM #14
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
-skorp-

Kelty - I feel like you read some old ass fantasy webcomics. Also maybe you were a Sarah Ellerton fan? Also some of the indie american fantasy comics, and some 90's anime. Trigun? Cowboy Bebop? Your style makes me super nostalgic in a good way.
My coloring style is... being bad at coloring and trying lots of things. I did the "yellow overlay, blue overlay" thing for a bit, but now I use color things more on light tones. The absolute biggest help to me was James Gurney's (dinotopia dude) book on light and color.

Taily - Such a soft, round smile. It feels like the kind that's popular in some online communities, but it also makes me think of video games, especially, like, animal crossing? Earthbound maybe? Also possibly a secret Homestuck past.

Harajuku - I get major 'read a lot of super messed up shoujou'. My guess would be some of the old 70's stuff and then... some kinda obscure now shit? Nana? Peach Girl? Kaori Yuki? I think it's the fine lines. They have such an ethereal feel.

NiaNook - It's how clean and complete your lines are that made me think animation. There's less implied shape, and there's a lot of movement in your clothes and hair.
17th May 2018, 5:47 AM #15
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
Skip

@Nianook - Now when you mention Death Note, my style does resemble it a little. Maybe it's because of the eyes. Eventhough I never actually watch or read Death Note.
Superhero? I guess the story does feel like I'm telling an origin story of how the character gets superpowers.

As for your comic, it reminds me a bit of Steven Universe art style except with less cartoony proportions and some shoujo art style influences.

My Webcomic:
17th May 2018, 5:47 AM #16
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
@MK_Wizard

I have been always thinking that your style has something old in it. I can't pinpoint it well enough, but mostly reminds me some games of 80s. Probably comics of that period and decade earlier too. My memory is bit hazy about subject...
18th May 2018, 12:19 AM #17
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
@Juicygrey

The screentones immediately suggest a lot of manga influence, and there is something about how the faces are drawn that brings this to mind too, but there are also differences in some areas that make me think of perhaps older western comics, especially in the more recent pages. In some places, the shading on scenery and things like that remind me of Berserk. Although your style itself doesn't resemble Berserk at all. I'm kicking myself right now, because there are bits of your artstyle, like the hair and blocks of black, that definitely remind me of things I've seen, but I'm just not very familiar with Manga styles.

Hmm. I wish I could do a better job here. If I think of more to say, I'll definitely add it.

Edit: Oh and if anyone does me, Silk and Sword is not in my artstyle.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
18th May 2018, 1:27 AM #18
Taily
Environment Knight
Registration date: 9th Mar 2010
(skip)

swamp:Taily - Such a soft, round smile. It feels like the kind that's popular in some online communities, but it also makes me think of video games, especially, like, animal crossing? Earthbound maybe? Also possibly a secret Homestuck past.

WHAAAAT HAHA THIS IS ACTUALLY TRUE
It's weird though because although I used to read Homestuck a lot as a teen, I never really... loved it? Like all my friends were into it, so I was trying to also be into it, and I finally gave up after high school ended and I no longer had to pretend.
The idea that it left a lasting impression on my own comic's style is S U R R E A L
18th May 2018, 2:24 AM #19
Kei Esteban

Registration date: 11th Feb 2018
@JammyTheBirb

I think theirs bit of an 90's Anime influence with the characters faces are shaped.
Don't really see longer Chins on Anime People anymore.

But there seems to bee a bit of a Western influence as well.
Like the way you use Hatching to Shade things in.
18th May 2018, 2:29 AM #20
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
@Kei Esteban

Well. Uh... I'd say you were inspired by anime perhaps?

I don't know much about the different eras, but given the eyes and the number of cats... 90's-00's anime in particular?