Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Are statistics not linked to time zone settings?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > ComicFury Problems, critique and suggestions > Are statistics not linked to time zone settings?
Pages: [1]

"Are statistics not linked to time zone settings?", 11th Sep 2018, 12:22 AM #1
Bolderousness

Registration date: 24th Aug 2018
My comic statistics are now taking count for September 11 when it's still 9/10. Do statistics not adjust to your time zone?
11th Sep 2018, 12:32 AM #2
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
Nope, it's always at the same time. Not sure why- either it's to keep the placement on the Popular lists consistent, or just because it's hard for Kyo to change.

Regardless, the stats all roll over at midnight in... I want to say Germany? So keep that in mind.

(If you're that concerned, you can always put Google Analytics on your site, which will adjust to your timezone)
11th Sep 2018, 12:45 AM #3
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
stats are currently tracked in UTC. I believe my reasoning at the time was that I didn't want changing your comic time zone to mess up the stat counter (and cut a day short or have a day be longer than 24 hours), although at this point, I'm not really sure that's worth the inconvenience caused by it.
11th Sep 2018, 12:47 AM #4
Bolderousness

Kyo:stats are currently tracked in UTC. I believe my reasoning at the time was that I didn't want changing your comic time zone to mess up the stat counter (and cut a day short or have a day be longer than 24 hours), although at this point, I'm not really sure that's worth the inconvenience caused by it.

Your time zone stats are like the first thing you set up on Comic Fury. If not, one of the second. Are you sure any inconvenience is worth keeping a universal UTC?
11th Sep 2018, 12:52 AM #5
Kyo
no longer a family man
well I mean there's cons to both ways. I feel like people changing their time zone at some point (e.g. because they moved, or because our current system currently completely ignores DST, which is also on my to-fix list) and then thinking they got a bump or lull in viewers is not like a complete non-issue. It's a bit messy, but right now at least it always tracks exactly one day of viewers.
11th Sep 2018, 1:05 AM #6
Bolderousness

Kyo:well I mean there's cons to both ways. I feel like people changing their time zone at some point (e.g. because they moved, or because our current system currently completely ignores DST, which is also on my to-fix list) and then thinking they got a bump or lull in viewers is not like a complete non-issue. It's a bit messy, but right now at least it always tracks exactly one day of viewers.

Sounds like an issue that emerges from a solution to a bigger issue. I'm not saying it's a non-issue, but I think changing the statistics time zone settings is the bigger problem and we can work out the other time zone stuff statistic issues later when people have experimented with it. If it's as big as an issue as you think, someone will just make a thread here about it.
11th Sep 2018, 3:19 AM #7
Kyo
no longer a family man
deliberately ignoring problems I know are going to crop up, waiting until someone complains, and then starting over isn't really how i do my development. I'm not telling you I'm not going to change it, I'm just telling you why we are where we are.

There is a way to fix both issues, but it would have a performance impact and ultimately it's a basic tracker supposed to give you a good rough idea without having to do anything. I definitely recommend that people who really want to go in depth with their stats are better off using external analytics tools, like google analytics, this is what websites all over the net do, most people don't really roll their own analytics, because there's a lot to it.

Again, not saying that I won't change it, I'll pop this on the issue tracker, I just need to figure out a good way that won't just replace one problem with another, or require me to track each visit individually, rather than just tallying them like I am now. (for performance reasons)
11th Sep 2018, 3:38 AM #8
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
I have changed my comic's timezone tons of times over the course of my time here - the DST compatibility is an annoyance, more so than the stats rolling over at 8pm ever will be IMO.

I agree with Kyo, this isn't the highest priority issue for the site.