Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Would like your thoughts on an idea

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Would like your thoughts on an idea
Pages: [1]

"Would like your thoughts on an idea", 13th Sep 2018, 12:33 PM #1
moonfixer

Registration date: 28th Jun 2018
So here is the idea:

In movies, sometimes there is a gag reel or a series of outtakes. At some point in my comic (perhaps starting with comic 101) I wondered if it would be interesting to show "outtakes" from the previous 100 strips where the characters say or do the wrong thing. (or the situation of the comic completely goes off the rails... even moreso than it already has.) My concern is that readers would not be happy with seeing the same comic again even if it is presented in a completely different way. I would like your opinions.

Thanks for your time.
13th Sep 2018, 12:57 PM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
Note that the following is my own personal taste not what is right or wrong.

I personally don't like gag reels for things that aren't actually live action. I found it funny when a Bugs' Life did it because it was cute and because it's not a regular thing. However, everyone started doing it for cartoons, comics and non-live action things and it stopped being funny or cute. It got silly and I find it actually takes away from the fictional characters when you do these gag reel things because you're basically saying that even in their own world, they're playing a part. What makes cartoons and comics special is that it is a separate world where everything is fantastical, things can be perfect and where imagination is real. When you put a gag reel in the comic, it kind of wrecks the mood I have towards the comic after because you're basically saying that in this world, superheroes and such are just a part in a show too.

Plus, your comic already is a gag slice of life thing. It doesn't really need a gag reel because it's already taking those classic moments in heroism and making a parody of them. The gag reel isn't necessary because you're already doing what a gag reel normally does. And I mean that in a good way. It's what makes your comic funny and enjoyable. With that said, there's no need to add water to the ocean.
13th Sep 2018, 2:32 PM #3
JuicyGrey
✖✖✖
Registration date: 25th Jul 2015
I wonder if you would be skillful enough to include gag reel inside gag reel inside gag reel inside gag reel... until poor Meatshield explodes or something...
13th Sep 2018, 2:36 PM #4
moonfixer

MK_Wizard:Note that the following is my own personal taste not what is right or wrong.

I personally don't like gag reels for things that aren't actually live action. I found it funny when a Bugs' Life did it because it was cute and because it's not a regular thing. However, everyone started doing it for cartoons, comics and non-live action things and it stopped being funny or cute. It got silly and I find it actually takes away from the fictional characters when you do these gag reel things because you're basically saying that even in their own world, they're playing a part. What makes cartoons and comics special is that it is a separate world where everything is fantastical, things can be perfect and where imagination is real. When you put a gag reel in the comic, it kind of wrecks the mood I have towards the comic after because you're basically saying that in this world, superheroes and such are just a part in a show too.

Plus, your comic already is a gag slice of life thing. It doesn't really need a gag reel because it's already taking those classic moments in heroism and making a parody of them. The gag reel isn't necessary because you're already doing what a gag reel normally does. And I mean that in a good way. It's what makes your comic funny and enjoyable. With that said, there's no need to add water to the ocean.

You raise a good point. The whole being a part in a show thing was something i was afraid of. I had a solution to that but it seems a bit convoluted.

Merged Doublepost:

JuicyGrey:I wonder if you would be skillful enough to include gag reel inside gag reel inside gag reel inside gag reel... until poor Meatshield explodes or something...

Meatshield would explode drom trying to tye his/her shoes. I doubt meatshield could handle gag reelception. Lol.
13th Sep 2018, 3:19 PM #5
MissElaney

Registration date: 26th Nov 2016
Yeah, MK_Wizard makes great points so I just want to poke in and say "ditto" on that.

Besides, the amount of time you could spend making these redundant gag reels for a gag type comic in the first place, you could use making new original content.
13th Sep 2018, 4:05 PM #6
SpiraPhantom

Registration date: 26th Mar 2018
Well, you can always a third option: "superheroes are real, but sometimes they also work as actors re-imagining their adventures". Or something like that. Then it'll be an in-universe gag reel and you won't have to worry about the whole thing being a show.
13th Sep 2018, 4:08 PM #7
moonfixer

Thats what i was thinking. It may get too convoluted though, but that was my idea, like they are reliving their past adventures and getting details wrong.

Merged Doublepost:

MissElaney:Yeah, MK_Wizard makes great points so I just want to poke in and say "ditto" on that.

Besides, the amount of time you could spend making these redundant gag reels for a gag type comic in the first place, you could use making new original content.

You're right, focusing on new content is definately more important.
13th Sep 2018, 5:17 PM #8
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
You can just make it an alternate universe clip show. Treating outtakes like different possibilities resulting from the same event should keep the feel of a gag reel and still make it an in-universe thing. "Remember this event? Here's how it went horribly wrong in another timeline..." That seems feasible. Just don't devote too many pages to it or your readers will be bored. You can even feature several short outtakes on the same page.
"Only for the serious ones", 14th Sep 2018, 1:38 PM #9
xwindows

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2014
That kind of gag, outtake, or even the blank-dialog "What could have been said?" pages go better with a more serious story; they are usually inserted as a break between drama-heavy, suspenseful, or action-intense chapters to lighten them up.

If the comic is in question is a parody, over-the-top comedy, or fluff; this kind of pages might not make sense, they might confuse your readers.
14th Sep 2018, 1:58 PM #10
cool rhiannon

Registration date: 21st Feb 2016
You could do bonus panels, and put them in the author comments as a sort of second punchline, but you can't really do that for the past 100 pages, it's more the kind of thing you could do for the next 100 pages...

You could retell pages from another character's perspective, show the hidden aftermath that the protagonists didn't deal with, or show the hilarious consequences of the protagonists' actions and how they affect them/others? It'd kinda be like an after-credits scene, but in that case you'd want it to be like a bonus at the end of every story arc/major scene, not every page.

Bonus panels might be a better option than gag-reel strips, because gag reel strips might take longer to make - like MissElaney said - and you could spend that time making new content. Just a bonus panel is quicker, but still satisfactorily funny :3
15th Sep 2018, 4:29 PM #11
straker

Registration date: 27th Jul 2012
MK_Wizard:Note that the following is my own personal taste not what is right or wrong.

There is even a notable example of one live action movie where a gag (or blooper) reel was totally inappropriate. The 1979 film Being There. Peter Sellers hated its inclusion but couldn't fight it due to executive meddling. He blamed the gag reel for the film being being cheated out of an Oscar. And if you know that film, it really should have gotten one.