Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Forged In Fury!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Forum games > Forged In Fury!
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [15]

9th Oct 2018, 1:27 AM #101
Jeremy7
What a sucker
Registration date: 7th Mar 2018
I am now curious.

So it seems that the client doesn't need to be strictly fantasy. If I ever get one of my other ideas off the ground, I have an idea for the client...

(Just a note that I'm not leaking any details about this idea just for the game.)

I also have a planned LECTRO character who could be a client. But I already have their weapons planned, so game influence would be a minimum.

And I would join, but I'd probably be that one guy who doesn't take things seriously, presents a mall ninja knife that was obviously bought off eBay, and pass out in the molten lava.
9th Oct 2018, 5:02 AM #102
The Letter M
🎀Official CF Wine Tester🎀
Registration date: 28th Nov 2012
Ah great. We've gone from too few to an over abundance of smiths. Well let's kick this week's off. There's no reason to limit it to these five, if you want to post a blade before the end of the week the client may consider you.

The time limit is aproximately a week unless we all finish before that, at which time I'll ask the client to come and choose.

It doesn't need to be strictly fantasy every week as long as it's a blade of some kind.

Good luck everyone.
9th Oct 2018, 5:07 AM #103
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
Registration date: 16th Feb 2012
Location: Somewhere between here and there, but definitely not where I should be
I'm willing to let more than 5 in on mine if they want to participate. It just goes from a 20% chance I choose yours to something much less.
9th Oct 2018, 5:08 AM #104
The Letter M
Haha. I'd just finished editing my post to say exactly that.

This is the cryoblade! It can cool its self to -100 degrees Celsius, at the press of a button or in response to a whistle command...why this is useful is still unclear but I'm sure you can think of something. A small laceration with the blade will leave unprepared subject in shock or a prepared subject battling to continue moving properly due to the extreme cold. Several cuts will result in hypothermia or frostbite as well as lethargy, so an opponent can be overcome without a fatal blow.
11th Oct 2018, 4:30 PM #105
LMS

Registration date: 11th Jul 2016
The Choppa

A simple, durable machete. It's eighteen inch blade is weighted to make clearing brush and branches a breeze. If slashing at people isn't your thing, you can stab a hole two inches deep into them with the pointed tip! The blade also features a matte coating to prevent shine from the blade prematurely alerting enemies to your presence.

If you attach a chain to the handle and spin it over your head really fast, you might manage to hover above ground like a helicopter. Until your arms inevitably give out and you die by your own blade, that is.
12th Oct 2018, 11:07 PM #106
The Letter M
I found it hard to sci-fi up the handle. I see we both added round, shiny things. It'd normally be animal skins and tusks for me.
13th Oct 2018, 10:20 AM #107
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
Managed to pop onto a friends device to let you know that my internet will be down for a while. Dispute with the providers. So I'll have to drop out of this round. Sorry.
13th Oct 2018, 11:20 AM #108
The Letter M
No worries, Cooke.
13th Oct 2018, 1:05 PM #109
LMS

Registration date: 11th Jul 2016
The Letter M:I found it hard to sci-fi up the handle. I see we both added round, shiny things. It'd normally be animal skins and tusks for me.

Round, shiny things are must for anything calling itself sci-fi.

I don't have much practice designing weapons in general. While I can appreciate the beauty of someone else's idea, my mind tends to forgo form in favor of pure functionality, even when those to elements are non-exclusive.
14th Oct 2018, 12:29 PM #110
The Letter M
Two more days to go. People must be really polishing up these designs this time!
14th Oct 2018, 5:33 PM #111
Wartooth
will never cave in to the enemy
Registration date: 23rd Mar 2017
Popping in to say you people are amazing. Weapon design is no small thing and these things have all been siiiiiiiiiiick!
14th Oct 2018, 5:44 PM #112
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
I know I'm being slow. I'm planning for my next project and recovering from my last, so I've been distracted. But Rose will have something for you tonight.

Here's a hint: It's a transforming weapon!

Merged Doublepost:

"Phew! Sorry that took so long, Silence. But when I heard you had high-tech materials to work with and had to be ready for anything, I knew I had to make some kind of transforming weapon! I did a lot of research and went through a ton of different designs, but, ah … most of them either didn't work mechanically, ended up horribly imbalanced in one of the modes, or would just plain cut your fingers off if you used them wrong. I'm lucky I remembered to wear my leather gloves that day …

"Anyway, I think I finally have a design we can both be proud of. Mancers and manablinds, I present … The Survivor!"

15th Oct 2018, 2:43 AM #113
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
I actually had this done a few days ago, but I was trying to make a nice little pamphlet manual to go with it... I was busy landscaping all weekend, didn't get a chance to finish, probably wouldn't have been that good anyways.

Silence is clearly not angling to get into melee combat. She's got a suppressed sniper rifle, unless I'm misreading that image badly - if she even gets into handgun range, things are going quite badly, let alone melee range. So a giant sword is just not the way to go here. You want maximum utility out of a minimum of space and weight. Therefore, I present Silence with this knife:

This little thing actually has quite a few little features to it. There are four buttons on the knife itself (or eight, rather, four per side, but the ones on each side do the same thing), and two identical buttons and a small display on the sheath.

The sheath has a magnetic lock. The knife cannot be simply pulled out, one must press one of the buttons on either side to release it. This is just to keep it from falling out, not some biometric security lock. The display will show the current charge on the knife, if the button is held for one second (this is to avoid a light giving away your position - the power display is bright enough to be used as a dim, red flashlight). A belt hook is on the side opposite the charge display.

The knife itself has four operation modes, in addition to "being a knife". These all electrify the blade in some way, with replaceable power cells being located in the handle. Press the bottom in slightly and rotate ninety degrees to reveal the power cells - I didn't bother modeling them because I figured you have your own designs already.

Mode One is electrical signal disruption. Stab the knife into a circuit board, and push the top button, and it will emit low-voltage signals in a variety of patterns designed to screw with digital or even analog circuitry. The blade itself acts as a small antenna, allowing it to even disrupt nearby unshielded electronics. The exact effect varies based on what traces the blade is touching - it might just shut it down, it might make it go into a sort of digital seizure, or it might even burn out circuits. Precision isn't really needed - just stab whatever part of the computer or robot looks important, push button, repeat until it stops moving.

Mode Two is basically a taser. Just push button two and poke someone with the blade tips to give them a couple hundred thousand volts. Instant muscle spasms, nerve shutdown. Possible death if it hits the wrong spot but generally sublethal. And because it's a knife, if they're wearing thick clothing, you can stab through that, making it even better than a normal handheld taser. For your own safety, only the inner halves of the blades are charged - the outside cutty bits are very high-resistance, and carry basically no current except in Mode Four.

Mode Three is a small arc welder, striking the arc between the two tips (seriously, it's not just to look cool, I split the blades for reasons, even those smaller secondary gaps in each blade are there for electrical reasons). It probably won't work to weld big sheets of metal together, but connecting wires with it, maybe tacking something small in place, is totally doable. This can also double as a lighter - the arc will ignite dry wood, dry paper, and most common fuels.

Mode Four is "gets really dang hot". Press once to bring the blades to 400K, enough to boil water or cauterize wounds. Press twice to bring the blades to 800K, enough to glow red, ignite most fuels, and melt lead or magnesium. Press three times to bring the blade to 1200K, enough to demagnetize iron. Press four times to bring it to 1600K, enough to glow white and melt some low-grade steels. Press five times to bring it to 2000K, enough to melt everything except tungsten, carbon, and a few other materials (this blade itself is made of various tungsten alloys, so as not to melt itself). Press and hold the button at any time to turn the heating off. Note that protective gear should be worn above 800K, and you will burn through power cells quite quickly at high temperatures (unless the setting has battery-sized nuclear or antimatter generators, in which case have at it). Seriously, even with near-magic future-tech batteries, this thing should be chewing through them in minutes at 2000K. And taking several minutes to get up to temperature. And requiring you to wear heavy gloves, apron and a welding mask.

The blade has a length of 125mm, with an overall length of 226mm. The blade is a tungsten-tantalum-iron alloy, with a tungsten carbide coating for added hardness and sharpness (in theory, it will cut anything but diamond). The outer half of each blade has a core of tantalum, to serve as a resistive heating element. The white outer shell is made of a hard high-temperature plastic, and the inner shell is a softer, rubbery plastic, to give you some shock absorption. The control circuitry is shielded, and strictly analog, for maximum durability and resilience.

Miscellaneous notes: the split-blade design also makes it very simple to cut wires, just place the wire between the two blades, then twist the knife 360 degrees, this will tension the wire for cutting, which is difficult with most knives. The knife is deceptively heavy, since tungsten is pretty dang dense - about half a kilogram. It is suitable for prying when cool, but does not have much spring in it before snapping. There are no noise-making components, although Mode 3 obviously crackles. While it is quite sharp, it isn't quite a razor edge, again for durability. The power display only works when the blade is sheathed.

Is it the best melee weapon? Ehhh, not really. It's better than a bare fist, or a rock, or most sticks, but even a "real" combat knife would have more reach, let alone a sword or polearm. But... you have guns. Why bring a knife to a knife fight, or risk bringing a knife to a gun fight, when you can bring a gun to a knife fight, or better yet, snipe them from two miles away, before they even know you're there?

But if you do somehow end up in a knife fight, this is certainly one of the best you could carry. And it's just so dang useful.
15th Oct 2018, 2:57 AM #114
Sikyanakotik
Digital Metalworker
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
It looks like that's everyone. Unless Jade wants to keep this open another day just in case someone else wants to jump in.
15th Oct 2018, 3:43 AM #115
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
Location: Somewhere between here and there, but definitely not where I should be
That is exactly what I am going to do!

Honestly Silence is having a very hard time deciding all of these are awesome!
15th Oct 2018, 7:03 AM #116
The Letter M
Hooray, one more day. I haven't tested the cryoblade by stabbing it ino a person's chest. Who knows what could happen? They'd probably turn to ice from the inside out and shatter when the blade was pulled out.
16th Oct 2018, 5:41 AM #117
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
This officially places it at 1 full week since initial date. As such, it is time for Silence to peruse her options.

1) Cryoblade by The Letter M

Silence:This blade is certainly a work of art. The design is sleek, its function obvious, and it fits quite comfortably in my hand. In the right circumstances, I could easily see myself wielding this with some precision. The key to this, however, is some precision. Though it clearly is designed for one handed use, the weight of the lower end feels like it would be better suited for a more muscular combatant. I really do like the frosty components, and with an unexpected strike, this could very well incapacitate an opponent before they even know I'm there.

2) Choppa by LMS

Silence:I really do enjoy the design of this blade. While you do sacrifice some multi-functionality in your design, what it does do it does really well. The weight is well proportioned for someone of my stature, and the placement of the blade's curve means that I can place minimal effort for high efficiency chopping. I was disappointed to learn that while there is a segmented handle, it did not contain any storage or allow for a collapsible blade. Still, with some adjustments that can be easily remedied.

3) Survivor by Sikyanakotik

Silence:A hatchet after my own heart. I do quite enjoy the concept of a self transforming blade, especially with such a simple gesture. My biggest worry is that in the heat of the moment my hand may slip and flip the form, and trying to stab someone with the top of a hatchet would likely be ineffective. However, the locking mechanism at the bottom of the handle does alleviate some of that worry. Cleaning it appears to be a simple matter of rinsing it with water, which would definitely come in handy with some of my more messy encounters. It also appears to be capable of disassembly, which is a fantastic feature.

4) Zipknife by GMan003

Silence:Clearly, a technophile of some renown crafted this knife. Its multilevel functionalities and voltages definitely does provide a multitude of situations during which it may be used, which is quite a feat. While the blade is quite weighty, it is also the smallest of the bunch, which provides it a certain level of leeway. I only worry that I may press the wrong button, and end up welding the bottom of a cookpot to the ground rather than boiling the water inside. However, that would mostly be a user issue, and less a fault in the design.

Silence:After some self deliberation, I have decided that the Survivor by Sikyanakotik most fits my current needs and capabilities. All of your blades were perfectly functional, but as I can only choose one, I had to go with the one that fills my most immediate needs. However, the author of my comic has some news.

Everyone's weapon will appear in the comic at some point in the future! In its first appearance you will receive a PM with a link to the page it appears on. However, the weapon the protagonist will wield will be the Survivor. I already have plans for all 3 of the other blades, and if anyone (ANYONE) wants to contribute a weapon to me or my comic I can certainly find a way for it to make it in, because -spoilers-.

Anyway, thanks for the designs they were all great. LETS DO ANOTHER ONE!!!
16th Oct 2018, 6:40 AM #118
The Letter M
Excellent work everyone. A second win for Rose the cat.

Thanks for putting all the designs into your comic, that's so cool. Now sign ups are open for the next challenge.
16th Oct 2018, 7:16 AM #119
Jade Joules
Shoots to kill
ME!

1. Jade Joules
16th Oct 2018, 4:30 PM #120
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
I'm gonna sit this one out. These have taken more time than I probably should be spending. I'll probably join back up for the next one.
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [15]