Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Super Clunky!

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Pages: [1]

"Super Clunky!", 6th Oct 2018, 2:21 AM #1
CrosEL

Registration date: 9th Mar 2018
I mentioned this before, but now I REALLY need a "clean" suggestion:

Since I'm unable to smoothly continue my comic as it was, I started a "Director's cut" version, featuring slightly altered story, with different POVs in some scenes, more or less it goes with the main thing. It's kinda like it and the original threads together. But, I had no idea how to display this.

I asked for a "link to another comic-site" thing, which simply mean having another Archive to store these strips instead, but not only couldn't I explain this, I have no idea how to make something like that myself.

And so, due to other problems... I quickly decided to upload how far I came onto UBERNATURA... but it looks garbled and clunky AF! The Arc being shown from 2 different angles but listed directly after the other, seems confusing and stupid... I would love a better way to display this, the Extra-Page thing IS ideal, but how the pages would be shown, might look crappy...

Long story short: Please look at the UNTITLED chapter list UBERCELERITAS
does it look clunky to you?

And is there a way to have 2 Archives? Or is there already less "clunky" way to display the alternate story?

UBERNATURA
(Sorry, I haven't programmed for a long time...)
8th Oct 2018, 1:18 PM #2
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
Sorry, I could not see an UNTITLED chapter list at that link. If you want to separate two different versions of your comic, I guess you could register an alternative CF site if that's easier for you.

If you just want to share a limited selection of earlier work, probably the extra pages idea is best.

The hard way might be to keep both versions in the same comic as chapters, as you're doing, but using tricks like page titles and posting dates to keep everything organized. For instance, title each page "Director's Cut Chapter X Page Y" or "Ver.X Ch.Y Pg.Z" or something kind of like they title TV episodes like "Series.Title.S01.E01." Be consistent with matching chapter titles and page titles, and consistent labeling will be easier to read as well as parse programmatically later on.

Oh yea, part of the clunkiness might be because that layout center aligns each title. If the titles are left justified, it might be easier to read.
"Chipping", 9th Oct 2018, 6:25 PM #3
CrosEL

I might have already changed the title from untitled, sorry about that the name change thing.

And I REALLY want to have this in the same site, too. Because I want people to be able to identify it as a alternate version, instead of a prequel or sequel.

And... Thanks for the idea! Apart from alternatively naming the chapter's differently, if the Titles were justified, it would help a lot! But it'll be perfect if I had the 2 Title lists side by side... (I'm probably being greedy...)

Alternatively, from messing with the programming: is there a better pre-made site here, I could use for the Director's-Cut?

UBERNATURA
10th Oct 2018, 7:19 PM #4
Robotwin.com

The Blue Monday layout might be a better match with your freestyle artwork, and its archive page looks left justified already.

Putting your archive page in two columns is possible, but it's going to require some HTML expertise. Also, with Javascript you could screen the archive page counter so each version appears to start at page one.
"Thanks!", 12th Oct 2018, 1:26 AM #5
CrosEL

Ah, I'll look at it, and... I REALLY wish I knew what to alter in the HTML and Javascript: at vety least: seeing how the solution would look like would help alot. Maybe I'll see if someone would show me what to alter.

Thanks for this, hopefully I can make everything look clear and clean!

UBERNATURA
12th Oct 2018, 6:31 PM #6
Robotwin.com

Is your original version still adding new pages, or is it complete? I still think it's easier to create a separate comic site. That would automatically start each version at page 1, and you could copy/paste the auto-generated archive page HTML from version 1 to a side column of your dicector's cut archive page.
"???", 12th Oct 2018, 9:34 PM #7
CrosEL

Robotwin.com:Is your original version still adding new pages, or is it complete? you could copy/paste the auto-generated archive page HTML from version 1 to a side column of your dicector's cut archive page.

Sounds risky, but I'll experiment and see what happens.

(Sadly, the original version's not going at all: my tablet's injured now...)

UBERNATURA
Pages: [1]