Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Suggest something survivable please.

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Suggest something survivable please.
Pages: [1]

"Suggest something survivable please.", 12 days ago, 10:45 PM #1
Reaper Dragon
🐉
Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
What to do with an approximately 800cc engine is an interesting question.
I don’t want to spend a lot and fun sounds good.

Interesting suggestions would be welcome.

The donor vehicle is a smart car.

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
12 days ago, 11:34 PM #2
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
It's the 800cc, 53-horsepower turbocharged diesel engine out of a late-00s/early-10s Fortwo, I'm guessing?

You could hook it up to a pump to make an air compressor or hydraulic compressor, or to an alternator to make a small generator. Those are fairly straightforward builds. If you're looking for something more involved but still practical, maybe a log splitter or rock crusher? The fun here would be in the building, not the use, though.

If you're looking for less "practical" and more "awesome", without being too dangerous, maybe try a boat? Like, buy a cheap johnboat, something that normally uses like a 15hp outboard motor, and instead build this thing onto it. You won't get going all that fast (50hp isn't much by boat standards), and if something goes wrong you won't be surrounded by traffic, so it's probably the safest fun thing you could do.
12 days ago, 11:56 PM #3
Reaper Dragon
🐉
The fun here would be in the building, not the use, though.

If you're looking for less "practical" and more "awesome", without being too dangerous, maybe try a boat?

Yes, at least half the fun is definitely the building. Awesome over practical though I think or it would end up the largest wood lathe existing. I can’t think of a practical use for a turned tree trunk though.
Tools would be interesting but wouldn’t likely get much use unless it turns into a business.

A boat is interesting. Something with pontoons rather than a single Hull is tempting. :)

"I thought “Unicorn Butt Patrol” would get more traction in the comments on the prior page, but as per usual on the Internet, everyone wanted to talk about physics instead"
11 days ago, 12:04 AM #4
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
I suggest you watch some episodes of 'Scrapheap Challenge' (2nd season onward would be best) to get some ideas. Two teams are challenged to make some sort of device from junk in a scrapyard. Engines feature quite prominently.

My personal preference would be a hovercraft.
11 days ago, 2:32 AM #5
felneymike

Registration date: 26th Apr 2017
Also check out Colin Furze on Youtube, he's my spiritual replacement for Top Gear. Once he built a go-kart with only simple tools like drills and spanners. If you've done other shed projects I imagine you have more involved tools than that, but it's a start!
11 days ago, 4:07 PM #6
Reaper Dragon
🐉
I was a fan of scrap heap challenge and robot wars. I’m new to Colin Furze so a big thank you there.
I do like the idea of a hovercraft. Ditch the wheels, suspension and other metal and this might work well.

Forum > Mediterranean Avenue > Suggest something survivable please.
Pages: [1]