Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Long form stories and how long do you plan writing one project

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Webcomic & Art discussion > Long form stories and how long do you plan writing one project
Pages: [1]

"Long form stories and how long do you plan writing one project", 13 days ago, 9:58 PM #1
defo18

Registration date: 18th Aug 2012
Maybe it's the way I grew up but I've always been a fan of stories that were a little longer or even took years to finish. And I find myself writing this way every time I start a project.

For example I like to use "Shonen pacing" because most of my work is shonen influenced but I know the pitfalls of writing a long story. And at worst I never finish it because it's so long but I can't find a way to say everything I want to say if I dnot write it long.

For example. I was felt like a chapter or two was not enough to really develop a character. A great way I see this done in a lot of my favorite anime or manga was that they usually stretched out the characterization throughout many artists or usually devoted one arc to not just overall plot but the development of a character.

Naruto does this a lot when it comes to Sasuke.

Hunter X Hunter does it beautifully with Kurapika.

One could argue that they took away attention from the main character but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the story because I got to see the world through another characters eyes and it still move the plot along.

But I'm so hesitant to start riding again because I don't want to start a project knowing it may take years to finish and then quitting in the middle of it .
13 days ago, 11:14 PM #2
deo101

Registration date: 26th Sep 2017
Personally, I think there is value to be had in both long-form and short-form stories.
Though, I generally prefer writing long-form stories. I think it is really important to be sure that it doesn't start to drag on though.
I think as writers we should be able to write either kind of story in order to not get "caught up" or potentially limited by one or the other. You should be able to know how to keep a story exciting for a long time, and also to be able to boil it down to a few important pages, or even a few powerful words.

And I would say about your fear of quitting, just do it anyways!
even if you only get like 2 pages into it and then quit, its better to have made those pages than not. If you get 3 years in and realize you don't like it anymore, quit then! If you make a thousand pages and then hate it, who cares! You made those and you learned and you wouldn't have known otherwise if it was important to you or not.
12 days ago, 4:25 AM #3
JackFractal

Registration date: 4th Aug 2017
Why not do what a lot of people do episodic stuff!

Create a small story, but one that fits into a big world, a world where you can tell lots of stories.

Make your episodes complete, a full beginning, middle and end, and then, when you're done - do another one. Maybe with the same characters, maybe with different characters.

This gives you the benefits of extended characterization for your main characters, while also letting you stop whenever you need too.

Want to do an episode with Sasuke? Do an episode with Sasuke!

It also lets you put the episodes on a shelf and go "I did something. I completed it."

And if you do your episodes well enough, then people can kind of stop wherever, and have had a good and complete experience with your comic. There's a last episode of any given series of Star Trek, but you don't really have to watch them in order to get something out of them.

The key is to pick a context where you can do episodic storytelling easily. Look at successful episodic shows for this. Bleach? Not a good model. That's just one continuous story broken into pieces. One Piece? Considerably better, though the episodes are really long. Adventure Time? Yesssss, episodes are eleven minutes long and tell a full story while expanding the world and continuing character plot-lines.

So that's my recommendation. Tell multiple, small, discrete, powerful stories within a continuous world.
12 days ago, 10:43 AM #4
Leafa
was along for the ride
Registration date: 22nd Sep 2009
JackFractal:Why not do what a lot of people do episodic stuff!

Create a small story, but one that fits into a big world, a world where you can tell lots of stories.

Make your episodes complete, a full beginning, middle and end, and then, when you're done - do another one. Maybe with the same characters, maybe with different characters.

This gives you the benefits of extended characterization for your main characters, while also letting you stop whenever you need too.

Want to do an episode with Sasuke? Do an episode with Sasuke!

It also lets you put the episodes on a shelf and go "I did something. I completed it."

And if you do your episodes well enough, then people can kind of stop wherever, and have had a good and complete experience with your comic. There's a last episode of any given series of Star Trek, but you don't really have to watch them in order to get something out of them.

The key is to pick a context where you can do episodic storytelling easily. Look at successful episodic shows for this. Bleach? Not a good model. That's just one continuous story broken into pieces. One Piece? Considerably better, though the episodes are really long. Adventure Time? Yesssss, episodes are eleven minutes long and tell a full story while expanding the world and continuing character plot-lines.

So that's my recommendation. Tell multiple, small, discrete, powerful stories within a continuous world.

This is the approach I'm hoping to take if/when I do a more long form comic - I'm vaguely planning one at the moment with the thought "If Cartoon Network or Disney gave me a series of 6 20 minute long episodes, what would i do with that?" And then doing it as a comic, with episodic stories that build up to a "season finale".
12 days ago, 4:34 PM #5
JackFractal

Registration date: 4th Aug 2017
That sounds really awesome Leafa!

I plan on doing something similar if/when I ever manage to finish the massively over-long behemoth that I'm currently working on. : )

Though, in my case, I'm planning on doing little 12 page episodes, rather than... hmm. I'm not sure how long a 20 minute cartoon would be.

40 pages per episode maybe? Have you decided yet?