Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - What are the worst things you've ever eaten?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > What are the worst things you've ever eaten?
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

"What are the worst things you've ever eaten?", 4th Jul 2018, 10:26 PM #1
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
I can think of a couple of contenders:

*Honda have their European factory in my town and their Japanese employees sent their children to my primary school because it had a good reputation. These Japanese students would often bring dried Japanese sweets to share with the class, and I must admit that they tasted horrible. Imagine raisins mixed with some kind of strong cheese - that's sort of what these particular sweets tasted of.

*I had a panini in a cafe about 5 years ago that happened to contain sundried tomato. While I hate the taste of tomatoes anyway, the smell of these sundried tomatoes alone made me gag so I was unable to eat. There was also a very weird mystery filling that I couldn't put my finger on what it was.

While I've never visited America, I've heard of this fast food chain called White Castle that serve mini hamburgers called Sliders, and these look so synthetic that I've long wondered what was in them. By sheer chance, my cookery teacher and tutor at secondary school told us a few years back that he had an American friend who wondered exactly the same thing, did an analysis of the Slider patty and found virtually no actual meat fibres in it, so I can tell you that if I ever visit America, which would be an interesting experience, I'm not gonna eat in a White Castle.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
4th Jul 2018, 10:49 PM #2
ReinderDijkhuis

Registration date: 16th Mar 2012
Raw avocado. Like eating scoops full of margerine right out of the tub, except more gristly. Blech.
About a year ago, bananas started tasting really gross to me. I used to eat two a day but now avoid them entirely.
4th Jul 2018, 10:59 PM #3
Chippewa Ghost
Spooky scary
Registration date: 6th Dec 2016
Cheap whitebait sushi.

The good stuff is barely tolerable; the bad stuff made me want to Ralph.
4th Jul 2018, 11:06 PM #4
Guybrush20X6

Registration date: 22nd Aug 2011
I don't deal with spicy food well so I get mild pepperoni that gets most of its flavor from smoking (or liquid smoke added later).

One time, I put it on my pizza without checking the expiration date and it somehow became the spiciest thing I have ever put in my mouth in my life. I was gargling with milk to get rid of the pain.
4th Jul 2018, 11:16 PM #5
Catburger

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2017
Casu marzu. Who's idea was that?
4th Jul 2018, 11:18 PM #6
Product Placement
paid to be there and look good
Registration date: 15th May 2011
Avocados? Sun dried tomatoes?

You people are whack!

This is how you're supposed to play the game:

*There is a shark.
*It lives in the arctic.
*In order to survive the frigid waters, it's evolved to retain near fatal levels of ammonia, which acts as an antifreeze.
*The ammonia makes its meat poisonous.
*In order to remove the ammonia, the shark is buried for 3 months, to allow it to decompose and release the toxin.
*It's then hung up to try for several additional months.

And even that's not the worst thing I've ever eaten. That honor belongs to surströmming.
4th Jul 2018, 11:23 PM #7
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
Tomato cup-a-soup, or anything with powdered tomato. Blech. Cooked tomato is bad enough. Raw's pretty good though.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
4th Jul 2018, 11:29 PM #8
Taily
Environment Knight
Registration date: 9th Mar 2010
The last time I went camping, I for some reason decided to try and roast a Pop Tart over the campfire. It immediately fell in, so I dragged it out with a stick and, FOR SOME REASON, decided to continue with my plan of eating it, even though it was burnt and covered in ash. I can't justify this decision. It tasted like pure sulfur with a bit of strawberry thrown in.

I've also had the pleasure of experiencing an unfiltered cigarette crumple into pieces in my mouth!! I was just a dumb kid trying to dress up as a spy for Halloween, and I convinced a friend to give me a cigarette to hold in my mouth and fake-smoke, and I bit down too hard, and BLAM, it spilled all of its contents right onto my tongue and I had to run to the sink to spit out tobacco for a million years. Pro tip, don't eat cigarettes!!

edit: also I ate a GLASS CHRISTMAS ORNAMENT when I was a baby but we DON'T TALK ABOUT THAT
4th Jul 2018, 11:32 PM #9
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Shitty sushi, seconded.
There's this "Japanese" restaurant a little ways away that our (very white) neighbors recommended to me and my dad. Turns out it was a "teriyaki" place. When we walked in, we were the only Asian people (for what seemed to be a 30 mile radius) and the menu was pretty lackluster and had Korean and Chinese food as well (what). It was ok, but the squid in my squid salad was just rubber. Terrible. The bulgogi was alright though.
Benihana's (BeniHAHA) pretty terrible too. They straight up just lie to you and say the food is "hibachi" (which is incorrect, it's actually supposed to be a shichirin grill), but it's TEPPANYAKI. That sort of restaurant is more for the show and the social atmosphere though, not really the food..
Asian (con)fusion is just terrible in general.

When I went to public elementary school, we had a lunch menu that was absolutely disgusting. There were these gross ass chicken strips covered in teriyaki sauce that looked like feces, and the milk almost always had curdled/big nasty chunks in them. We, for some reason, had bagged milk (keep in mind, this was in San Diego, CA, not Canada), and the milk was much better quality but everyone would get them just so they could stomp on them and make them explode LOL.

Airplane food is pretty terrible too. They have to oversalt the fuck out of the meals, because at certain altitudes, your sense of taste becomes numb and you can't really taste anything.

There are also shirataki noodles being marketed as "vegan, gluten-free spaghetti" noodles. NO, the texture is ALL FUCKING WRONG. DON'T use shirataki noodles for a pasta substitute, konyaku doesn't hold sauce on it very well, but rather in it, and the texture with tomato sauce is DISGUSTING. Zucchini, squash and carrot noodles have much better texture for a pasta substitute.
My mom has a habit of using soda cans as ashtrays, and as a kid, I quickly learned that I should never trust open soda cans.

On another note, things I love that other people don't: headcheese, tongue, liver, heart, blood sausage, raw eggs.
4th Jul 2018, 11:37 PM #10
LeRenardRoux
Sqaljjlmzonq
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
When I was in England once I ordered a sandwich that purportedly had "pickle" in it. It was Branston pickle; a bunch of pickled onion and other vegetables in a brown paste. There was not a pickle in my sandwich. It was upsetting.

Also any alcohol I have ever tasted ever.
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
4th Jul 2018, 11:56 PM #11
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
LeRenardRoux:
When I was in England once I ordered a sandwich that purportedly had "pickle" in it. It was Branston pickle; a bunch of pickled onion and other vegetables in a brown paste. There was not a pickle in my sandwich. It was upsetting.

That kind of pickle is quite common where I live, in fact, I have about 2 jars of the stuff in my fridge, I personally don't like it, it's only there because my brother likes it. In the UK, pickles are usually called gherkins.

The worst thing I've ever eaten though, that would have to be the vomit flavoured jelly been from Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Jelly Beans (the grass ones are the best though XD)

5th Jul 2018, 2:45 AM #12
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
LeRenardRoux:When I was in England once I ordered a sandwich that purportedly had "pickle" in it. It was Branston pickle; a bunch of pickled onion and other vegetables in a brown paste. There was not a pickle in my sandwich. It was upsetting.

Pickling is a process, not a 'thing' ( by which I think you mean dill cucumber ) Loads of things come pickled. My favourite is onions, but they have to be spiced, not just in vinegar,then capsicum...

Hilarious coming onto this thread and seeing three of my faves in the first few posts !
Love Tomatoes...eat them almost daily. Ditto for avocados ("gristly" -what the Hell avocados are you eating ? ), which I often have on toast- they do need a bit of pepper on. 'Rubber' squid means they weren't cooked properly.
What a bunch of wimps ! B-)

...as for myself and really bad things : A meat pie from a Cardiff Fish'n'chip shop, when our trainee, despite very explicit instructions to the contrary, went to the one next door to the 'real' wholesome and very popular one - "Well there was a queue !" well 'Duh', guess why !? I bit into it and thought I was eating hot shit. Literally. I gagged and spat and it all went in the bin at work. THAT thing is the absolute worst ever - it was FORTY years ago and was SO bad it still makes me feel dodgy B-)

...and even further back in time (which I've had a lot of !), going into an Italian bar and seeing people coming off work and buying and downing-in-one little bottles of Campari, so my mates and I got a round of them. O M G - as bitter as a jilted witch !

....and I wouldn't even enter the room, where Scandinavians were eating fermented fish - once was enough, I certainly couldn't eat it !

B-)
5th Jul 2018, 2:57 AM #13
Taily
Environment Knight
Registration date: 9th Mar 2010
Oh yeah, I almost forgot! When I was 14 or so, I was gaping upwards at a fireworks show like an idiot and accidentally ate some falling ash from a firework that had gone off above me! It did not taste great!!
5th Jul 2018, 3:00 AM #14
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
School "food". All of them...
5th Jul 2018, 3:15 AM #15
WanderingJew
🕎 Light it up 🕎
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Bear:'Rubber' squid means they weren't cooked properly.
What a bunch of wimps ! B-)

Yeah, I know. My dad's worked in the seafood and fishing industry for over 30 years, in his early years he worked at Tsukiji Shijo lol.
The point of my mentioning the squid was rubber was that the food there was terrible.

BTW, you're not supposed to cook squid for chuka ika sansai (Japanese squid salad), because the ingredients (that are used for sushi and sashimi) are often already boiled-cooked and only need to be defrosted and are ready for sushi/sashimi prep, not cooked again. That's why sushi and Japanese restaurants buy flash-frozen seafood products. :^)
That's usually where the rubbery texture comes from, unless you're using cheaper/subgrade material, or it's been frozen, thawed and frozen again (and again and again).
5th Jul 2018, 3:16 AM #16
LeRenardRoux
Sqaljjlmzonq
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
Bear:Pickling is a process, not a 'thing' ( by which I think you mean dill cucumber )

Just because something is one thing doesn't mean it's not another thing.

Also, American lemonade is objectively better than British "lemonade." Worth starting a revolution over imo.
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
5th Jul 2018, 3:46 AM #17
kirstin

Registration date: 12th Mar 2018
JuicyGrey:School "food". All of them...

Haha, I remember in my elementary school they would order a fuckton of pizza every Tuesday, so for the rest of the week our lunch was something like:

Tuesday: Pizza
Wednesday: Pizza but with *vegetables*
Thursday: Pizza but now a calzone.
Friday: The calzones, but now with more cheese.

This was all before Michelle Obama got her hands on the school lunch programs :P. The friday calzones are up there in terms of "worst food I've ever eaten", and it is REALLY hard to turn a 7 year old off of pizza. To this day when I see that brand of pizza (Papa Gino's, anyone?), I die a little inside.
5th Jul 2018, 3:52 AM #18
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
It has to be oful (organs). Everything about them puts me off. When my food looks like a body part that I can recognise, I can't eat it and even when I try to, the texture and taste does not agree with me.
5th Jul 2018, 3:55 AM #19
khkddn
death is imminent
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
My roommate made me scrambled eggs. It was so salty... it didn't even look like eggs, there was so much soy sauce.

Also once I ate a powder tea packet like a pixie stick. I can't use the excuse that I didn't know what it was, because I did, but there was no english on the packaging so I thought there was a chance it really could be a pixie stick. It was not
5th Jul 2018, 4:00 AM #20
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
RJDG14:While I've never visited America, I've heard of this fast food chain called White Castle that serve mini hamburgers called Sliders, and these look so synthetic that I've long wondered what was in them. By sheer chance, my cookery teacher and tutor at secondary school told us a few years back that he had an American friend who wondered exactly the same thing, did an analysis of the Slider patty and found virtually no actual meat fibres in it

They're notably cooked in onions. Onions sauteed in grease on little warm soggy buns. They're kinda like potato chips (crisps) in the sense that they're tasty junk-food wise, but you really can't eat more than 2 or else you'll just feel like garbage. My family used to call them "heartburn burgers" or something.