Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Webcomics That Fizzle...

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Webcomics That Fizzle...
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

"Webcomics That Fizzle...", 6 days ago, 8:07 PM #1
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
There are too SO many webcomics that I've subscribed to since I got here in January 2016 that just...died. One or three of them I do know have gone on to other sites and not continued to update here. But otherwise - it's a pity. So much potential for story & art "down the drain".

I guess it proves that it's not as easy as it might seem from the outside.

I have too much fun making mine (and want to GET to certain bits I've planned since conception) to stop for any reason that isn't otherwise unavoidable.

So, just wanted to say "Well done!" to all of you/us who persevere and continue on with this dream.
6 days ago, 8:11 PM #2
SMAComix

Registration date: 6th Jan 2017
Cheers!
6 days ago, 8:15 PM #3
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
Well, I have been around since 2015... But what's nothing yet. Nope, not until final page is uploaded successfully...
6 days ago, 8:23 PM #4
PeterVonBrown

That's the thing. With most of them the creator hasn't been seen in "forever" either. And I don't even have a 'final page' ;) Mine is on-going...
6 days ago, 8:23 PM #5
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
When I see a new webcomic, I always assume that it's a flash in the pan. Even more so when I can tell that the author is young, and much more so when the art is exceptional. Ninety nine percent of them won't go the distance, not over the years. Webcomics are hard work, with labor measured in the thousands of hours. Most people aren't capable of that level of sustained exertion, not without significant external pressure.

So for those of you still living the dream, you are truly rare and awesome.

post up
6 days ago, 8:26 PM #6
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I've seen it happen all too often too. I think it happens usually to writers with no script or who try to do gag-a-day comics without thinking things through. You always need a script and more importantly, commitment.
6 days ago, 8:37 PM #7
Text
You should see my other booty
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
every webcomic i've ever started here has fizzled. one of the major reasons is that many of them took off fairly well after starting—consequently, i felt the pressure, and became worried my continuation wouldn't live up to the strong start.

that's how it was at the start, anyway. after a few more false starts, i realized that i didn't actually have any planning. extensive, exhaustive worldbuilding, but no planning, and characters barely even sufficiently developed. i would get so caught up in building a world i'd forget to develop the characters who would populate it.

this is... very bad. if you're like me, your writing is character-driven. it relies on its characters to drive and direct the plot in nearly all respects. rich worldbuilding works fantastically for this, as your characters have a vast environment to interact with and think about, but it only works as well as your characters do.

right now i'm pretty determined to make sure my next project doesn't fizzle out. the worldbuilding is extensive, but more structurally than in detailed, sorting the broad strokes and hard rules of the world in favor of focusing detail development on characters. i'm designing the style as an art style that wouldn't be a strain to animate, as though i'm not going to be drawing these characters twenty times for a single second, i'm sure gonna be drawing them a lot.

i'm not, like, am expert, or an authority. i just think that maybe if we who have had trouble starting can share our thinking we can prepare ourselves better—and perhaps those with their nose already to the grind can talk about their own experiences and how it's going for them.
6 days ago, 8:39 PM #8
Catburger

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2017
I have actually done this before...

I deleted my old one. I thought I was ready for the effort, until I realised how terrible it was, which sucked out my enthusiasm for it. I hope I can do better this time.

Make sure you can maintain the consistent quality of your work over time - using a slightly simpler art style than your best can help you deal with this.
R.I.P. unfinished comics. Good topic btw.

Who's a good boy? Not you, you whiny little shit.
6 days ago, 8:41 PM #9
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
for me its more like a sick neurotic obsession but if it looks like long term commitment im happy xD
6 days ago, 8:52 PM #10
Red Jack

Registration date: 1st Mar 2017
Well, I remember when I first joined Comic Fury, reading about how many comics never meet their finish.
While reading the thread discussions, I thought to myself that I wont be one of them who just leaves.
However, now I know that my comic making hobby might have to be more of a winter season thing.

Basically, I'm a gardener. So, I'm working from 6am til 5pm through most of the summer, mowing, strimming, hedge cutting, power hosing, slab laying, etc etc etc.

I wont give up. I'm also glad I'm going under the radar since I only want eyes on my work when I've made a sizeable portion of material.

Not making the topic about me. My main point is, maybe some of these webcomics that fizzle out are not completely finished since the creators could be on a temporary hiatus in a similar fashion.

I wish I had more hours in the day, just to rev up the energy to draw more.
6 days ago, 8:56 PM #11
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
@PeterVonBrown

Series without (defined) endpoint would be interesting challenge...

@Text

Yeah, strong starts might be problematic. One reason why planning ahead is good tactic. You can always plan points which are better than or equal to start. Those might drives you keep going just so that you can reach those points.

However don't except everything be top class storytelling. You might even encounter low points, but you just need proceed past them.

So I believe, to continue is desire to reach those top points. You want do them, but first you need take journey to reach them.

And definy desire to upload final page of story. Even if you need become maneating undead in the process...
6 days ago, 9:01 PM #12
tim-in-a-box

Registration date: 28th Apr 2016
and yet on the other hand, I know I /should/ quit making comics but I don't wanna quit O_O
6 days ago, 9:04 PM #13
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
Don't give up, people! :D

Sadly, I saw that happen too. I find a cool comic with an intriguing premise, follow it... and it dies after some months. It was clear they had a lot of potential, but the author is probably bored of it (which probably means it was started on a whim), too young or too old (hey, old people can be very busy), stuck because they realized they didn't really plan anything, too busy irl, who knows.

Another possible reason: sometimes I think people want immediate feedback and if they don't get it, they'll stop bothering with a comic... despite having barely started the story, which is probably why people didn't comment yet. Not to mention, it's impossible to get noticed by a ton of people at the beginning. sigh...

My comic is actually scans of old stuff (as you probably know by now, since I say it every time I mention it XD) so I don't really deserve this "Well done!", since I only have a huge buffer to clean up and post. Or do I? After all, I'm surprised I kept doing it for so many years, even if only with paper and pencils. I'm planning to start an actual "new" comic in the near future, though, and I won't give up until it's done. As long as I got stuff to post, all my comics will go on. Now if only the authors I followed had even a quarter of my determination...
6 days ago, 9:06 PM #14
PeterVonBrown

JuicyGrey:@PeterVonBrown

Series without (defined) endpoint would be interesting challenge...

Well, funnily enough it didn't occur to me to have an endpoint when I began. Actually, it seemed rather liberating because of the novels I've written which obviously do have endpoints. It seemed refreshing to not have to worry about anything like an end. That, and the concept didn't lend it self to being 'finished'. It's a town of werewolves, and had been thought of as a bunch of different characters each having their own little stories with overlap among them. So... by nature it didn't warrant an end (to individual story arcs, sure) but an END, no. And by nuture it felt great to not have to care about a conclusion and to be able to spend lots of time with the various 'wolves. So... if that's a "challenge" then I guess started off up for it. Otherwise I don't see it as a challenge. Quite the opposite after making books. Of course, having to also DRAW it is its own challenge. ;)

Also, I have no trouble "planning ahead". Heck, as I had said, I've not even arrived at all of the material I began with, and more just keeps generating itself when I think about the characters/town. Thank heavens.
6 days ago, 9:31 PM #15
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
@tim-in-a-box

You are so doomed...

@Matt Comics

Into which category goes starting four years after getting idea? Because I am bit of afraid been starting too late. On other hand, brush pencil come to local shop around 2017 and... I like working with them. Maybe I began too early?

And, yeah, expecting get instant success is bad. Not everybody can pull out such things. Rest of us needs work and work, until success slowly builds up.

Which leads to reversal situation. Becoming successful too fast and getting scared out of it.

... I am fine being turtle...
6 days ago, 11:20 PM #16
BeautifulRoses

Registration date: 25th Feb 2018
PeterVonBrown:That's the thing. With most of them the creator hasn't been seen in "forever" either. And I don't even have a 'final page' ;) Mine is on-going...

No final page? That's just inconsiderate yo.

I always thought of free webcomics as a transitionary artform. Transitioning toward traditional publishing, or Patreon, or Self Publishing, or whatever.
6 days ago, 11:40 PM #17
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
My whole thing is to give up. I've had one good long-term comic, and the rest have fizzled out pretty quickly. And it ain't looking grand for my current ones, either.
6 days ago, 11:45 PM #18
Wartooth

Registration date: 23rd Mar 2017
Too right. Making a comic is hard. Like, REALLY hard. I have lost steam on my comic a few times, but I get back to it. It is very difficult to spend hours and hours and hours every week to get very little attention. While I can understand why the fizzle happens, it's probably harder for me personally to drop my comic all together. There is a reason I am making mine - to share. To not share my comic and characters is a bigger loss than the time gained by not working on the comic.
5 days ago, 12:10 AM #19
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
More planning may be the answer. Some people can just make it work as they go along but it doesn't work for everyone. If you find yourself constantly loosing a grip on your project then it's time to knuckle down and get a plan of action in place. It shouldn't be the be all and end all though. It should act as a solid foundation however.

I think it's important to ask yourself what you want from it and really break it down. Then it's deciding if you're willing to put the hours in. I'm trying to hone my craft with better story telling and art so I'm willing to work on it. Webcomics is a strange hobby because it is at once that, where you can just work on it at your own pace but it's also a product you're putting out for the world to see with the hopes that people will read it and get invested. There's a fine line to balance on in that regard. Tip one way and you're sinking hours upon hours into something at the expense of other stuff in your life. Tip the other way and readers could loose interest, then you loose interest, then the fizzle.

I do think it's most important to persevere and finish what you started. And be prepared to fail on what you set out to do with your webcomic. It may not be your best work but having that feeling of accomplishment, that you stuck it out till the end, will stay with you more.
5 days ago, 1:54 AM #20
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
Webcomics are mostly free and a lot of work.

I agree that doing webcomics is a rather strange hobby because comics are a product and people do it for pay.

So investing thousands of hours into the webcomic just to get little or no return in terms of feedback or monetary gain can be disheartening. Getting constant negative feedback/demanding fans can contribute to it as well.

My Webcomic:
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Webcomics That Fizzle...
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]