Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Food that sounded good but was terrible

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > Food that sounded good but was terrible
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"Food that sounded good but was terrible", 12th Sep 2018, 7:04 PM #1
Jessie Blue

Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
I was a huge fan of Avatar: Last Airbender, and Aang always made such a big deal about lychee pudding that I thought I'd try some. I mean, I have access to all these great markets and I thought why not?

Ohhh man was it gross. It was sweet and flowery and like eating perfume. I was very disappointed. I did see also raw lychee fruits and wondered if maybe they weren't as bad as the pudding, but was not inclined to buy one and find out.
12th Sep 2018, 7:48 PM #2
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
I once ate lychee fruits when I was a kid, and never tried again. I can confirm it wasn't very good. Sweet, but too flowery, and the texture seemed vaguely disgusting.
12th Sep 2018, 7:53 PM #3
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Just recently dofuki or whatever that Japanese doughnut is called. It's what I mistook for mochi. It was not pleasant to taste or eat. The texture felt like raw dough and the taste was sweet and bitter at the same time. It was a shame really.
12th Sep 2018, 7:57 PM #4
khkddn
death is imminent
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
Meringues. It's just crunchy air.
13th Sep 2018, 3:13 AM #5
Jessie Blue

Also Turkish Delight for similar reasons. I read the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as a kid and thought that Turkish Delight had to be some sort of awesome chocolate or something. I was rather disappointed when someone gave me some, and in my young mind decided that boy must not have loved his brother and sisters very much if he'd sell them out for such nasty candy.
13th Sep 2018, 3:46 AM #6
Sample_Text
🔌
Registration date: 19th May 2016
Poutine is a fucking scam, Canada is a scam.

also for the inverse query:
Ketchup Chips are good, Canada is no longer a scam.
13th Sep 2018, 3:55 AM #7
Theta Sigma
Alley Dweller
Registration date: 5th Feb 2016
Twinkies, some of my friends hyped them up so much to me, but it took me years to finally have one (they're not that easy to find in Scotland), I figured that it'd be hard to go wrong with some sponge cake and cream... and then I took a bite, and it was the most horrific artificial taste imaginable. I didn't manage to eat anymore, I just drank a ton of juice to get rid of the aftertaste.
13th Sep 2018, 4:18 AM #8
OnePunchLucario

Registration date: 21st Apr 2015
I remember seeing commercials on TV as a kid about a cereal called like Cookie Crisps or something. All I remember about them was that it was like really small cookies as a cereal and it looked like the greatest thing ever and I really wanted to try it. When I finally tried it I immediately regretted it because man, I remember that those things sucked, big time.

Talk about something sounding too good to be true
13th Sep 2018, 4:26 AM #9
junoro
So much to do in one lifetime
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
I always get disappointed by 'artisan' foods at fastfood-esque coffeeshop places like Tim Hortons. For a bit they had these extremely fancy doughnuts with extra icing and stuffing and everything, but they just tasted so... fake. The emptiness of the sugar and the lack of anything substantial within the food just reminded me of those nasty icing cake abominations you can get for cheap at places like walmart. Colourful icing! But it tastes like NOTHING and leaves a weird film on your tongue.
13th Sep 2018, 4:50 AM #10
ratt
And who could forget dear ratboy?
Registration date: 25th Feb 2014
oh man, catch me buried under a mountain of sticky skins from motoring my way through kilos of lychees in the summer time and dusty from icing sugar off tuskish delights the rest of the year, that flowery tastes youre talking about is like ambrosia

people always talk up crab and lobster but i think... is it just so they can justify the price tag to themselves? I don't get the huge appeal of that particular flavour+texture combo
13th Sep 2018, 3:10 PM #11
Jessie Blue

Funny historical note on lobster, it didn't used to be expensive, it was considered 'poor food' because there were so many lobsters. Indentured servants had clauses in their contracts that said their employer wasn't allowed to feed them lobster more than three times a week.
13th Sep 2018, 3:16 PM #12
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
Sandwiches at Deliboard in San Francisco cost $15+ and leave you thinking "I seriously could have gotten the same thing for like $5 at Subway."

Also, expensive steakhouses set you up for an experience that's somehow better than just a... Not a cheap steakhouse but just a steakhouse, a normal steakhouse. Unless that food is actal wagyu, man, all the beef they serve up is just going to be of comparable if not identical quality but for a $30 markup.
13th Sep 2018, 3:25 PM #13
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
OnePunchLucario:I remember seeing commercials on TV as a kid about a cereal called like Cookie Crisps or something. All I remember about them was that it was like really small cookies as a cereal and it looked like the greatest thing ever and I really wanted to try it. When I finally tried it I immediately regretted it because man, I remember that those things sucked, big time.

Talk about something sounding too good to be true

I never understood those. Like a person couldn't just pour a bunch of Chips Ahoys into a bowl and pour milk on that.
13th Sep 2018, 3:49 PM #14
RJDG14

Registration date: 23rd Sep 2014
Theta Sigma:Twinkies, some of my friends hyped them up so much to me, but it took me years to finally have one (they're not that easy to find in Scotland), I figured that it'd be hard to go wrong with some sponge cake and cream... and then I took a bite, and it was the most horrific artificial taste imaginable. I didn't manage to eat anymore, I just drank a ton of juice to get rid of the aftertaste.

That's processed American food for you. Twinkies also contain preservatives that allow them to keep literally for years without going off. Most processed foods have a 6 month to 1 year life, with some dried foods keeping for a couple of years, but yeah, Twinkies sound horrible. Never eaten one though.

I found some unusually flavoured American Starburst sweets in Poundland once, and considering that I really like the version sold in the UK I bought them. They were edible although I wouldn't say they were anything like as good as the British version. First of all, the texture was different. The British ones are strengthened with pectin and have a chewy while melting/crumbly/soft texture while the American ones use gelatin (the British ones are vegetarian) and were tough and chewy. In addition they contained a number of dodgy artificial flavours and colours. The blueberry one was an ultra-vibrant blue and had this kind of weird spicy/bitter aftertaste that made me feel a little energetic as if I'd had an energy drink and the orange one was coloured with tartrazine which is known to be potentially harmful (the British ones use a non-harmful orange colourant that isn't as vibrant and more of a pale orange). Interestingly the orange one did taste slightly more like real orange than its British version but again had a horrible aftertaste that I never get with British Starburst sweets. The British orange flavour Starburst uses an orange derived natural flavouring, though, so technically it's the more natural tasting even though it's sweeter.

I have another one which comes to mind - milk chocolate Hershey bars, along with their Kisses. I've had one before and it kind of tasted like somebody had taken a Cadbury's Dairy Milk bar, removed 80% of its milk and added 10% human feces. That's genuinely how it tasted, so I don't understand why Americans buy them. I've had their American Cookies and Cream bar before and really liked it though, and their dark chocolate is edible, sort of sweetish tasting like Cadbury's Bournville bars.

Oh, and I ate* the worst meal of my life at a Scottish pub called the Rod and Reel in 2014. It looked okay on the menu - "beer battered haddock and chips, served with garden peas", and there were only about 10 main courses which meant that it could have been freshly prepared. Well it arrived about 10 minutes after ordering and the fish had the wrong texture to be haddock (most likely hoki), it was breaded instead of battered (the restaurant was breaking trading standards and could have been liable to prosecution had a formal complaint been made), and the chips were extremely soggy oven ones. My mum also had the most gristly piece of gammon she's ever come across (my dad's macaroni and cheese was edible but basic), and the restaurant had only a 2/5 at the time on TripAdvisor, but we were in a rural part of the Highlands and my sister was extremely hungry - she effectively dragged us in there. It turned out that there was a good looking bistro 5 miles down the road so we should have stopped there instead.

*Didn't actually eat it because of how horrible it looked and smelt, and for once my parents had no issue with me not eating. They stopped at a Tesco on the way back to our holiday home and bought me some pasta and sauce which takes 5 minutes to cook and was completely edible.

Scotland is a mixed bag as far as food is concerned. There are a lot of extremely good restaurants there, such as the one I ate a huge helping of mussels in a week earlier which had 4.8/5 stars on TripAdvisor, but there are quite a few I can think of which are terrible and decades behind modern restaurant standards, such as this pub. I'd imagine the same is true with Ireland although many of the meals I've had there have been better than meals I've had in England.

Gourlish (my central art site, linked with my Deviantart and Twitter pages)
13th Sep 2018, 3:51 PM #15
BluRaven C. Houvener

Registration date: 11th Jun 2014
Hands down....Head Cheese. I'd read about it and it sounded amazing. It consists of cheek meat, which is supposed to be the tastiest and tenderest meat there is on any animal, seasoned and cooked in various ways and then packed in some flavorful juices until it forms a solid piece of sandwich meat. Sounds delicious. Tastes like bologna with a texture of jello. Completely revolting.
13th Sep 2018, 5:09 PM #16
Travis

Registration date: 16th Feb 2015
The twinkie is an acquired taste. If you weren't raised on petroleum biproducts and cornsyrup, your palette might not be ready for twinkies or EZ cheese. you can work your way up with like a whole grain pasta drizzled in melted Velveeta "cheese", maybe a salad with a sprinkle of "bacon bitz" and ranch dressing. Before you know it you'll be sipping a Zima malt liquor beverage, flavored with a watermelon "Jolly Rancher", packing a lunch with Moon Pies and an RC cola, and eating Tacos with shells made out of Doritoes instead of tortillas.
13th Sep 2018, 5:20 PM #17
DeadpanSal

Registration date: 9th Jun 2016
That post gave me Diabetes.
13th Sep 2018, 11:10 PM #18
Text
You should see my other booty
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
Huckleberry soda. It tasted like nothing. I could have gotten about the same effect from getting club soda and adding a drop of non-specific fruit flavoring.

However, I later tried huckleberry hibiscus cream soda, and I could definitely taste a non-hibiscus, non-cream flavor in there, and it was quite good. So maybe the Jones soda company just isn't good with huckleberry.
14th Sep 2018, 12:20 AM #19
Timelapse11

Registration date: 14th May 2017
I bought some taro mochi, it was the only flavour they had left, the smell was horrible and the taste was even worse, I love mochi, but I think I'm gonna stick to flavours like blueberry and strawberry XD

14th Sep 2018, 12:46 AM #20
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
oh god that reminds me i haaate the texture of taro-based desserts augh