Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Chapter folders?

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Pages: [1]

"Chapter folders?", 14th Sep 2018, 12:41 PM #1
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
I could swear there was an old thread about that, but things have a habit of disappearing when I need them.

My archive page is becoming quite long, and it'll only get longer (obviously!) so... does anyone know how to turn chapters into clickable folders?

I'm focusing on a variation of this, though. Instead of having every chapter as its own folder, I'd like to have a folder for every year, and each year got several chapters. So I guess my other question is, how do I put several consecutive chapters into one folder?
16th Sep 2018, 2:49 PM #2
coldreave

Registration date: 7th Sep 2016
If you just want to break down each chapter into a separate archive page, that should be relatively straightforward. There's CF variables that allow the archive page to display either an overall archive or a particular chapter (accessed via a different link, like http://yourcomic.thecomicseries.com/archive/98765 )

So you should be able to have mutually-exclusive blocks of code on your archive page, along the lines of:
[c:ischapterarchive]
... display links to pages in chapter ...
[/]

[c:!ischapterarchive]
... display links to individual chapter archives ...
[/]

From memory, I think this conditional structure may already be in the default archive page, depending which layout you're using.

As for dividing your archive per-year: I think you could do something similar, but without the convenient variables you'd have to do more of the heavy lifting yourself, maybe using javascript and get-variables for context? Or maybe there's an easier way and I'm just overthinking it.

Either way: Good luck!
20th Sep 2018, 2:27 PM #3
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
late reply 'cause I was working on unrelated parts of the site XD

I think I figured out the folder part though. (spoiler-like buttons, basically) now I just have to actually implement it and then turn the archive into several year-chunks. thanks for your suggestion! I'll try to experiment with that stuff.
24th Sep 2018, 12:33 PM #4
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
oh I only saw this thread now. Not exactly what you're asking for, but here's a solution that will only show one chapter at a time, and a list of chapter titles by default:

<div class="title">
     Archive
      - [v:chaptername]
     [/]
    </div>

[l:chapteredarchive]
     [c:l.newchapter]
      <div class="subtitle"><a href="[v:l.chapterarchiveurl]">[v:l.chaptername]</a></div>
      <div class="titlesub">[v:l.chapterdescription]</div>
     [/]
         [v:l.number]. <a href="[v:l.comicurl]">[v:l.comictitle]</a> ([v:l.posttime])<br />
     [/]
    [/]

<hr />
     <a href="/archive">Back to chapter selection</a>
     [/]

if you want to get more complicated with it, it might be simpler to go with what coldreave said and just use two seperately coded pages in opposite condition tags

you can also do a similar thing for your comic selection dropdown:

<select onchange="jumpTo(this.options[selectedIndex].value);" class="comicnavlink">
         [l:chapteredarchive]
          [c:l.newchapter]
           <optgroup label="[v:l.chaptername]" />
           [c:l.chapterid!=v:chapterid]
             <option value="[v:l.comicurl]">Read from this Chapter</option>
           [/]
          [/]
          [c:l.chapterid=v:chapterid]
           <option value="[v:l.comicurl]" [c:l.currentcomic]selected="selected"[/]>[v:l.comictitle]</option>
          [/]
         [/]
        </select>