Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Political satire ideas

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Co-Authors offered/wanted > Political satire ideas
Pages: [1] [2]

"Political satire ideas", 7th Jun 2018, 2:33 PM #1
Fafhred

Registration date: 6th Aug 2015
I have detailed ideas for 2 political satire pictures (current events), but I lack the relevant drawing skills (my drawing skills are only in technical drawing).

My first idea is to post them in a new dedicated webcomic, under the initial form of a script with legends (some of which are bilingual English/French), each page being replaced later with a matching picture if/when someone feels like making the matching picture for either.
If this works out I will probably have more later, but it will never be on regular basis, nor a story as such.

I am unsure of a few things:
- If anyone here would be interested at all in drawing those type of pictures.
- If it would be acceptable on CF.

I am placing this thread in this category to feel the waters on the first point, and I would also need some feedback from Kyo on this.
7th Jun 2018, 4:42 PM #2
Dodom
iiIIEEEHHEEEIIMM eeeeaaauuu hhYYYAaaaa
Registration date: 6th Sep 2009
Your politics would need to be rather extreme not to be acceptable for CF, you can feel safe enough about that point.

I suggest disclosing a little more about your politics. Political cartoons are by nature promoting an agenda, it's not a flaw, it's just what they do, so it's fair for artists to judge whether that's an agenda they want to help promote. I think you'll find volunteers more easily if you're up front with that.
7th Jun 2018, 5:17 PM #3
Jessie Blue

Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
Actually if our politics match I might be interested in that. My main comic (that I haven't had time to work on unfortunately) is a mix of random weirdness and political cartoons, but I have been having strong thoughts about removing the political cartoons and doing them in a separate comic that is solely political cartoons and keeping the weird one to only just my weird ideas and thoughts (thinking sort of like Far Side or Bizarro).
I'm an American living in Canada, I'm queer and super liberal. I'm also old and stuff so I have been following politics for awhile, and my spouse has a history degree so I can always ask them what the historical significance is of anything happening.
7th Jun 2018, 5:50 PM #4
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Fafhred:- If it would be acceptable on CF

Let me know when you find out. :)
7th Jun 2018, 9:03 PM #5
Fafhred

Ok, so given this feedback, it can be better if I post my first 2 scripts here, and see where it goes from there.

- Script 1:
Picture of a swamp.
A crocodile (with signature hairdo, caricatured) sits at a desk placed in the swamp.
Not far from it, the side of a dumpster is visible.

On the desk, 2 mail trays (inbox and outbox or similar); the outbox is labelled 'toadies pardons', therefore the desk must be large enough in the picture for that to be readable.
The crocodile is seen moving a signed form in the outbox.

There is the top of a justice statue emerging from the dumpster (possibly with a gag).

On the top left or right corner of the picture, there is a blason, with 3 main parts:
- a top banner with the name: Justin Grocon
- a bottom curved banner with the legend: La Loi, c'est Moi (Edit: NOT a quote from Judge Dredd movie, but a reference to 'L'état, c'est Moi')
- the main central part showing an upper hand and a lower hand, with a bag of coins between them.

The crocodile says:
"I am going to drain the swamps; only the others, mind you, mine must be protected."

Optionally, but that may be too much, a storm brewing on the horizon.

- Script 2:
Picture of an ocean.
A boat is visible, and an Iceberg not far from it.
The boat is turning towards the iceberg, with the captain heard shouting 'Hard to port !' (therefore the iceberg is still on the left side relative to the ship's course - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard)
The boat is turning towards the iceberg, with the captain heard shouting 'Hard to starboard !' (therefore the iceberg is still on the right side relative to the ship's course - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_and_starboard)
An insert on the bottom left or right (whichever fits best) shows the top of the crew roster:
- Captain: L. D. May
- Pilot: D. Davis
- First mate: (imaginary name, actual name used is not important), DUP
The name of the ship is clearly visible: the HMS Britanic
7th Jun 2018, 9:07 PM #6
keltyzoid!
Unless something better's on TV!
Registration date: 13th Feb 2015
do you take constructive criticism?
7th Jun 2018, 9:13 PM #7
Fafhred

Absolutely, but wait a few minutes, I am still editing a few details.
Please keep in mind that some is intentionally not meant to be understood by everyone on first reading; if people can think for themselves, they will figure the references.

Update: OK, I finished editing.

Dodom:Your politics would need to be rather extreme not to be acceptable for CF, you can feel safe enough about that point.

I suggest disclosing a little more about your politics. Political cartoons are by nature promoting an agenda, it's not a flaw, it's just what they do, so it's fair for artists to judge whether that's an agenda they want to help promote. I think you'll find volunteers more easily if you're up front with that.

Essentially, I loath liars; the bigger the lies, the stronger the feeling...
And I forgot to mention that I had that idea for the first script before his lawyer stated that he 'could pardon himself' (www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44348991)

Jessie Blue:Actually if our politics match I might be interested in that. My main comic (that I haven't had time to work on unfortunately) is a mix of random weirdness and political cartoons, but I have been having strong thoughts about removing the political cartoons and doing them in a separate comic that is solely political cartoons and keeping the weird one to only just my weird ideas and thoughts (thinking sort of like Far Side or Bizarro).
I'm an American living in Canada, I'm queer and super liberal. I'm also old and stuff so I have been following politics for awhile, and my spouse has a history degree so I can always ask them what the historical significance is of anything happening.

If your spouse happen to be French Canadian, I suspect that he/she will enjoy the fine points of the first script; the history background will definitely help.
8th Jun 2018, 1:24 AM #8
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
8th Jun 2018, 2:01 AM #9
Ambrose_Folly

Registration date: 12th Dec 2015
Chippewa Ghost:

8th Jun 2018, 2:23 AM #10
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Ambrose! Where you been man?

I always did take you as an "Old Testament" kinda guy... never pictured commie Jewish carpenters as being your type.
8th Jun 2018, 2:54 AM #11
Ambrose_Folly

Chippewa Ghost:Ambrose! Where you been man?

I always did take you as an "Old Testament" kinda guy... never pictured commie Jewish carpenters as being your type.

Pop diagnosed with Parkinson's, so I've been spending some time helping with yardwork n stuff until medication kicks in (diagnosed early enough so its treatable).

Old testament and new testament have the same messages, really. Remember Jesus said to help the poor, not give them money. He also wrecked a temple cause folks weren't making the proper sacrifices (a dramatic reenactment of a metaphysical concept).

Apparently I've also been having theology lessons. That's what I get for having a job were I pretty much meditate all day. Might start making some political art.
8th Jun 2018, 3:03 AM #12
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
I appreciate the deescalatory response.

Though being the furthest thing from Christian, I also appreciate that Jesus said to help the poor, vice actively deteriorating their condition. And "help the poor" is not the descriptor that springs to mind when describing the actions of the American party in power towards those of lesser means. I'd be glad to hear a counterargument.

@OP sorry for jackin' your thread. These things happen, yo.
8th Jun 2018, 3:55 AM #13
Ambrose_Folly

Depends on your definition of help. That which is given freely is rarely as valuable as that earned. Ben franklin suggested making poverty unbearable to force folks out of it. So to help the poor one must provide opportunities to earn: protection of domestic unskilled labor "blue collar" jobs being the easiest, the second being job training for more sophisticated jobs.

Nobody is perfect, but to find evil simply look for those treating people not as individuals but as objects or numbers to be manipulated to fulfil their idea of perfection.

@OP hope I gave ya some stuff to think about.
8th Jun 2018, 4:42 AM #14
Fafhred

Who you both mind take your private discussion elsewhere, instead of derailing my topic?
This is NOT a theological thread.

Some day I will make a different post which will boggle your mind, on that one you will be free to go all the way out if you will, but this thread has nothing to do with religion or your personal political leanings.
8th Jun 2018, 6:48 AM #15
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
As you can see, political topics have their pros and cons on this website in the forums.
Americans respond differently to political cartoons (especially in a religious sense, although our state and religion are supposed to be separate, most of our conservative and right-leaning politicians will use Christian values and propaganda, so in many cases theology goes hand-in-hand with American political affairs), and may have charged responses that can become nonsensical.

I would also like to warn you that, with an American audience (I'm assuming that would be your target audience because most of CF's user base is American and that the first cartoon described sounds like a parody of Trump's "drain the swamp", but with obvious French political elements pointing towards le dauphine's "god-given" right to be king, and have full power over the law and state [and the corruption it can bring]), we tend to not have a great ability of separating the work from the person/persons who created it.

An issue you may come across is either making people ridiculously angry over a cartoon, creating a political echo-chamber, or being ignored altogether.
However, I am interested in seeing a French interpretation of American political going-ons, mixed with French political history and jokes.
8th Jun 2018, 7:23 AM #16
Fafhred

I do not specifically have an american target, my second script is related to Brexit and I have a number of ideas covering various countries.
However it is true that I have several ideas concerning the USA, which have a HUGE number of discrepancies between words, deeds, and horrible ethics while pretending to be righteous; I also abhor hypocrisy, so I plan to poke on those as well.

Confusing ethics, morals, or lack of them, with religious posturing seem to be a specific attitude to the USA.
I am very capable to start topics on those as well, entirely separated from satirical pictures or shorts, but I will not mix entirely different topics under the same thread.
8th Jun 2018, 7:59 AM #17
gr8SSJ7gamr

Registration date: 29th Jun 2017
You're more likely to receive art here if you first give it.

have a nice day
8th Jun 2018, 8:06 AM #18
Fafhred

I do not understand what you mean; did you actually read my original post?
8th Jun 2018, 10:46 AM #19
Ambrose_Folly

Fafhred:I do not understand what you mean; did you actually read my original post?

"You're more likely to receive art here if you first give it."

Make some comics before asking for an artist.

Theology is quite relevant to politics: it is the foundation of western moral principles (believe it or not). I have demonstrated how it is possible to interpret things differently. When you're looking at anything (even politics) consider that there are two sides to every story. That's how you appear to be balanced and objective instead of ideologically possessed.

Unless that is your thing, in which case fire away!
8th Jun 2018, 11:09 AM #20
gr8SSJ7gamr

Registration date: 29th Jun 2017
Ambrose_Folly:"You're more likely to receive art here if you first give it."

Make some comics before asking for an artist.

Well, I mean fanart.

You don't have to. it just increases the chances people will want to draw for you in return. based on what ive seen.

have a nice day
Forum > Co-Authors offered/wanted > Political satire ideas
Pages: [1] [2]