Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - I Might Need Photoshop Subscription, Or... GIMP? (Photoshop CS2 No Longer Works On My Windows 10 Computer)

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > I Might Need Photoshop Subscription, Or... GIMP? (Photoshop CS2 No Longer Works On My Windows 10 Computer)
Pages: [1] [2]

"I Might Need Photoshop Subscription, Or... GIMP? (Photoshop CS2 No Longer Works On My Windows 10 Computer)", 13 days ago, 2:07 AM #1
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Registration date: 6th Mar 2012
Photoshop CS2 was working quite well on my Windows 10 computer, but the last couple forced Windows updates seems to have broken it. I've uninstalled the dumb Windows updates, repaired Photoshop CS2, then finally uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop CS2... but it just keeps crashing within a minute or less, over and over. I'm incredibly annoyed, angry even -- I didn't want to EVER update Windows 10, but there seems to be no stopping it, and I guess my shiny new computer will just get shittier and shittier as a result. Sigh.

Anyway, should I choose to succumb to Adobe's monthly fleecings, I'm not sure which subscription I should get:

Adobe Ripoff Nonsense Plan #1:Photography Plan

All your photography essentials:

Photoshop CC
Lightroom CC
Lightroom Classic

Also included in your plan:

Step-by-step tutorials
Adobe Spark with premium features

Cloud storage options:
20GB storage
$9.99/mo

OR

Adobe Ripoff Nonsense Plan #2:Photoshop CC Plan

The world's best imaging and design app:

Photoshop CC

Also included in your plan:

Step-by-step tutorials
Adobe Spark with premium features
Premium fonts
100GB of cloud storage

$20.99/mo.

These plans both seem to have a full version of Photoshop I guess; I don't care about cloud storage, assuming I'm able to just save everything to my computer and open/save locally. (So far, my CS2 Illustrator is still working, so I don't need the super-duper plan with 5,000,000 apps.)

Alternate plan: is it time to switch to GIMP? Will my old heavily multi-layered Photoshop-built pages even be properly editable in GIMP? Can one really professionally color a comic in GIMP?
13 days ago, 2:47 AM #2
Eli Cosmanis

Registration date: 8th Apr 2018
The photography suite is the one I've heard oft recommended for artists.

GIMP only really works if you're stubborn enough to learn a brand new workflow, nothing much carries over from the adobe suite in the way of keyboard shortcuts, and even other things like copy and paste have odd little nuances to them.
But that doesn't mean open source should be disregarded, this guy does a comic entirely with open source software https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7olKdIEtNQ (I don't know how to embed youtube on here.)
Clip Studio Paint on the other hand mimics the Photoshop workflow well, so also something to look at.

Hope this helps.
13 days ago, 3:31 AM #3
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Eli Cosmanis:The photography suite is the one I've heard oft recommended for artists.

GIMP only really works if you're stubborn enough to learn a brand new workflow...

I tried GIMP while awaiting a reply; it doesn't seem to recognize the layers in my layered files, so it's useless for me.

I'm looking at the Photography Suite TOS:
Adobe's Dumb Rules:
6.2 Misuse. You must not misuse the Services or Software. For example, you must not:

(g) upload or share any Content that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, tortious, defamatory, libelous, vulgar, lewd, profane, invasive of another’s privacy, or hateful;

...several of my comic's pages could be described as vulgar, lewd, and/or profane in their featuring of violence, sex, nudity, and/or expletives. Does this mean I'd have to live in constant fear of having my account suspended?
13 days ago, 4:47 AM #4
TheHiddenElephant

Registration date: 1st Dec 2017
I don't think so? Look, there's probably loads of people that do worse than you with the program in terms of vulgarity and whatnot, but it's based off of opinion. I don't know what images you're talking about, but I think you're good. If you really don't know, search the web. Try every combination of keywords you can think of and go look for answers. If it's happened before, some very irate customers would probably leave their voices somewhere on the internet.
13 days ago, 4:50 AM #5
E-hero Vulven
tells us a tale of e-bravery
Registration date: 17th Mar 2012
Krita? Paint.net? I know I'm missing another freeware art program...
13 days ago, 5:45 AM #6
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
I signed up for the $9.99 monthly plan with a 7 day free trial on the front end... so far, I loathe everything about it.

I was forced to install Lightroom CC first, a program I will never, ever use. It took almost 15 minutes, making it officially the longest install I've ever dealt with for any program on any computer.

Then I installed Photoshop CC, and that took about 10 minutes, vastly longer than any Photoshop install I've ever done.

...and my reward for all this time and effort? A super-clunky version of Photoshop wherein every last element is ham-handedly larger and uglier than it was in Photoshop CS2. The "modern" version of the program is hideously inelegant. It's also so dark by default that the rulers are almost unreadable, and I almost can't see where my black-bordered page ends and the work window begins. I had to dig into the preferences to fix its vampiric dimness. The "marching ants" bordering a selection are slower and the dashes larger, making them harder on the eyes. The zoom in/out is, like... animated now? It gives a bit of a vertigo sensation to watch it. The swatches are cartoonishly large by default; when I go all Reducto and shrink 'em down, I can't resize the palette window small enough to have them all line up in the order they did in CS2. It's off by ONE swatch. It's ONE swatch too wide. Like... WHY?

(At least it's backwards compatible enough to even load my old swatches.)

I was expecting one great new feature: the ability to create angled (not rounded) strokes around text. But if there's a way to do it, it's not immediately available in the effects/stroke dialogue box. Very disappointing, as this was the ONLY potential new PS feature I had any interest in.

Overall, this new version feels like a huge step backward from CS2. It looks like some weird amalgam of iPod simplicity meets late-'90s Windows. And I get to pay monthly for it, even though I already own Photoshop CS2, yay!

...I am unhappy.
13 days ago, 6:17 AM #7
Jessie Blue

Registration date: 9th Feb 2015
I'm using Photoshop CC 2015, and it isn't like that. Have you seen if you can with your membership download an older version of it? (and oh is this thread making me dread when I will no longer have PS through school)
13 days ago, 6:30 AM #8
smbhax

Registration date: 19th Nov 2009
Dang, that's really unfortunate about CS2. (*gets worried, goes and checks his*) Mine still seems to be okay on Win10--granted, I don't use it all that much.

Could it be some other program, even some sort of malware, interfering with CS2? Was there any other software you installed or upgraded lately that's running in the background?
13 days ago, 6:37 AM #9
JC Webcomics

Registration date: 7th Mar 2016
I'd recommend giving Clip Studio Paint a try - from an illustration point of view, even the cheaper package does everything I need it to, and better than Photoshop does. Also it's a one-off payment rather than a subscription.
13 days ago, 6:51 AM #10
BeeMKay

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2017
Clip Studio has a ton of useful functions.
I use Photoshop Elements, and it does most of the layering things, but you can't for example use depht masks and some other nifty stuff.
I don't know if you need the advanced features for postwork - otherwise, Elements and Clip Studio do the job just fine.
13 days ago, 7:15 AM #11
SinisterRabbit

Registration date: 21st Jul 2015
Consider Affinity Photo. Waaaay cheaper than Adobe because you only have to pay one time fee, $49.99.

It also has most of Photoshop's features plus other features. It can open PSD files.

If you prefer free, there's Krita and Fire Alpaca.
13 days ago, 7:32 AM #12
dpat57
Oh Yeah!
Registration date: 14th Oct 2010
Too late now, you've already signed up, but Paint.NET has a PS extension that allows it to open PS files, I've tried this, it worked okay, I was able to update book covers for a buddy who lost her artist. Once updated, I saved in native Paint.NET format for speed and easy future re-use. Layers were preserved.
13 days ago, 9:29 AM #13
ratt
And who could forget dear ratboy?
Registration date: 25th Feb 2014
I'd also strong suggest you try out the clip studio free trail- or even just any other program that is specifically designed for illustration
13 days ago, 5:11 PM #14
atomicgull
formerly
Registration date: 2nd Jun 2016
I feel for you! I had the same happen. I have used ps elements, the cheap version, for years... elements v6! Since like 2008! I dont want an upgrade, it does everything I need and I know it so very well. But around Christmas it stopped opening, and if it did it would crash whenever I saved.

I tried the free trial of the new one.... and I hated it. One tool I use a lot (liquify) was so different.

I agree with the poster who suggested interference by something else. After a few weeks elements began working perfectly for me again. I dont know what happened, or how it was fixed. Maybe another 10 update solved what it previously broke. Who knows but I'm so happy.

Not that this is helpful to you except to say, fingers crossed for you, maybe it will be better in a week or two.
13 days ago, 5:29 PM #15
HeSerpenty

Registration date: 23rd Nov 2012
I had the Adobe rip off plan #1 for the longest time til I got Clip Studio. I got that adobe shiz off my computer ASAP and it worked a lot better. Buuut now it's back cuz I needed it for school and I bought the student package that is EVERYTHING adobe for a year for like $200 or whatever it was :/

If you want it just for comics.......I'd strongly urge a different program x"D. But if you do any other photography/graphic design stuff you should waste the money on photoshop x"D. That's my opinion anyway!

13 days ago, 6:29 PM #16
Robotwin.com

Registration date: 22nd Sep 2010
@Tibbittz - Have you tried setting compatibility mode on the CS2 exe file?

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/technology/personaltech/finding-compatibility-with-windows-10.html

Another thing to try is a virtual machine or dual booting with an older version of Windows. CS2 also supposedly works in Wine and ReactOS.
13 days ago, 6:42 PM #17
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
I'm losing my mind. New Photoshop brush selection is laughably anemic, to say the least. Anyone know where I can find all of CS2's default brushes online, in some kind of mega-pack, to install into new-PS?

Merged Doublepost:

Robotwin.com:Have you tried setting compatibility mode on the CS2 exe file? https://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/technology/personaltech/finding-compatibility-with-windows-10.html

Another thing to try is a virtual machine or dual booting with an older version of Windows. CS2 also supposedly works in Wine and ReactOS.

I've tried compatibility, yes. Compatibility, incredibly, wasn't an issue on my virgin Windows 10, before Windows 10 corrupted itself with its own terrible updating.

I'll look into the virtual machine idea. I found that CS2 will work on Wine; I'm so annoyed with Windows 10 that I'm seriously considering abandoning it and converting my computer to a Linux Ubuntu machine. It'd take all day... but it might be worth it.

(Of course, Final Draft wouldn't work on it, but I could demand a refund and buy FadeIn instead.)
13 days ago, 6:59 PM #18
Sikyanakotik
really tolerated
Registration date: 12th Sep 2017
I've found GIMP to be great for editing but poor for drawing, while Krita is the other way around. That's why I use each for what they're best at.
13 days ago, 7:28 PM #19
Proxy170

Registration date: 3rd Nov 2013
Caley Tibbittz Collopy:I'm losing my mind. New Photoshop brush selection is laughably anemic, to say the least. Anyone know where I can find all of CS2's default brushes online, in some kind of mega-pack, to install into new-PS?

All the Kyle T. Webster brushes come free now for Photoshop subscribers, and imo it's totally worth it. There's a bunch of tutorials on how to download this massive library of brushes, but here's the Adobe link:

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/brushes.html?promoid=XKMMHH6G&mv=other

As someone who used CS4 for the longest time and loathed the idea of subscribing to Ps...I actually now think it's worth it. It's constantly updated and therefore never buggy for me, and of course you get all the free stuff, like brushes. The cloud space is nice, because it keeps all your files in case you lose your laptop. And Ps has come a LONG way since CS4, let alone CS2.

It'll take time to get used to it, much like any other change in life, but for the price of one pizza/two Starbucks/etc a month, it's worth it. Just think about how much time you spend on Ps...it comes out to pennies an hour.
13 days ago, 7:39 PM #20
Caley Tibbittz Collopy
Sword dude
Proxy170:It'll take time to get used to it, much like any other change in life, but for the price of one pizza/two Starbucks/etc a month, it's worth it. Just think about how much time you spend on Ps...it comes out to pennies an hour.

That's a good perspective... for anyone who isn't a bitter miserly old man at 37. I'm like a young Grandpa Simpson over here.

Proxy170:All the Kyle T. Webster brushes come free now for Photoshop subscribers, and imo it's totally worth it. There's a bunch of tutorials on how to download this massive library of brushes, but here's the Adobe link:

https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/brushes.html?promoid=XKMMHH6G&mv=other

As someone who used CS4 for the longest time and loathed the idea of subscribing to Ps...I actually now think it's worth it. It's constantly updated and therefore never buggy for me, and of course you get all the free stuff, like brushes. The cloud space is nice, because it keeps all your files in case you lose your laptop. And Ps has come a LONG way since CS4, let alone CS2.

Thanks for the brush tip.

...but, I'm not seeing how the program has come a long way since CS2. The drop-down menus are almost exactly the same (which is nice, actually), and the color palette and layers list are basically the same too (just uglier and more space-consuming). Could you (or anyone, really) please tell me what's so great about the newest Photoshop in comparison to CS2? I was expecting angled/squared strokes, and I didn't get them... what notable improvements have been made in the last 13-ish years? What can PS do now that my cartoonishly expensive and still-working-'til-this-week CS2 can't do?
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > I Might Need Photoshop Subscription, Or... GIMP? (Photoshop CS2 No Longer Works On My Windows 10 Computer)
Pages: [1] [2]