Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - UN states we have 12 years to fix Global Warming before the damage to earth becomes irreversible

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > UN states we have 12 years to fix Global Warming before the damage to earth becomes irreversible
Pages: [1] [2] [3]

"UN states we have 12 years to fix Global Warming before the damage to earth becomes irreversible", 11th Oct 2018, 10:54 PM #1
mightguy15

Registration date: 24th Sep 2018
https://bigthink.com/politics-current-affairs/scary-un-climate-change-report

I know this is random af, but I just wanted to hear opinions on this. Learned this information from the Humanist Report and it has me pretty paraniod
11th Oct 2018, 11:00 PM #2
JammyTheBirb
Birb is the Worb
Registration date: 17th Aug 2012
I've been worrying about it nonstop for the past few days. Gotta be frank, I'm trying to work on my mental health at the moment, and news on global warming is inescapbable. It terrifies me that the people who actually have the power to make the big changes aren't doing anything.

Twitter --- Tumblr --- Deviantart
11th Oct 2018, 11:13 PM #3
mightguy15

Same man, its so bad on my end I have trouble sleeping. I cant belive there are people who are ok with screwing the earth up like this, and I knew those powerful hurricanes we have been having were not a coincidence.

I certainly know how I am voting in November and thank god Trump only has 1 more year *theres no way hes winning reelection.*

Bernie Sanders stated he wants investment into alternative fuels and reversing agents, and Im already a huge environment hippie. I certainly hope we can get on track with this, because I find the prospect of killing off reefs and making the equator uninhabitable scary. Not even to mention the storms and flooding, and only in 12 years......
11th Oct 2018, 11:16 PM #4
MistakeNPotatoes
What a guy!
Registration date: 3rd Aug 2014
The development of the political climate both here in the states and abroad has left me lethargic and in a more intense depressed state than usual. I find it difficult to have faith in humans anymore.
11th Oct 2018, 11:25 PM #5
Fluffythespider
Governor
Registration date: 31st Aug 2014
It's more than possible that we could pull together and at least minimize the damage, but unless governments involved, I really doubt it's going to happen on an individual basis. At this point some of the effects are probably going to happen no matter what, I think a lot of people are going to end up moving when their homes become uninhabitable.

It really annoys me that people are letting their agendas and beliefs cloud their judgement against scientific warnings like this. Even if you don't give a shit about the environment, you should still realize that having extreme weather and the land flooding and changing drastically will affect your life negatively.

I dunno, I do what I can to be green and vote, but other than that there's not much I can do so I try not to worry too much.
12th Oct 2018, 2:01 AM #6
loyaldog
on complicated terms with man
Registration date: 14th Feb 2017
I have no idea how to cope with climate news anymore. I mean, there's all the stuff you can do on a personal level, but it never really makes the feeling of helplessness go away. It doesn't seem to change anything. At this point, I'm just trying to distract myself so I can get through each day.

For some reason, it's comforting to know that most people (at least, most of the people I like) feel the same way. We're all scared.
12th Oct 2018, 2:27 AM #7
mightguy15

Fluffythespider:It's more than possible that we could pull together and at least minimize the damage, but unless governments involved, I really doubt it's going to happen on an individual basis. At this point some of the effects are probably going to happen no matter what, I think a lot of people are going to end up moving when their homes become uninhabitable.

It really annoys me that people are letting their agendas and beliefs cloud their judgement against scientific warnings like this. Even if you don't give a shit about the environment, you should still realize that having extreme weather and the land flooding and changing drastically will affect your life negatively.

I dunno, I do what I can to be green and vote, but other than that there's not much I can do so I try not to worry too much.

^^Facts I try not to let it bother me either, but it keeps finding a way to get to me, lol. To be fair, I never really took global warming to heart that much, but that bit about the damage being irreversible keeps eating me alive. It saddens me how bad for this planet some of us are, how other animals are gonna have to suffer for that, and how we KNOW this information and do nothing to change. And to be honest, its even hard to begin to know HOW we would even go about handling this.

Its not like im in a position to tell people miles away from their work to just walk, and I certainly dont believe our military should go away. Its just so depressing that this inevitable demise of our planet is coming so soon, and its even more depressing because once we fuk this planet up, where the hell will we go then?

Merged Doublepost:

loyaldog:I have no idea how to cope with climate news anymore. I mean, there's all the stuff you can do on a personal level, but it never really makes the feeling of helplessness go away. It doesn't seem to change anything. At this point, I'm just trying to distract myself so I can get through each day.

For some reason, it's comforting to know that most people (at least, most of the people I like) feel the same way. We're all scared.

I feel you on that completely man, a Lovecraftian level of helplessness in knowing that there is nothing we can do about it. The good news is as this info developed, I read somewhere that China is even beginning to start operating nuclear plants to get rid of the coal plants. If China, of all places, CHINA is willing to step up thier e game I know other countries will follow.

Thats one thing I can always appreciate in our species, we fuck up, for sure, but when things get bad at least we always try to fight for the greater good no matter the damage. Regardless of how everthing ends up, I guess you and I should count ourselves lucky we are from a generation that lived on this planet before we had these problems.
12th Oct 2018, 4:06 AM #8
DizzasterJuice

Registration date: 18th Sep 2013
The tundra makes up about 20% of the Earth's surface. Within the permafrost is about 1400 gigatons of frozen carbons like Carbon Dioxide CO2 and Methane CH4. Currently there is about 850 gigatons of carbon in our atmosphere. It is hard to determine how much of these carbons would end up in the atmosphere if the permafrost melted. Estimates are 100 - 200 gigatons which would cause up to 0.5°C (up to 0.9°F) extra warming. This event is considered "the point of no return" because it would cause a domino effect, warming the permafrost and releasing more carbons.

When will this happen? Most estimates predict that it will start no sooner than sometime around 2040 and be completely melted by 2100 but would continue to release carbon into the atmosphere until 2200. There are so many variables in trying to calculate the melt down that it is not an exact science.

We have a little more time than 12 years to fix this, but not much. We have to figure out a solution now, but the problem is that it is a global issue.

1. Deforestation - Malaysia, Paraguay, Indonesia, Guatemala, Cambodia, Nicaragua, Finland, Sweden, Portugal, and Laos are the countries with highest deforestation rate in the world. Deforestation not only eliminates the Earth's ability to absorb carbons but also accounts for up to 20 percent of the global greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming. There is currently no legally binding agreements to stop this.

2. Carbon dioxide emissions - China at over 10 mil kt is responsible for almost a third of the world's emissions, and over twice as much as the U.S. The Paris Climate Agreement did not have China to take any steps of compliance until 2030 and after 2030 it would allow them to continue polluting for another 20 years until they got the the rate where the U.S. is now.
12th Oct 2018, 4:54 AM #9
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
mightguy15: Nuclear plants > Coal plants

I was willing to let "United Nations States" slide but...what? I'd say both plant types are bad for the environment. People need to set up solar panels and wind turbines in deserts instead. Personally, I enjoy warm seasons over cold ones. Mother Nature will have to think twice if she thinks humans can be exterminated so easily by something other than themselves, except for aliens.
12th Oct 2018, 5:40 AM #10
Fluffythespider
Governor
I'd look forward to no winter, but it doesn't quite work that way. From what I can dig up it seems like we're in for more extreme weather, not milder weather, like awful hurricanes, biomes turning into deserts, extreme weather, flooding, etc. Even more snow in the winter, in some cases. I'd much rather have nuclear energy than coal, because while they are both dangerous, coal contributes to global warming much more.

Most of the species that have ever lived on earth are now extinct, and just because humans are very smart doesn't mean we're immune to it. Now I don't think humans will be completely wiped out, but I wouldn't be surprised if starvation and fleeing uninhabitable areas resulted. I don't know how bad things will get, but there's a chance that they will get horrible. I've searched for optimistic predictions, but most of them aren't. It's hard to speculate.

Anyhow, I hear they're looking for people to join the Mars mission. Maybe that's the way to go if things on Earth get too bad.
12th Oct 2018, 6:31 AM #11
Vladimara

Registration date: 6th Mar 2018
The corporations who are flooding the earth with greenhouse gasses are only going to stop when it becomes profitable to switch to other methods. In other words, when they either go out of business or it's well too late to stop the damage because It's already been caused.
12th Oct 2018, 6:50 AM #12
swamp
Min-Pin Kingpin
Registration date: 8th Feb 2017
There's a bill in my area to reduce emissions.
There's also a commercial about the bill is actually designed to give corporations a pass and people should shut it down. The ad felt a little off to me, so I did my own research and.... the commercial is paid for.... by corporations who don't want emissions limits.
It's bad my dude.
12th Oct 2018, 7:40 AM #13
Bear

Registration date: 6th Dec 2011
Fluffythespider:It's more than possible that we could pull together and at least minimize the damage, but unless governments involved, I really doubt it's going to happen on an individual basis. At this point some of the effects are probably going to happen no matter what, I think a lot of people are going to end up moving when their homes become uninhabitable.
you should still realize that having extreme weather and the land flooding and changing drastically will affect your life negatively.

Hmmm.... yeah. Just think of the current state of refugee people around the planet. We already have crazy stuff going on, as people get more 'fascist' about everything - Trump has thousands of kids in camps . May has been sending people who have been living in Britain for 50 years or more "back" because someone has lost lots of paperwork. Boats are being turned back in the Med' and often sinking, killing their occupants....and loads more examples.

Now multiply that by...well 'exponentiality' really...er...yes "a lot of people are going to end up moving " er likely be stuck in camps, as authorities clamp down on free movement, amid strife and struggle over resources .
And not just those countries we might associate with draconian measures.

Imagine Florida goes under - who's going to house all those refugees ? Look at the "wonderful" job the USA did with New Orleans...and more recently with Puerto Rico . Ramp up the intensity and regularity of those hurricanes/ cyclones. Then what ?

Even starting off "quietly", with houses and workplaces flooded/ knocked down/ blown away...time after time, to the point where insurance companies won't pay out any more - or more likely go bust. Crops ruined by wind, flooding, rain. Chemicals washed out 'safe storage' and polluting anything in sight . Infrastructure damaged/ destroyed . Whole areas deemed uninhabitable to an excess of [select disaster of choice ], compared to the previous 'normal' weather fickleness. It looks dire .

I've been getting the horrible feeling, this past few years, that our stupid governments know more than they're telling and have taken the "just keep walking" option (until we fall off the cliff), because they know it's too late. You know, the old "Let's avoid mass hysteria" line .

...or am I just paranoid ? I DO feel very 'lucky' to be old - I'll miss most of it. But my kids and grand-kids won't ! I'm still very emotionally tired and worn down, by decades of moaning to deaf ears, about deep breath CFCs (O.K. they did sort that); greenhouse gases (NOT just CO2); plastics ; fossil fuels overall, but especially Coal and CSG Fracking ; the general throw-away mentality ( look at cellphones, for e.g.)...and so much more .

...and still I try to be optimistic, even though it's not easy . There IS the fact that many in business and industry are working stuff out for themselves - many businesses are switching to renewable energy, if only for cost-effectiveness, and many banks and fund managers will no longer bankroll new coal plants or mines, etc.
Unfortunately i'd have to say "Forget voting" - often the "Choice" isn't one, with both sides copping the old "brown envelope$" from fossil fools - but DO support companies that are responsible ( i.e. NOT Coke, nor Pepsi, etc.) if/ when you have the chance !

B-)

Merged Doublepost:

Fluffythespider:I'd look forward to no winter, but it doesn't quite work that way. From what I can dig up it seems like we're in for more extreme weather, not milder weather, like awful hurricanes, biomes turning into deserts, extreme weather, flooding, etc. Even more snow in the winter, in some cases. I'd much rather have nuclear energy than coal, because while they are both dangerous, coal contributes to global warming much more.

Most of the species that have ever lived on earth are now extinct, and just because humans are very smart doesn't mean we're immune to it. Now I don't think humans will be completely wiped out, but I wouldn't be surprised if starvation and fleeing uninhabitable areas resulted. I don't know how bad things will get, but there's a chance that they will get horrible. I've searched for optimistic predictions, but most of them aren't. It's hard to speculate.

Anyhow, I hear they're looking for people to join the Mars mission. Maybe that's the way to go if things on Earth get too bad.

ER, yeah, it doesn't work like that. And the Mars idea is just crap, for a dozen reasons . Half-arsed ideas about Terra-forming the place, for e.g.- Um.... wouldn't it be easier to "Terra-form" Earth back into somewhere habitable ?

Anyway, here's an URL for a'jolly' map of our Earth at + 4 C
https://www.paragkhanna.com/home/2016/3/9/the-world-4-degrees-warmer

Merged Doublepost:

E-hero Vulven:I was willing to let "United Nations States" slide but...what? I'd say both plant types are bad for the environment. People need to set up solar panels and wind turbines in deserts instead. Personally, I enjoy warm seasons over cold ones. Mother Nature will have to think twice if she thinks humans can be exterminated so easily by something other than themselves, except for aliens.

Haha ! I DO admire your confidence. When the super-volcano TOBA went off (look it up), it reduced humanity toi less than 1 million (some scientists say 1-hundred-thousand !).
Yellowstone is of similar magnitude...if it goes off (and it's 'due') to that extent, most of the USA would kiss its arse goodbye.....ditto for the Eastern Med/ Middle East, if the Italy/Sicily one goes. And there are others - the Siberian one could do similar - but in fairness to it, it DID bring us out of the "Snowball Earth" freeze-up, millions of years back/
In any of these events, we would have a "nuclear winter" scenario, and humanity would be decimated.

Anyway,let's keep our fingers X'd, and hope it's "just us" wreaking havoc B-)
12th Oct 2018, 12:30 PM #14
mightguy15

DizzasterJuice:The tundra makes up about 20% of the Earth's surface. Within the permafrost is about 1400 gigatons of frozen carbons like Carbon Dioxide CO2 and Methane CH4. Currently there is about 850 gigatons of carbon in our atmosphere. It is hard to determine how much of these carbons would end up in the atmosphere if the permafrost melted. Estimates are 100 - 200 gigatons which would cause up to 0.5°C (up to 0.9°F) extra warming. This event is considered "the point of no return" because it would cause a domino effect, warming the permafrost and releasing more carbons.

When will this happen? Most estimates predict that it will start no sooner than sometime around 2040 and be completely melted by 2100 but would continue to release carbon into the atmosphere until 2200. There are so many variables in trying to calculate the melt down that it is not an exact science.

We have a little more time than 12 years to fix this, but not much. We have to figure out a solution now, but the problem is that it is a global issue.

1. Deforestation - Malaysia, Paraguay, Indonesia, Guatemala, Cambodia, Nicaragua, Finland, Sweden, Portugal, and Laos are the countries with highest deforestation rate in the world. Deforestation not only eliminates the Earth's ability to absorb carbons but also accounts for up to 20 percent of the global greenhouse gas emissions that contribute to global warming. There is currently no legally binding agreements to stop this.

2. Carbon dioxide emissions - China at over 10 mil kt is responsible for almost a third of the world's emissions, and over twice as much as the U.S. The Paris Climate Agreement did not have China to take any steps of compliance until 2030 and after 2030 it would allow them to continue polluting for another 20 years until they got the the rate where the U.S. is now.

Thanks for that info, the details were a bit of a mystery to me and this comment really helped to clear things up. whats your opnion on this? Do you think its possible everyone will get thier act together, or should we start kissing the earth as we know it goodbye?
12th Oct 2018, 5:16 PM #15
Taily
Environment Knight
Registration date: 9th Mar 2010
Hey!
Environmental scientist here, with some suggestions on how to deal with ecoanxiety.
First off, know that it's real! Tons of people are affected by it, myself formerly included. Once I began studying envirosci it finally began to alleviate, because devoting myself to research helped me out mentally in a profound way. Just know that you are not alone in your feelings, and that you should talk about this. Talking helps.
Secondly, and here's what I'm really here to proselytize:
If you are able to, get involved with local volunteer work, like habitat restoration events or park clean-up events. (This is what I did full-time at my last job! You can actually get paid for this if you want to make the commitment; AmeriCorps has many entry-level programs you can apply to.) Look up your local SER chapter (Society for Ecological Restoration) to find weed-pulling and tree-planting events in your area. Most of the time these events are held on weekends, to make them as accessible as possible, and as far as I know they're always free.
This stuff truly makes a difference, both for the community and for the individual engaging in volunteering. When you restore ecosystems, you provide habitat for wildlife, you help purify the air and the water, you increase biodiversity (and with it, the land's resilience to climate change), and you benefit the human communities around and within those ecosystems by giving them more access to green space. There is evidence that increased canopy cover in cities correlates with lower crime rates. Restoration matters in ways you might not even anticipate.
On an individual level, volunteering will make you feel like you're making a difference in an active way. It's a very different feeling from the one you get when you, say, turn all the lights off before leaving the home - which is an important action that we should all take, but not one that you can literally see the impacts of immediately. When you remove a big patch of invasive plants, though... man! It's great. You can see your handiwork with your own two eyes, you can feel your muscles burn as proof of your hard and devoted labor, and when you're working with a team of people, you can transform an entire landscape in just a day. Doing this as my job renewed my faith in the power of human beings to come together and heal some of the damage we have done to Earth, and I think that if more people volunteered, there would be less ecoanxiety in the world.
There would also be more sculpted butts, because if there's one thing I learned doing restoration ecology, it's that squats are a big part of it.
12th Oct 2018, 5:47 PM #16
MST3KFan

Unfortunately, even with this warning people/companies/businesses won't care.

The way I've seen things with society nowadays, people only care about something if it effects them directly. Right here. Right NOW.

So the environment issue won't be a concern to many until something insane happens, like Florida being completely engulfed by the ocean due to the tides rising from melting polar ice caps.

12th Oct 2018, 6:00 PM #17
ewolf20

Registration date: 8th Feb 2014
i've grown so cynical about shit like this that we might as well go the way of the dinosaurs. not with a bang but a whimper. people may insist we can make it to the stars but how is that possible without redoing ourselves and our tech to do so?

we'll end up looking like this

rather than this

and that's if we don't become extinct since then. we insist we can prevail but nature says otherwise. earth has dealt with so much shit that humans are just a bad case of fleas.
12th Oct 2018, 6:49 PM #18
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
It sucks that a company can practically name itself "Rainforest Co." and still be the worst polluter on Earth. Case in point, Amazon.com.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/17/greenpeace-blasts-amazon-over-poor-environmental-practices/

Companies should be forced to change their brand to reflect their environmental record. Thus Amazon.com becomes Garbage.com. At least enforce the same treatment that cigarette companies get, forced to advertise their cancerousness in plain black & white.
12th Oct 2018, 9:41 PM #19
...(RockB)

Registration date: 7th Jul 2016
Thank you, everybody!

mightguy15:...

Bernie Sanders stated he wants investment into alternative fuels and reversing agents, and Im already a huge environment hippie. I certainly hope we can get on track with this, because I find the prospect of killing off reefs and making the equator uninhabitable scary. Not even to mention the storms and flooding, and only in 12 years......

Will he be available? I can't vote for him but he would be my favorite by far, even nature seems to be on his side.

(Can anyone imagine a bird landing on the podium where Trump is doing a speech, him reacting in a positive way to the event and people cheering?)

Sadly, the next president of the U.S.A. will inherit all of Trump's fuck-ups and will probably be blamed for "making things worse".

But, only 12 years :-( Even with China (somewhat) on board (for their own reasons)... Given the global political situation as it is now, I have not so much hope that this will work in time.

Btw, today a colleague of mine mentioned an increase of 1.5°C of earth's average temperature is already unavoidable now. He said it will kill 30% of animals (species in the wild?) and 60% of the Great Barrier Reef. We are already in hot water, so to say, pun somewhat intended.
12th Oct 2018, 11:24 PM #20
mightguy15

Well as far as Bernie Sanders goes, he is running against Trump in 2020, and my opinion of the american public will really be in the toilet if they let Trump win the election AGAIN. I really do wish you could vote for him, he needs all the support he could get lol, hes pretty much the forerunning of humanitarian efforts here *He got amazon to pay employees 15 bucks an hour starting!*

As for those staticstics, yeah things are pretty bad, but the U.N. stated that getting our business together on track is not impossible and in fact is completely reasonable. A mere 100 companies are responsible for 75 percent of the CO2 emmissions on this planet, so it isnt completely hopeless.
Forum > General discussion > UN states we have 12 years to fix Global Warming before the damage to earth becomes irreversible
Pages: [1] [2] [3]