Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Day Job Madnesses

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Day Job Madnesses
Pages: [1]

"Day Job Madnesses", 11th Jul 2018, 7:11 PM #1
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Now that I have a license and a bitchin' '91 Chrylser LeBaron convertible, I've transitioned from Hell call center work into fresh Hell delivery driving. I drive for DoorDash and PostMates these days.

...and I almost got in at least seven car accidents* yesterday, only one of which would have been my fault... and I have to do more delivery driving today. Like, now, like, right now.

(*My favorite was near-miss was swerving into a gas station lot to avoid the person who'd turned their car the wrong way down the one-way street I was on. I missed them by feet, by feet, man...)

So, how are the madnesses of your day jobs keeping you away from your webcomic production whilst simultaneously destroying your mind?
11th Jul 2018, 7:41 PM #2
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Worked at Walgreen's for a bit. Told them couldn't stand long, they promised to put me in cosmetics where I'd be moving instead of standing up front. I never had a single shift in cosmetics. After I got a concussion from passing out and hitting my head mid shift, and was regularly too sick to eat and spending breaks laying on the floor, I quit.

Now I do data stuff, still for min wage so not at all livable, but I get to sit down, and sometimes work on comics while I work. I feel lucky to have the job, but in the summer, my health means that I'm working or sleeping and that's it.

Sorry/congrats on the new job. Call sent work is a special hell. May you remain crash free.
11th Jul 2018, 8:28 PM #3
junoro
So much to do in one lifetime
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
It's...FINE? Which is maybe saying a lot for half the retail type jobs out there. It's just I NEED a CHANGE. But changing jobs is hard and it's easier to stick with a place that knows me while I save up for stuff... but golly, I need a change. Hopefully I won't be in this retail job during Christmas. ;~;
11th Jul 2018, 8:47 PM #4
Mel Cormac
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
I transcribe clinic letters for a living, so my work day mostly consists of:

-sending emails to doctors asking them to get their recording devices fixed because they're cutting off the first word of every sentence and also cutting off medication doses so that's a bad
-restarting the software I use 10 times a day because it was made in the 80s and doesn't work properly on Windows 7 because Of Course It Doesn't
-debating whether I'd rather type a 10-minute long neurology letter or slam my hand in a door
-*slams fists against keyboard* Tell Me Where This Random Community Health Centre Is Based Please It's Not On My List

I don't really mind my job, but there's a lot that can drive you a bit mad if you don't have a sense of humour about it.
11th Jul 2018, 9:01 PM #5
Ambrose_Folly

Registration date: 12th Dec 2015
With mindless data entry, I'm effectively meditating all day using audio books to focus thought and keep the concious busy while the rest of my mins plugs away. I've come up with several plot points for my comic, a few personal relevations, and the secret to making a suit of power armor.

On the negative side, most of the males in the office have the feel of a beaten dog, which gives me the urge to scrub my mind out when I get home, to the point where I only have an hour or so of useful time left.
11th Jul 2018, 9:52 PM #6
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
I've recently started a new career at the beginning of the year, so for the time being my future is pretty fluid. I mean, ya can't really make any long term plans if you don't know what your schedule is gonna look like in the next month, right? Also there's the matter of learning the job and learning to work with my team. Things are starting to solidify though, so now I'm starting to look towards the future and make some long term stuff happen.

Honestly though, I don't really have any complaints. It's also super weird to actually make a liveable wage and have some job security on top of that; I've worked so many shit jobs these past years, it's hard to get used to the fact that I'm finally getting past all that. I mean, I like the job, the work is fulfilling, and I like my team (some of them more than others..). Of course when I get home I'm pretty tired and don't really wanna do no drawing, but I recently got an iPad Pro for the sole purpose of bringing it to work and drawing in-between assignments. I mean, Candy Crush on my phone is cool and all, but when I die with my dreams unfulfilled, I doubt I'll care that I made it to level 112. I've drawn a few things with it lately (including my avatar!), and I think I've become savvy enough with it to start making actual pages to my comic.

And that's pretty much my story when it comes to my 9-5 and my webcomic. It started off as a hindrance, but it seems like now it's about to become my comic's greatest ally. :D
12th Jul 2018, 2:38 AM #7
felneymike

Registration date: 26th Apr 2017
I work in two schools in Japan. One is a low-level high school so I have girls fawning over my blue eyes and boys mangling "wazzup!" at me. The other is a high-level private school for (mostly) elementary school age kids. The stuff they come out with is incredible.
Oh and recently I've been GETTING PAID to re-watch the first episode of Sherlock (you know, when it was good). It was one of the Pirates of the Carribean movies before that.
12th Jul 2018, 5:29 AM #8
Mel Cormac
Blimpmaster
Registration date: 16th Aug 2013
Ambrose_Folly:With mindless data entry, I'm effectively meditating all day using audio books to focus thought and keep the concious busy while the rest of my mins plugs away. I've come up with several plot points for my comic, a few personal relevations, and the secret to making a suit of power armor.

Oh yeah, I've got to the point where I can ponder plot points and dialogue while I'm typing, I just set my fingers to autopilot and let my mind wander. Hope that doesn't come back to bite me...
12th Jul 2018, 3:07 PM #9
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
This job wasnt ‘mad’ but years ago I was a datatranscriber for the IRS.. wasnt doing webcomics but was drawing a lot..or at least trying to.job was easy but it was mind numbing plus the managers just didnt give a crap so theres a bunch of people slacking off almost the entire shift and that irked me. I think im more inspired when im researching a lot and that job just turned me into a zombie xD. Ive had much worse/harder jobs but funny enough id say that job was the one period where I wasnt drawing as much as a result dont know why (taxes can die)
12th Jul 2018, 9:35 PM #10
Paulie Blade

Registration date: 2nd Apr 2018
I am a mathematician working at a university. An English-language counterpart name of my position would probably be assistant professor. My job is divided into two halves:
1) teaching students,
2) doing research.
Now, teaching takes a lot of time and the hours are fixed, obviously. But how I conduct my research is all up to me. Doing mathematical research means proving theorems. You can do in your office, but you can also do it at home, on a park bench or on a beach. What makes it awkward is that you are NOT controlled regarding your results (or lack thereof), other than reporting once a YEAR on your progress (what did you prove, what did you publish etc.). It leaves you some time for you that is free from teaching and it's up to you to decide whether you want to keep working or not. Do you want to keep evolving and ensure your career keeps moving forward? It basically comes down to this: do you want to be a good mathematician or a GREAT mathematician?
Sure the latter sounds decent... But I've always had this attraction to art... I was never able to ultimately decide whether I want to be a scientist or an artist. So I figured I'd try to be fucking both. The fact that I am pretty much risking my job by NOT meeting the standards of an evolving mathematician is quite a different story.
13th Jul 2018, 2:06 AM #11
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Ah...distant memories now, my 'day' job.

Most of my life I actually worked shifts. partly for the day-time off to surf, largely for the extra pay to support a wife and 2 kids.
I was in I.T. - computer ops for most of it...Help Desk for a few...desktop (I hated it !) for a few years...then finally back to ops for the last few...ending up doing a 3 day week for a couple, while I was on dialysis, then got voluntary redundancy, just after transplant.

UNfortunately, I DREAMT about bloody work, for about another 7-8 years - always something going wrong, like we couldn't make a deadline, or the machine had crashed, or.... then I'd wake up, all panicky B-)

Don't seem to get them any more, 'TF'

"Arbeit macht frei" - sorry, guys B\

Merged Doublepost:

Paulie Blade:I am a mathematician working at a university. An English-language counterpart name of my position would probably be assistant professor. My job is divided into two halves:
1) teaching students,
2) doing research.
Now, teaching takes a lot of time and the hours are fixed, obviously. But how I conduct my research is all up to me. Doing mathematical research means proving theorems. You can do in your office, but you can also do it at home, on a park bench or on a beach...

Ah yes, I saw a young physicist on T.V., who worked from his campervan, at the beach, in Hawaii. He said he was always thinking physics, even out in the surf.
Envious ?...Who ME !? B-)
13th Jul 2018, 2:17 AM #12
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
I can't breathe a single bad thing about my day job because I do like it. I like being around people, I like the atmosphere and honestly, I have it good there, but... I NEED to make comics. I would crazy if I didn't.
16th Jul 2018, 4:30 AM #13
hobo

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2016
I'd like to start off with my old job, to show the contrast between my new and old work.

Both jobs are call center offices. My old job had amazing pay and great benefits. Unfortunately it was so awful and stressful I ended my 11 years of employment there with a couple of severe mental illnesses, lol. The whole system was very anti-worker with a high turnover rate. The requirements were set up to make even the best employees fail; hence, at the time I left (and later my fiance), most of the call center was staffed by stumbling helpless newbies with almost zero guidance from the rapidly disappearing set of senior agents.

I was fired in 2016 for being unable to keep up with the metrics and spent 2017 in a gnarly battle involving a mad dash for employment, major depressive disorder, anxiety, and a few self-harmy episodes. I was seriously screwed up and I almost didn't make it out of 2017 alive.

That having been said, my new job is great. The pay is okayish, the benefits suck, but it's way better for my mental health and I get along great with all of my bosses and co-workers. There are no major inherent flaws; the system is set up like a strong support network, failure is difficult, training is good, all employees are encouraged to report flaws in the system (and they get resolved within the week!) and especially important: the noise pollution is very low. We even have an office project where we are building ourselves a break room exclusive to just our department, we have a Keurig and we're getting a minifridge next.

My only complaint is we don't get vacation time, but other than that, I'm so happy here. I have a lot of energy to work on comics after my shift, as long as my depression isn't being especially bad.
17th Jul 2018, 7:25 AM #14
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Today at 4.30 I got called about coming into an international college to teach beginner English all day...

That's the entire brief.

I asked if there was a theme or any resources but it's just come in at 8 tomorrow and take these guys all day for English. Um. I shouldn't even be on here, I have to cook up 6 hours of work and just guess at what they already know. I believe they already have numbers, colours, greetings and stuff.

This is nuts.