Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Scroll Style VS. Pages

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Scroll Style VS. Pages
Pages: [1] [2]

"Scroll Style VS. Pages", 11th Oct 2018, 12:16 AM #1
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
I realize I'm asking a bit of a skewed audience here... But, how do you all feel about the scroll style format of a lot of webcomics?

I have one comic in pages, and one that is in a scroll style. Personally, I like both for different reasons.
Obviously, each scroll style update takes a lot more time. It just has more content to it, and to scroll around all over to do all the sketch, then the lines, then color, it ends up being quite a bit of work versus just having it all right there on the smaller page. I also think page styles can offer a lot of fun things, reaching out of the frame and into another one, the way you can have a composition of the page separate from the panels, all sorts of stuff.

However! I think Scroll style offers some pretty cool options too. For instance, you can have one frame kind of meld into another one, or you could have someone jump off a building and we kind of scroll as they fall... I think it makes pacing a lot easier, AND you don't need to worry about the formatting or panel shapes so much. You know exactly which way it will be read! But, you would need to re-format if you wanted to print it, and it makes it difficult to go back and find things or re read.

I know pretty much everyone here is working in pages so I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this!
11th Oct 2018, 12:49 AM #2
moonfixer

Registration date: 28th Jun 2018
I think vertical scrolling can work very well. I use it to hide the punchline of my comic's jokes until the reader scrills down. I like the page style as well, I think it will be more appropiate for my next project.
11th Oct 2018, 12:57 AM #3
keiiii

Registration date: 4th Jul 2014
Speaking as someone who does a vertical scroll comic, has done page style comics, and reads comics in both formats...! Each format has its own pros, cons and challenges. (I will fyte anyone who says vertical comic takes "no paneling skills.") Vertical comics are usually less confusing to read, but page style comics that are done well aren't confusing, either. And there are lots of vertical comics that are kinda meh with their composition, but again, well-done vertical comics can be very dynamic and visually engaging!

Whatever format you go with, avoid the pitfalls and take advantage of what you've chosen! :D
11th Oct 2018, 2:59 PM #4
ratt
and who could forget dear ratboy
Registration date: 25th Feb 2014
Ummmm I understand the appeal of the scroll style for people who are reading on smaller screens and I agree that you can play with creating interesting effects with it but I dunno. I like pages.
I will say though that despite this I've grown to have a strong preference for reading page layout comics on tapas because I'm lazy and it scrolls and I don't like hitting next all the time
11th Oct 2018, 4:00 PM #5
Bobblit
I DON'T REGRET IT THOUGH
Registration date: 5th Apr 2016
I'm a lot more used to comics in pages, but I think the scroll style fits screens much better. It's much easier to read on them. Also, you don't need to worry about panel placement if you don't want to.
One thing that I hate, though, is when there is way too much space between panels. That just drives me insane, it breaks the story flow for me (unless it's done sparsely and for dramatic effect, that can work well). Possibly for a medium like the internet the best style is a mix of both things, so that you can have composed panels like in a page but in small batches that you scroll down.
11th Oct 2018, 5:01 PM #6
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
I don't mind either, I read and create both, so shrug.

Single panel per page comics, though, don't get me started. Just impossible to get a flowing read, and gives me a sore mouse finger.
11th Oct 2018, 10:07 PM #7
GabbyGood
will die on Dec 14th 2021, 3:25 PM
Registration date: 9th Nov 2014
Some scroll style comics on Tapas piss me off because it’s mostly a floating head and some dialogue and nothing more. At least modest attempts at backgrounds are better IMO. But I’ve personally done both scroll and page style. My only beef would be printing formats. It would be annoying to convert all your pages if you decided to print.

I chose to go scrolling style after dabbling in pages because I just like the way it reads plus you can really set up some good atmosphere and tension depending on your comic.

Avy by AngryRob
11th Oct 2018, 10:11 PM #8
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I may be biased, since I tend to read most webcomics here, and hardly ever on Tapas so it may have influenced me. I just prefer page style layouts. It's hard to describe, I just like to feel like I'm reading a comic book even if it's on a screen, if that makes sense. The scroll format doesn't stop me enjoying something I like, but I do just tend to be pulled more towards page layouts. I like planning my own pages that way too.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
11th Oct 2018, 11:16 PM #9
MJThornton

Registration date: 8th Nov 2015
Personally I'm not into scroll style. I want to spend some cash and get a nice glossy professionally printed book out of my comic someday and I can't see scroll style fitting. I guess it could make a cool poster or something instead.

I use OpenCanvas 6 and my original files end up like 130+mb just doing pages. Plus if you screw up a scroll file or corrupt one now you're losing multiple pages of progress. With my pages taking upwards of 12+ hours a page I would be devastated!
11th Oct 2018, 11:21 PM #10
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
I hate scrolling.

Print is dying.

Phones are ubiquitous.

Scrolling is the future.

I am dinosaur, and the future is a meteor which is slowly crashing down upon my world.
12th Oct 2018, 12:43 AM #11
LeRenardRoux
Scrabble Loser 🦊
Registration date: 27th Jul 2013
Location: at the bottom of a stair whose top is invisible with light
I'm so close to completing the thumbnails for new comic and my plan is to draw the whole thing at 600 dpi as though for print, post it on CF page style, and then chop it up for Tapas? Not sure if this is insane?

e: I say "as though for print" by which I mean my plan is ultimately to print it uh
"To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."
12th Oct 2018, 1:19 AM #12
BeeMKay

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2017
I'm using the classic style here and on Smackjeeves as mirror, and have "converted" the Demon Division page style to scrolling style for Webtoons and Tapas (mirror).

Personally, since I'm an old school comic fan, I prefer the classic page style. But I've tried that on my smartphone, and there, having the scrolling style really helps readability and gives a better experience.
Also, if your target audience is mostly in the group of smartphone using people, taking on a scrolling style would probably help reaching more people.

Each style has its advantages and disadvantages. What I like about the scrolling style is that you can have bigger versions of an image. I generally have one panel+text per page for scrolldown, combining several pages for an episode. What I like about page style is that you have a different sort of tension, as your eyes follow what is on the page, skimming from one panel to the next, while at the same time taking in the appearance of the page as a whole before you start reading. The important parts jump straight into your eyes by panel size other methods. With scrolling style, you are bound to scroll down and see what is happening, so each panel has to make you want to scroll further down... while with page style it's several panels with a focus on the last panel of a page.
What I did notice during transferring panels between styles is that panels intended for page style usually do not work as good as scolling panels, because of the aforementioned tension issues. It would probably be better to rework everything for a proper version... but I'm struggling as it is.
The biggest advantage for a page style would be that you are "ready for print". I recently put the pages of Division into a photo book for printout (needed for offline reference to show people, for example on a convention), and that worked smoothly. I'm now waiting for the result of that printing endeavor. If you are doing scrolling style, you'd first have to put the pages together into something that would work for a page-style oriented reader.
12th Oct 2018, 1:21 AM #13
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
I don't like scrolling but will tolerate it for stories I like. An amusing thought of mine is if a scroll-y comic makes it in print, it will be a literal scroll from the Greek/Biblical era. It would be kinda cool to read comics in that uber retro format.
12th Oct 2018, 1:39 PM #14
Microraptor
the only safe place is the top shelf
Registration date: 19th Apr 2014
Both have their pros and cons.

For example, shorter pages are better to binge.
But on the other hand, pages were you have to scroll to see them in their entirety work better for "last panel surprises".
12th Oct 2018, 1:48 PM #15
MST3KFan

Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
I find scrolling a bit irritating as some artists get carried away with it for what I believe is to "build suspense". But when I'm scrolling...scrolling...SCROLLING to get to the next panel. I get bored very quickly.

And given I've been reading webcomics by people on their own individual webcomic sites where they do pages like the normal page style, and my own comic is done this way, I might be a bit biased.

In the long run though, I'd rather just have the comic all right in front of me in a page than a lengthy scrolling.

Oh, and I attempted to put my comic on Webtoons some time ago, but when I realized I pretty much HAD to cut my pages into scroll style, I gave up on that super quick.

12th Oct 2018, 2:28 PM #16
Jessie Blue
rivaling gator
Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
GabbyGood:Some scroll style comics on Tapas piss me off because it’s mostly a floating head and some dialogue and nothing more. At least modest attempts at backgrounds are better IMO.

Yes this! I tend to avoid Tapas because it seems like a lot of comics there are just trying to fill up a long space by staggering everything way out. I started reading a boys love story that is very cute, but is also kind of pissing me off how much empty space there is (and how often there is just a few words of dialog and reaction shots).

That said, my gators art school comic I am doing sort of scroll style, just not hugely long, and I can see how much faster it goes to make.
13th Oct 2018, 8:33 PM #17
Green Wyvern

Registration date: 12th Oct 2013
I do prefer the 'page' formatting, but that may be just a visual thing.
13th Oct 2018, 8:53 PM #18
Miaubol
Cat Queen
Registration date: 7th Sep 2014
I've done as well as read comics in both formats. But while the scroll type is fun to do, I must admit that I like the traditional comic page format better.

The classic page is way less time consuming to navigate through (as well as more hand friendly), I just have to do one click (and perhaps a little scrolling on small screens) instead of click and then scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll-scroll. The classic page also reads more easily, since I'm able to see several panels or even all panels at once, which provides context and overview. With a scroll page where I see just one panel at the time with time delays in between, it feels like reading through a key hole (imagine reading a book where you can only see few words at a time instead of the entire page). Seeing all panels at once on the classic page makes them nicely add up to each other to a visually pleasing whole, an effect which you don't have to the same degree with a scroll page. Finally, should I need to go back to earlier pages in order to search for something, that's easy with classic pages, but a nightmare with scroll pages.

At the other hand, when done right, the scroll page can have a very vivid dynamic (the vertical motion), which is difficult or impossible to get to the same degree with a classic page. A classic page may also be too spoilery when the reader sees everything right away, the surprise effect is gone.
13th Oct 2018, 9:10 PM #19
Leafa
noticed 🐈
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
E-hero Vulven:I don't like scrolling but will tolerate it for stories I like. An amusing thought of mine is if a scroll-y comic makes it in print, it will be a literal scroll from the Greek/Biblical era. It would be kinda cool to read comics in that uber retro format.

You joke, but one of my favourite comic (The Firelight Isle) actually did that as a kickstarter reward! The book has the spine on the short edge to allow space for the vertical comics, which I'm being totally honest is actually fairly difficult to read but it's still a very cool book.

As a reward you could get the whole comic as a scroll, and comic pages as SCARVES.

I think I'm genuinely not fussed about which style I read, so long a it is done well. As a creator I'm more used to page-style comics and learning how to create vertical scroll comics feels like "starting again", but I think one day I'll probably give one a go.

I do have something planned for Earth in a Pocket which will require a lot of vertical scrolling, so watch out for that I guess ;D
14th Oct 2018, 1:34 AM #20
PeterVonBrown

Registration date: 7th Jan 2016
Generally I'm more a fan of pages. But I do see how and why scrolling can be effective. It's like when movies went to color from black and white. Directors were resistant at first because they had a set way of using shadow and light to convey moods and such which color negated. Scrolling comics are similar because they open up a whole new way of conveying information/action that regular pages don't allow. So it takes skill to understand and utilize the format. One isn't better than the other, it's just a new method of presenting.

I think I prefer pages only because it's what I'm used to, having grown up with it. I'm like the directors who already have a command of the medium in one form.

The only real drawback I can see to scrolling: much more difficult to bring to a printed form with the same effectiveness.