Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Forged In Fury!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Forum games > Forged In Fury!
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [15]

4th Oct 2018, 10:05 PM #61
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
We're forging blades in here Gman! There's no reason not to make an accompanying gun if you wish but we need to see a sword!

Like old reliable here.
4th Oct 2018, 10:12 PM #62
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
Here's Nanette's submission. -w-

"Hi, Jakoby! This is pretty exciting, I haven't really made anything on my own before. Well, I had a bit of help from my teacher, but I hope that won't disqualify me or anything.

I didn't know what a katana was until Dulgar showed me, and I'm pretty sure I can't make something like that with what I have... And I think Goshenian swords would be too heavy for fighting lots of monster things at once. So I made some knives! For throwing! I know it might be quite hard to get them back after use, but don't worry, I still have the mould. I could always just make more.

These aren't too fancy or anything, but I hope you like them. I'm pretty proud of myself."

Twitter
4th Oct 2018, 10:51 PM #63
The Letter M
Great work finishing so soon. Throwing knives are a great idea in a Zombie apocalypse. Quiet and deadly.

I have forged the tsuba and the fittings for the handle but I am having trouble finding real tamahagane steel to sanmai into the mild steel and make the blade.

-Dulgar is using his expertise to forge in the traditional Japanese style.
5th Oct 2018, 1:05 AM #64
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
Registration date: 16th Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere between here and there, but definitely not where I should be
I feel like someone watched the Man at Arms katana episode where Ilya went through the whole process recently.

I also feel like that person is The Letter M.
5th Oct 2018, 1:21 AM #65
The Letter M
I feel I need go google this show and download it.
5th Oct 2018, 1:23 AM #66
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
Location: Somewhere between here and there, but definitely not where I should be
Youtube series.

If you aren't already, don't go down the rabbit hole of youtube smithing shows.

I know way more than I will ever need to.
5th Oct 2018, 1:27 AM #67
The Letter M
These sound fun.

Merged Doublepost:

Here's my entry for Jacoby's blades. A katana and the accompanying wakizashi. The larger blade is called Shinigawa, meaning Dead River or River of Death. It reflects the intention that the user may flow through the zombies like water, leaving behind a silent trail of fallen enemies.

The smaller blade is called Saigokyu meaning final rest. It is a blade meant to put down the undead so that they may not rise again.
5th Oct 2018, 7:44 AM #68
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
Jacoby, slayer of zed, I have come to you today with a gift of steel!

This machete was crafted with one simple concept: function over form. With the blade, I have left much of the material intact, allowing for a heftier swing than you would normally find on a machete, to ensure a solid cleave against flesh and bone. The holes above the upper guard reduce much of the weight in the lower end of the blade, giving the far end increased power. To compensate, the handle has been extended, allowing you to place 2 hands on the hilt when necessary. Fear not, the blade is perfectly capable of being wielded by a single hand! I have used a a simple cloth wrapping over a soft maple grip as the handle, to allow easy removal and replacement should viscera find its way there. I can vouch for its capabilities personally, as I, ah, may have had to use it on my route to you. There really are a lot of zed around, aren't there?

EDIT: No I haven't been watching Bleach again why would you ask that's crazy HAHAHA
5th Oct 2018, 10:34 AM #69
The Letter M
That's certainly a mean looking machete...like a giant cleaver.
5th Oct 2018, 8:10 PM #70
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011

Gah, this took longer than I thought it would. I am way out of practice with Blender, which is kind of why I joined up. If you all had been slowerI'd been faster at it, I'd have made a scabbard and maybe textured it. Couple other things I'd like to fix but I don't want to hold this thread up any longer than I have to.

Like the text says, I made a nagamaki instead of a katana. Still Japanese, since I figured that aesthetic was a significant part of the character, but katanas are kind of the wrong choice for a zombie apocalypse. A katana is a rich samurai lord's weapon, or (later) a military officer's weapon. A nagamaki is a grunt infantry weapon - originally designed for anti-cavalry use, but I think it's a compelling choice for a zombie apocalypse weapon. The blade is about the same length as a late-era katana's, so it's still a quick-draw, close-quarters weapon, but the long handle (same length as the blade!) gives it reach when necessary. And trust me, you want to keep zombies as far away as possible. The blade is forged in a naginata style rather than a katana style, which makes it much less likely to snap because your wrist was angled wrong or you accidentally hit a bone or something, which is a serious issue with katanas.
5th Oct 2018, 10:13 PM #71
The Letter M
That looks really great. I can't use any 3d software.
5th Oct 2018, 10:55 PM #72
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
I think that just leaves me, then. I'll let Rose know the guy who looks suspiciously like Ari with a haircut is gone.
5th Oct 2018, 11:37 PM #73
The Letter M
I wonder if that nice roach will come back for the next one.
6th Oct 2018, 12:51 AM #74
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
"… Is he gone?

"O-okay, new client! So, Jackoby, it's nice to talk to someone from the same kind of world I come from for a change. Well, except I can't detect any mana in you at all. Seriously, you mance like a walking corpse!

"S-sorry! Maybe that wasn't the best example to bring up. But that brings us our first design point: Zombies! There's all sorts of zombie stories, and I know you aren't dealing with necromancy here, so I'll just go under the assumption that we're talking about Romero-style "remove the head or destroy the brain" types. Which honestly means the katana you requested isn't gonna work without modifications. They usually great against unarmoured targets, but only because they're made for slicing through soft tissue, causing the kind of injuries most zombies can easily ignore. You'd do better with a chopping or bashing weapon. Especially the latter: you don't want your weapon getting stuck in one zombie when 20 more are coming at you.

"Those sorts of weapons have another advantage: you're a civilian in a post-apocalyptic setting. Even if you could somehow scavenge up a whetstone and a bottle of mineral oil, you probably don't know how to use them properly to keep your blade in top condition. Seriously, you should see how long it takes for one of us to put blades on these things. No, what you need is a very durable weapon you can easily repair or replace in the field. And nothing too fancy either, or your fellow survivors might try to take it for their own.

"That said Japanese stuff is cool! I watch as much anime as the next girl, and I absolutely get the appeal of being a badass zombie-slaying samurai. Anything to keep morale up when the world's going to Hell is a good thing. Also, I assume you initially learned to fight by taking kendo classes, or at very least imitating things you saw in movies, so you'd definitely want a weapon that lets you use most of the same techniques.

"So without further ado, I present … the legendary "blade", Haikan!"

"I wish I could help you further with an enchantment, but it would probably evaporate as soon as you got home. So I just went ahead and bought you a duffel bag full of Pocky instead. It's the least I could do since I just bought all the parts from the hardware store anyway …

"Ah, d-don't tell Dulgar that! Please!"
6th Oct 2018, 1:27 AM #75
The Letter M
BAH! Does Jacoby look like the kind of guy who uses a bludgeoning weapon? Until he gets on the protein shakes he's going to want something with a bit of finesse!

Anyway, that's just my thoughts. Time to call on our client for his actual opinions.

JACOBY, what do you make of these fine weapons?
6th Oct 2018, 2:06 AM #76
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
The Letter M:BAH! Does Jacoby look like the kind of guy who uses a blugeoning weapon?

"Well, he doesn't look like he needs more edge."
6th Oct 2018, 8:09 AM #77
The Letter M

Time to celebrate a job well done!

Sorry Gman. I did my best to turn the sprite into a dude but he came out very generic.
6th Oct 2018, 9:26 AM #78
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
I like how you keep giving me shorts.

Gotta be safe in that workshop yo.

And the martini glass is a nice choice. Definitely my style.
6th Oct 2018, 12:39 PM #79
The Letter M
Safer than the galons of booze dulgar is chugging. I've been drawing her with shorts because in the avatar she doesn't seem to have anything on the lower half and that really isn't safe!

People have pointed out to me that I'm drawing Dulgar with "child bearing hips"
6th Oct 2018, 2:06 PM #80
phoenixjklin

Registration date: 15th Oct 2015
Amazing entries everyone!
Let's see what Jacoby thinks.

Nanette
Jacoby: "Woah, wait, did you say you haven't made anything on your own before? These kick as- I-I mean, these are awesome! I really like the colour of them. I normally wouldn't consider knives or daggers, but these really do look cool. I like their shape as well. Maybe I should gives knives a try. I might show them off to Lilith just to piss her off."

DULGAR
Jacoby: "YOOO, dude, how did you know I'm a sucker for details? Even the names are badass. The moves I could pull off with this duo of blades... Plus, they match my mask. The group would probably call me the ultimate edgelord with these (which they constantly give me shit for), but that's a title I'd proudly carry with these by my side."

Jade Joules
Jacoby: "Oooh, this one looks like it could rid me of a problem I have with my katana. I have to get a lot of power for it to cut clean through. This one seems like it would do a lot of that by itself. Really nice. I'd also feel like one really badass a-anime(?) character I liked as a young teen. (Anime was the name of that stuff, right? It's been a while.) I really want to go and give this a few swings."

Gman003
Jacoby: "Hell yeah, that's some serious length! You make some very good points about katanas in my situation. There's been a few close calls because of said problems. Because of the long handle I feel like I could get really clean cuts easier with this. Very nice thinking."

Rose the cat
Jacoby: "C-cat? Oh, sorry, I uh-... Haven't seen a talking cat before. Excuse me. *cough*
Oh, wow. I have to say, the few times I've had to use a steel pipe I've had a really difficult time because of the lack of a handle. This would also be alot easier to keep in a good condition. Funny you should mention other survivors trying to take my weapons. I sleep with my katana as closeby as possible because of that reason. I really like the charm at the end of the handle. And the fact that if anything would need replacing, it would probably be very easy to find. Also, I'll definitely share the pocky with the rest of the group. Definitely. *ehum* (What they don't know won't hurt them, right?)"

RESULTS:
Jacoby: "I have to say, this was a pretty difficult choice, and while some of you provided really efficient weapons, since I really am a sucker for detail before practicality (which, I am aware, could be the death of me one day), I have to say the winner is-

That said, thanks to all who made weapons for Jacoby!
It also really brought things about katanas to my attention that I hadn't really considered before. Things I will possibly play on in the comic itself in the future.
Also, thanks for letting Jacoby be a client! This was fun and interesting to see what people come up with!

---
Forum > Forum games > Forged In Fury!
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [15]