Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Massive site update that changes nothing whatsoever

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > News & Announcements > Massive site update that changes nothing whatsoever
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Massive site update that changes nothing whatsoever", 12th Jun 2018, 9:47 PM #1
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
Hey everyone,

as a prank, instead of adding new features, I decided to completely rewrite the webcomic viewer from scratch. It will work mostly identical to how it did before, and if I did my job right, your webcomic sites should look exactly identical as before.

If you use a simple layout, there might be some slight changes, which are partially due to bugfixes (e.g. it won't show subscribe links anymore if your webcomic is hidden from comicfury), and unfortunately the spacing between links in your navigation might grow a bit wider than before, that should be the only change that I wasn't able to avoid, so you might have to tweak your navigation settings if you have very precise standards for the distance between your nav links, sorry.

If anything behaves oddly or seems broken, let me know! It's a massive change, thousands of lines of code are being switched active here at once. I did test it well, though, so hopefully it will all go extra smooth

Yeah, but why though?

Okay so as you might have been able to infer, I didn't really just do it as a joke. ComicFury is undergoing a rewrite at the moment, I haven't been making too much noise about it, because I figure there's only so many times I can announce invisible changes before people start getting a little annoyed with me, but it's been happening for the last year, and one by one I've been replacing all old pages with new code. Unfortunately, for technical reasons (most prominently to prepare for the update from php5 -> php7, but also just me being a much better coder now and the old codebase being a mess), this was pretty unavoidable.

This is not the last bit of the recode that has to be done, but it was the biggest chunk that's still left, and it is also the biggest chunk that will be updated at once. The other changes are just individual pages that probably won't get announced at all, like with most pages I've done.

So what does that mean for me?

Well, in the near future, it means that simple layouts will soon be convertible to HTML layouts! And it also means that the part of the site update that was blocking a lot of changes I've been meaning to make is now done. It also means that this massive developer timesink is also drawing to a close, so I'll be able to focus on more exciting updates than "hey everybody, nothing new was added, except maybe some bugs, watch out"
12th Jun 2018, 10:37 PM #2
Nama
🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎🍏
Registration date: 15th Nov 2012
When's Nama vision being implemented and making everything anime and fire.
Wiki - Notice Board - FAQ - Forum Rules
12th Jun 2018, 10:38 PM #3
Text
You should see my other booty
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
nama, kyo just said more visible features would come after the invisible beekeeper update concludes, do you even read

edit: nama clearly doesn't know what they're doing, make me mod pls
12th Jun 2018, 10:40 PM #4
Kyo
no longer a family man
yes, this update will finally enable us to add more bees to the site
12th Jun 2018, 10:44 PM #5
Text
You should see my other booty
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
finally
13th Jun 2018, 12:15 AM #6
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
I just want to say you're doing a good job Kyo and that we're all counting on you.
13th Jun 2018, 12:44 AM #7
Kyo
no longer a family man
thanks, it's been mostly pretty anticlimactic so far, I guess I did an okay job (although maybe it's a bit premature for celebrations)
13th Jun 2018, 1:16 AM #8
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Sorry to rain on this invisible parade, but ratings are not working.

To be specific, giving a rating didn't change the displayed number on the page.
13th Jun 2018, 1:21 AM #9
Kyo
no longer a family man
that's not so bad, sounds like a cache isn't being invalidated where it should be. Will fix that now.

Merged Doublepost:

Fixed!
13th Jun 2018, 1:30 AM #10
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Bruh I want my fives back, my whole hype machine is built around snatching dem Lincolns.

Merged Doublepost:

oh there they are, sweet
13th Jun 2018, 1:31 AM #11
Kyo
no longer a family man
Don't worry, the five was there the whole time. It's fixed now, so new ratings will show up immediately, if you don't want to wait, you can also go to edit your comic information and hit save, which clears all webcomic caches.

e: sorry I just realized that this may not be clear, any cache related problems only affect how things are displayed, so the ratings weren't missing, the page just wasn't being told to update when it should be.
13th Jun 2018, 1:43 AM #12
Lee M

Registration date: 19th Aug 2013
The update sems to have created one non-trivial problem. Comic pages are no longer viewable on Archive Binge. Example: Dragons and Silk. Here's a link to a recent SFW page, and here's the link to the Archive Binge viewer that should be displaying the page.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Tumblr | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M
13th Jun 2018, 1:52 AM #13
Kyo
no longer a family man
oh, I know what the problem is. Will fix.

Merged Doublepost:

Fixed
13th Jun 2018, 1:58 AM #14
Lee M

Registration date: 19th Aug 2013
Kyo:oh, I know what the problem is. Will fix.

Merged Doublepost:

Fixed

Yup. Thanks.
Storm Over Whoomera (NSFW, nudity) Comic Fury | Tumblr | Renderosity (first page)
Created by Ed Kline, co-writer Lee M
13th Jun 2018, 2:12 AM #15
Bad Webcomics Wiki

Registration date: 16th Jun 2017
Kyo:thanks, it's been mostly pretty anticlimactic so far, I guess I did an okay job (although maybe it's a bit premature for celebrations)

13th Jun 2018, 2:26 AM #16
Braign

Registration date: 14th Jan 2012
In my experience not many people can rewrite a whole website's worth of code with barely a hiccough or bug to be found. If I try to code, fixing one thing breaks ten things. So excellent work.
13th Jun 2018, 1:22 PM #17
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
I have found a bug. An extremely trivial, easily-fixed bug, but a bug nonetheless.

RSS feeds are now generating URLs of the form:
"http://<domain>//comics/pl/<id>"
eg. "http://keol.webcomic.ws//comics/pl/909071"

This caused my RSS reader to show all entries as unread, since the URL before the update didn't have that extra slash after the domain. The URLs still work, redirecting to the appropriate comic page, but I'm sure you'd want to save the wasted byte. Plus, that URL just looks wrong.
13th Jun 2018, 1:42 PM #18
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
If the site is undergoing a rewrite at tye moment, do you intend to make any major changes to the design or will your updates simply add a handful of features and make improvements to performance?

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
13th Jun 2018, 2:55 PM #19
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
Everything looks fine on my end. Unless there are really tiny bugs.

Nice to know the big invisible update is done. Let's focus on the big intangible update now.
13th Jun 2018, 4:18 PM #20
LMS

Registration date: 11th Jul 2016
I don't see any of these "site updates" you are talking about. I require proof that you aren't lying to get likes.