Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - A few Suggestions

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Pages: [1]

"A few Suggestions", 9th Aug 2018, 7:45 AM #1
Darksh1ne

Registration date: 7th Nov 2015
Hello! I'm a complete noob in running sites and coding but here are some things that I think Comicfury really could use. Most of the examples are based on features that already exist on other hosting sites, so they should be possible to make:

Chapter list
Currently when you read a comic and try to open the list of pages (Not archive) you see the entire list without any indication of which chapter they belong to. This becomes a big problem when the number of pages in a comic becomes high enough, so I think making the chapters hide the pages like folders would be a big plus.

Automatic page scaling
Not sure why this is still not a thing but... yeah, that.

A more convenient editing tool
Dragging is good. Would be nice if we could simply drag pages up and down to change their place in the list without the need to edit the posting dates.

The individual page links
Now this is a trickly one. Not long ago I found out that when you change the order of pages or add an extra page - link that leads you to the page changes its final number too. What This is very unfortunate because it makes impossible to post link for pecific pages to other sites, forcing instead to use URL. What I mean is that if I want to put a link to page 150 to another site and in a month or two I had to upload an extra page before it, the link will no longer lead to page 150 but to 149 instead.
I'm not sure this is possible to fix/change really, just wish to point out that there is such problem.
9th Aug 2018, 9:37 AM #2
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
yeah the edit screen is planned to be rehauled, I'm not exactly sure what it'll look like once I'm done with it, but I am aware that there's lots of room for improvement right now. Same for mass upload.

Currently when you read a comic and try to open the list of pages [...]

to clarify, do you mean the "quick navigation" dropdown?

Automatic page scaling
Not sure why this is still not a thing but... yeah, that.

are you talking scaling, as in on the website, or actually resizing the pages on the server, upon upload? The latter I'm a bit hesitant because it's fairly taxing on the server. The former does actually exist on one of our layouts, blue monday, but yeah it's one of those things where it's possible by modifying your webcomic's site layout. My concern with enabling it on all layouts is that it sort of potentially hides a mistake from the user. Like let's say you scan your page, it's 4 bajillion times 3 kazillion pixels, 5000gb in filesize, you upload it and everything's fine. You navigate to your webcomic site, it's scaled down, and you're like, yup, no problem. And then you wonder. Hey wait a minute, why did it take 18 hours to load my webcomic site?

whereas if you go onto your thing and it your layout has a horizontal scrollbar so big it knocks over your water bottle every time you load the page, you sort of can figure out what happened. Of course this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that we do have filesize limits. An option to let people toggle whether they want auto scaling might be a good idea though.

The individual page links
Now this is a trickly one. Not long ago I found out that when you change the order of pages or add an extra page - link that leads you to the page changes its final number too. What This is very unfortunate because it makes impossible to post link for pecific pages to other sites, forcing instead to use URL. What I mean is that if I want to put a link to page 150 to another site and in a month or two I had to upload an extra page before it, the link will no longer lead to page 150 but to 149 instead.
I'm not sure this is possible to fix/change really, just wish to point out that there is such problem.

Yeah, it's sort of the tradeoff between having nice and pleasant looking URLs and being able to go back and fit comics inbetween old ones. We do have a permalink feature, which is basically an immutable link to your page. If you are modifying your layout, you can access it via [v:permalink], as well as [v:nextcomicpermalink] and [v:prevcomicpermalink] - these links will always take you to the same page, no matter how you modify your comic archive.

You can also turn on displaying permalinks, although at the moment those are a bit ugly, the way we do it. That's something I should probably change, while we're talking about improvements to the site.

all good suggestions, it's appreciated.
9th Aug 2018, 10:58 AM #3
Darksh1ne

Kyo:yeah the edit screen is planned to be rehauled, I'm not exactly sure what it'll look like once I'm done with it, but I am aware that there's lots of room for improvement right now. Same for mass upload.

That's good!

Kyo:
to clarify, do you mean the "quick navigation" dropdown?

Mostly yes, this is a very important feature for long running comics and I see this being used in every other webcomic/manga hosting site. It's not so bad when the comic is under half a thousand of pages, but if there are more than that, it gets very complicated to find the right page/chapter. Some authors like to restart the page counter in every chapter, me included, and when you scroll through a large list where the chapters are not foldered, you run through numerous sets of the same numbers.
I think I can speak confidently here that doing it like this - Front page of my comic on SJ - would benefit everyone ^^
I am only at chapter 4, but I plan to work on dozens more and I often scratch my head how I'll be able to navigate my own comic on CF when I reach that far.

I also wish to add that this principal would work well not just for "Quick navigation" but for the Archive and for editing.

Kyo:

are you talking scaling, as in on the website, or actually resizing the pages on the server, upon upload? The latter I'm a bit hesitant because it's fairly taxing on the server. The former does actually exist on one of our layouts, blue monday, but yeah it's one of those things where it's possible by modifying your webcomic's site layout. My concern with enabling it on all layouts is that it sort of potentially hides a mistake from the user. Like let's say you scan your page, it's 4 bajillion times 3 kazillion pixels, 5000gb in filesize, you upload it and everything's fine. You navigate to your webcomic site, it's scaled down, and you're like, yup, no problem. And then you wonder. Hey wait a minute, why did it take 18 hours to load my webcomic site?

whereas if you go onto your thing and it your layout has a horizontal scrollbar so big it knocks over your water bottle every time you load the page, you sort of can figure out what happened. Of course this is somewhat mitigated by the fact that we do have filesize limits. An option to let people toggle whether they want auto scaling might be a good idea though.

Hmm, no I don't mean that anything should be done by the site to the pages that authors upload, an ability to upload pages with high resolution is actually great, when I want for example to upload a map with a lot of checkpoints which would not be visible if I used 1k-1200 pixel wide page. Or if it is some kind of highly detailed widespread page with a lot of minor details. There should be a limit of course not to cause too much pressure on the site and to not cause inconvenience to the reader. You already have it in place as far as I'm aware (yes I tried to upload a few extra long pages... had to cut them)

I mean exactly the thing you mention in your last sencence - a setting option for the readers to automatically downscale or upscale the pages while reading the comics, but also with an option to see the full image if it worth it.

Kyo:
Yeah, it's sort of the tradeoff between having nice and pleasant looking URLs and being able to go back and fit comics inbetween old ones. We do have a permalink feature, which is basically an immutable link to your page. If you are modifying your layout, you can access it via [v:permalink], as well as [v:nextcomicpermalink] and [v:prevcomicpermalink] - these links will always take you to the same page, no matter how you modify your comic archive.

You can also turn on displaying permalinks, although at the moment those are a bit ugly, the way we do it. That's something I should probably change, while we're talking about improvements to the site.

all good suggestions, it's appreciated.

Aha! That's good that it already exists, learned something new!

Oh and while we're at this, I'd also add that the comment editing window could be made larger (The window that pops up when you try to edit a comment while reading someone's comic) It looks exactly like the windows we use for posting on forum, but it is so awfully small that it gets very hard to edit large comments.
9th Aug 2018, 1:43 PM #4
Kyo
no longer a family man
Darksh1ne:
Mostly yes, this is a very important feature for long running comics and I see this being used in every other webcomic/manga hosting site. It's not so bad when the comic is under half a thousand of pages, but if there are more than that, it gets very complicated to find the right page/chapter. Some authors like to restart the page counter in every chapter, me included, and when you scroll through a large list where the chapters are not foldered, you run through numerous sets of the same numbers.
I think I can speak confidently here that doing it like this - Front page of my comic on SJ - would benefit everyone ^^
I am only at chapter 4, but I plan to work on dozens more and I often scratch my head how I'll be able to navigate my own comic on CF when I reach that far.

I also wish to add that this principal would work well not just for "Quick navigation" but for the Archive and for editing.

this can be achieved for the dropdown using HTML, here's something I whipped up:

<select onchange="jumpTo(this.options[selectedIndex].value);" class="comicnavlink">
         [l:chapteredarchive]
          [c:l.newchapter]
           <optgroup label="[v:l.chaptername]" />
           [c:l.chapterid!=v:chapterid]
             <option value="[v:l.comicurl]">Read from this Chapter</option>
           [/]
          [/]
          [c:l.chapterid=v:chapterid]
           <option value="[v:l.comicurl]" [c:l.currentcomic]selected="selected"[/]>[v:l.comictitle]</option>
          [/]
         [/]
        </select>

if you go to your layout HTML, and on the comic page code, find "<select", and then replace everything between that and </select> with the above

For the archive one, your archive page code would have to look something like this:

<div class="title">
     Archive
     [c:ischapterarchive]
      - [v:chaptername]
     [/]
    </div>

[l:chapteredarchive]
     [c:l.newchapter]
      <div class="subtitle"><a href="[v:l.chapterarchiveurl]">[v:l.chaptername]</a></div>
      <div class="titlesub">[v:l.chapterdescription]</div>
     [/]
         [v:l.number]. <a href="[v:l.comicurl]">[v:l.comictitle]</a> ([v:l.posttime])<br />
     [/]
    [/]

<hr />
     <a href="/archive">Back to chapter selection</a>
     [/]

Oh and while we're at this, I'd also add that the comment editing window could be made larger (The window that pops up when you try to edit a comment while reading someone's comic) It looks exactly like the windows we use for posting on forum, but it is so awfully small that it gets very hard to edit large comments.

on the comic page HTML - find the following:

window.open("[v:l.replylink]","reply","menubar=no,

will be immediately followed by width and height, you can change the numbers to your desired amount of pixels (just don't use commas or floating points or anything like that, only digits)

then find:

window.open("[v:commentlink]","edit","menubar=no,

and do the same thing (twice)

probably also a good idea to download a layout backup first, in case anything doesn't work as it should

e: I guess I should point out that this isn't a polite way of saying "I ain't changing shit though", I'll think about it all, you certainly have a point. In terms of the dropdown, I agree it doesn't make sense to have thousands of strips in there, but ideally for webcomics with only a few, the solution wouldn't add any additional clicking until it becomes necessary. Hopefully I can come up with a good solution that satisfies both use cases
10th Aug 2018, 10:19 AM #5
Darksh1ne

It's great that it is possible to do but... to be very honest I feel like a monkey looking at a quantim physics equasion here. No idea what to do with this

People like me need big shiny buttons ^^
10th Aug 2018, 1:13 PM #6
Kyo
no longer a family man
yeah, that doesn't surprise me too much. that's why I edited in the paragraph at the bottom. If you invite me as an author (with layout editing privileges) I can apply the changes if you want
10th Aug 2018, 3:25 PM #7
Darksh1ne

Alright, done