Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - The Mandela Effect - what are your "alternative reality" memories ???

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > The Mandela Effect - what are your "alternative reality" memories ???
Pages: [1]

"The Mandela Effect - what are your "alternative reality" memories ???", 8th Sep 2018, 7:57 AM #1
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
O.K., I'm hoping this'll liven up the place ! - How many of you have 'solid' Mandela Effect memories ?

Named after the famous Nelson Mandela this conspiracy theory Is when a large group of people remember something being a certain way, but when people go back and look at it, it has changed or is gone in this universe with no reasoning other than "it's always been like that"

The name comes from the fact that a large number of people have "definite memories" of Nelson Mandela having died in jail, in either 1983, or 1991 - yep, there's _2_ separate groups of these folk alone .
Other common ones are that the Monopoly man has a monocle, Curious George has a tail and the Berenstain Bears used to be the BerenSTEIN Bears ( I'm in that group ) - please don't bring those 3 done-to-death ones up though...

I have a complete T.V. series from the 60s - a kind of inept comedic spy, called Willoughby that no-one else remembers it, and there is NO record I can find of it on the tangled Web! ...and there's more like that .
8th Sep 2018, 8:35 AM #2
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
Silent Hill "ashes" vs Silent Hill snow.

The cause of this, is the live action movie showing that the falling "specks" were ashes. People misremembered and think the game's falling "specks" were also ashes when in reality it is implied that it's snow and it hasn't change.
8th Sep 2018, 9:16 AM #3
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
I swear on a stack of Bibles that I heard a version of The Police's "Every Breath You Take" that wasn't about a creepy stalker telling his victim, "You belong to me" and "I'll be watching you" -- but warning another guy to stay the heck away from his lady, with "Oh can't you see, she belongs to me" lyrics. No one believes me but it's twue, I tell you, it's twue.

No biggie, you say, but this has haunted me for years.
8th Sep 2018, 10:13 AM #4
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Sinbad Shazaam.
8th Sep 2018, 11:06 AM #5
Bear

Um, yeah, this is one of the 'regulars' mentioned on their site https://mandelaeffect.com/ ...along with "2 states" "Jiffy Peanut Butter" etc. - check it out- then come back here with yours (preferably different)

I reckon everyone has at least 'small' versions of these amongst their mates...

for e.g. an old mate I 'talk' to almost daily and I have 'perfect' memories of being introduced to a favourite album, by hearing it blasting out from someone else's kombi at a point break one day, as we both got changed to surf.....the thing is, it's TWO different guys !

Someone else I know gets talked about by several other guys, doing legendary things, on a surf trip he never even went on, as he and I know, but 5 guys are convinced he was there !
8th Sep 2018, 11:15 AM #6
Microraptor
a small threat
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
For I long time, I thought the only Mandela effect experience I personally had was a relatively mild one. Namely that most wine bottles in my childhood were shaped differently than today:

Bottle today: Cylindrical body, capped by a half-sphere, which then abruptly transitions into the narrow cylindrical neck.
Bottle back then: The body tapering into the neck much more smoothly.

But like I said, that's a relatively mild one because, you know, the wine industry could over time just have changed their preferences regarding bottle design. (Or perhaps there was some innovation in glazing techniques.)

However, more recently, I discovered another one:
I am one of many who remember that Tinkerbell wielding a wand has always been a part of the Disney logo animation at the start of their movies...
But it turns out that that version was only used very rarely at best...
10th Sep 2018, 11:56 PM #7
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
There are no Berenstain Bears in the prime timeline. We are living in the darkest timeline.

I "remember" Billy Graham dying roughly 10 years earlier than he did.

The X-Files did an insanely brilliant episode about the Mandela Mengele Effect in season 11, featuring all your favorite classic characters: Mulder, Scully, Skinner, and, of course, Reggie.
11th Sep 2018, 1:26 AM #8
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
There's an animated movie called Book of Life about the Mexican Day of the Dead with little puppet characters. In a particular scene, Strong Independent Love Interest™ was sweet talking Clueless Childhood-Friend Rival™ to catch him off guard before telling him off, but while she was sweet talking him, he whispered "yes~" in a voice that sounded so 'into it' that it was embarrassing. I KNOW my buddy caught that, too, because we both shared this "that was awkward" look.

Fast forward a couple years, when the movie plays on TV, that part isn't there. I figured they must have edited it out, but it didn't LOOK like it was edited? Did they just do it very skillfully? Would they NEED to edit an innocent word out just because it was said with a certain inflection? I was curious and ended up searching the internet to see if there was a story to the edit. Did parents complain? Was there still an unedited version? Did the original even exist? I couldn't even find a MENTION of the movie being edited at all. Did they just... sweep the whole thing under the rug??? Were they hoping nobody would remember? WAS IT EVEN THERE TO BEGIN WITH AND I'M JUST REMEMBERING CRAZY THINGS!? But then I asked my husband and he remembers it the same way from back then... Maybe this isn't the Mandela effect, but the whole thing is so suspicious and confusing, I can't help wondering....It's weird.
14th Sep 2018, 1:51 PM #9
ShadowLillium

Registration date: 4th Apr 2014
My memories are some ppl that I saw news reports that were died and shocked to see are actually still alive and still making movies and shows.
Some memories are breaking news events that havent happened but other people do remember, sometimes you can even find the alternative magazine covers with what happened on them different than the breaking news that is what happened.
Inventions that were suppose to be put into every day use but haven't yet or won't ever come out to regular public(looking at you cures for diabetes and cancer).

Merged Doublepost:

NiaNook:There's an animated movie called Book of Life about the Mexican Day of the Dead with little puppet characters. In a particular scene, Strong Independent Love Interest™ was sweet talking Clueless Childhood-Friend Rival™ to catch him off guard before telling him off, but while she was sweet talking him, he whispered "yes~" in a voice that sounded so 'into it' that it was embarrassing. I KNOW my buddy caught that, too, because we both shared this "that was awkward" look.

Fast forward a couple years, when the movie plays on TV, that part isn't there. I figured they must have edited it out, but it didn't LOOK like it was edited? Did they just do it very skillfully? Would they NEED to edit an innocent word out just because it was said with a certain inflection? I was curious and ended up searching the internet to see if there was a story to the edit. Did parents complain? Was there still an unedited version? Did the original even exist? I couldn't even find a MENTION of the movie being edited at all. Did they just... sweep the whole thing under the rug??? Were they hoping nobody would remember? WAS IT EVEN THERE TO BEGIN WITH AND I'M JUST REMEMBERING CRAZY THINGS!? But then I asked my husband and he remembers it the same way from back then... Maybe this isn't the Mandela effect, but the whole thing is so suspicious and confusing, I can't help wondering....It's weird.

It has happened, and is a legit thing that still happens. For me it was original 2002 spiderman movie, i cant remember the scene now but I went to the movies to watch it repeatedly, but then when it came out on vhs, there was a whole scene missing that I was like "WHERE DID IT GO!" It also happened to me for 3 other movies, but I just cant rememeber at the moment. But it is a legit thing that happens. It isn't so much mandella effect but sometimes movies edit it for the reasons that it they snuck in scenes that were originally editted out from the rating company's original approval, but the tv broadcasters often do edit out alot of scenes to make them tv friendly- SCIFI channel in the US does this all the time cause some movies are too violent or they need to shorten a movie to fit in tv broadcasting times + with all the commercials eating
15th Sep 2018, 3:58 AM #10
LukaszZ
ComicFury Baby
Registration date: 16th Dec 2008
Wally/Waldo wears a red shirt with white stripes vs white shirt with red stripes.
In a shitty 2000s poprock song "Walk Idiot Walk" I swore the guitar riff was less broken up, but now that I heard it again this year, I can't remember what I thought the song was like before.

Blanking out, there are probably more instances.
15th Sep 2018, 4:09 AM #11
NiaNook
it keeps coming out as anime
Registration date: 11th Oct 2017
ShadowLillium:It has happened, and is a legit thing that still happens. For me it was original 2002 spiderman movie, i cant remember the scene now but I went to the movies to watch it repeatedly, but then when it came out on vhs, there was a whole scene missing that I was like "WHERE DID IT GO!" It also happened to me for 3 other movies, but I just cant rememeber at the moment. But it is a legit thing that happens. It isn't so much mandella effect but sometimes movies edit it for the reasons that it they snuck in scenes that were originally editted out from the rating company's original approval, but the tv broadcasters often do edit out alot of scenes to make them tv friendly- SCIFI channel in the US does this all the time cause some movies are too violent or they need to shorten a movie to fit in tv broadcasting times + with all the commercials eating

Yeah, I figure it was edited, but the crazy part was how there's was no trace of the older version. Nobody mentioned it. No controversy. Not even a clip on Youtube of the original. It's as if it never existed. Which is why I was thinking I was going crazy until someone else confirmed they remembered it, too. o.O They're so sneaky about the edits.
15th Sep 2018, 4:49 AM #12
authorloremipsum

Registration date: 11th Sep 2018
Okay so, I'm sure you all know this wonderful movie called The Nightmare Before Christmas right? Well, there's the delightful song at the beginning, This Is Halloween.

The opening lines, I will swear, were always: "Ghosts and ghouls of every age / Wouldn't you like to see something strange?"

But listening back to it in recent years, it hasn't been that!!!
It's been boring, "Boys and girls of every age / wouldn't you like to see something strange?"
15th Sep 2018, 5:10 AM #13
Bear

ShadowLillium:
Some memories are breaking news events that havent happened but other people do remember, sometimes you can even find the alternative magazine covers with what happened on them different than the breaking news that is what happened.

OOooooh ! I LOVE that one !!! Er.....I don't suppose you have examples..? B-)

My son and I are always seeing things we call "Glitches in the Matrix" e.g., he was moaning, some time back, about having seen 4 identical model white cars in convoy on the highway, with drivers all dressed the same. He called it "Laziness" B-) - either someone/thing did a multi-copy, or didn't notice the multi-copy or couldn't be arsed to do differing colour schemes.
Sometimes in a shopping centre, you see the same person, going in the same direction, past the same shop, more than once . Or you'll see something 'new'- a news item, magazine article, first-relaease movie or T.V. show and "Know" you've seen it before.

B-)
15th Sep 2018, 7:03 AM #14
The Doodler

Registration date: 9th Sep 2010
Microraptor:For I long time, I thought the only Mandela effect experience I personally had was a relatively mild one. Namely that most wine bottles in my childhood were shaped differently than today:

Bottle today: Cylindrical body, capped by a half-sphere, which then abruptly transitions into the narrow cylindrical neck.
Bottle back then: The body tapering into the neck much more smoothly.

But like I said, that's a relatively mild one because, you know, the wine industry could over time just have changed their preferences regarding bottle design. (Or perhaps there was some innovation in glazing techniques.)

I've seen both kinds in a roughly 50-50 ratio at Aldi's. Maybe I'm stuck between universes. :P
15th Sep 2018, 7:46 AM #15
Sikyanakotik
really tolerated
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
Yesterday I was playing a word game and tried to use the word "attivate", which I believed to be a synonym of "weaken". After the game not recognizing it, even with alternate spellings, I looked it up online. Imagine my surprise to find said word never existed. I could have sworn at the time "attivate" was a real word, although in hindsight I probably just confused it with "enervate".

... "Enervate" is still real, right?
15th Sep 2018, 2:36 PM #16
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
I distinctly remember pikachu looking like this, I remember having a pikachu plush that had the black stripe on the tail although I can't find that plush anywhere -_-

16th Sep 2018, 7:43 AM #17
LukaszZ
ComicFury Baby
Registration date: 16th Dec 2008
Timelapse11:I distinctly remember pikachu looking like this, I remember having a pikachu plush that had the black stripe on the tail although I can't find that plush anywhere -_-

I remember something like this as well! But the end was brown not black. Perhaps you're onto something!
Pages: [1]