Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - webcomic worries

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > webcomic worries
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"webcomic worries", 13 days ago, 8:46 PM #1
Mothtrap
mouth blood
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
Is there anything you worry about in your comic? Tricky upcoming scenes? How people will react to something? If you're getting things across in the right way?

Me, I worry that my plot twist will be too much of a twist and throw people off. I've put a few hints in but I still think it's gonna be a surprise - which would be okay if I didn't think my story seems more like one where you should be able to solve beforehand. yet I don't think anyone will see the twist coming.
13 days ago, 9:01 PM #2
Matt Comics
Wiki Wacko
Registration date: 17th Aug 2017
there are regular worries like "is this ending too predictable" and then there's a whole bunch of lesser-known worries when posting old stuff. I especially worry about people being confused by my, shall we say, weird and somewhat nonsensical pages.

I used to worry about my old art style throwing people off, but if the often repeated fact that it's old stuff somehow isn't clear, there's nothing I can do. also, the story itself is more important than the art.

I'll probably experience regular worries when I'll start posting my other, upcoming project.
13 days ago, 9:16 PM #3
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
Well, I look forward to the twist Moth!

I worry a lot about pacing, and I worry about my ability to handle when the story gets a lot more dark and in world political people thinking I'm taking a stance on real world military stuff.
13 days ago, 9:18 PM #4
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
"webcomic worries" is honestly my life :')

1)

2) Some people seem completely blind to the character-centric stuff in the comic. I mean just a couple days ago, I had someone tell me that "every dialog" in my comic has been "pure exposition." Now I realize my character writing leans very heavily to the subtle side, and that's how I like it, but what if I'm doing it wrong? Maybe even some of those "I don't see it" people would've seen it, too, if I'd done a better job...?
13 days ago, 9:18 PM #5
BlueDragon

Registration date: 7th Jan 2015
I worry I'll never finish my comic.

I'm 34 now, and I am only on Act 5...and I have at least 25 Acts scripted, and that's not even the end. I'm mostly worried and disappointed in myself...but I'd like to finish before I die :/ I'm working on it hard now, but that's cause I finally have time since I'm unemployed at the moment. As soon as we move and I find a job, I know it's going to fall to wayside again (living/surviving have to come before the comic.)

I usually put this worry off and keep plugging along, but I see so many people not finish great comics, and it makes me sad. Mine's not great, but I at least want to finish it :/

Anywho...that's my webcomic worry.

13 days ago, 9:19 PM #6
MJThornton

Registration date: 8th Nov 2015
There's the usual stuff; whether I used enough references, is the lineart quality staying good, are the characters going off model again accidentally, are their heights staying consistent, did I cram too much exposition in a certain page, are the characters moving around the set nonsensically because of how I stage panel-to-panel, did I accidentally drop details or small items in the background again;

My worst one is always DIALOGUE. I'll write the dialogue out and think it's great. Then I'll go back a day or two later and facepalm realizing how stilted and unnatural one or two lines actually are. No matter what I do cringe manages to slip in somewhere. One character in particular is hard to write because he's supposed to have a Russian accent and it's spelled out phonetically which can result in lines so bad they're unreadable.

I've even had to fix like two or three plotholes and I'm only twenty pages in! I don't know what to do either because comic fury doesn't seem to let me change original files to ones who's dialogue I updated without putting everything out of order by submitting a new page.

EDIT: OH okay I found it! Thank you Jimmythebirb.

EDIT: And thank you too Kyo, that's very very helpful. I should have just asked on the forum lol
13 days ago, 9:44 PM #7
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
There is an option to edit your pages and replace the original file with the updated one. It's just under 'upload a page.'

I will be back shortly to edit this post with my own worries.

Edit: Okay, my own worries.

I worry that the romance is taking too long, and when it does start to really develop, it will seem too abrupt. I worry the ship and backgrounds don't look realistic enough to take seriously. I worry that if a certain character's past and family come up, I won't be able to handle that respectfully enough. I worry that my plot twists will be too obvious. I keep thinking the hints I'm putting in there are extremely in your face (and come chapter 7, there'll start to be a lot more of them) And yet only one person has guessed one of the main twists so far. That I know of. So maybe I'm doing well-? Argh I don't know XD

I also worry that not enough is happening, and the characters aren't being proactive enough. I did set out to write a particular kind of story, but I guess I'm afraid that people who start reading for a straight up adventure story might become very disappointed.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
13 days ago, 9:53 PM #8
Kyo
no longer a family man
Registration date: 6th Jul 2008
MJThornton:I've even had to fix like two or three plotholes and I'm only twenty pages in! I don't know what to do either because comic fury doesn't seem to let me change original files to ones who's dialogue I updated without putting everything out of order by submitting a new page.

Sorry, I know the edit comics section is a bit of a mess. I'm actually working on making it easier to use right now.

Anyway, this is possible though. In your webcomic management, go to "edit/delete comic pages", select the checkbox next to the comics you want to edit (if you're planning to upload new files, i wouldn't suggest selecting more than a few at once - also something that will be fixed in the aforementioned rework)

then scroll to the bottom, and hit the edit button. it'll present you with a form for each page that also lets you upload a new comic image

e: by the way, your comics are sorted by release date, so if you want to add a strip inbetween older ones, just set the release date accordingly
13 days ago, 10:05 PM #9
Sikyanakotik
really tolerated
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
My next project is going to be primarily in physical media, which means that every page I produce will have an actual material cost. Since I'm currently unemployed and unable to take advantage of EI (Canada's version of welfare), I'm terrified that I'll have to stop production partway through because I simply cannot afford to produce it anymore. Ugh, I'm already terrified enough that I'll have to file for bankruptcy one day.
13 days ago, 10:13 PM #10
deo101

Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
I'm with a lot of you, getting caught up in "am I being too subtle?"
It's not like you want to right out SAY what is going to happen, but you start sitting there sweating like "well now no one is gonna see it coming"

I worry a lot about all sorts of things, generally if something is coming across right.
There is also quite a bit of worry with physics and accuracy, I know I have also accidentally gone off model a lot or all sorts of things. There has already been at least one physics issue that I know of lol. I really love science stuff so that kind of thing probably bugs me a lot more than other people.
There is also a mild worry that... it is going to be a pretty long story. And I feel like some of my readers are impatient. I worry something will get lost or convoluted or drag on in this or that way over time.

I end up just kind of saying... well! it is good enough and I'm doing the best I can and it's not like someone could ask more of me. I mean, they could ASK but I couldn't do it. So! I'll just keep chuggin' along enjoying it! It won't be perfect and that is okay! The next one can be better.
13 days ago, 10:29 PM #11
MJThornton

Registration date: 8th Nov 2015
Sikyanakotik:My next project is going to be primarily in physical media, which means that every page I produce will have an actual material cost. Since I'm currently unemployed and unable to take advantage of EI (Canada's version of welfare), I'm terrified that I'll have to stop production partway through because I simply cannot afford to produce it anymore. Ugh, I'm already terrified enough that I'll have to file for bankruptcy one day.

Oh god this is such a well founded worry. I went through about 40 pages of my story initially using black and white Faber-Castelle pens and I was blowing through them like no tomorrow. Finally I came to a scene that was going to be long and taking place in the middle of the night and I realized I was going to need boxes full of pens to shade that dark and it was going to be really difficult to get right; there were only so many dark shades so how was I going to draw inky black shadow monsters against a dark night background? I ended up throwing out 40 pages of work and starting over digitally. My quality went up astronomically, I got plain better at art 40 pages later and I wrung some stale tropes out of the story.

If you can manage to stagger over the steep initial cost of an 800$+ tablet computer, or a ~400$ bamboo tablet and desktop combo, and the 50$ - 500$ cost of an art program the nice thing is it'll never cost you a cent after that. ... Well unless you're so good at breaking tablet PCs you break three in a four year span like I did lol. There's the matter of having to uh. Re-learn how to draw too. Pen movements on plastic or ugh ... glass ... instead of paper and particularly using a tablet while looking away at a monitor took me six months to learn to do well at first. But you get an infinite color palette, 100s of undos, and the ability to reedit mistakes and old pages!
13 days ago, 11:21 PM #12
Sikyanakotik
really tolerated
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
I do have an old cheapo tablet. It's useful for editing, but trying to do anything accurate with it is so slow and frustrating that I'd never complete pages in a reasonable amount of time. Plus, I just like the look of the pastel pencils I work with.

I wonder if there's a compromise. If I use scanned pencil for the linework and colour digitally with a hatched style… I think I need to do some experimentation. And I can always save the pastels for things like covers and promo art.
13 days ago, 11:24 PM #13
Dyohna

Registration date: 20th Feb 2015
I have the opposite worry to some of you guys, I'm worried I'm not being subtle enough with my relationship writing. I don't care if people ship my characters, but I don't want to lead my readers on or have them expect certain relationships to play out romantically. I don't want people to ask when so and so are getting together cause its taking too long when in truth its never gonna happen! I'd feel like I'm disappointing them a bit cause who doesn't love a cute couple haha.

My comic's too new to even start getting those questions but I'm still bracing myself.
13 days ago, 11:28 PM #14
Kelsey -Nutty- P.

Registration date: 5th Oct 2017
I worry about um. Everything, lol.

Whether I present ideas clear enough in my art. Whether my characters are believable. Whether my characters are LIKEable. Whether the pacing is okay. Whether the colors are working to set a mood. Whether my backgrounds, which I'm working so hard to improve on, can be read well enough.

Whether all the hard work I pour into this will pay off.

I worry about so so much. But I am an anxious bean. Always have been.

So I just soldier on and do my best!
13 days ago, 11:30 PM #15
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
Oh, I worry about my comic.

All the time.

Especially cause I've been doing some changes (with more to come) with stuff in my comic.

One of the first was aging up the child character, Shana, as I'm attempting to keep things in the comic going in real time as it were.

I worried people weren't going to like her appearing older as she was the 'child' character throughout the past few years the comic's been going, and now she's entering her teens. Fortunately, it doesn't seem to have caused much of a ruckus.

A couple other big changes though do worry me, as they will change some other things in the comic a bit, but I guess we'll see how it all goes when I get to them.

13 days ago, 11:48 PM #16
Mothtrap
mouth blood
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
Kelsey -Nutty- P.:Whether my characters are LIKEable.

See I avoided this by going straight in with all nasty DISlikeable characters ;)
Some people really hate my protagonist but mostly he provokes mixed feelings

I worry about so so much. But I am an anxious bean. Always have been.

So I just soldier on and do my best!

Heck yeah power through it! I used to be pretty anxious about sharing my comic but that's mostly gone away now :>
12 days ago, 12:21 AM #17
Wartooth

Registration date: 23rd Mar 2017
I worry that my story is going to suck. I think it's super great and I consider it a masterpiece. However I only have had 2 people willing to read the script beginning to end and they didn't have any suggestions to change anything. Not a single thing. Therefore, I think they just don't want to hurt my feelings or complicate things by making me rework the script.

I feel like I am riding this out until it comes to that one part where someone brings up an inconsistency or plot-hole that's too deep in to fix. I already have people analyzing every TINY detail in every page and I don't want them to be the first one to find a plot issue...
12 days ago, 12:30 AM #18
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
My methodoligy is to wing it and just see what happens. Even proffsionals do things that grind my gutters, like Masashi Kishimoto doing my most hated gripe, making the main character the most important in the universe.

My advice, do what you love, and accept advice. The only thing more important that learning from mistakes is making mistakes to learn from in the first place.
12 days ago, 12:43 AM #19
moonfixer

Registration date: 28th Jun 2018
I worry about many things regarding my comic. Lol. Two big ones are:

1. How people will react to my next strip. (not a huge deal but it is in the back of my mind)
2. How long can I keep uploading twice a week given my work schedule and other responsibilities. (so far so good though)
12 days ago, 12:54 AM #20
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Location: , location -- they say it's important. But where you are can be gone, in the smallest of moments. When breath it gets ragged, when the blood won't stay in... I fought death for your love -- I couldn't possibly win.
I wish I'd thought of my lead character's new superhero name before making the comic and getting seven years of scripts ahead of the current arc. I'm really straining in my head to make it all work without being confusing.
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > webcomic worries
Pages: [1] [2] [3]