Comic Fury Webcomic Hosting - Composition Critique for Promo Art

You are not logged in. Log in, Register, More info
Forum > Critique > Composition Critique for Promo Art
Pages: [1]

"Composition Critique for Promo Art", One week ago, 11:39 PM #1
megamaster

Registration date: 23rd Jul 2010
Hey fellow Furyians, I need some feedback!
I had a really cool idea for a segment in my comic. I really like the idea of free running/parkour and I wanted to add it to my story world somehow.
Because everyone in my comic is a mechanic I thought it would be cool for some of my characters to participate in this underground sport.

For this free running sport they develop machines and equipment to help them navigate through a parkour course throughout cities as fast possible.
The aim for it is to be exciting, dangerous, and maybe a little illegal lol

Let me know how the pic looks so far

I work in black and white so composition is very important for me.
If you guys have any suggestions about maybe some cool details to add, let me know!
6 days ago, 12:18 AM #2
MK_Wizard

Registration date: 17th Jun 2017
So far, it is off to a good start. It's eye catching, animated looking, it stays true to the vision and it is enticing. I look forward to seeing the final product. I would say you are on the right track.
6 days ago, 1:05 AM #3
lirvilas
Venture Capitalist
Registration date: 24th Mar 2014
Nice composition, though I'd ask why is the direction of action right-to-left?

Are you writing in Japanese?
6 days ago, 1:21 AM #4
Spelledeg
🥔 Potato Parttaker 🥔
Registration date: 15th Aug 2014
Darken your foreground character, she gets lost tonally from the rest and so does that second person on the furthest right. I would also add an element in the background that draws the eye in that diagonal slope that your characters are going along, or something to echo that and pull the eye from one side of the image to the other.

Echoing Lirv, what direction is this meant to read? why RtL?
6 days ago, 2:16 AM #5
deo101
pungent
Registration date: 26th Sep 2017

I agree, I think the characters all need more contrast to them. I also think the foreground should be much darker, and it could have some more elements pointing at the focal point. I think in general though it needs a lot more contrast.

You could probably add a gradient or something to push the direction of this, specifically in that big open area on the left. I also think that area could have some indications of buildings in the back, and it would be neat to maybe see a character back there, too (though, I don't know if there is a specific parkour path they need to be taking that would stop that)

It looks great, but I think you could work to fill up that space and push the contrast some more.
6 days ago, 2:30 AM #6
Cooke
it's pronounced "Kooky"
Registration date: 4th Sep 2016
It looks a bit flat given that it's framed from the side. If this is later on in the sequence after they've been racing for a while, it works as a lul in the action. If it's the start of the race, I'm not catching the excitement. I think a three quarter view with the characters coming towards the reader along a steep vanishing point will make them jump out way more and relay that sense of action, danger and energy.
6 days ago, 2:52 AM #7
megamaster

Registration date: 23rd Jul 2010
Thanks for the feedback
@deo101 & @spelledeg the contrast definitely helps it stand out more. I like the suggestion and example to go along with it.

@Cooke
You make a really good point. If the race was just starting out I think it would good to shift up the perspective. In this scene I think I wanted to show more of the air time and make it look as if you were watching this out your back window. Lol just seeing a bunch of kids fly by

@Lirvilas
I don't know, it's just the way I imagined haha

@MK Wizards
Thanks!