Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Speech patterns and quirks

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Speech patterns and quirks
Pages: [1]

"Speech patterns and quirks", 7th Aug 2018, 9:04 PM #1
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
you know what I mean. We all have a particular way of saying something, or words we use a lot for no good reason other than liking them, or even made up expressions. What's your personal touch in dialogue? What quirks are you known for?

lemme remember as many recurring oddities as possible...

7th Aug 2018, 9:19 PM #2
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
I really say really too really… er, much.

I also have a very broad vocabulary and well-developed diction, so I sometimes use obscure words in everyday conversation without really thinking about them, simply because they're exactly the right word for expressing what I mean. While that sounds as if it would across as eloquent, the way I say things can sometimes distract people from what I'm trying to say, which is decidedly suboptimal. It comes with being a writer, I guess.

Oh, and I almost never use hyperbole. I would say "never", but that would be hyperbole. I consider it a form of miscommunication, if not a means of adding plausible deniability to a lie.

7th Aug 2018, 10:31 PM #3
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
I say "sorry" waaaay too much. I mean it often times in place of "excuse me," or "pardon me," but rightfully so, everyone thinks I'm apologizing for something, when I'm really just saying "oops, didn't mean to bump into you." It's just shorter...more concise, I guess. I've started saying "apologies" or saying it in other languages so I don't get as much guff about it. :/

I also talk really odd. Sometimes I sound "Canadian" or "Wisconsin" according to my partner. Probably from living up by Chicago for while (not Chicago proper--about an hour away.) A lot of my patterns I picked up from working at a National Park and just being around a lot of different people from all over for like...10 years. I say "snacks" really odd...and "go" like I'm adding an extra "o" on it.

I sometimes say "ya'll" but also change it out with "you all." I incorporate a lot of "I shall," and crap like that from my living history days.

And I like to pronounce Illinois more correctly than everyone else in the State...that's a "I" for "ill" not and "e" "el" and you never pronounce the "s" >:(
I think like many people of today, in my everyday speech I speak in hyperbole waaaay too much. But...I don't abuse "literally" :3

Finally, I still say stuff like "bitchin', "far out" (far-out and solid when it's really trippy,) sometimes "boss," definitely "groovie," and occasionally "crescent fresh."

7th Aug 2018, 10:35 PM #4
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
My greatest quirk is that I call things β€œthe thing” way too often or I say β€œI mean” at the beginning of every sentence.
7th Aug 2018, 10:38 PM #5
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
7th Aug 2018, 11:32 PM #6
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
I drop my g's (walkin' instead of walking), stutter when I'm stressed, use simile a lot, and drop words if I'm around friends. I also tend to hedge a lot (I think maybe it's a little, if you don't mind). I say 'fuckin' wild' a lot more than any human needs to.

My fav tick is both my roomies, if they find something funny, will just repeat it with the exact same inflection. So like... I'll tell a joke, and they'll tell the same joke by repeating it back to me precisely. It's really cute.
8th Aug 2018, 12:00 AM #7
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I do this thing where I always try to put things as nicely as I possibly can. If I do say harsh or blunt stuff, I usually end up either feeling bad or regretting it, and backpedal. I don't see this as a good thing.

I say sorry a lot, but usually in a sympathy way rather than a 'forgive me for something' way, and I sometimes say 'like' before a sentence.

My go-to, just-stubbed-my-toe swearwords seem to be 'bollocks' 'balls' and 'piss.' If I say 'shit' I'm usually quite upset. Sometimes I use outdated slang, especially 'rad.' My family used to say I sound unusually posh when I talk.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
8th Aug 2018, 12:15 AM #8
Bryfang
in the BIG CITY
Registration date: 18th Oct 2016
I use the words, "Y'all", "Fellas", and "Fam" like they're going outta style.
8th Aug 2018, 1:46 AM #9
DrFurball
real fur, but not a real doctor
Registration date: 16th Jan 2015
Location: Paradise City, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty
Perhaps it's due to not wanting to seem like I'm speaking on behalf of others, but I begin a lot of statements with "Personally".
I also throw around "kinda", "sorta", and "y'know" a lot. Also, thanks to Luke Cage, I say "Sweet Christmas" when surprised, when annoyed I mutter "Son of a Bullet Bill" (which I got from a Super Mario parody comic), and for good news, I give my attempt at Bill & Ted's "EXCELLENT!"
8th Aug 2018, 2:13 AM #10
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
"The problem with that is, ___" has become a bit of a catchphrase.

I make abrupt segues with "Anyways!" and then dive in to whatever else I feel like talking about. If I'm adding tangential info, from the bottomless font of knowledge that is my brain, it usually gets preceded with "Fun fact!". Eg. "Fun fact! One of the biggest teams in NASCAR is modding one of their straight-six engines for use in a long-endurance spacecraft."

My "r" consonants are WEIRD. I do the American dark-vowel thing, but also do a tap, or sometimes a trill? And sometimes I don't? I kind of want a trained linguist to try to figure out what my voice does because I can't figure it out. I am moderately self-conscious about it.

I jumble profanity together in novel ways. It's rarely the same twice but if I'm angry you'll hear stuff like "dickbrained taintpainter" or "jizzshitting fuckmuppet". Usually directed at computers, political systems, or corporations... it's been a while since an actual individual person angered me much.

I use odd units of measure. Obstacles can be a pain in the ass... or they can be a pain in twelve asses, or three asses, or any positive rational number of asses. Pain in fractional asses requires one to half-ass something, or quarter-ass something, but you can definitely be a pain in an ass and a half.

I will occasionally use the American Southern second-person plural, but only when to do otherwise would be ambiguous.
8th Aug 2018, 5:52 AM #11
SpiraPhantom

Registration date: 26th Mar 2018
In my language I find the phrase "I think..." not fitting when I'm not entirely sure, so I quite often say "I have a suspicion that...". Also, is various chats I often start my messages with "(Π€)" - a sort of identification for myself I developed at some point.
8th Aug 2018, 7:55 PM #12
Matt Comics
πŸ‹οΈβ€πŸŽ¨π•½π–Šπ–“π–†π–Žπ–˜π–˜π–†π–“π–ˆπ–Š 𝕸𝖆𝖓 πŸ’…πŸ‚
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
A lot of interesting quirks in this thread :)

Sikyanakotik:Wouldn't it be more fun to discuss character speech patterns, though? It's generally helpful to give everyone in a story a distinct voice.

Feel free to make a thread about that! It's as interesting as author speech patterns, and maybe more!

addendum: I wouldn't be surprised to learn many authors use at least some of their speech patterns for their characters. We always take inspiration from ourselves.

GMan003:I make abrupt segues with "Anyways!" and then dive in to whatever else I feel like talking about. If I'm adding tangential info, from the bottomless font of knowledge that is my brain, it usually gets preceded with "Fun fact!".

wow, I forgot I also do that a lot. Y'all* probably already saw it in random threads.

*okay fine, this "y'all" was deliberate XD
8th Aug 2018, 8:32 PM #13
Fluffythespider
Governor
Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Sikyanakotik:I also have a very broad vocabulary and well-developed diction, so I sometimes use obscure words in everyday conversation without really thinking about them, simply because they're exactly the right word for expressing what I mean. While that sounds as if it would across as eloquent, the way I say things can sometimes distract people from what I'm trying to say, which is decidedly suboptimal. It comes with being a writer, I guess.

I used to be like that too, to some extent. I think I stopped because if someone didn't understand a word I used, I felt embarrassed about it. Like maybe I thought they thought I was trying to sound smarter than them or something. Nowadays I've lost that habit.

Not really a deliberate pattern, but I've always had an accent that no one can really place and I have no idea where I picked it up from except maybe moving around the country a lot as a child. It's not as bad as it used to be, but people would think I'm from a different country. I also had speech problems as a kid and was made fun of, so I've always been very self conscious of my voice.
10th Aug 2018, 6:41 AM #14
Mr. Awesome

Registration date: 27th Jan 2015
I have two things like this.

Firstly I've noticed I've used a lot of Southern lingo a lot more regularly after often interacting a friend from that part of the U.S.

I also tend to use 'bloody' instead of the ol' F-bomb alot due to me being uncomfortable using it a lot, despite the fact using bloody means the exact same thing in British lingo.
10th Aug 2018, 4:20 PM #15
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
Nah, bloody's way less harsh than the f bomb, it's even in Harry Potter. You're good.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
10th Aug 2018, 4:49 PM #16
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
For a long time I couldn't stop putting "hey" at the end of sentences. "Wanna get something to eat, hey?" "I like that, hey." It made me NUTS, but I couldn't seem to stop. And then when a new (at the time) friend said "Yo" a lot (but not sickeningly so) it changed to Yo. "Time to go, yo" "I just finished, yo" "I need one, too, yo" ALSO made me nuts. Especially since "Yo" should technically come at the beginning of a sentence "Yo - wanna get a pizza?"

In my teen years I'd say "Merry Christmas" all year round, as sort of a catch all for anything or everything such as handing something to someone, "Here, Merry Christmas" or as a regular greeting/salutation. This did not make me nuts - I enjoyed the absurdity. Stopped eventually, though. Just 'done' with it, I guess.

I also, like many people, couldn't, like, stop, like saying like, like, all the time. I blame Shaggy (Scooby Doo). After both realizing (and being told) I sounded dumb, I like stopped. But it had been like really hard to do.

Speaking of 'really', I do still say this a bunch. Used in the eye roll or disgust type. "Another reboot of Spider-Man?? REAlly??"

There are also words that I have tried to get myself to say a lot, but they never stick. Such as "Crescent Fresh" (Sifl & Olly) and "Station" from Bill & Ted (Bogus Journey). Still wishing I could get those two to be stick!

DrFurball: I give my attempt at Bill & Ted's "EXCELLENT!"

EXCELLENT!! (I do SO love Bill & Ted!)
10th Aug 2018, 6:06 PM #17
phoenixjklin

Registration date: 15th Oct 2015
Because I've gotten to know a guy on my class really well, and he says "Ye" alot when someone is telling him something and such, you know, when they pause to check you're still listening or that you understand. I've started doing it too without first realizing it. So when he and I talk there's a lot of "Ye" going on. Just agreeing with what the other one is saying.
It sounds pretty funny when I do notice it in conversation. Mainly because it's not "Yeah", it's more "Yee". But that's also the accent that a lot of people have where I live. We use a lot of english words in daily life, even though it's not our mother tongue, so when we're speaking normally, even if I'd say I'm pretty good at pronouncing english, there's still a switch that turns when I'm speaking my mother tongue, and I say the english word in the accent of said mother tongue and it sounds weird. Most people do this where I live.

---
10th Aug 2018, 9:43 PM #18
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
I will say "mira" instead of "look/look at" despite the fact that I am speaking English.
Like when I said yesterday "Mira this kitchen sink it's so fucking deep" checking out a buddy's new apartment.

Fortunately I don't habitually pair it with guacha ("wa-cha", as in 'watch this', 'watch that') but I have been guilty of guacha on rare occasion.

Certain infrequent words I'll always say in Spanish for me despite knowing what the hell it is in English, like comal instead of frying pan.

Generally When a Texan asks "Do you want to ____" it's a request

Like "Do you want to buy some beer", it actually means "GO BUY SOME BEER" but if you say that to a Californian theyre like "...No?" and you just

you just gotta

tell them

THAT WAS AN ORDER
10th Aug 2018, 10:10 PM #19
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
Sometimes I'll say 'gila' which is Indonesian for crazy or awesome in certain contexts. it's just so satisfying calling people gila lol
10th Aug 2018, 10:12 PM #20
Kevtrev

Registration date: 31st Oct 2015
As someone who can't stand misunderstandings and inaccuracies, I always want to put every little nuance of my thoughts into words 100% accurately... which is, of course, impossible. As a result, my explanations are often riddled with perhaps more words than strictly necessary, usually phrased as "[word] and [word]".
You can see an example in this very post: "misunderstandings and inaccuracies" - it's always two words that are similar, but not necessarily synonyms. The two of them together describe my feelings/thoughts better, and with more nuance, than either word would by itself.
Pages: [1]