Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Best advice for getting work out there and noticed?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Best advice for getting work out there and noticed?
Pages: [1]

"Best advice for getting work out there and noticed?", 13th Jun 2018, 2:40 AM #1
deadkoi

Registration date: 28th Apr 2016
Howdy hi it's me again!

I am having a heck of a time getting my work, particularly my comic, noticed online, I'm wondering if anybody has any tips or resources they'd be willing to share with me?

I'm already posting on IG, Tumblr, and FB.
13th Jun 2018, 2:47 AM #2
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
Short of paying for ads -- shame Project Wonderful is going down -- you would probably do well to reach out to other peoples' comics and comment and rate. People will check yours out in return. Sometimes. Also, be active on this and other forums and link to the comic in your signature. Doesn't even have to be webcomic forums. Could be young writers' forums, or so on.
13th Jun 2018, 2:53 AM #3
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
-Have a signature that has a link to your comic for this forum.

-Send Centcomm a PM with fan art for Datachasers. It's the biggest comic here and they do post stuff like that in their normal update flow. (edit: fan art for other works is also a good calling card, but results may vary)

-Remember to do the VDSD... most won't.
13th Jun 2018, 2:56 AM #4
joeyballast
decked out
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
Time, steady updates and commenting on other people's comics are your friends. 13 pages and 1 month of posting may seem like a lot, but you're just getting started.

Give it time. Interact on the forums. Keep updating. Network as best you can. Eventually you'll gain some traction.

Neat art, by the way. Like the style.
13th Jun 2018, 3:04 AM #5
heckos

Registration date: 21st Nov 2014
Nine subs after a month of updating isn't bad at all! Also I agree that not having a link/banner in your signature is definitely hurting you a little since people tend to be lazy. Make it easy for them to find you and you might see better numbers.
13th Jun 2018, 4:42 AM #6
DizzasterJuice

Registration date: 18th Sep 2013
Wow I'm loving "Home" so far. Subbed and I'll promo it on Monday. Hope it helps.
13th Jun 2018, 5:23 AM #7
Tait

Registration date: 14th Nov 2016
Pretty much what other people have said. Be active. Talk to other artists and fans. Help people when you can and be someone nice who they want to get to know. A lot of it comes down to just trying to make new friends.

Also, remember to put links to your work in ALL your profiles on various sites.
13th Jun 2018, 5:42 AM #8
Eve Z.
and the Sorcerer's Stone
Registration date: 10th Mar 2017
Chippewa Ghost:
-Send Centcomm a PM with fan art for Datachasers. It's the biggest comic here and they do post stuff like that in their normal update flow. (edit: fan art for other works is also a good calling card, but results may vary)-

Duly noted. :P
13th Jun 2018, 5:45 AM #9
DizzasterJuice

Registration date: 18th Sep 2013
I would have to disagree with most on this, at least from my experience. CF is probably the best hosting site but you don't get very much traffic from it. Here's some of my recent traffic data and you can see that almost all comes from Top Webcomics, and CF isn't even in the top 10.

topwebcomics.com/ - 2,284
grrlpowercomic.com/ - 301
topwebcomics.com/member/favorites - 106
topwebcomics.com/?genreid=5 - 89
topwebcomics.com/vote/15664 - 57
vdsdaction.com/ - 53
whiteout.thecomicseries.com/ - 46
datachasers.thecomicseries.com/DataLinks/ - 43
topwebcomics.com/?genreid=6 - 37
topwebcomics.com/?pageid=1 - 21
13th Jun 2018, 5:48 AM #10
Wartooth

Registration date: 23rd Mar 2017
Make a signature, post on the forums, find and subscribe to comics on the site - everything has been said.
13th Jun 2018, 2:47 PM #11
Leafa
was along for the ride
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
DizzasterJuice:I would have to disagree with most on this, at least from my experience. CF is probably the best hosting site but you don't get very much traffic from it. Here's some of my recent traffic data and you can see that almost all comes from Top Webcomics, and CF isn't even in the top 10.

topwebcomics.com/ - 2,284
grrlpowercomic.com/ - 301
topwebcomics.com/member/favorites - 106
topwebcomics.com/?genreid=5 - 89
topwebcomics.com/vote/15664 - 57
vdsdaction.com/ - 53
whiteout.thecomicseries.com/ - 46
datachasers.thecomicseries.com/DataLinks/ - 43
topwebcomics.com/?genreid=6 - 37
topwebcomics.com/?pageid=1 - 21

Out of interest, how do you get people to vote for your comic?

I remember having success on there via a mutual lets-vote-for-each-other cable here on CF, but I haven't set up my latest comic on there.
14th Jun 2018, 1:46 AM #12
deadkoi

Registration date: 28th Apr 2016
Thank you all so much for your feedback and advice, it's been such a long time (6 years I've realized!) since I've tried to do this kind of work and things have definitely changed in that time!

I'm hoping I can work my way up from one page a week to 2-3 a week as time goes on and I get my workflow back. I'm trying to ease myself into art all together due to dealing with some back and shoulder injuries from two really bad totaled-my-car/cars-like-to-hit-me accidents.

Again, thank you all so much for your time!
"Best advice for getting work out there and noticed?", 20th Jun 2018, 12:03 AM #13
rickrudge

Registration date: 11th Jul 2017
Hi deadkoi,

I noticed that your posts don’t have a banner for your webcomics, “home”

http://wewillfindhome.thecomicseries.com/comics/1/

and “[plea]”

http://plea.webcomic.ws/comics/1/

What’s up with that? There’s not even a hyperlink for them. How do you expect people to go and view your comics without link taking people to them?

So you need to get to work designing a nice 500 x 90 pixel banner for each of those, upload it to ComicFury using Your Webcomics > Edit Comic Pages > Web Comic Management > Edit / delete webcomic banner.

Best of luck in helping to promote your work.

—Rick Rudge
Pages: [1]