Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - The Official Smash Ultimate Hype Thread

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > General discussion > The Official Smash Ultimate Hype Thread
Pages: [1] [2] [3] [4]

"The Official Smash Ultimate Hype Thread", 31st Oct 2018, 11:12 PM #1
Bolderousness
persevered past being called "boulderousness"
Registration date: 24th Aug 2018
As someone who follows Smash Ultimate almost unhealthily, I'm pretty excited for tomorrow's direct.

This is a thread to vent out our hype, theories, predictions, observations, anything about the game.

What I'm most hype about is the notorious Grinch leak going around. If it's true, it'll be the best Smash line up of newcomers ever and I need it to be real.

What are you guys thinking about on Ultimate?

Mothtrap Visions: Seeing is Believing.
31st Oct 2018, 11:56 PM #2
GMan003
I can explain
Registration date: 18th May 2011
I remember the hype train for Brawl. Seemed like every other day, we'd get our minds blown by some newcomer. I don't think Ultimate will match that level of hype - just because going from Melee to Brawl was a huge leap in size, and a game making a similar leap from Smash 4 would have to be absolutely gigantic.

I don't pay attention to leaks. They're almost always fake, in my experience. It's too easy to fabricate stuff. Skimming this "Grinch leak" stuff, it looks pretty suspect to me - just because of the characters. Smash is, in large part, an advertising tool to hype up new characters. Why do you think half the Fire Emblem lineup in Smash4 were from Awakening, the newest game at the time, and DLC added one from Fates, the game after it? So they're not going to dig up characters from relatively ancient, forgotten games like Super Mario RPG, not as playable characters at least. Assist trophy, maybe, but not playable.

I'll still be buying it, of course - I've been smashing since Melee, of course I'm going to buy it. I'm just not going to obsess over it.
1st Nov 2018, 12:25 AM #3
Bolderousness
GMan003:I remember the hype train for Brawl. Seemed like every other day, we'd get our minds blown by some newcomer. I don't think Ultimate will match that level of hype - just because going from Melee to Brawl was a huge leap in size, and a game making a similar leap from Smash 4 would have to be absolutely gigantic.

Nothing really can replicate Brawl's hype. A large part of it was thirst for video content and a large part was an actual adventure mode. Granted, I was around 7 so it's hard to tell what it would feel like nowadays.

I will admit I wasn't really all that hype for Smash 4 compared to Brawl. Part of it was because everyone was chasing after that Gematsu leak and part of it was I was eh to a lot of newcomers. I always looked forward to seeing everyone in HD though.

For Ultimate, we're getting hype big announcements but usually there's a gap in announcements. The only way Brawl's hype can be blown out by Ultimate is if this leak becomes true because three of those characters are on my "I'd like them in" list and I already got King K. Rool.

I don't pay attention to leaks. They're almost always fake, in my experience. It's too easy to fabricate stuff. Skimming this "Grinch leak" stuff, it looks pretty suspect to me - just because of the characters. Smash is, in large part, an advertising tool to hype up new characters. Why do you think half the Fire Emblem lineup in Smash4 were from Awakening, the newest game at the time, and DLC added one from Fates, the game after it? So they're not going to dig up characters from relatively ancient, forgotten games like Super Mario RPG, not as playable characters at least. Assist trophy, maybe, but not playable.

I completely understand your skepticism. Honestly, if this came out in Smash 4, there would be no way in Hell I could believe any of this. But
1) With Cloud in, any third party character can be in at this point. There's no way in Hell I'd believe Geno or Banjo and Kazooie would get in before Smash 4's dlc. Now I can feel slightly more hopeful that Sakurai would pull a super surprise.
2) They are definitely going for past nostalgia for this game. King K Rool and Ridley are pretty popular despite either being neglected or coming from a semi-popular franchise. Their biggest reason for making it in purely was because they were popular choices since, from what I hear, Melee.
3) Sakurai said he's largely taking from the Smash ballot from Smash 4, so that adds a lot for characters like Isaac, Geno, and B&K.

Now I am skeptical. I don't believe this leak 100%.
1) It's too ideal. Geno and B&K are too good of characters to just get all at once. I understand that there's more flexibility now with third parties nowadays, but I still can't believe it. Especially because, as you said, they're both from completely different eras and aren't really part of the modern industry anymore.
2) That is a good point. Pretty much every Smash character revealed so far are now relatively alive and kicking today. Splatoon, Castlevania, Animal Crossing, even Metroid and Donkey Kong are seeing a resurgence.
3) It's a leak. Never trust leaks even if one occasionally gets it right. (Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.)

So I'm not completely sold. I only follow it because that's my dream roster and I'm been dying to hear about any character confirmation for the past month.

I'm just not going to obsess over it.

That's honestly the best way to go about it. I only joined the hype train once K. Rool was announced because I really wanted K. Rool.

1st Nov 2018, 12:35 AM #4
junoro
yesterday, you said junoro
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
Any word on an adventure mode for this game? :'D Any? At all?
1st Nov 2018, 12:43 AM #5
Bolderousness
From what I know, no one remotely respectable leaked anything solid. The best bet is "Spirits" mode being something similar. Subspace is proudly my favorite part of Brawl so I'd love to see another go at it but with more Nintendo-themed enemies.

1st Nov 2018, 12:50 AM #6
GMan003
I can explain
The hype characters for Smash4 all came with the DLC. I mean, yes, Mega Man, awesome, Pac-Man was neat, Villager was long overdue, but that was about it for hype newcomers. But Ryu? Bayonetta? Cloud motherfucking Strife? Now we're talking.

(Speaking of Cloud: a) why the hell is he in here, he's literally never been on a Nintendo console before AFAIK, and b) Smash Bros vs. Dissidia would be a way to get the levels of absurd hype that we got with Brawl. Hell, Nobuo Uematsu did the main theme for Brawl, we got Cloud so we know Square Enix isn't totally against working with Nintendo, and there were plenty of pre-VII Final Fantasies on Nintendo hardware, I could see it happening)

King K Rool and Ridley come from franchises that still see new installments. We got a Metroid Prime 4 announcement at the same time as Smash Ult, and just got a port of Tropical Freeze a few months ago. So even if they're not in the newest games in the series, they're still promoting an active series. This is why we don't see any new F-Zero characters - the series is dead, so they have no reason to push it.

Banjo+Kazooie isn't going to happen because Microsoft owns those rights. I don't even want to know what Microsoft would demand for their pound of flesh. Maybe let them put a Nintendo character into Killer Instinct?

Geno is possible - SMRPG got a rerelease on the SNES Classic, and any rights issues would be with Square who's already on board due to Cloud. But Nintendo's been ignoring that game, preferring to focus on the Paper Mario series. (Then again, Sakurai does seem to be in a "here's everything you could ever want that's actually possible, never make me produce another smash game again" mood)

Merged Doublepost:

junoro:Any word on an adventure mode for this game? :'D Any? At all?

IIRC the last Direct said it was more substantial than Smash 4, but not as big as Subspace Emissary was in Brawl. So maybe along the lines of Melee's adventure mode?

Edit:

Unrelated to above, but I still think a monolithic release is the wrong way to do Smash on modern consoles.

What they SHOULD have done is make Smash "free-to-play" on the Switch (but substantially different than what that normally means). Buy a Switch, you get Smash, with like a half-dozen characters (say, Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, DK, and Samus, plus Miis?). Then, every first or second party game, and any third-party games that want to, can add a new character, a new stage or two, and some items and junk. These are free with the game, or an amiibo, but can be bought separately as DLC at a reasonable price. So three ways to get the character, two of which cost the player nothing extra.

As a third-party dev, you would make the models and animations and such, and do the initial balancing, but would have to hand all that over as part of certification for the platform. That way, the post-release maintenance team can do balance patches and bugfixes. Because I just know everyone would try to make their character stupidly strong to get every competitive Smasher to buy their game. It's what I would do :D

And that would certainly make every third-party dev port their games to Switch, pronto, because this would boost sales like wildfire. Everyone shrugged at Skyrim on Switch... but put the Dragonborn in Smash, now we're talking. And this would make Smash a GLORIOUS mess.

They could even include bonuses with Virtual Console titles, to make it justifiable to spend $10 on a Super Nintendo game (and also actually do a Virtual Console, rather than this subscription nonsense). Get some assist trophies, reskins, some Mii parts, maybe a stage with it, and that might make it palatable to spend that much money on a game older than most Nintendo players these days.

But, sadly, Nintendo's sticking to their old "make a game and sell it" model. Which, okay, is a very good model, and I wish a lot of other devs would go back to it, but Smash is the best opportunity to really dive into the game-as-a-platform rolling-release paradigm.
1st Nov 2018, 1:22 AM #7
Bolderousness
GMan003:The hype characters for Smash4 all came with the DLC. I mean, yes, Mega Man, awesome, Pac-Man was neat, Villager was long overdue, but that was about it for hype newcomers. But Ryu? Bayonetta? Cloud motherfucking Strife? Now we're talking.

You're not wrong, but we've gotten way more considerably hype characters with Ultimate's five newcomers (not including echoes) than six of the first newcomers in Smash 4. Hell, look at Echoes. We got Chrom, Dark Samus, and Daisy. Those characters had their own followings so Sakurai is listening. There's clearly more of a hype focus going on with this game.

(Speaking of Cloud: a) why the hell is he in here, he's literally never been on a Nintendo console before AFAIK, and b) Smash Bros vs. Dissidia would be a way to get the levels of absurd hype that we got with Brawl. Hell, Nobuo Uematsu did the main theme for Brawl, we got Cloud so we know Square Enix isn't totally against working with Nintendo, and there were plenty of pre-VII Final Fantasies on Nintendo hardware, I could see it happening)

I've never played Dissidia, but that would be a good way to get me to play it.

King K Rool and Ridley come from franchises that still see new installments. We got a Metroid Prime 4 announcement at the same time as Smash Ult, and just got a port of Tropical Freeze a few months ago. So even if they're not in the newest games in the series, they're still promoting an active series. This is why we don't see any new F-Zero characters - the series is dead, so they have no reason to push it.

Yes, but they definitely would not have made it in without a tirelessly dedicated following. Plus I think after Smash 4, Sakurai now knows how to make any character work so I think that practice is good to put Ridley in, despite claiming he's too big, or King K Rool, who was just forgotten and apparently didn't have moveset potential according to him.

This transitions to Geno, who Sakurai not only mentioned wanting him in Smash Bros, but also got, like you said, has Square's cooperation for shit like Final Fantasy games on Switch, Super Mario RPG on the SNES Classic apparently, and the Geno mii costume in Smash 4. Geno is also one of the notorious three from Melee days, who were apparently Ridley and K. Rool.

Banjo+Kazooie isn't going to happen because Microsoft owns those rights. I don't even want to know what Microsoft would demand for their pound of flesh. Maybe let them put a Nintendo character into Killer Instinct?

So Banjo & Kazooie are definitely the least likely characters for me to believe. I mean, not only does Microsoft keep shit locked, but also they're just sadly not relevant anymore.

Now I admit I'm ignorant on the business side of video games, but didn't people believe characters like Cloud and Snake were foregone conclusions due to their company histories? Like Square and Nintendo, if I remember correctly, had a bad break up back in the nineties and Konami had its own share of corporate notoriety involving pachinko machines. Microsoft is okay with working somewhat with Nintendo if Minecraft being on the Switch says anything. Nintendo, or at least Sakurai, remembers Banjo and Kazooie with the brown and red color scheme for Duck Hunt meant anything. I think it's not impossible for them to be in this game.

Plus if you wanna go real tin-foil theorist, Phil Spencer has vocalized an interest in having Banjo & Kazooie in Smash on his twitter and apparently met with Sakurai at E3. Following that meeting, Sakurai had to leave early. Many speculate it has to do with him beginning work on Banjo immediately, implying he's a late addition to the roster.

E: It's also B&K's 20th aniversary. Maybe Microsoft has something planned for them as well.

Merged Doublepost:

GMan003:Unrelated to above, but I still think a monolithic release is the wrong way to do Smash on modern consoles.

What they SHOULD have done is make Smash "free-to-play" on the Switch (but substantially different than what that normally means). Buy a Switch, you get Smash, with like a half-dozen characters (say, Mario, Link, Pikachu, Kirby, DK, and Samus, plus Miis?). Then, every first or second party game, and any third-party games that want to, can add a new character, a new stage or two, and some items and junk. These are free with the game, or an amiibo, but can be bought separately as DLC at a reasonable price. So three ways to get the character, two of which cost the player nothing extra.

As a third-party dev, you would make the models and animations and such, and do the initial balancing, but would have to hand all that over as part of certification for the platform. That way, the post-release maintenance team can do balance patches and bugfixes. Because I just know everyone would try to make their character stupidly strong to get every competitive Smasher to buy their game. It's what I would do :D

And that would certainly make every third-party dev port their games to Switch, pronto, because this would boost sales like wildfire. Everyone shrugged at Skyrim on Switch... but put the Dragonborn in Smash, now we're talking. And this would make Smash a GLORIOUS mess.

They could even include bonuses with Virtual Console titles, to make it justifiable to spend $10 on a Super Nintendo game (and also actually do a Virtual Console, rather than this subscription nonsense). Get some assist trophies, reskins, some Mii parts, maybe a stage with it, and that might make it palatable to spend that much money on a game older than most Nintendo players these days.

But, sadly, Nintendo's sticking to their old "make a game and sell it" model. Which, okay, is a very good model, and I wish a lot of other devs would go back to it, but Smash is the best opportunity to really dive into the game-as-a-platform rolling-release paradigm.

That's pretty interesting. I think as logical as it may sound, Smash Bros is one of Nintendo's safest bets. While, yes, Sakurai is open to experimentation, we've seen historically that minor shit can lead to bitterness and resentment, so imagine the reactions if they changed the entire way to access the game to something similar to some mobile games, if I understand what you're saying. People will buy Smash Bros no matter what because everyone familiar knows about Smash Bros. Gotta take account of fans reactions to change unless you also took account of that. Add the Switch's popularity compared to the Wii U and I don't think Ultimate has much issue selling.

If you wanna experiment with how you sell your game, Smash Bros is not the game you choose.

1st Nov 2018, 1:58 PM #8
GMan003
I can explain
Bolderousness:Now I admit I'm ignorant on the business side of video games, but didn't people believe characters like Cloud and Snake were foregone conclusions due to their company histories? Like Square and Nintendo, if I remember correctly, had a bad break up back in the nineties and Konami had its own share of corporate notoriety involving pachinko machines. Microsoft is okay with working somewhat with Nintendo if Minecraft being on the Switch says anything. Nintendo, or at least Sakurai, remembers Banjo and Kazooie with the brown and red color scheme for Duck Hunt meant anything. I think it's not impossible for them to be in this game.

Square and Nintendo didn't really have a bad break, it was just the N64 was a really poor fit for the kind of games Square made. Cartridges are expensive, and don't hold much. The biggest N64 carts were 64MB and cost ~$40 to make - how many people would have bought FFVII if it had come on 26 cartridges and cost $800? There's a reason the only notable RPG in the entire console's library was Paper Mario, with it's mostly-2D art assets and lack of prerendered video.

So Square skipped the N64, and their main-line games didn't come back to Nintendo. But they still put out games on Nintendo hardware - all kinds of stuff on handhelds, Crystal Chronicles on the Gamecube, up to today, where Octopath Traveler is a Switch exclusive.

Konami just makes bad decisions, and treats their employees like crap. They'll license their IP to anyone whose checks don't bounce.

Minecraft is probably not a good example to focus on when looking at Microsoft. It was already on so many non-Microsoft platforms when they acquired it that it could never become an exclusive without seriously alienating their entire customer base. And they're treating it much differently than their other IPs - we haven't seen a full Halo game on PC (still a Microsoft platform!) in years, but Minecraft is ported to everything possible.

Bolderousness:That's pretty interesting. I think as logical as it may sound, Smash Bros is one of Nintendo's safest bets. While, yes, Sakurai is open to experimentation, we've seen historically that minor shit can lead to bitterness and resentment, so imagine the reactions if they changed the entire way to access the game to something similar to some mobile games, if I understand what you're saying. People will buy Smash Bros no matter what because everyone familiar knows about Smash Bros. Gotta take account of fans reactions to change unless you also took account of that. Add the Switch's popularity compared to the Wii U and I don't think Ultimate has much issue selling.

If you wanna experiment with how you sell your game, Smash Bros is not the game you choose.

Oh, I have no doubt Smash Ult will sell. But it will sell games - doing it my way would have sold consoles.

Think about it - pretend you're deciding which eighth-gen console to get, and you don't really care much about exclusives. You'll just be buying Madden, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and the like. You could get an Xbox One and get the game record stuff, or get it on Playstation 4 and have it look better, or you can get it on Switch and oh dang get Captain Price and Ezio in Smash? Hell yeah!

And Nintendo is actually pretty open to experimenting. Look at Breath of the Wild, that was a radical change for the series, first new game engine from scratch since Ocarina, and they went right into it, no fear. They took Metroid, handed it to a studio that had never made a game before, and let them turn it into a first-person shooter. That shouldn't have worked - but it did, and we got one of the best games of all time.
1st Nov 2018, 4:55 PM #9
Bolderousness
Wow reality stings.

Okay, so I guess I hyped it more than I thought. 40 minutes is a lot and I wasn't expecting it to be all over what is essentially a glorified event mode. I'm not bitter. I'm not even upset. I totally thought Geno and Banjo was almost mystical to be revealed, at least, now. The Geno dream might be dead if being a spirit character deconfirms you. I don't think they'd dedicate a stage to him, though, so oh well. Banjo still has a chance, but if GMan is correct, we just wont get Microsoft content at all. For me, the notorious Vergeben leaker has been on point for pretty almost every reveal he claimed, which is a majority of the reveals, and they're predicting Minecraft content and a Square Enix representative. That to me spells out two of the potential DLC representatives. That, or Minecraft will be a mii costume, and please dear lord let it be that. Vergeben has now officially become my only hope for Banjo and Kazooie.

That being said, I like the newcomers. Incineroar is this badass wrestler grappler with a lot of interesting specials. I don't care about Pokemon anymore, and I know some people were wanting the grass Owl starter, I think I could get practical use out of him. Plus he looks hilarious to use because he's a wrestler, and those guys always appealed to me for their showboating.

Ken is pretty hype. He is the echo fighter of fighting games and I think they've done enough to distinct him from Ryu similar to how Chrom sort of looks like his own character and not a palette swap.

Piranha Plant... Double edge. It's hilarious but I honestly think they should have played it predictable and went with a more distinct representative like Isaac or Custom Robo. At the very least, this goes to show I cannot predict which fighter is valid for Smash Bros anymore. Fucking open the floodgates even further. Put a fucking Redead in if you want. XD

I think the game will bring countless hours of fun and antics so I don't give a shit.

GMan003:Minecraft is probably not a good example to focus on when looking at Microsoft. It was already on so many non-Microsoft platforms when they acquired it that it could never become an exclusive without seriously alienating their entire customer base. And they're treating it much differently than their other IPs - we haven't seen a full Halo game on PC (still a Microsoft platform!) in years, but Minecraft is ported to everything possible.

Well mate, you might be right after today. My only argument is a vaguely reliable leaker so I guess I can't proceed further.

Think about it - pretend you're deciding which eighth-gen console to get, and you don't really care much about exclusives. You'll just be buying Madden, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and the like. You could get an Xbox One and get the game record stuff, or get it on Playstation 4 and have it look better, or you can get it on Switch and oh dang get Captain Price and Ezio in Smash? Hell yeah!

And Nintendo is actually pretty open to experimenting. Look at Breath of the Wild, that was a radical change for the series, first new game engine from scratch since Ocarina, and they went right into it, no fear. They took Metroid, handed it to a studio that had never made a game before, and let them turn it into a first-person shooter. That shouldn't have worked - but it did, and we got one of the best games of all time.

Hmmmm... You got me. I suppose it comes down to how you convince the fans of it. It would be another generation of gaming if it came down to that and I'll probably be less interested in gaming by then.

2nd Nov 2018, 4:52 AM #10
Text
And who could forget dear future knight
Registration date: 17th Dec 2011
Location: I̼̤̜̖̬̒͌ͬͦ t͒ͦh̤̗͢ȉ̪̥̏͛ͩͅn̺͙͕̳̈̉̏̎͑̐ ͞k ̜̫̓͑̉̿ͥ͑i̱t͎͇̦͊̊͢'s̝͈̩͓̠̊ ̅͡ ̪ͣͬͩ̾ͤ̎ḯ̭̻͔͕̖̟͐n̑͂͌͛͑ ͨ͆ͥͫͯt̟ͤ̌̔ẖ̡̝̤̹͓̳̎̓e̼̯͍̹̥ ͈ ̬̳̤̝͙̜̋̏̓̄un͉̯̣͎̥̮̍͒͐̆i͕̗ ̲̘͕̮̪ͫͯ̅̀v̡̠̟̰͚̘͙̂̾̅e͚͍̥̟̬ ̜̬̎͗͠rs̯̹ͪͧ͒e̶̺̅ͧ̎ͪ̅ ̵͙̝̖̮ṣ̪̒͘o̱͈̓͊me̝̹͉̥̳̓̍w̲ ̲̫̘̥̌ͪ͗̐ͨ͝h͆ͩer͓͇̪̫̂̊̆̄͛̊̀ ḙ͔͑ͤ́ͪ.̗̫
ON THAT DAY

WHEN THE SKY FELL AWAY

that is all
2nd Nov 2018, 5:29 AM #11
AlphaCalibri
Lowest Common Dominator
Registration date: 30th Apr 2015
honestly the direct has me mainly excited for World of Light

Ken? he’s cool
Incineroar? eh.
Piranha Plant? Honestly the best newcomer shown in that direct not gonna lie. Put in Shy Guy as DLC, Sakurai.

World of Light may not be Subspace Emissary 2, but it does look like a blast anyway.
so overall, im hyped for it
2nd Nov 2018, 5:56 AM #12
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
EVERYONE IS DEAD (except for one Very Squishy Boy)

I would have loved Mach Rider, but honestly I like the way things turned out better than the leak. Incineroar is the starter I went with in Sun/Moon, and he's just so entertaining the way they implemented him. Piranha Plant looks super fun and unique (also strong - what the heck is that aiming neck shoot move? and that recovery? bonkers), and it's honestly just really cute in its animations. I'm all on board the Audrey II hype train.

Oh and Ken's my Street Fighter main (specifically in 2 turbo), so I'm glad he's in. Though let's be honest... he was obviously in the game, so it wasn't so much of a shock.

Also I liked messing around with equipment in 4, so I'm happy there's a version of the concept that isn't absolutely awful.

As for what's next -

Last time DLC fighters were mainly third parties (of the four newcomers, three were third party), and I feel like this cycle may follow suit? The logic being that the issues with acquiring rights aren't as much of a problem when you don't have as strict a timetable, and royalties are easier to work out when each IP is being sold separately (i.e. there's no arguing over what percentage of Smash's sales are due to XYZ's inclusion, since all of the sales of the DLC pack are clearly due to the one IP).

Who would they be? Probably a second Square rep (Geno/Sora/Lara/Slime/Chrono), a Ubisoft rep (Rayman w/ M+R stage), possibly another Capcom rep (Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter), potentially another Bamco rep (Heihachi/Klonoa/some tails guy/like Goku i dunno), and maybe even a Bethesda rep (Doomguy/Vault Boy/Dragonborn)? Those are all companies that Nintendo seems to like nowadays.

It's tough to say whether a Microsoft rep(Banjo/Steve/Master Chief/Conker) would make it in, but they're leagues more likely than a Sony rep(Kratos/PaRappa/Ratchet & Clank/uhhh spiderman?). If nothing else, Microsoft and Nintendo do have crossplay with each others' servers (with Minecraft, Rocket League, and some other stuff i think), where Sony has turned both companies down. So there's probably a bit more of a relationship there.

oh and adeleine + ribbon as a new kirby rep please and thank you
3rd Nov 2018, 6:13 AM #13
junoro
yesterday, you said junoro
Registration date: 10th Jun 2014
I can't believe the actual disintegration of 99% of the entire cast like that. Kirby is one of my faves though so I'm sooo glad he's safe! Sakurai didn't kill his child in the end lol

World of Light looks like a fun time! 8D I'm excited.
3rd Nov 2018, 7:55 AM #14
khkddn
😽😺Death is upon us😻😸
Registration date: 29th Apr 2015
World of Light looks fun. I'm even more hyped about it because of the focus it seems to put on Kirby at the start. As a low key fan of him, that cinematic had me worried! His scene dragged on for so long... the suspense... :'(

I'm hoping for Bandana Dee as DeeLC. A regular Dee was among the spirits, but I didn't see any bandana, so it's still up in the air.
3rd Nov 2018, 2:43 PM #15
SharpyTheYellowKirby
got away with it
Registration date: 27th May 2014
Honestly the only thing I care about for Ultimate is that Ivysaur's back. There is not a single other thing I need. Tho Piranha Plant does look fun to play as, I'll probably check him out.
3rd Nov 2018, 4:38 PM #16
Bolderousness
snuffysam:I would have loved Mach Rider, but honestly I like the way things turned out better than the leak. Incineroar is the starter I went with in Sun/Moon, and he's just so entertaining the way they implemented him. Piranha Plant looks super fun and unique (also strong - what the heck is that aiming neck shoot move? and that recovery? bonkers), and it's honestly just really cute in its animations. I'm all on board the Audrey II hype train.

Oh and Ken's my Street Fighter main (specifically in 2 turbo), so I'm glad he's in. Though let's be honest... he was obviously in the game, so it wasn't so much of a shock.

I never played Sun & Moon but I actually love Incineroar now. It's the Pokemon with the most personality and I love him for it. His "flaming passion" is his idea of a counter and he taunts after every attack. That is hilarious and awesome. I would have liked the leak to be real but this is a fine reality. Ultimate was already a sold for me before this direct so everything we got from it is really a bonus.

Who would they be? Probably a second Square rep (Geno/Sora/Lara/Slime/Chrono), a Ubisoft rep (Rayman w/ M+R stage), possibly another Capcom rep (Phoenix Wright/Monster Hunter), potentially another Bamco rep (Heihachi/Klonoa/some tails guy/like Goku i dunno), and maybe even a Bethesda rep (Doomguy/Vault Boy/Dragonborn)? Those are all companies that Nintendo seems to like nowadays.

It's tough to say whether a Microsoft rep(Banjo/Steve/Master Chief/Conker) would make it in, but they're leagues more likely than a Sony rep(Kratos/PaRappa/Ratchet & Clank/uhhh spiderman?). If nothing else, Microsoft and Nintendo do have crossplay with each others' servers (with Minecraft, Rocket League, and some other stuff i think), where Sony has turned both companies down. So there's probably a bit more of a relationship there.

I feel we'll get at least one Nintendo Rep, one Square Enix rep, and one Microsoft rep. I think realistically, a Namco representative is possible. Soul Calibur and Tekken are what immediately come to mind but I would also appreciate some Tales Of representative or retro Namco character. Capcom might also throw its hat in the ring again since they seem to love including itself in the game. I'd be stoked to see what they do now that the obvious choices are pretty much deconfirmed or confirmed (Guile, Ken, Zero).

I can't really predict Sakurai beyond that, though. After Piranha Plant, where should my mind even go anymore?

Merged Doublepost:

junoro:I can't believe the actual disintegration of 99% of the entire cast like that. Kirby is one of my faves though so I'm sooo glad he's safe! Sakurai didn't kill his child in the end lol

World of Light looks like a fun time! 8D I'm excited.

I hope it has co-op so my brother and I can play those crazy scenarios together. It looks like a good way to kill time and develop my knowledge on the mechanics.

Merged Doublepost:

The best part about Spirits is that it's pretty much a glorified Event mode (with trophies and stat buffers). Once I realized that, I was pretty much sold. I don't care about the rewards, but the fights themselves look fun.

3rd Nov 2018, 5:13 PM #17
snuffysam

Registration date: 27th Feb 2014
My assumption for "Spirits Mode" is that the button on the menu screen actually leads to a submenu like Smash/Games & More do. Inside the Spirits submenu, there's World of Light, Wanted Poster Mode (aka better events), and all the training/treasure hunting stuff they talked about.

And honestly, that's a great way to organize things (better than Smash Wii U, at least). Games & More is home to the arcade-like activities, Spirits is home to the modes focused around progression (gaining spirits, leveling up spirits, world of light in general). So there's one disaster solved.

-

If we're talking another Capcom rep that IS from Street Fighter or Mega Man - Chun Li or Roll would be my bet.
Roll would be more interesting with a broom up special, Rush Jet side special, Auto for her smashes, Eddie for her down special letting her summon certain (hopefully not OP) items, and probably Splash Woman's trident in there somewhere.
But Chun Li has a lot of history behind her and would be easier to implement so she's a possibility too.

OH and I forgot Sega as a possibility. Probably no more Bayonetta characters since the obvious choice would be an echo (and the other obvious choice is an assist). But... Tails could get in? Kiryu? Aiai?
4th Nov 2018, 3:37 AM #18
Bolderousness
snuffysam:If we're talking another Capcom rep that IS from Street Fighter or Mega Man - Chun Li or Roll would be my bet.
Roll would be more interesting with a broom up special, Rush Jet side special, Auto for her smashes, Eddie for her down special letting her summon certain (hopefully not OP) items, and probably Splash Woman's trident in there somewhere.
But Chun Li has a lot of history behind her and would be easier to implement so she's a possibility too.

You're not wrong. It's not like Chun-Li was overtly deconfirmed so maybe she could get in. I'd personally like to see someone beyond Megaman or Street Fighter, but I'm open. Roll? Hmmm... I'm inclined to think that these next characters will be uber hype material or at least insanely unpredictable. Worthy enough to get a stage, you know? If they didn't put Zero in, I don't think they would go with Roll. Same with Chun-Li but I think her odds are greater than Roll's.

OH and I forgot Sega as a possibility. Probably no more Bayonetta characters since the obvious choice would be an echo (and the other obvious choice is an assist). But... Tails could get in? Kiryu? Aiai?

I actually don't know much about Sega beyond Sonic. Maybe NiGHTS, but that might be reaching. I'd dig her inclusion because that game could look beautiful on the Switch, but I digress.

There are rumors that Granblue Fantasy will be represented with this character named Katalina. I know nothing about this franchise. Apparently it started as a mobile game but is now getting a Playstation 4 game called Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link.

This is the main character:

Other than that weird belly button jewel in her armor, I like her design. Not sure what she can do, but we never got a knight in Smash Bros, have we? I guess technically Fire Emblem is the closest to a Knight class but I like those guys anyways. I'd dig her.

4th Nov 2018, 7:03 AM #19
NeilKapit

Registration date: 9th Feb 2014
KAZUHIRA MILLER CONFIRMED FOR SMASH! Wait, it's only as a spirit? Awww, THEY PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!
6th Nov 2018, 1:20 AM #20
Sovember

Registration date: 23rd Dec 2015
NeilKapit:KAZUHIRA MILLER CONFIRMED FOR SMASH! Wait, it's only as a spirit? Awww, THEY PLAYED US LIKE A DAMN FIDDLE!

I was beyond hyped as I read this at first, the tears are real lol. “Why are we still here? Just to suffer?”
I continue to prove I'm a naive filthy casual the grinch leak fooled me too.

in better news the story mode looks like it has potential despite not being a subspace emissary 2 and as long as I can falcon punch a new generation people im golden!