Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Spot illustration critique.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Spot illustration critique.
Pages: [1]

"Spot illustration critique.", 12 days ago, 12:11 AM #1
joeyballast
decked out
Registration date: 12th Oct 2014
Another forum I hang out has a monthly contest. This month the prompt is 'hidden'.

After a few iterations, this is what I've got so far. I think it works so far, but I'd love any comments/criticisms people may like to give.

Thanks!

12 days ago, 12:21 AM #2
TheHiddenElephant

Registration date: 1st Dec 2017
I like it! If I were to suggest any one thing, I'd say to make the troll (or whatever) be more hidden. Right now, he's got a hobbit hole door; it's a bit obvious. Kind of a "When U See It..." moment.
12 days ago, 3:24 AM #3
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
It's a really charming composition.
To me, the kid in back is at a slightly different angle. The combination of being closer to the side, further back, and tilted as he's walking(falling?) makes him look a little off.
The bird also feels a bit off to me. Since you stylized the tail higher and the legs are covered, it reads a bit tricky for me.

I really love the lighting though, and how the piece leads the eye. I didn't even notice the monster first glance.
12 days ago, 4:37 AM #4
joeyballast
decked out
TheHiddenElephant:I like it! If I were to suggest any one thing, I'd say to make the troll (or whatever) be more hidden. Right now, he's got a hobbit hole door; it's a bit obvious. Kind of a "When U See It..." moment.

Thanks!

That's a good call. The door'll be a bit more camouflaged (in shade/mottled like the landscape) once it's coloured.

Merged Doublepost:

swamp:It's a really charming composition.
To me, the kid in back is at a slightly different angle. The combination of being closer to the side, further back, and tilted as he's walking(falling?) makes him look a little off.
The bird also feels a bit off to me. Since you stylized the tail higher and the legs are covered, it reads a bit tricky for me.

I really love the lighting though, and how the piece leads the eye. I didn't even notice the monster first glance.

Cool cool. Thanks for taking a look. I may change the position of the kid in the back and delete the bird (kinda distracting). All good points!
12 days ago, 11:12 AM #5
atomicgull
formerly
Registration date: 2nd Jun 2016
I agree with the kid in the back being the wrong angle. The first thing I noticed was the girl up front but after staring a moment I think her head is just slightly too big, especially for looking from below.

Otherwise I like it a lot, great atmosphere! Not such a fan of the orange though.
12 days ago, 6:37 PM #6
joeyballast
decked out
Her head is a bit too big, yeah. Juuuuuuuuust too big enough to not be obvious :) I will change it up.

The more I look at the last kid the more I agree he's at a weird angle for the perspective.

Thanks for the feedback!

Merged Doublepost:

Posting an update since, well, why the hell not.

12 days ago, 8:21 PM #7
atomicgull
formerly
It looks great! Sorry about the orange comment, I'm dumb enough to not realize that wasn't your final version. I saw some of your other sketches in orange lately too, so I thought you were just digging orange.
11 days ago, 3:22 AM #8
joeyballast
decked out
Oh, no worries! Orange is a weird colour to sketch in :) (I usually take the saturation and value down before posting)
11 days ago, 5:41 AM #9
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
joeyballast:Posting an update since, well, why the hell not.

That is lovely work!
11 days ago, 2:44 PM #10
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I am absolutely impressed by this. The perspective, detail and proportions are spot on, but I have to agree with the comment about the troll's door. If you want him to be more dark and looming, you need to make his door look more camouflaged with moss and look more like a rock.
11 days ago, 3:29 PM #11
joeyballast
decked out
dpat57:That is lovely work!

Thanks!

Merged Doublepost:

MK_Wizard:I am absolutely impressed by this. The perspective, detail and proportions are spot on, but I have to agree with the comment about the troll's door. If you want him to be more dark and looming, you need to make his door look more camouflaged with moss and look more like a rock.

Thanks for takin' a look! Good to know it looks good so far :)

And yes, I agree about the 'troll's' door. It'll much more camouflaged/spookily lit once the values are set and colour's are applied, but I'll keep in mind that it truly needs to be hidden.

Merged Doublepost:

'Nuther update as progress continues (and also, why the hell not).

I'm going to restart the colours from scratch and start with a value layer first this time (as apparently is good/standard practice). In my comic I just lay down local colour and shade with multiply layers but with an illustration the values need to be much more spot-on.

11 days ago, 3:44 PM #12
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
It's coming along very nicely and while the colours make a huge difference, I still think that next time, you need to make it more camouflaged, but other than that, great picture and keep up the beautiful work.
10 days ago, 4:04 AM #13
joeyballast
decked out
Continuing with 'why the hell not'.

I'll probably fiddle with the colour and values of the cave later on.

10 days ago, 6:25 AM #14
JackFractal

Registration date: 4th Aug 2017
Really lovely work. Well done!
One week ago, 2:03 AM #15
joeyballast
decked out
Thanks! I'm cautiously optimistic :)
5 days ago, 11:05 PM #16
joeyballast
decked out
Work continues! Dunno how I feel about it anymore, but I'm gonna keep plugging away at it!

4 days ago, 12:29 AM #17
atomicgull
formerly
This is awesome! I love how bright it is up top compared to the shadows below. That last kid gives an ominous feeling. Why is somebody always lagging behind when danger lurks!
4 days ago, 3:55 PM #18
joeyballast
decked out
Thanks! Glad the values are working out. That last kid's totally gettin' eaten...