Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Spotting your art in funny places

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Spotting your art in funny places
Pages: [1] [2]

"Spotting your art in funny places", 28th Jul 2018, 10:19 AM #1
WanderingJew
๐Ÿ•Ž Light it up ๐Ÿ•Ž
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
Have you ever seen anyone using your art in a harmless manner (I.e. like an icon) that amused or surprised you?

Occasionally I'll see people using some of my older art as icons and my brain goes "hey dat mine, me drew dat". There's someone who follows me on instagram using an old pic I drew as their icon and I think it's kinda cool.
I also make shirt designs in my personal shop and make stuff for commission work. I've drawn a good handful of stuff for a YouTuber's merch and seeing a lot of people wear my art is nice. One of my works on RedBubble has even been used in advertisements for the site and service (not the targeted ads, as in actual photographs of someone in public, wearing my work).
It's really cool, I like seeing my stuff like that.

Anyone else have any similar experiences or has seen their work in odd places?
28th Jul 2018, 10:41 AM #2
KAM

Registration date: 24th Sep 2013
I did a comic where I created a user avatar showing two of my characters kissing and one my readers cropped it and temporarily used it as his avatar, which cracked me up. However he only used it for less than a day, so if something had kept me from checking my site I'd have missed it.

And because my description sounds confusing here's the comic so you can see it.
28th Jul 2018, 11:26 AM #3
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
At one point in highschool, all these kids were asking me to draw pictures for them and I shrugged and drew their requests on MSPaint. The end result was at least 11 people having my art as their facebook profile pictures, all at once. The fools... unaware that they are merely pawns in my scheme for world domination.

At another point, I tried looking up art for a series I was feeling nostalgic for on Tumblr. A comic came up that looked eerily familiar. It was an old fancomic I drew years before. The description read "I don't know who made this, but I like it". It was surreal. I responded in my head, "Hey.... I know who drew dat"
28th Jul 2018, 12:05 PM #4
The Letter M
๐ŸŽ€Official CF Wine Tester๐ŸŽ€
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Rub it in Wandering Jew, with you popular comic and your fans. *shakes fist in the air*

Good job though. I imagine that's a nice surprise.
28th Jul 2018, 12:19 PM #5
argylefox

Registration date: 11th Jul 2014
About the best I could do would be the time I fixed totally messed up a whole heap of people's avatars as part of a thread. For a while there were around 10 to 15 people's avatars I had some hand in.

I wish someone would steal my art so I could be all righteous and angry while secretly being totally ecstatic.
28th Jul 2018, 12:58 PM #6
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
WanderingJew:Have you ever seen anyone using your art in a harmless manner (I.e. like an icon) that amused or surprised you?

Not exactly my art-art, and definitely not harmless, but a pretty popular app completely and totally lifted one of my characters.

Coincidence? Fuck that man: mismatched eyebrows and hair, hair style, eye color, armor style, armor color, skin color, 5 o' clock shadow, and in the fantasy genre? Not to mention being the one and only character I uploaded on Deviant Art way back when. The only thing they don't share is weapon and lower body, and that's because the original pic was only a torso shot where the weapon wasn't completely in the picture.

I was pretty sick when I first saw it. I know phone apps are a dime a dozen and they're infamous for stealing assets, but this one actually became popular though, it even has a sequel now. Since then I'm weary of where I post my stuff, and admitted it kicked me a bit to actually launch my comic and stake my claim so this doesn't happen again. I can prove I made the guy first thanks to the Wayback Machine, but I don't ever mention them by name since I don't want to make myself a target for their fleet of lawyers.
28th Jul 2018, 1:47 PM #7
WanderingJew
๐Ÿ•Ž Light it up ๐Ÿ•Ž
Registration date: 4th Apr 2017
The Letter M:Rub it in Wandering Jew, with you popular comic and your fans. *shakes fist in the air*

Good job though. I imagine that's a nice surprise.

It's not comic related work, it's a combination of personal work and commission work (I occassionally draw stuff for a youtuber who has a merch line, my name isn't really attached to the work's presentation and is less linked to me and more to the youtuber). I do a bit of fine art and craft making on the side. But I'd be ecstatic if it were comic related stuff..

@Bryfang I've had similar things happen to me, but not on such a large scale, namely dumb bootleg shirt stuff or people reposting my art without crediting or even just retweeting/reblogging/etc. I think my favorite has to be when someone stole a watermarked Babadook fan art and was offering to print it as a garden flag (for some reason..?).
28th Jul 2018, 2:03 PM #8
Microraptor
a small threat
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
Coming back to the harmless stuff:

There was that time when a certain piece of fan art drawn by me unexpectedly got incorporated into (one of) the webcomic(s) it is a fan art of!
(Which means that this fan art is totally canon now!)
28th Jul 2018, 3:43 PM #9
Damatris
the only thing I'll hit is the books
Registration date: 4th Mar 2014
I drew some fan art for Welcome to Night Vale podcast couple years ago and those have been used in youtube amvs. :D I don't mind it at all, it's fan art in fan product that makes 0 money and some even remembered to credit the artists. It was a bit of a wtf moment when a friend spotted them and linked the videos. I wouldn't have thought several someones might want to do that.
28th Jul 2018, 8:23 PM #10
freakenburger

Registration date: 12th Jul 2018
It's so weird when stuff like that happens! lol Aside from a few hentai sites and imageboards, my other drawings made into places like blogs and all. A very old drawing of mine has caputred the imagination of this site:

The Retroist

I gotta admit, I kinda cringe at this one, I could've done it a lot better. Maybe I'll remake it someday.
28th Jul 2018, 8:35 PM #11
Catburger

Registration date: 2nd Feb 2017
Seeing something like this would make my day to be honest.
28th Jul 2018, 8:47 PM #12
moonfixer

Registration date: 28th Jun 2018
I don't think I have had this happen to me before. I don't think I'd mind.
29th Jul 2018, 12:39 AM #13
Sikyanakotik
really tolerated
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Nintendo's official website used one of my drawings to promote Miiverse. Back when Miiverse still existed, of course. It's been long since taken down, but you can still find it through the Wayback Machine here. It's the one with the caption "I feel much sparklier now".

Unfortunately, they cropped off the username, but I managed to recover the original post as proof. While the original version of the drawing is now lost to history, the screenshot matched to it is still intact.

EDIT: Oh wait! How could I have forgotten that I saved it locally!

9th Aug 2018, 7:10 AM #14
Darksh1ne

Registration date: 7th Nov 2015
Nop. No one likes my art enough to steal it :'(
9th Aug 2018, 7:24 AM #15
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Not stolen, but I did have two people start doing a flirty RP in the notes of a fanart I posted once, which was charmingly baffling.
9th Aug 2018, 4:46 PM #16
SharpyTheYellowKirby
got away with it
Registration date: 27th May 2014
One of my Skype friends found an INYF comic in an advertisement for some sort of art contest, but I can't find the video anymore.
9th Aug 2018, 8:46 PM #17
Unnia
Pyro Puppy
Registration date: 11th Sep 2016
I drew a real cringe Hetalia fanart for someone like 6 years ago at the height of my weeaboo phase, recently they posted it with a caption saying something like,"found this, idk who drew it"

At first I didn't remember that I drew it and was like,"wow, reminds me of when I was obsessed with Hetalia haha."

I looked at it for a few minutes because I thought I had seen it before dawned on me,"that's my obsession flued drawing."

I'm glad I never signed any of my artwork back than.
10th Aug 2018, 6:37 AM #18
Mr. Awesome

Registration date: 27th Jan 2015
I drew some pics for a friend of mine to use in his YouTube videos and every so often I'll see them pop out outside of it being posted by friends.

Not sure if it counts but it gives me a giddy feeling whenever I see them being used for stuff
10th Aug 2018, 6:44 PM #19
ewolf20

Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
There was a time when I saw a meme that showed one of my pics on it. I couldn't help but point it out immediately.
10th Aug 2018, 7:03 PM #20
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Oh! I forgot my favourite! An art piece I did in 4/5th grade gets passed around as a meme sometimes. Some people have made up a kid who did it, usually it's just in a thread of funny kid things. I have no idea who took a photo or how it got spread around the internet. I've tried to backtrace it with no success, but it was wild to see it.

I'm #8 Here

The article lies. I did not go far in life. (Also I was neither a son nor in kindergarten. Warren is my surname)